REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965360
06/09/19 02:12 PM
06/09/19 02:12 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

"The ladies doth protest too much"

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965368
06/09/19 02:21 PM
06/09/19 02:21 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted by frvcvs
Originally Posted by ifallalot
Originally Posted by frvcvs
Good long read, couldn’t decide if I should post in the Crowder or the Woman Hater thread. But it has iFalls descent written all over it...

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/06/08/technology/youtube-radical.html?mtrref=t.co

roflmao

Holy shit, you're making accusations of brainwashing while posting dreck like this?

roflmao roflmao

My views here have been largely consistent. You’re the one who made a radical flip when it comes to politicals. Here’s an idea, download your YouTube viewing history like subject of the article in my OP and prove me wrong and I’ll happily eat crow. I won’t be holding my breath.

If that was possible, you would be eating not only crow, but a raven. You've Fecalized a narrative about me in your head that's very far from the truth

I always had strong lassiez-faire attitudes. In high school, I thought the Robber Barons were completely right in how they ran things for example. It was really the anti-war, anti-Bush movement that had me go lefty for so long, even past the point where I was thinking people on here on the conservative side were making more sense but still arguing against them because of what I thought was right due to the way they Left makes you think you're being more morally correct because you're being nice. It was finally around the rise of the SJW when I said fook this shit and let my freak flag fly to the horror of all of you lefties, something nearly 5 years later that you can't quite get over.

I've never been a Youtube fan. Maybe for some quick laughs but not to the point where you're all thinking that people are being indoctrinated with "incorrect" views. I don't even know why I'm defending myself, and repeating myself for the umpteenth time but here it is.

This is such an obvious NYT hit-piece on "incorrect" views and justifying why Youtube the company is justified in silencing speech that the Left deems inappropriate. Like GDaddy said this week "The authoritarians need people they disagree with to STFU. Why? Because they are incapable of preventing the spread of these ideas without the carefully curated safe space." this article is a perfect example of justifying the silencing.

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965384
06/09/19 02:31 PM
06/09/19 02:31 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
I don’t have a login. What are these “incorrect views” that the times made a hit piece for?

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965390
06/09/19 02:42 PM
06/09/19 02:42 PM
F
frvcvs Offline OP
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline OP
Duke status
F

Originally Posted by manbearpig
I don’t have a login. What are these “incorrect views” that the times made a hit piece for?

It’s basically talking about the YouTube algorithms and how they’re designed to keep you watching for more ad revenue by feeding you crazier shit and how far right/alt right/nazis learned to exploit this and capitalize off of it. It’s a case study of how a user got dragged down the rabbit hole including documentation of his viewing habits.

"Milk tits rule!" - Bonzer5Fin

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965392
06/09/19 02:46 PM
06/09/19 02:46 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Weird. Normally the NPC’s on the right screech over that algorithm. Now if it’s addressed it’s censoring “incorrect” views?

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965410
06/09/19 03:36 PM
06/09/19 03:36 PM
1whoknows Offline
Phil Edwards status
1whoknows  Offline
Phil Edwards status

Fascinating how the alt-right stuff has drifted onto this bulletin board (discussion site, whatever). Guys like casa and ifall and wheelhouse mull it over and deposit it on these pages.

Gromsdad is not the same. He’s more of a NRA and Facebook (and maybe some right wing radio) guy.

The liberals here are varied. I’d bet most of their talking points come from the NYT and the Wash Post. The internet does also inform their views, but skepticism and their requirements for evidence keeps them from ever pronouncing any policies as completely right or wrong.

The alt-right movement is a religion. The truths are contained within the belief system. There is no consideration for actual evidence. Any source of evidence that contradicts the religion is discredited.

“God, I’m glad I’m not me.” Bob Dylan
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965414
06/09/19 03:41 PM
06/09/19 03:41 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Is motivated reasoning something you try to manage with a sense of fair mindedness or is it your coping strategy for negotiating the world?

I trip on how people won't consider evidence that challenges their views.

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: 1whoknows] #2965416
06/09/19 03:43 PM
06/09/19 03:43 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Weird. Normally the NPC’s on the right screech over that algorithm. Now if it’s addressed it’s censoring “incorrect” views?

Way to completely miss the boat.

Originally Posted by 1whoknows
Fascinating how the alt-right stuff has drifted onto this bulletin board (discussion site, whatever). Guys like casa and ifall and wheelhouse mull it over and deposit it on these pages.

Gromsdad is not the same. He’s more of a NRA and Facebook (and maybe some right wing radio) guy.

The liberals here are varied. I’d bet most of their talking points come from the NYT and the Wash Post. The internet does also inform their views, but skepticism and their requirements for evidence keeps them from ever pronouncing any policies as completely right or wrong.

The alt-right movement is a religion. The truths are contained within the belief system. There is no consideration for actual evidence. Any source of evidence that contradicts the religion is discredited.

Holy shit. Get help. Soon

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: grapedrink] #2965419
06/09/19 03:47 PM
06/09/19 03:47 PM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

Mr. Cain, 26, recently swore off the alt-right nearly five years after discovering it, and has become a vocal critic of the movement. He is scarred by his experience of being radicalized by what he calls a “decentralized cult” of far-right YouTube personalities, who convinced him that Western civilization was under threat from Muslim immigrants and cultural Marxists, that innate I.Q. differences explained racial disparities, and that feminism was a dangerous ideology.

ahahahahahaa

TOO SOON!

Gavin McInnes listing off the names of unsane charlatans like a bunch of heroic
martyrs is just too fkn much...Laura Loomer!?!?!?!? ahahahaha

what is this madness?

if you haven't smoked DMT you have no credibility on any subject in surfing or outside of surfing...
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965421
06/09/19 03:48 PM
06/09/19 03:48 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

The algorithm creates rabbit holes of "correct views," music, video games, etc. The NYT only thinks said rabbit holes are nefarious when it creates people who disagree with their accepted narrative. That's why the "alt-right" was used as an example here

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: ifallalot] #2965425
06/09/19 03:56 PM
06/09/19 03:56 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Seems to me the algorithm can send one down multiple rabbit holes, including those you are claiming as “incorrect”.

For instance, my YouTube has many rabbit holes; consisting of what you are playing the victim card for as well as some non politically relevant stuff.

You’re creating a fake outrage narrative in your head and playing the victim card hard. It’s precisely that algorithm that can take you down a plethora of rabbit holes that the people are questioning because it does in fact radicalize people on both ends of the political spectrum; as well as beyond our political sphere.

But I don’t expect someone who doesn’t think there’s a difference in information now vs pre digital age to understand this.

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: Autoprax] #2965428
06/09/19 03:59 PM
06/09/19 03:59 PM
B
Bohter Offline
Michael Peterson status
Bohter  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted by Autoprax
I trip on how people won't consider evidence that challenges their views.

There's a name for that....and I whole heartedly agree...it's a trip.
Maybe they need to sit on a jury....where you have to consider all the evidence...

roflmao

Living is easy with eyes closed...Misunderstanding all you see. The Beatles
I know you've deceived me now here's a surprise...I know that you have because there's magic in my eyes. I can see for miles and miles... The Who
Nature abhors a vacuum....except when earth's pressure system is next to the vacuum of space.....then they coexist...unnaturally.
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965430
06/09/19 04:01 PM
06/09/19 04:01 PM
F
frvcvs Offline OP
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline OP
Duke status
F

My YouTube rabbit hole is usually a combo of old 80’s-90’s New York Hardcore videos, snowboarding/mountain biking and surfing vids. The only VLOGs I’ve ever watched were ones linked here by those claiming not to get their politics from YouTube. I’ve never watched an entire Rogan VLOG and never heard of Crowder, Mark Dice, etc till I learned of them here from other posters. I was familiar with McGinness from his vice days.

"Milk tits rule!" - Bonzer5Fin

"I've been against every Trump/Republican policy implemented and expressed it here." - Caca_Mugrienta

"I'm someone who has spent way more time in the black community than most white people." - Caca_Mugrienta

"Your credential as an ERbb conservative is officially blown." - Squidley

"while it has over 8,000 nerve endings, a clitoris is nowhere near as sensitive as a MAGA snowflake " - StuAzole
Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: frvcvs] #2965432
06/09/19 04:05 PM
06/09/19 04:05 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
I actually liked McGinnes for awhile. But he turned into such a whiny red faced brat and admitted to not having a clue what he was talking about that i realized he’s just another fake outrage culture opportunist.

Re: Nytimes: The Making of a YouTube Radical [Re: manbearpig] #2965437
06/09/19 04:12 PM
06/09/19 04:12 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
I actually liked McGinnes for awhile. But he turned into such a whiny red faced brat and admitted to not having a clue what he was talking about that i realized he’s just another fake outrage culture opportunist.

I agree with you here

Seems to me the algorithm can send one down multiple rabbit holes, including those you are claiming as “incorrect”.

For instance, my YouTube has many rabbit holes; consisting of what you are playing the victim card for as well as some non politically relevant stuff.

You’re creating a fake outrage narrative in your head and playing the victim card hard. It’s precisely that algorithm that can take you down a plethora of rabbit holes that the people are questioning because it does in fact radicalize people on both ends of the political spectrum; as well as beyond our political sphere.

But I don’t expect someone who doesn’t think there’s a difference in information now vs pre digital age to understand this.

So you're agreeing with me on the algorithm front.

However, you're missing the point of why the NYT would use this particular rabbit hole as one that's nefarious. You and I know that it has the opportunity to radicalize people on any subject, but the NYT doesn't balance their coverage by using multiple examples, just the one that goes exactly contrary to their overarching narrative. Weird, huh?

And it was just as easy for people to get radicalized in the pre-digital age with books, pamphlets, meetings, etc. I guess you've never studied anything about anarchists and communists around the turn of the century until the 60s. You're so set in your theories about the Digital Age that you refuse to even consider the history. You'd also be keen to remember that I've separated eras between pre-Information and the Information Age

Last edited by ifallalot; 06/09/19 04:12 PM.

Page 2 of 34 1 2 3 4 33 34

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32