REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Achilles Tendon Surgery #2956416
05/18/19 11:58 PM
05/18/19 11:58 PM
The Dagobah System
S
sushipop Offline OP
Nep status
sushipop  Offline OP
Nep status
S

The Dagobah System
Tore my Achilles tendon and had surgery two weeks ago to repair it. In a cast for another two weeks and then will move into a walking boot and begin the rehab process. The surgeon told me no surfing for 9 months which I feel is too conservative. Hoping to make it more like 6 months through PT and active release therapy. Any advice on PT, ART, a good supportive surf friendly brace, etc would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Trace Marshall on Malibu: "Its like a hybrid of Donald Trump and gutter punks and Burning Man and Gidget."
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957099
05/21/19 12:11 AM
05/21/19 12:11 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
How did you tear it?

If you disagree with the 9 months maybe it's time for a second opinion.

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957100
05/21/19 12:12 AM
05/21/19 12:12 AM
S
surfride1977 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
surfride1977  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Hi Sushi,

Sorry man, that sucks. I snapped my left Achilles playing tennis about 10 years ago, and had it surgically repaired as well. Since my wife is an MD, I was able to solicit many expert opinions from her ortho colleagues. One thing they were all in agreement on is that tendons heal very slowly, and there are no shortcuts to speed up healing. I would listen to your surgeon and only surf when they tell you it's OK. Sorry that's not the news you want to hear, but a re-rupture is a game changer that you might never fully recover from - not worth the risk!

Do as many PT sessions as your insurance will cover, and be diligent about doing the homework they give you. The big milestone is generally when you can do a one-legged standing heel raise on the injured side. Once you can do that, they'll generally give you the OK to surf again. Many gyms have a specific standing calf raise machine, which I found very helpful in rebuilding those muscles (but definitely get the doctor's OK before using). I also took up swimming laps to get my cardio back.

I can't comment on ART as I don't know a thing about it.

Hang in there and be positive, it's a long recovery but you will eventually be back in the game! Good luck!

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: surfride1977] #2957106
05/21/19 12:50 AM
05/21/19 12:50 AM
The Dagobah System
S
sushipop Offline OP
Nep status
sushipop  Offline OP
Nep status
S

The Dagobah System
Thanks for the info, dose of reality and encouragement amigo! How long were you out of the water for?

Trace Marshall on Malibu: "Its like a hybrid of Donald Trump and gutter punks and Burning Man and Gidget."
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2957114
05/21/19 01:21 AM
05/21/19 01:21 AM
The Dagobah System
S
sushipop Offline OP
Nep status
sushipop  Offline OP
Nep status
S

The Dagobah System
Casa, I tore it playing indoor soccer. I don’t think a second opinion would make much of a difference at this point, especially since I’m probably just mopey, in denial and kicking rocks.

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957126
05/21/19 02:21 AM
05/21/19 02:21 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Can't get to embed.\

Sry

Last edited by Autoprax; 05/21/19 02:22 AM.

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957370
05/21/19 10:00 PM
05/21/19 10:00 PM
S
surfride1977 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
surfride1977  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

I don't remember exactly how long I was out of the water.. Maybe 3 months?? I did a few risky things to get my fix that I with the benefit of hindsight I wouldn't recommend. I bought a boogie board and wore a fin only my good leg, which got boring sort of quickly. Then I bought a proper kneeboard that I rode without wearing fins (paddled like surfing), which was a lot more fun.. I did wear a brace the whole time but was super paranoid about only taking waves I knew I would make..

Anyway, keep your chin up, you'll get back out there before you know it!

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957414
05/21/19 11:23 PM
05/21/19 11:23 PM
The Dagobah System
S
sushipop Offline OP
Nep status
sushipop  Offline OP
Nep status
S

The Dagobah System
I was actually thinking about getting a kneeboard or small fish and riding it as a kneeboard. I refuse to be a dick dragger tho. I hope it doesn’t come to that. roflmao

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957419
05/22/19 12:00 AM
05/22/19 12:00 AM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Friend #1 snapped his Achilles in his 40s.

Surgical repair, cast, then PT.

Back in the water in under 6 months.

Don't know what the doc said about the time, but Friend #1 was a monster when it came to doing PT, and by monster, I mean that he did not skimp one bit. Was walking around in the cast, took it easy when it came off, but he would do what they said, and then a little more and take extra care during PT recovery.

I advise following the doctor's instructions and not to be too gung-ho too soon.

PS
Not too sure about wisdom of using flippers while recovering. Seems to be an easy way to over do it.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 05/22/19 12:01 AM.
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957487
05/22/19 02:58 AM
05/22/19 02:58 AM
THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
C
Coat Hanger Offline
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Offline
Tom Curren status
C

THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Recovery times are based on the mean.

When I destroyed my foot they told me that it would take three years to recover, and at the two year point it would not get appreciably better. It took 8 hours of surgery to get it back together and they weren't optimistic.

I would be non weight bearing on crutches for 12 weeks. in a cast for 4 weeks, a boot for 8.

At 11 weeks I was cleared for weight bearing but they wanted me to stay in the boot. I asked if it was to displace weight or something. They said not, that it was immobile for so long that it was week and they didn't want me to injure it. 45 minutes later I never wore the boot again.

I was told I would never run again, probably have a limp and never be able to walk an appreciable distance without stopping to rest it for a few minutes.

At 12 weeks I started squatting and deadlifting.

At 16 weeks I was road biking. (twisting my foot to get out of the clips was excruciating though)

At 8 months I was trail running 8 miles per day.

If you're young and healthy, don't smoke etc you'll heal up quicker.

THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO KEEP THE ACHILLES TENDON STRETCHED. I sort of blew that off and it took months and months to get the range of motion back. It will absolutely shorten when immobilized.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957608
05/22/19 03:28 PM
05/22/19 03:28 PM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

My MD told me soft tissue injuries have a very high re-injury rate because people do not respect healing times and will begin to exercise to early.

Think of the tension on your achilles when you're crouching in a tube. Think of the tension is the tube slams shut.

I would take a long view and make sure it's 110% healed before surfing. In the mean time boogie board!

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2957972
05/23/19 05:48 AM
05/23/19 05:48 AM
H
hammies Offline
Michael Peterson status
hammies  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

I only had a partial tear but it took well over a year to heal.

Once your MD turns you over to physicsal therapy, your PT becomes your new best friend. Do EXACTLY what the PT tells you, religiously. Always err on the side of caution, and always ask your PT if it's OK to do whatever. Do not attempt to hurry the process.

I made all these mistakes and my 6 month rehab turned into 18 months because I didn't listen to my PT and started doing all kinds of things as soon as the pain was gone, but still way too soon.

"The world needs fewer arrogant pricks."
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2958054
05/23/19 02:41 PM
05/23/19 02:41 PM
The Dagobah System
S
sushipop Offline OP
Nep status
sushipop  Offline OP
Nep status
S

The Dagobah System
Thanks everyone for the insight and encouragement.

Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2963579
06/05/19 02:12 AM
06/05/19 02:12 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Achilles ruptures are very difficult to recover from because they take a long time and there is always some loss of function. Good luck!

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2985327
07/22/19 03:19 AM
07/22/19 03:19 AM
Your mom�s house
D
Duffy Offline
Kelly Slater status
Duffy  Offline
Kelly Slater status
D

Your mom�s house
A friend of mine had a detached Achilles. Surgery. Back on the mats training in 6 months.

Detached again.

Out for a year. Will walk with a limp for the rest of his life.

He’s 35.

�No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn�

- The Wasp
Re: Achilles Tendon Surgery [Re: sushipop] #2990392
08/01/19 10:41 AM
08/01/19 10:41 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
Wanna know how bad Achille's injuries are? Just ask Achille's himself. Did him in...just sayin' LOL.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyuefjAuqOw (watch the whole movie if you haven't already)

Of course, with Achilles' achilles he did ok...

In Greek mythology, Achilles or Achilleus was a hero of the Trojan War, the greatest of all the Greek warriors, and is the central character of Homer's Iliad. He was the son of the Nereid Thetis and Peleus, king of Phthia.

Achilles' most notable feat during the Trojan War was the slaying of the Trojan prince Hector outside the gates of Troy. Although the death of Achilles is not presented in the Iliad, other sources concur that he was killed near the end of the Trojan War by Paris, who shot him in the heel with an arrow. Later legends (beginning with Statius' unfinished epic Achilleid, written in the 1st century AD) state that Achilles was invulnerable in all of his body except for his heel because, when his mother Thetis dipped him in the river Styx as an infant, she held him by one of his heels. Alluding to these legends, the term "Achilles' heel" has come to mean a point of weakness, especially in someone or something with an otherwise strong constitution. The Achilles tendon is also named after him due to these legends.

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32