REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 33 34
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965442
06/09/19 04:17 PM
06/09/19 04:17 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,373
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,373
in the bathroom
You seem to be arguing that there is some kind of conspiracy that the algorithm is designed to shift left and suppress the right.

That’s not at all the case. There’s no evidence of this.

If you’re saying that the algorithm as a whole creates too much polarization and removes the opportunity for subjectivity on both sides then I agree.

I still find it amazing you ignore pre and current digital effects on information despite the glaring evidence and what current technology is and it’s reach.

Last edited by manbearpig; 06/09/19 04:19 PM.
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965445
06/09/19 04:20 PM
06/09/19 04:20 PM
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 39,719
F
frvcvs Offline OP
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline OP
Duke status
**
F

Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 39,719
You’re missing the point in the article which you likely didn’t read that the alt-right and other extremist personalities have proven to be very adept at exploiting the algorithm. Combine that with a bunch of dumb fvcks who lack critical thinking and are angry cause they can’t get laid and it becomes a problem. Yes, the alt-right and Nazi fvcks are not the only ones to exploit the algorithm. But they happen to be the ones who are spiraling this country into the toilet. Case in point people like GDaddy who used to be a reasonable conservative dropping alt-right lingo and bathing himself in liberal tears.


"Milk tits rule!" - Bonzer5Fin

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965446
06/09/19 04:20 PM
06/09/19 04:20 PM
Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,115
H
huryanpost Offline
Michael Peterson status
huryanpost  Offline
Michael Peterson status
**
H

Joined: Dec 2010
Posts: 2,115
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by manbearpig
I don’t have a login. What are these “incorrect views” that the times made a hit piece for?

The algorithm creates rabbit holes of "correct views," music, video games, etc. The NYT only thinks said rabbit holes are nefarious when it creates people who disagree with their accepted narrative. That's why the "alt-right" was used as an example here

Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by manbearpig
I don’t have a login. What are these “incorrect views” that the times made a hit piece for?

The algorithm creates rabbit holes of "correct views," music, video games, etc. The NYT only thinks said rabbit holes are nefarious when it creates people who disagree with their accepted narrative. That's why the "alt-right" was used as an example here



Me thinks you are angry. Some of these horrific mass shootings have been by individuals who have gone down these rabbit holes, not saying this is what 100% drove them to commit madness. Who knows when the loss of reality started. But these websites were an influence at some time. Also, as you realize upon the reading of the article it’s all done for $. From YouTube to websites like Infowars. Money and more money is the motivating factor.
Under the guise of saving you from persecution. Now your argument is going to be their are websites which expound views from the “ left” and their motivation is money also. My argument is none of these left leaning diatribes have been used in a manifesto involving mass murder.


The Sport of Vagabonds is now the Sport of Barons. - D. Hynd?
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965458
06/09/19 05:08 PM
06/09/19 05:08 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,861
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
**
F

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,861
your mom
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by BillyOcean
There seems to be an all out propaganda blitz to silence non approved speech ahead of the 2020 election

Seems to be?

There is


Being an asshole piece of shit to other people was never approved in society.

Trump attempted to made it okay to be a piece of shit but apparently society still doesn't like it.

VICTIMZ hah bawling


"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: FecalFace] #2965465
06/09/19 05:18 PM
06/09/19 05:18 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,771
In Gods Country
C
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status
CharmingSophisticate  Offline
Duke status
**
C

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 20,771
In Gods Country
Originally Posted by FecalFace
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by BillyOcean
There seems to be an all out propaganda blitz to silence non approved speech ahead of the 2020 election

Seems to be?

There is


Being an asshole piece of shit to other people was never approved in society.

Trump attempted to made it okay to be a piece of shit but apparently society still doesn't like it.

VICTIMZ hah bawling

Translation: Trump does not use speech approved by Fascist "progressives"**.




**See Chinese Social Credit System for comparison.

Last edited by CharmingSophisticate; 06/09/19 05:19 PM. Reason: Kung Fu Pandas

"...now tell me that wasn't fun!" Capt. Jack Aubrey
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: CharmingSophisticate] #2965467
06/09/19 05:20 PM
06/09/19 05:20 PM
Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,861
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
**
F

Joined: Nov 2008
Posts: 33,861
your mom
Originally Posted by CharmingSophisticate
Originally Posted by FecalFace
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by BillyOcean
There seems to be an all out propaganda blitz to silence non approved speech ahead of the 2020 election

Seems to be?

There is


Being an asshole piece of shit to other people was never approved in society.

Trump attempted to made it okay to be a piece of shit but apparently society still doesn't like it.

VICTIMZ hah bawling

Translation: Trump does not use speech approved by Fascist "progressives"**.




**


You are not very good at languages.

It was never okay on any level to say or do what alt-right bigots are doing.

Never in history. You can't behave like that in any walk of life and not suffer the consequences.

But internet should be different?

Why?


"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965470
06/09/19 05:23 PM
06/09/19 05:23 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
**
I

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
Originally Posted by manbearpig
You seem to be arguing that there is some kind of conspiracy that the algorithm is designed to shift left and suppress the right.

That’s not at all the case. There’s no evidence of this.

If you’re saying that the algorithm as a whole creates too much polarization and removes the opportunity for subjectivity on both sides then I agree.

I still find it amazing you ignore pre and current digital effects on information despite the glaring evidence and what current technology is and it’s reach.

Huh?

Are you even reading what I'm wiring?

You are getting it in the second half of your post. I have no idea what you're talking about in the first half. There is no conspiracy in the algorithm, it will take you wherever you make it go. However, the NYT is not attacking/illustrating/exposing the possible dangers of the algorithm EXCEPT when it takes people down a path that they themselves at the NYT deem inappropriate


My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965472
06/09/19 05:25 PM
06/09/19 05:25 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
**
I

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
Originally Posted by frvcvs
You’re missing the point in the article which you likely didn’t read that the alt-right and other extremist personalities have proven to be very adept at exploiting the algorithm. Combine that with a bunch of dumb fvcks who lack critical thinking and are angry cause they can’t get laid and it becomes a problem. Yes, the alt-right and Nazi fvcks are not the only ones to exploit the algorithm. But they happen to be the ones who are spiraling this country into the toilet. Case in point people like GDaddy who used to be a reasonable conservative dropping alt-right lingo and bathing himself in liberal tears.

Anyone worth their Youtuber salt is good at exploiting the algorithm, from makeup artists to video gamers. In fact, that's how you make money on YouTube.

There is not some hidden genius that lives only in the alt-right that is able to do this.

This is the brainwashing I'm talking about


My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965476
06/09/19 05:28 PM
06/09/19 05:28 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,373
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,373
in the bathroom
You, along with the other NPC’s, have been harping on about some kind of conspiracy theory that all the social media outlets have been working to silence the right for some time now. It’s not the case.

What about extremest views is acceptable? When did you lose the spine to agree with that point?

To avoid the inevitable confusion you’ll have, I am not conflating right leaning views as being extremist.

Last edited by manbearpig; 06/09/19 05:29 PM.
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965480
06/09/19 05:33 PM
06/09/19 05:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
**
I

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
Originally Posted by manbearpig
You, along with the other NPC’s, have been harping on about some kind of conspiracy theory that all the social media outlets have been working to silence the right for some time now. It’s not the case.

What about extremest views is acceptable? When did you lose the spine to agree with that point?

You're confusing issues here. Argue with the one that's at hand.

But you're in strong denial if you cannot accept that the social media outlets are working hard to silence the right. It is literally right out in the open. But, unlike many of the others, I do realize that is within those outlets' prerogative to do so as they are private companies and are free to carry or ban whatever they want on the service they provide.

Nothing is "acceptable" about extremist views. However, it is more unacceptable to attempt to silence those views. Instead, attack, ridicule, and disprove those views. Silencing is anti-1A and Un-American


My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965482
06/09/19 05:49 PM
06/09/19 05:49 PM
Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,373
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
M

Joined: May 2009
Posts: 14,373
in the bathroom
Except every single instance of those righties being “silenced” has been due to violation of terms they agreed to when they essentially signed a contract. This is happening across the board, it’s just the righties screeching the loudest.

When you start to consider that those “unacceptable” views radicalize people with real repercussions due to the very fact of what digitsl outlets have become, something you deny, you might understand where the argument is coming from. This is also something that goes beyond the US and it’s values. Do you uphold these views when it comes to ISIS utilizing the internet to radicalize and gain more followers? Or how about more simply Muslims? That’s got to be quite the moral dilemma for you.

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: FecalFace] #2965486
06/09/19 05:57 PM
06/09/19 05:57 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7,110
A Beach
G
grapedrink Online happy
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Online Happy
Phil Edwards status
**
G

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 7,110
A Beach
Originally Posted by FecalFace
Originally Posted by grapedrink
Meh. Clearly written by Low T soyboi cuck with Trump Derangement Syndrome. 1/7 would not read


Yeah maybe listening to Shapiro's homophobic diatribe on YouTube is time better spent.

#savetgealthrightvictims #fascistsarepeopletoo



Yes, because like you and the authoritarian left, this article portrays everything to the right of Hillary Clinton to be alt right and therefore fascist by default.
I watch an average of 2 minutes per week of you tube videos, at best. Most of what was in that article is nothing new. All social networks use algorithms that favor inflammatory content in order to increase engagement, i.e. ad revenue.

The author clearly used the algorithms as a springboard into railing on all things to the right of center. Which is fine- I’m just calling it for what it is. The author characterizes “Alt Lite” sources as the new boogeymen, because they are calling out the left leaning media sources for their selective and biased reporting.

My favorite was the caption that read “Lauren Southern: White Privilege is a Dangerous Myth (You Tube)”, yet I don’t recall any analysis of the actual video.
How dare someone question the existence of white privilege! bawling shameonyou RACIST!


You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: Bohter] #2965487
06/09/19 05:59 PM
06/09/19 05:59 PM
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,298
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
**
A

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 29,298
Vagina Point
Originally Posted by Bohter
Originally Posted by Autoprax
I trip on how people won't consider evidence that challenges their views.


There's a name for that....and I whole heartedly agree...it's a trip.
Maybe they need to sit on a jury....where you have to consider all the evidence...

roflmao


I notice that you make outrageous claims backed by narrow frames.

When someone tries to broaden your frame you go on lock down.

Motivated reasoning is a trip.


A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965495
06/09/19 06:33 PM
06/09/19 06:33 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
**
I

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 56,618
HB, CA
Originally Posted by manbearpig
Except every single instance of those righties being “silenced” has been due to violation of terms they agreed to when they essentially signed a contract. This is happening across the board, it’s just the righties screeching the loudest.

When you start to consider that those “unacceptable” views radicalize people with real repercussions due to the very fact of what digitsl outlets have become, something you deny, you might understand where the argument is coming from. This is also something that goes beyond the US and it’s values. Do you uphold these views when it comes to ISIS utilizing the internet to radicalize and gain more followers? Or how about more simply Muslims? That’s got to be quite the moral dilemma for you.

I absolutely uphold those views. Once again, who I actually am compared to the person you've created in your head is radically different.


My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965499
06/09/19 07:13 PM
06/09/19 07:13 PM
Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,150
1
1whoknows Online content
Phil Edwards status
1whoknows  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
**
1

Joined: Oct 2017
Posts: 6,150
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Once again, who I actually am compared to the person you've created in your head is radically different.


Different how? What views do you hold that conflict with the Proud Boy operations manual?

Edit - ifall is more alt-right than Proud Boys:


“We are a fraternal organization like the Elk’s Lodge. 100% of us are Western chauvinists which simply means we all believe the West is the Best. 2nd Degrees and up have to quit porn. 3rd degrees have a tattoo. There are NO racial requirements to be in the Proud Boys. There are no special rules for black Proud Boys (this overrides anything previously published about black PBs) or any other non-white PBs. We don’t care what your sexual preference is and that includes guys dating trans. Politically, a good 98% of us love Trump but that is not a requirement. Our Pope, Dante Nero was a Hillary guy.” Mckinnis guy

Last edited by 1whoknows; 06/09/19 07:43 PM. Reason: Included some pro-transgender Proud Boy stuff

“God, I’m glad I’m not me.” Bob Dylan
Page 3 of 34 1 2 3 4 5 33 34

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32