REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967291
06/13/19 02:25 AM
06/13/19 02:25 AM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Robert was and is stoked to have been a part of it. It's a real gut wrenching affair. Trying to guess who it is. Trying to research all the assumed possibilities and what they ride. Kanoa, Griffin, and Mick were our guesses. I guessed Mick. Rob tried to shape to a mixture of the 3. Having the length was good but trying to put the other dims together to get what you think might be right, SITD. I got to do the write up for what you see on the screen, yeah me.

Like he says in the movie, they were looking at hollow points in Mex and Central America so Rob thought a board designed for fast and steep would be the call. The T-33 isn't tuned exactly for the waves it was ridden in but they did look super fun. Doesn't mean Rob would have won otherwise but he might have chosen a different one of his designs that's closer to neutral. By the watch data it went fast and it also looked good in the turns. Glad it didn't break. The RFT-TDD construction holds up and surfs really well. Would have been great to see Rob win but just to be in there meant so much to him. It's a really big thing for those guys to see their boards go. Congrats to CI.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967303
06/13/19 03:02 AM
06/13/19 03:02 AM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Offline
Duke status
S

Tower 13
I sort of boycotted this episode when they announced who won before the dog gamn thing came out socrazy

But I like Mick's surfing so much had to watch it.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967307
06/13/19 03:11 AM
06/13/19 03:11 AM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
He shredded on pretty much all the boards and what stood out for me was how poorly his verbal feedback correlated with the vision shown of each board.

You could see why he would be super positive about the boards, being a part owner of Awayco, it was a good chance to spruik boards.

All those boards were/are at the Rip Curl shop at Greenmount.

They all felt pretty good.

When will we get a clue about naming construction correctly?

Epoxy is a fooking resin, not a core.

All the sailors with their seasick mamas hear the sirens on the shore.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: surfwhere] #2967314
06/13/19 03:37 AM
06/13/19 03:37 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted by surfwhere
Robert was and is stoked to have been a part of it. It's a real gut wrenching affair. Trying to guess who it is. Trying to research all the assumed possibilities and what they ride. Kanoa, Griffin, and Mick were our guesses. I guessed Mick. Rob tried to shape to a mixture of the 3. Having the length was good but trying to put the other dims together to get what you think might be right, SITD. I got to do the write up for what you see on the screen, yeah me.

Like he says in the movie, they were looking at hollow points in Mex and Central America so Rob thought a board designed for fast and steep would be the call. The T-33 isn't tuned exactly for the waves it was ridden in but they did look super fun. Doesn't mean Rob would have won otherwise but he might have chosen a different one of his designs that's closer to neutral. By the watch data it went fast and it also looked good in the turns. Glad it didn't break. The RFT-TDD construction holds up and surfs really well. Would have been great to see Rob win but just to be in there meant so much to him. It's a really big thing for those guys to see their boards go. Congrats to CI.

yeah... I heard the board was supposed to be designed for 4ft Central America points. I think a lot of shapers would have made the board a little different if they knew the conditions were going to be different. But I would imagine that everyone was stoked to enter their boards.

Mick looked one fire in AUS in that DHD. And in that Pukas in AUS! It’s amazing to see him switch on! He’s such a machine!

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967315
06/13/19 03:40 AM
06/13/19 03:40 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Also, I partially retract my statement about stab guys being idiots. That WAS a board shaped by Dan the man! But it wasn’t a gamma! So the stab guys are still partially idiotic for getting the board name wrong!

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: freeride76] #2967316
06/13/19 03:41 AM
06/13/19 03:41 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted by freeride76

When will we get a clue about naming construction correctly?

Epoxy is a fooking resin, not a core.

It's pretty annoying.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967322
06/13/19 03:53 AM
06/13/19 03:53 AM
Oceanside
R
ReefTeef Offline
Michael Peterson status
ReefTeef  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

Oceanside
Esp/epoxy is the worst construction for the conditions he was mostly surfing.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967323
06/13/19 03:55 AM
06/13/19 03:55 AM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Jordy got the best waves.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967324
06/13/19 03:56 AM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
agreed.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967325
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
My 2 cents

I'm shocked the Fever won.

I didn't think Mick looked that great on it compared to the other boards...I would have guessed one of the worst of the bunch.

Mick is still my favorite to watch surf. Prob the best surfer on the planet right now.

That said, other than watching Mick surf a variety of waves in pretty much unknown locations, WTF was the point of all that?
A bunch of shapers with a bunch of different constructions shaping a bunch of different boards. There was no real constant (standard foam with a stringer) to make a real valid comparison.
You could have great board ruined, or complimented, by the materials it's made from.
Further - very few of us have the money to be fvcking around with alternative constructions. Who is buying these gimmicky boards?

I thought the Roberts looked good, but is anyone buying the RFT-XXX tech (or whatever it's called)?

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967333
06/13/19 04:23 AM
06/13/19 04:23 AM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
also the GPS readings were quite clearly BS.

The DHD reading was about half as fast as the top one.....the Pukas?

No way on Gods Green earth was the speed of that board twice as fast.

The human eye can clearly detect that.

Otherwise, yeah, pretty useless feedback for mere mortals.

All it showed was that Mick still rips at a CT level.

the final sequences were filmed at my home breaks, I see Mick surfing there a lot. Fcuk he shreds.

Last edited by freeride76; 06/13/19 04:24 AM.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967353
06/13/19 06:51 AM
06/13/19 06:51 AM
N
NinjaPete Offline
Grom
NinjaPete  Offline
Grom
N

I think the Pukas and CI had the fastest readings because they did the final in Brisbane on faster waves. It was interesting how Mick would say this and that board feels really fast, but the GPS would say otherwise. I need to watch it again to remember what board he said felt fastest, but didn't clock as the fastest that day. I bet dealing with pro surfers is allot like dealing with pro motorcycle racers. It's not so much what the computer says is fastest, but what the rider or driver can handle comfortably and then translating that feel into design/tuning elements. Plus, surfing isn't a race. Added speed will help with making sections and boosting airs, but you can also out race the pocket or have the board race out from under your feet and lose that connected feeling. It's cool that Stab is showing measured metrics. I found this episode most enjoyable out of all of them.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967354
06/13/19 06:56 AM
06/13/19 06:56 AM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
nah mate the Final wasn't in Brisbane, it was just down the road from me.
And the DHD he rode there came last in the speed test from the GPS.

Obviously BS if you watched the vid.

so the metrics, such as they were , would seem to be extremely unreliable.

and probably not worth a pinch of shitt.

Last edited by freeride76; 06/13/19 06:57 AM.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: grendel95] #2967368
06/13/19 10:24 AM
06/13/19 10:24 AM
H
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

The DHD looked the best under his feet by a country mile. It shows just how tuned the surfer/shaper relationship can get.

Re: Mick Fanning Stab in the Dark showing for free today [Re: Hopeless] #2967369
06/13/19 10:40 AM
06/13/19 10:40 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
The 2 Personal DHD boards of Micks I saw were the most reasonable and rational HP shortboards I've seen .

Nothing was overdone with lots there , like some Brewers in the 70's .

Rails were not round , they had functional "Parts" in their design :-)

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7