REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box #2950286
05/04/19 01:48 PM
05/04/19 01:48 PM
B
balfour Offline OP
Grom
balfour  Offline OP
Grom
B

Hi all, hoping for a little direction with my first futures fins. I finally made the switch from FCS so I know it's going to be a couple of years building a quiver but of course I'd like to get the right thing straight off the bat!

I've got a stock 5'10" Phantom for my daily driver on the way. I'm 6'2", 165 and wear a hooded 5/4 throughout winter. I'm not a strong back foot surfer. I see a lot of people going for the JJ Techflex large fins and matching with the medium QD2 or HS rears as a quad option. I'm worried they might be a bit too stiff for my lack of back foot power - would it be better to look at the AM2 Honeycombs if that's the case? I usually ride my DD as a thruster for better waves and as a quad for weaker waves.

Should I be looking at medium size fins? I've never been so confused because I've always just surfed standard FCS1 fins made locally that don't provide all the options of the Futures brand.

Any info would be very welcome.

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: balfour] #2950292
05/04/19 02:04 PM
05/04/19 02:04 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

Welcome to the futures club

AM2 honeycomb . Used as a set or just the sides with a smaller trailer / good waves or grovel waves

Upright set like the new legacy pivots . Great set that includes a smaller trailer that could be used with other sets

Some quad trailers . If u are using Pyzel board as your platform ( hi Greg) then 80/20 foil rears are a good starting point

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: retodd] #2950312
05/04/19 03:28 PM
05/04/19 03:28 PM
B
balfour Offline OP
Grom
balfour  Offline OP
Grom
B

Hi retodd, and thanks for the quick reply. So the thrusters are settled then, I'm going to go with the AM2 honeycombs. I like that the center fin is smaller - I've used a smaller center for so long now I'd feel weird running the same size on all three. We don't have legacy pivots available here so they're not an option.

So for the quads a medium with 80/20... the 4" QD2 blackstix? Is it normal to always pair a medium quad with a large front? On my puddlejumper I have large fronts and small rears and that seems to work pretty well. I guess it's all so subjective, and the tail on that thing is so wide maybe the smaller rears allow for sharper turns.

So many fins... my family is gonna love how easy it is to make me happy at birthdays and Christmas over the next couple years.

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: retodd] #2950318
05/04/19 03:52 PM
05/04/19 03:52 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Pyzel "Platforms" are Pyzel FCS compatible now !

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: balfour] #2950343
05/04/19 05:17 PM
05/04/19 05:17 PM
Your moms house
D
Duffy Online content
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
Originally Posted by balfour
Hi retodd, and thanks for the quick reply. So the thrusters are settled then, I'm going to go with the AM2 honeycombs. I like that the center fin is smaller - I've used a smaller center for so long now I'd feel weird running the same size on all three. We don't have legacy pivots available here so they're not an option.

So for the quads a medium with 80/20... the 4" QD2 blackstix? Is it normal to always pair a medium quad with a large front? On my puddlejumper I have large fronts and small rears and that seems to work pretty well. I guess it's all so subjective, and the tail on that thing is so wide maybe the smaller rears allow for sharper turns.

So many fins... my family is gonna love how easy it is to make me happy at birthdays and Christmas over the next couple years.

I like AM2 for thruster set up and WCT fronts with these rears for (most) quads...

https://www.trueames.com/collection...y-patterson-rear-quad-futures-compatible

For solid surf these....

https://www.trueames.com/collections/quad-fins-1/products/rear-quad-futures-compatible

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: balfour] #2950344
05/04/19 05:39 PM
05/04/19 05:39 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Both of those are less than 4" tall

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: Duffy] #2950348
05/04/19 06:11 PM
05/04/19 06:11 PM
B
balfour Offline OP
Grom
balfour  Offline OP
Grom
B

Thanks for the suggestion but unfortunately neither of those is available here. Had never actually heard of true ames before!

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: balfour] #2950398
05/04/19 10:51 PM
05/04/19 10:51 PM
B
brsnstein Offline
Grom
brsnstein  Offline
Grom
B

I really like these in my Phantom: https://captainfin.com/collections/thrusters/products/dane-reynolds-1 . They're sold out on the captain fin website, but you can probably find them at other shops or websites. I also like the futures John John and these https://captainfin.com/collections/thrusters/products/dion-agius-flowers-st-black in bigger, punchier surf

I'm a little bit lighter than you, quite a bit shorter, and my phantom is a 5'7"

Re: 1st Pyzel, 1st Futures box [Re: Duffy] #2950410
05/04/19 11:35 PM
05/04/19 11:35 PM
A
Ajmojave Online content
Grom
Ajmojave  Online Content
Grom
A

in what situations do you use flat foil vs. 80/20?

Originally Posted by Duffy
Originally Posted by balfour

I like AM2 for thruster set up and WCT fronts with these rears for (most) quads...

https://www.trueames.com/collection...y-patterson-rear-quad-futures-compatible

For solid surf these....

https://www.trueames.com/collections/quad-fins-1/products/rear-quad-futures-compatible