REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 250 of 252 1 2 248 249 250 251 252
Re: south bay..... [Re: LogHauler] #2930232
03/20/19 12:34 AM
03/20/19 12:34 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

I'll repeat- land mark status is something that is entered into voluntarily by the owner. It is never conferred by the city without the owner's consent and certainly cannot be added after the purchase without the owner's consent. And I'll repeat- once landmark status is granted it is usually considered an added value to a property (see listing below) not a liabilty.

Of the situation you describe, an owner whose house is designated a "resource" after they purchased it (mind you, the resource survey was done in 1986) only A and B rated are required to have Commission permission to be torn down. Here's an example of a B rated property-

Would you really rather have this in its place?

Here's a story about a recently landmarked property-
http://tbrnews.com/news/this-south-redon...0df7e87dd2.html

Here's the listing-
https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/ho...569_rect/14_zm/

The landmark status definitely did not hurt the value.

Re: south bay..... [Re: mc] #2930233
03/20/19 12:43 AM
03/20/19 12:43 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Another B rated, just so you understand what is being protected. Surfdog will recognized this one and its neighbors.

Re: south bay..... [Re: patrolman] #2930311
03/20/19 05:10 AM
03/20/19 05:10 AM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Tom Curren status
Surfdog  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Oceanside,CA
Originally Posted By: patrolman
Another B rated, just so you understand what is being protected. Surfdog will recognized this one and its neighbors.

Yep, recognized it right away. Painted a bit different now, but style recognition was instant. That block has a stretch of some really nice old homes there all in a row. Grew up with a kid that lived in one of those. My house was just a couple blocks away. Broadway also has a few left in different styles and eras. Those small Spanish tile accented ones with arched entries and such, were 1930's or so I think? My first job as a kid was just a couple houses down at the little market. Box boy and clean-up after hours.

Some may think these old houses are just "termite dust" in waiting. But most don't realize that these earlier 1900's era homes are almost completely built from redwood. Framing, plastered over redwood lathe and most every wood feature. Redwood is naturally termite resistant and it's why many that were kept in at least half-way decent condition survived to this day, while later homes built mostly from soft pine are already termite dust and long gone.

That was one feature my dad pointed out when we bought our little pad in Redondo on the Coast Hwy inland a couple blocks from that house pictured. Termites hate redwood. Our house was kind of a duplex set-up with another newer home (late 1930's) build next to it as a split level going up a small hillside. That newer home had mixed pine and redwood, and sure enough, the pine portions succumbed to termites over the years, while the older original little home built in 1912 never had any termite problems. Those 2 homes ended up paying the $100 mortgage when dad rented out the newer one for a few years. Hard to imagine a barely $22k home in South Redondo as recent as 1969. A $20k mortgage, and a $100 a month payment. hat

Now, it's worth $1 million easy. Parents sold it in 1980 for $100k and dad thought he hit the jackpot. That 500% increase in 10 years was due more to high inflation in the mid-late 70's than RE price speculation, though that did start jumping more in the 80's in South Redondo. By the time I could possibly think of buying in Redondo, it was WAY the hell out of my league. Most people I went to school with also ended up leaving. Only ones that stayed, for the most part, were the kids that inherited their parents homes. Now, it's insane what $800-900k will barely get you in South Redondo. I don't think you could even touch a stand-alone little bungalow shack for much under $1 million.

Patrolman, it's great you were able to find one without paying all arms and legs. I still love that little slice of out-of-the-way LA. Being farther away from the freeways keeps it a bit quieter and mellower than other more dense and congested beach towns to the north. Also the older, wider streets there give a much more open feel to that part of Redondo that's rare to find most anywhere else along the So Cal coast.

Keep us posted on Don's house, and I will forward any hearing info to the old crew that's still around. One is a former LA lifeguard that still charges hard in surf and free-dive spear fishing to this day. You may even know him? Paul H.?

Surf 'em if you got 'em
Re: south bay..... [Re: Surfdog] #2930321
03/20/19 06:06 AM
03/20/19 06:06 AM
RatBeach
B
buttholesurfer Offline
Duke status
buttholesurfer  Offline
Duke status
B

RatBeach
Originally Posted By: Surfdog
Originally Posted By: patrolman
Hey PPK, did you know Don Swift?

How about Butthole, when you see this, you must have known him...

Hey patrolman. I grew up with Don Swift as a Topaz local myself in the 70's and 80's. He was probably the nicest and most down to earth guy of the whole 60's/70's/80's Topaz crew of that era. He was basically thee Kahuna, great board shaper, glasser and craftsman in general. Inspired many to go on to be board shapers and glassers to this day. So many others of his era were hard-core local enforcers, with a few others lost to hard drugs and other vices. He was a true waterman and as humble as anyone could ever be.

I didn't know his house was considered a historical significant home? There were a lot of those in coastal South Redondo. Even the home I grew up in on the coast hwy there from '69 to '80 was one of the early ones dating to at least 1912. Still had the old gas lamp fixtures on the walls just below the ceilings. All redwood framing and plastered lathe. Classic old school construction and finishes.

Sad to see so many of these old homes get demolished and turned into boring, multi-unit townhomes.

It's nothing new though. It's started in earnest in the mid-80's, when RE prices in the area escalated, and owners were cashing out. Being bought up by builders taking advantage of very deep but somewhat narrow lots. So, they'd put anywhere from 2 to 4+ unit townhomes on them, and make a killing.

Redondo city council was so corrupt back then, they'd allow changes to zoning basically over-night, in some cases from R1/R2 to R6 or higher. That's why you see all those high-rise condo's along the Esplanade. There were once 2 or 3 incredibly good condition old homes in place of those monoliths. They got bought out, re-zoned, and built those ugly 6-8 story monstrosities in their place. This kind of stuff going on helped inspire the CCC (Cal Coastal Commission) to help prevent this stuff from going down further. Now the CCC's power in itself is kind of corrupt, but that's another thread.

What was bad/ironic, was one of the contractors that built many of those, actually owned a home along the Esplanade. His oceanfront house is still there to this day between Topaz and Sapphire st. I surfed with his sons all the time (one was really good), but didn't find out it was their dad until years later. As groms we used to play havoc during construction of those condos, and with the advent of urethane wheels, we used to sneak in and skateboard the parking structure below them. One had this cool spiral down about 3-4 levels. It was so slick, only urethane wheels even had a chance to grip with the constant sharp turning going down at speed. Others had dual entrance banked ramps between, so kind of like a half pool section.

Not sure what can be done to stop the demolition of Don Swift's place, but if enough people get involved soon, they might have a chance. Good luck if you're part of that team. I know a few people I grew up with that still live in that immediate area. If they don't know about it, I can let them know.

Hey patrolman, did you go to Don Swift's paddle out at Topaz jetty back in June 2017? I HAD to make that one. I was afraid it was going to take the passing of one of the legends of Topaz to get all the old crew together, and that was it. Met a lot of old surf buds and So Bay legends. Probably well over 100 paddled out. I got a video grab from the recently installed Surfline cam (ugh. made itself useful for once) of the event and posted it on a FB site (old locals site). Lifeguard fire-boat with fire-hose going off and everything. It was an epic and fitting tribute to an epic waterman.

Well said! bowdown cheers beer

Re: south bay..... [Re: PPK96754] #2941597
04/12/19 11:36 PM
04/12/19 11:36 PM
RatBeach
B
buttholesurfer Offline
Duke status
buttholesurfer  Offline
Duke status
B

RatBeach
Originally Posted by PPK96754
Originally Posted by buttholesurfer
Originally Posted by OBSurvivor
I need to visit South Bay one day. Not to surf, just wanna explore, indulge in the beer, food, music, nightlife scene. Would you guys rather live in South Bay than San Diego?

Bring it on!Just bring an open mind! roflmao confused[b][/b]

Buttman knows!! The invite say's "we go brah" beer smokin dancing
And he get da Wahine's too!

quote=buttholesurfer] [Linked Image]

Yummy!

Re: south bay..... [Re: mc] #2952753
05/10/19 09:40 PM
05/10/19 09:40 PM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

I've been driving by the beach every day this week hoping for a surf but it's been too small. Today it's flat. And I mean flat. It was almost fascinating to see the Pacific Ocean this calm-

[Linked Image]

Re: south bay..... [Re: patrolman] #2952755
05/10/19 09:45 PM
05/10/19 09:45 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Originally Posted by patrolman
I've been driving by the beach every day this week hoping for a surf but it's been too small. Today it's flat. And I mean flat. It was almost fascinating to see the Pacific Ocean this calm-

[Linked Image]

Looked like Kauai's East side this AM ~
And the north shore
Summertime surf up next
socrazy

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: south bay..... [Re: patrolman] #2952758
05/10/19 09:49 PM
05/10/19 09:49 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted by patrolman
It was almost fascinating to see the Pacific Ocean this calm-

I say the same thing all the time... The biggest ocean in the world and there's absolutely nothing moving the water.

Should fill in nicely by the middle of next week. wave2

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: south bay..... [Re: PPK96754] #2953094
05/12/19 11:01 AM
05/12/19 11:01 AM
RatBeach
B
buttholesurfer Offline
Duke status
buttholesurfer  Offline
Duke status
B

RatBeach
Originally Posted by PPK96754
Originally Posted by OBSurvivor
I need to visit South Bay one day. Not to surf, just wanna explore, indulge in the beer, food, music, nightlife scene. Would you guys rather live in South Bay than San Diego?

Bring it on!Just bring an open mind! roflmao confused[b][/b]

Buttman knows!! The invite say's "we go brah" beer smokin dancing
And he get da Wahine's too!

quote=buttholesurfer] [Linked Image]

Still hang in there with the best!Great UP A festive at NAJAS this month!

Re: south bay..... [Re: mc] #2953595
05/13/19 08:37 PM
05/13/19 08:37 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

[Linked Image]

Greg Filtzer, shaper for the LeRoy Grannis redwood surfboard that was donated to the Hermosa Beach Historical Society Museum & Peter Pope Kahapea, visiting friends and the ole neighborhoods of the South Bay. June 2011. Surfboard artwork by Scott Mijares

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: south bay..... [Re: PPK96754] #2953990
05/14/19 06:56 PM
05/14/19 06:56 PM
RatBeach
B
buttholesurfer Offline
Duke status
buttholesurfer  Offline
Duke status
B

RatBeach
Great pic Peter!

Re: south bay..... [Re: buttholesurfer] #2954007
05/14/19 07:11 PM
05/14/19 07:11 PM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

Great pic Peter!

Next time I'm in town, no dodging the Pineapple Express!

cheers

Re: south bay..... [Re: mc] #2959683
05/27/19 11:01 PM
05/27/19 11:01 PM
L
LogHauler Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
LogHauler  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
L

I don't surf anymore but I travel down to the South Bay from time to time and when I'm there I never really seem to notice the crowds that I hear so much about on this forum. Today was a prime example. I jumped on my bike at 730am and took off from north Hermosa and headed to Torrance Beach. The air was clear and cool. Wind was slight offshore. Waves were waist to shoulder high with decent shape. Very ride-able and fun looking. NO ONE OUT. Empty little peaks breaking as far as the eye could see. In the 40 mins that it took me to get to Torrance Beach I bet I only saw 40-50 surfers out. and 20 of them were at the Topaz jetty. So where was everyone else?

Re: south bay..... [Re: mc] #2959688
05/27/19 11:17 PM
05/27/19 11:17 PM
R
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

El Porto

Re: south bay..... [Re: rts265] #2959689
05/27/19 11:32 PM
05/27/19 11:32 PM
L
LogHauler Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
LogHauler  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
L

Yeah.... I went there after I turned around at RAT Beach. It was the typical shit show. But by then it was 9am or so.

Page 250 of 252 1 2 248 249 250 251 252

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32