REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: bigsurfer67] #2983621
07/18/19 03:12 PM
07/18/19 03:12 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Thanks for the thread. I have had spots cut out in the past but none came back cancerous. Due to seeing this thread I just made an appointment. She mentioned that I hadn't been in since 2015. Damn I used to go every year. That is kind of a long gap. My wife told me the other day I had something on my back that should be looked at. Fingers crossed.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: bigsurfer67] #2983888
07/18/19 10:24 PM
07/18/19 10:24 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Offline
Duke status
Kento  Offline
Duke status
K

The Bar
Good to see this thread. I've probably had about a dozen moles removed over the years and try to go to a dermatologist at least every year or two for a checkup. This thread is a good reminder for me to make an appointment soon, especially with family history as my mother has had melanoma three times.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: Kento] #2983982
07/19/19 04:20 AM
07/19/19 04:20 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
B

Originally Posted by Kento
Good to see this thread. I've probably had about a dozen moles removed over the years and try to go to a dermatologist at least every year or two for a checkup. This thread is a good reminder for me to make an appointment soon, especially with family history as my mother has had melanoma three times.

Had another chest mole removed (and some face stuff burned off)...all clear on this one luckily. My mom has had a number of MOHS procedures on her face and a few melanomas as well. Back in her day, you would get as tan (and burned) as possible without any sunscreen!

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: bigsurfer67] #2986166
07/23/19 04:33 PM
07/23/19 04:33 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
Just got back from my check up. Nothing. Not even anything that looked worrisome. She did say I had a lot of skin damage and asked if I had ever heard of a rash guard. lol Back on the yearly visits program though, 4 years was too long.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: SurfDoc] #2987606
07/26/19 02:04 AM
07/26/19 02:04 AM
E
elpescador Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
elpescador  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
E

Originally Posted by SurfDoc
Alternative to MOHS? Depends on how nice you want your skin to be I guess. If you don't get all the edges of the growth they can grow back and be more destructive. Freezing, burning, scraping etc. are imprecise whereas MOHS tends to be very precise.

Thanks SurfDoc

One of the things that bothers me about about MOHS is the size of the incision vs the size of the problem. In my case, half have the size of the
head of a pin resulting in a 2/1/2" incision on my cheek. Fortunately he got it all on the first pass.

What do you think of going after small basal cell considering the chance of metastasis is extremely unlikely?

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: elpescador] #2987685
07/26/19 06:23 AM
07/26/19 06:23 AM
M
mtnsrf Offline
Grom
mtnsrf  Offline
Grom
M

Although basal cell carcinomas (BCCs) rarely metastasize, they can be locally destructive. They will continue to grow and can really cause problems, especially when on the face. What you can see with your eye may only be the tip of the iceberg, and the Mohs surgeon works to remove things on a microscopic level. Depending on the type of BCC and the location, there are several other options (regular excision, radiation, topical chemotherapy, destructive lasers, "scrape/burn"). Mohs surgery has by far the best cure rate (lowest risk of recurrence) and is only used on high risk sites/patients, large skin cancers.

another way to look at it... getting it treated as soon as possible, with the most effective method will result in the best scar/outcome. If you wait, or inadequately treat and the cancer recurs, the surgery later on can only be larger.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: bigsurfer67] #2990390
08/01/19 10:29 AM
08/01/19 10:29 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
What mtnsrf said. Nailed it...
I once saw a patient with his entire face gone from BCC spread. Not kidding.

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: elpescador] #2990647
08/01/19 07:52 PM
08/01/19 07:52 PM
C
Clayster Offline
Miki Dora status
Clayster  Offline
Miki Dora status
C

Originally Posted by elpescador
As a teenager and surfer in the 70's our goal was to be as tan as humanly possible. All day, everyday at the beach in the summer, minimal protection, etc. I topped that off in my 20s and 30s with a year and a half in Guam and another 3 1/2 in Hawaii.

Which leads me to a Mohs procedure last Monday for a small squamous cell on the right cheek, and most likely
more of that in my future. I'm 59. Still got the bandage on and will take a look at the damage tomorrow morning.

That being said, any thoughts on alternatives to Mohs? Seems like there was a lot of cutting and burning for
a spot that small. At least they got it all. The pamphlet says the process can take 1/2 a day as they analyze
the initial removal/sample, then continue the process if it looks like there's more.

I fried growing up surfing in the sixties and seventies. I'm 64 now and have been having skin cancers (basal cell) removed since my twenties. My first was on my nose and a dermatologist removed it in a non-mohs procedure. He thought I was too young to have cancer, so he just scooped it out. Turns out it was cancer, but he thought he got it all, so did nothing else. He was wrong. The roots of that basal cell grew down into my nose, but finally appeared on the surface many decades later. The Mohs surgeon had to cut a big chunk out of my nose, and plug in meat from behind my ear to fill it in. He did a hell of a job, and it looks fine, but my right nostril is at least 50% occluded from scarring. That experience is why Mohs surgeons are your best option: they only take out what they think they need to take, but don't close you up until they have examined your tissue under the microscope and found clean margins. If they don't find that, they go back in and take some more out to make sure they have it all.

I've had six Mohs procedures in the last four years, and yesterday my dermatologist biopsied another spot on my nose that made need a Mohs procedure. If you catch it early enough, you come out looking fine.

Another reason why Mohs doctors are the ticket is because that is all they do, and most of their surgery is on the face. They get very good at removing all the cancer, and closing the patient up with minimal-if any-scarring. Plastic surgeons who do Mohs aren't as good, because the bulk of their practice is typically other things, boob jobs, face lifts, etc.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: bigsurfer67] #2990749
08/01/19 11:13 PM
08/01/19 11:13 PM
F
frvcvs Offline
Duke status
frvcvs  Offline
Duke status
F

I've had many moles cutoff and sent for biopsy. I'm covered and have the history in my family. Father had melanoma on his head. Just got the call on my recent biopsies this past week. 2 of 3 came back "atypical" but not cancerous. Upper chest and shoulder blade. Going back to remove more tissue next week.

As most of you have said I'm reasonably cautious with sunblock and covered up. I'm rarely shirtless in the sun for any extended period of time and my gf makes fun of me for wearing long sleeves to the beach. Personally I prefer covering up over slathering myself in chemicals whenever possible.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: frvcvs] #2991297
08/02/19 10:37 PM
08/02/19 10:37 PM
S
StinkinHippie Offline
Nep status
StinkinHippie  Offline
Nep status
S

My younger brother who just turned 40 and is a gamer and had only brief times in the sun was just fooking scalped to remove cancer. Im convinced it was his baseball caps he always wore. Toxic chemicals.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: bigsurfer67] #2991694
08/03/19 10:59 PM
08/03/19 10:59 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

Just noticed this on leg that doesn’t get much sun.

Any diagnosis?

https://imgur.com/a/2miGZN8

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: rts265] #2992749
08/06/19 01:30 AM
08/06/19 01:30 AM
usa
S
surfflexx Offline
Nep status
surfflexx  Offline
Nep status
S

usa
If you just noticed it you don’t know if you’ve had it a long time and during that time has it changed. Get checked, better safe than sorry. My friend just went to get a hernia surgery and the doctor doing surgery told him to get the mole on his stomach checked. Turned out stage 4 melanoma. Be safe.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: rts265] #2992767
08/06/19 01:56 AM
08/06/19 01:56 AM
usa
S
surfflexx Offline
Nep status
surfflexx  Offline
Nep status
S

usa
If you just noticed it you don’t know if you’ve had it a long time and during that time has it changed. Get checked, better safe than sorry. My friend just went to get a hernia surgery and the doctor doing surgery told him to get the mole on his stomach checked. Turned out stage 4 melanoma. Be safe.

Re: The Melanoma, Skin Cancer & Mole Thread... [Re: mtnsrf] #2996478
08/14/19 05:24 PM
08/14/19 05:24 PM
H
hgsouth Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
hgsouth  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

Originally Posted by mtnsrf
Although basal cell carcinomas (BCCs) rarely metastasize, they can be locally destructive. They will continue to grow and can really cause problems, especially when on the face. What you can see with your eye may only be the tip of the iceberg, and the Mohs surgeon works to remove things on a microscopic level. Depending on the type of BCC and the location, there are several other options (regular excision, radiation, topical chemotherapy, destructive lasers, "scrape/burn"). Mohs surgery has by far the best cure rate (lowest risk of recurrence) and is only used on high risk sites/patients, large skin cancers.

another way to look at it... getting it treated as soon as possible, with the most effective method will result in the best scar/outcome. If you wait, or inadequately treat and the cancer recurs, the surgery later on can only be larger.

Had a bcc on my nose at 31 a few years ago. And I caught it EARLY because I go to the dermo frequently. It was just a small white bump but looked "odd" because it didn't look like anything else on my body. It didn't bleed or anything. However, the scoop they took out of my nose with Mohs was large and they only had to do 2 passes. So, get them looked at quickly if they're on your face and you don't want major scarring. Had a plastic surgeon put my nose back together under anesthesia and you can hardly tell, but part of my nose is permanently numb.

Now I go every few months out of an abundance of caution and anxiety hah

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32