REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Foil Session Logs #2939674
04/09/19 12:24 AM
04/09/19 12:24 AM
J
juandesooka Offline OP
Grom
juandesooka  Offline OP
Grom
J

Here's a spot where you can brag about your recent sessions. Talk some story, relieve the pressure in your head, so you don't bore your non-foil friends and family quite so badly. It doesn't have to be profound -- after all, we're all semi-bored, wasting time playing on the interweb, so we may as well tell some like-minded folks how your day went. Post a pic if you got one or a video, it's all good.

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2939684
04/09/19 12:42 AM
04/09/19 12:42 AM
J
juandesooka Offline OP
Grom
juandesooka  Offline OP
Grom
J

I'll start things off: arrived yesterday to junky low tide waves, unsure if it's worth the bother or maybe keep driving. Decided to just suit up and paddle out, then the sets starting piling in. Long interval, so it's flat in between the 5-10 minute action flurries. Low tide was a bit pitchy, hard to make the drops, but as the water filled in it got that perfect smooth takeoff, just enough to get you moving then backs off to a long unbreaking wall ... basically unsurfable but a perfect foil wave. Sunday funday.

Here's a photo of a small one ... worthy because my buddy, who is just on the verge of rocking the surf foil, dropped in for the tail end. Apologies for I am the sweeper.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv-0AiXh_f5/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2940368
04/10/19 02:31 PM
04/10/19 02:31 PM
48U - Green River, WY
S
Steamroller Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Steamroller  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

48U - Green River, WY
foilsurf!

quit yer bitching...just get out there and...RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!!!
Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2950258
05/04/19 04:44 AM
05/04/19 04:44 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

At about 20 waves in, I finally got some long rides where I felt I could control the lift and not breach or kickflip. Going straight down the line has never felt so satisfying.

Best part was passing bumpy lowers packed w 30 guys on my way to surfing w nobody else out.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: ghostshaper] #2950281
05/04/19 12:58 PM
05/04/19 12:58 PM
S
sozzle Online content
Billy Hamilton status
sozzle  Online Content
Billy Hamilton status
S

Originally Posted by ghostshaper
Going straight down the line has never felt so satisfying.

Amen to that!!

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: ghostshaper] #2950334
05/04/19 04:36 PM
05/04/19 04:36 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Originally Posted by ghostshaper
Best part was passing bumpy lowers packed w 30 guys on my way to surfing w nobody else out.

I like this part too. I've been surfing my regular spot and there will be 30 guys out in the morning, then they all get out when low tide rolls around and I'm out there by myself on a foil. So nice.

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2951142
05/07/19 03:24 AM
05/07/19 03:24 AM
J
juandesooka Offline OP
Grom
juandesooka  Offline OP
Grom
J

I am visiting my mother in Puerto Escondido. As I am too weak/lame/old/scared to chase the tubes at zicatela and too over it to fight the crowd at La Punta, I decided to use my week to tackle surf foil. So far, about 100 sessions on sup foil, time to get on the prone program.

Not really a great location for this project. The only wave that works is Carrizalillo. First couple sessions with 15" mast and H2 wing. Once up on foil, it felt natural, the challenge is in riding a shortboard again, as I am embarrassed to say I mostly sup and longboard for the past 10 years.

Day trip to Chacahua, got my first real rides. On 15" mast, would breach immediately in the bigger waves, so went to 24" and got a couple good long rides, 15-30 seconds, with long hot walkbacks after. Felt pretty great up there with a comparatively tiny board (5'x20" vs 7.6' sup). Better paddle fitness will be needed for sure, compared to sup. So far I am only taking off in white water, the faces are too pitchy to make at this stage.

If any of you get down to Oaxaca, Chacahua is a surf paradise that may be epic for foiling ... low tide had really fun regular surf, as tide came up it got fat, but long walls and sections that are hard to make on surfboard but I bet more makeable on foil. This will require a return visit!

People here have never seen foils ... a lot of beach time spent showing it to local surfers and explaining it ... they have seen the videos. Next year there will be more.

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2951963
05/08/19 10:51 PM
05/08/19 10:51 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Last 3 days I've been out. Today was half the size as the previous 2. Nothing to special to note. I've figured out how to get 2-1's at one of my regular spots where I couldn't do it at all last year, so that's fun.

Today as I caught my wave in I didn't notice Laird off in the distance coming out on his E-foil. As I was doing the rock dance in with my board upside down and foil in the air, He is passing by on the outside to keep going to the next couple spots down the beach. I'm watching him go by and he waved. So, basically I'm best friends with Laird Hamilton now thanks to foiling.

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2953654
05/13/19 11:53 PM
05/13/19 11:53 PM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Officially into the mysto reef realm today.

Rolled up to a spot I've been scoping for awhile, but too many people on all sorts of craft in the lineup. Spotted a bombie breaking about a 1/4 mile away and opted to check it out. As I rolled up I could see someone bobbing in the lineup on a familiar board, now I'm out there!

Paddle out was mellow, but once in the lineup it was quickly apparent the swell was just jacking on a random outcrop of reef. Takeoff was either a roller or a straight drop. Clock was ticking, so only had a few cracks at getting into it, buddy got one to shore but I got passed up as i got up on foil on the one legit wave I caught.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2953684
05/14/19 02:26 AM
05/14/19 02:26 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
I hit top speed on my 2017 Naish Large today several times. Just me for an hour, then Laird joined for the next 2 hours. He was still out when I left. Trying to take the same lines he does was crazy. I couldn't keep the foil in the water a bunch of times because I was just going to fast. Real fun session. My last wave was equal to my longest rides out there. Laird was doubling that distance.

We talked a bit. He's on his 7 foot something SUP with front and back foot straps. Foil science, their medium wing he said. He didn't seem to know what the dimensions were. He said he only switches wings when he goes to the smaller one to tow foil big waves. He did say his nephew is involved with foil science and claimed they're better than GoFoil. He doesn't like the "twitchiness" of GoFoil, I asked if it was the flex in the mast he agreed with that statement, but I'm not sure if that's what he was actually referring to.

These words came out of his mouth today. "I'm in consumption mode, I just want to catch as many waves as possible and ride them for the longest distance possible." HAH! Laird being Laird. It was fun to see him eat it on a drop, even if he did claim he hit a big bunch of kelp. smile

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: Hdip] #2953921
05/14/19 05:47 PM
05/14/19 05:47 PM
K
keoki Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
keoki  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Laird's nephew is Chuck Glynn. He looks like a smaller version of Laird. Chuck started Foil Science with I think Jeff Clark.

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2953929
05/14/19 05:58 PM
05/14/19 05:58 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
I was suprised looking at the foilscience.com website that the wing he's using is so small. He's a big guy. But, the waves were overhead yesterday so that makes up for the small wing I guess. About to head back down now.

Pretty sure this is the wing he was using. "The 116 (1160 sq. cm surface area at 25.5" span) wing is optimized to fly in a wide range of conditions. This makes it ideal for surfing, wake surfing and kiteboarding."

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2954181
05/15/19 12:08 AM
05/15/19 12:08 AM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

Nice, I might go down there thursday, it is suppoed to rain so the crowd will be much more mellow I hope.

Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: juandesooka] #2954666
05/15/19 09:33 PM
05/15/19 09:33 PM
48U - Green River, WY
S
Steamroller Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Steamroller  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
S

48U - Green River, WY
how the hek are you getting to mystos?...you hane a gate key? ....or park at big dume and walk down the stairs and paddle a mile south? ....take me!

quit yer bitching...just get out there and...RUN WHAT YA BRUNG!!!
Re: Foil Session Logs [Re: Steamroller] #2954723
05/15/19 10:51 PM
05/15/19 10:51 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
I know some people. Grew up in Malibu. Still good out there today. I was getting destroyed through one section. Going full speed as a boil would make the wave stand up and section. It felt like I was trying to go over a shipsterns bluff step in the wave. Real fun.

2 day's ago, just Laird and me. Yesterday, no key I had to walk in, just one other foil. Today, myself, 2 other foils, then when I was changing the guy from yesterday was going out, and when I left a foil in a truck was driving down. So I guess foils are showing up. It's gonna get crazy out there, but maybe it'll be until next year when all those rich guys finally buy in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2