REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Tanzania #2953844
05/14/19 04:19 PM
05/14/19 04:19 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Has anyone ever surfed in Tanzania? Anyone got any info about spots/swell periods etc?

I'm thinking of moving there in a couple of years and it looks like it has a decent amount of surf potential.[Linked Image]

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Tanzania [Re: JJJJS] #2953873
05/14/19 04:51 PM
05/14/19 04:51 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Curious as to what has you moving to Tanzania. Africa as a whole has so much surf exploration potential, the real deal kind.

Re: Tanzania [Re: JJJJS] #2954108
05/14/19 09:29 PM
05/14/19 09:29 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Online happy
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Online Happy
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Was there in December, but not for surf. Zanzibar has a barrier reef, so there could be some passes somewhere. Saw a point near Zanzibar town with some mini peelers that looked like it could light up, but would probably need some serious swell.

Tide range seemed pretty big, so that could be a challenge, in addition to the swell exposure.

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Tanzania [Re: JJJJS] #2954115
05/14/19 09:37 PM
05/14/19 09:37 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
From what I know from people in the know, yes there are waves, no they are not good.

There was something I was told regarding Kenya that was environmental that made it sound particularly unpalatable for surfing but I do not remember what that was.

Please visit Comoros and some of the other islands in the vicinity. They look amazing.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Tanzania [Re: manbearpig] #2954344
05/15/19 02:32 PM
05/15/19 02:32 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted by manbearpig
Curious as to what has you moving to Tanzania. Africa as a whole has so much surf exploration potential, the real deal kind.

I've been working abroad for almost 5 years now and it's been a longish term plan of mine for a while now to try and move to Africa. I'm most interested in Tanzania and Gabon, although the former will be way more doable. Senegal could also be a third option.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Tanzania [Re: grapedrink] #2954349
05/15/19 02:38 PM
05/15/19 02:38 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted by grapedrink
Was there in December, but not for surf. Zanzibar has a barrier reef, so there could be some passes somewhere. Saw a point near Zanzibar town with some mini peelers that looked like it could light up, but would probably need some serious swell.

Tide range seemed pretty big, so that could be a challenge, in addition to the swell exposure.

I've been checking this regularly there seems to always be swell of at least one meter hitting just south of Dar es Salaam..

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Tanzania [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2954353
05/15/19 02:41 PM
05/15/19 02:41 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta
From what I know from people in the know, yes there are waves, no they are not good.

There was something I was told regarding Kenya that was environmental that made it sound particularly unpalatable for surfing but I do not remember what that was.

Please visit Comoros and some of the other islands in the vicinity. They look amazing.

Yeah I heard that Kenya has sewage and general detritus problems around river mouths.

Who are these people in the know, and do they have anything else to say?

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Tanzania [Re: JJJJS] #2954695
05/15/19 10:27 PM
05/15/19 10:27 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Online happy
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Online Happy
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted by JJJJS
Originally Posted by grapedrink

I've been checking this regularly there seems to always be swell of at least one meter hitting just south of Dar es Salaam..

I’d imagine that’s tradewind windswell, kinda like what Brazil gets confused2 I’m sure you could find some fun spots shaka

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Tanzania [Re: JJJJS] #2954760
05/15/19 11:31 PM
05/15/19 11:31 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted by JJJJS
Originally Posted by manbearpig

I've been working abroad for almost 5 years now and it's been a longish term plan of mine for a while now to try and move to Africa. I'm most interested in Tanzania and Gabon, although the former will be way more doable. Senegal could also be a third option.

Senegal has some awesome surf. The right in Dakar is one of the most appealing waves to me almost ever, really want to get there some day. I seem to remember hearing something about good surf in Gabon. Good on ya for getting out there, jealous.

Re: Tanzania [Re: JJJJS] #2956734
05/20/19 02:48 AM
05/20/19 02:48 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Ghana?

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32