REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966014
06/10/19 10:59 PM
06/10/19 10:59 PM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

Given that we’re on the volume topic, instead of creating a new thread… I have a clumsy worded question for the more knowledgeable ones in this thread.

I have been slowly upping the volume on my shortboard, by adding width and thickness to my boards, which seems a reasonable approach. At 177cm and 83KG (5.10’ 180+ish in freedom units), my boards tend to range from 5.7’ grovelers, to 6’ HPSB (excluding step ups and novelty short things).

My question is, at what point does adding width and thickness become levers pulled too much, and I’ll need to go longer with my HPSB? The relationship between width, length and thickness (both centre and rail) has me in a bit of a spin sometimes, and I’m reluctant to go longer.

I have been resisting getting my board too long, as I quite like the trend that started years ago, and don’t really want to go back to when I was a grom surfing 6.4’ boars, as they simply do not fit as nicely on the waves I surf the most of the time. When I grew up, I had a world class long walled point break on my doorstep, but now mostly surf beahbreaks, so struggling with longer boards on a smaller canvas.

Last edited by Waxfoot; 06/10/19 11:00 PM.
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waxfoot] #2966020
06/10/19 11:08 PM
06/10/19 11:08 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted by Waxfoot
Given that we’re on the volume topic, instead of creating a new thread… I have a clumsy worded question for the more knowledgeable ones in this thread.

I have been slowly upping the volume on my shortboard, by adding width and thickness to my boards, which seems a reasonable approach. At 177cm and 83KG (5.10’ 180+ish in freedom units), my boards tend to range from 5.7’ grovelers, to 6’ HPSB (excluding step ups and novelty short things).

My question is, at what point does adding width and thickness become levers pulled too much, and I’ll need to go longer with my HPSB? The relationship between width, length and thickness (both centre and rail) has me in a bit of a spin sometimes, and I’m reluctant to go longer.

I have been resisting getting my board too long, as I quite like the trend that started years ago, and don’t really want to go back to when I was a grom surfing 6.4’ boars, as they simply do not fit as nicely on the waves I surf the most of the time. When I grew up, I had a world class long walled point break on my doorstep, but now mostly surf beahbreaks, so struggling with longer boards on a smaller canvas.

Havoc could probably best answer this.

Pretty sure he's riding a 5'0 x 35 x 4 1/2" Tomo Evo at the moment.

The thing is basically an orb, but he can do some really tight old man shreds on it.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: jkb] #2966021
06/10/19 11:14 PM
06/10/19 11:14 PM
R
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status
rts265  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Originally Posted by jkb

Havoc could probably best answer this.

Pretty sure he's riding a 5'0 x 35 x 4 1/2" Tomo Evo at the moment.

The thing is basically an orb, but he can do some really tight old man shreds on it.

roflmao I almost spit water on my screen

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966029
06/10/19 11:35 PM
06/10/19 11:35 PM
N
nightfly Online content
Michael Peterson status
nightfly  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
N

I thought my board was a bit too low volume for me and I went and bought the next size up, an inch longer, a 1/8 inch wider and an 1/16 inch thicker about a liter and half more total.

I definitely don't like it as much. It was just enough to push it over the edge into boaty feeling. Also coincided with warmer water temps and less wetsuit but I'm not sure it's going to hang around long. While it paddles slightly better, maybe, it surfs worse, definitely. Convinced me to surf and swim more and think about board volume less.

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waxfoot] #2966067
06/11/19 01:21 AM
06/11/19 01:21 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW

It's kind of hard for anyone else to really tell you when too much is too much. You'll know, I think. When the rail doesn't set, when your turns feel flat, when you can't get any bite then you've gone too far with the width/thickness and it might be time to add length or cut back on the beers.

What dims/volumes are you on right now?

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966072
06/11/19 01:33 AM
06/11/19 01:33 AM
C
Carl177 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Carl177  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

A thread about not enough volume and nobody has dared bring up Dane? Didn't he ride one of Jordy's boards one time and show a bit more flow?
ban

ban
I'm wearing a Tommy Bahama shirt and it's glorious.
ban

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Aruka] #2966085
06/11/19 02:34 AM
06/11/19 02:34 AM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Originally Posted by Aruka

It's kind of hard for anyone else to really tell you when too much is too much. You'll know, I think. When the rail doesn't set, when your turns feel flat, when you can't get any bite then you've gone too far with the width/thickness and it might be time to add length or cut back on the beers.

Or find a shaper who understands your needs and knows how to shape the rail and bottom contours to make that extra volume and width work for you. I would contend there's plenty of shapers who aren't able to do this and stuff it up for their customers.

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waxfoot] #2966086
06/11/19 02:36 AM
06/11/19 02:36 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii

Craigslist is your friend. Find something that sounds big for cheap and give it a spin.

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Retropete] #2966090
06/11/19 02:46 AM
06/11/19 02:46 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida

"Or find a shaper who understands your needs and knows how to shape the rail and bottom contours to make that extra volume and width work for you. I would contend there's plenty of shapers who aren't able to do this and stuff it up for their customers."

7'4" x 22" x 3 1/4"

[Linked Image]

Very happy customer - just returned from a trip to Hawaii

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966091
06/11/19 02:51 AM
06/11/19 02:51 AM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
love that outline

All the sailors with their seasick mamas hear the sirens on the shore.
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Aruka] #2966109
06/11/19 04:27 AM
06/11/19 04:27 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

I expected;
* GG post a non-sequitur pic
* Posts about asking a local shaper

Thread didn't' t disappoint.

To be honest, maybe I should have worded it differently (I did warn you to say it's clumsy), as I was not referring to what you guys think is too much volume.

What I mean to ask, is how do you feel about your board length being a limiting factor in more marginal conditions? For example, I rode a 6.2' at 31L (can;t recall the rest of the dims) in daily conditions not long ago, and it felt slow to react in the pocket / cutbacks, but it would have been fine if it were at a long point break

Originally Posted by Aruka

Daily / do anything on board is 5'10", 19 1/2", 2 1/2" @ 30.10L.

ps: I'm in no imminent need as I love my boards and how they paddle / move, I'm just curious about adding more and more foam slowly but surely to find that sweet spot.

Originally Posted by Racer1
Craigslist is your friend. Find something that sounds big for cheap and give it a spin.

Yea, I've been doing that with the more 'novelty boards' - good call though, as I'll keep an eye out for HPSBs.

Last edited by Waxfoot; 06/11/19 04:37 AM.
Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Waxfoot] #2966126
06/11/19 10:43 AM
06/11/19 10:43 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
My pic is the perfect response to Retropete's comment .

Volume + - 1 L

A well tuned fin placement on a well designed board will be more responsive than just being a lower volume board = its not all about that flotation #

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966167
06/11/19 02:04 PM
06/11/19 02:04 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
I’m requesting rail volume to be written on my next custom.

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: Greg Griffin] #2966231
06/11/19 02:58 PM
06/11/19 02:58 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Medina went somewhat on his own path in a slight incremental way. Paying attention, GG alludes to something often. Because of that I've said in the past if I wuz smart enough to try to be some kind of professor I'd write about

Brand Marketing Influence on the Equipment Predilictions of the Modern Surfer: A History and Analysis

And then there is that saying 'Only a surfer knows the feeling'

Would that feeling be different today if Kelly won just as much but was built like Occy?

What might have happened to today's assumed right volume to weight ratio?

Better for surfing or not as much progression when compared to other board sports?

How might surfboards look different?

Re: Medina's board's volume [Re: ChaseTMP] #2966232
06/11/19 03:02 PM
06/11/19 03:02 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Last time I checked OTR boards were for pretty stocky built dudes. Maybe years ago glass slippers but not today.

Filipe rides chips.

How do you guys feel about his rails - Did they stink?

Page 6 of 10 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 9 10