REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
angiogram/Angioplasty #2946687
04/26/19 01:20 PM
04/26/19 01:20 PM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

anyone done one with stents?
what's the recovery timetable like?
what's the odds of it going bad and you not coming out of the OR?
Especially at Kaiser

gonna push for one with my Cardiologist at my next check up
my blockage has ruined my quality of life
the medication hasn't made anything better

I need some vascular rotorooter at this point

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2946740
04/26/19 03:52 PM
04/26/19 03:52 PM
CBS, CA
J
john4surf Offline
Phil Edwards status
john4surf  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

CBS, CA
Originally Posted by oneula
Especially at Kaiser

I've had 4 or 5 stents inserted. Pretty simple procedure for experienced surgeons. The stents that are medicated (to prevent later clogging) were my surgeons choice. You'll also have to take Plavix (for a year) or a suitable generic to help prevent clogging. I had a pacemaker installed to keep the chambers in better sync at the recommendation of my surgeon (the pacemaker comes with a computer mouse shaped reader. Put the "mouse" over the pacemaker and it reads the hearts history and sends the data to a main computer that translates and forwards readout to the cardiologist.

I'm trying to remember what restrictions placed on my by the surgeon once the stents were inserted. I think I was asked to take it easy for a couple of weeks and then resume a 'normal' life style. Good Luck Oneula! Piece of cake (if your surgeon has a track record of inserting a lot of stents (in the hundreds to thousands). John

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2946847
04/26/19 06:19 PM
04/26/19 06:19 PM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

I had the angiogram but no stents. My problem was the myocardial bridge (muscle over an artery). My cardiologist did say that stents were very routine and an outpatient procedure.

Your brother would know more than most right?

How's your diet?

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: patrolman] #2946935
04/26/19 08:46 PM
04/26/19 08:46 PM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Originally Posted by patrolman
I had the angiogram but no stents. My problem was the myocardial bridge (muscle over an artery). My cardiologist did say that stents were very routine and an outpatient procedure.

Your brother would know more than most right?

How's your diet?

yup my brother had the stent thing three times and then a cracked chest
He said closing the hole they make for the tube is the problem especially after they pump you with thinner for the procedure
But when he had his first heart attack about a decade or more ago his wife's cousin who's a famous local cardiologist told him if he went into the OR at Kaiser he wasn't coming out alive so he made them transfer him to Queens for the procedure and he's been their ever since until his cardiologist passed away.

My diet and lifestyle sucks, I'm a workaholic and have been doing 13-14 hours days for decades. Always first in and last out

but since 2016 when this overheating and dizziness really got bad its impossible to do anything strenuous.
Normally I would just thought I was out of shape and gutted things out
but after they told me I've had a good sized blockage since 2012 when they caught it a portion of it on the CAT scan they took when my appendix burst I have been cautious of not over doing things

At first I thought it may have been one of those low T thing back in 2016 cause i was over 60 and started taking supplements. But that may have made it worse. Being tired all the time and taking a whole day to recover (sleep) after doing something as simple as cutting the lawn is demoralizing.
having these frigging frozen shoulders hasn't helped either but its hard to lose weight when you're sleeping all the time outside of work

So I want my arteries scrubbed out to get the blood flow I need to exercise again.

Every time my brother had another heart attack (4 total) I'd have to get stress tested and sonogrammed but they never found anything and now this

I got maybe another 5 years left to really surf before the joints start going so I wanna leave the water on a good note.

Thanks John
gonna do my best to give this thing a run for the money
But just in case I better will out my quiver before I go under on the table

Last edited by oneula; 04/26/19 08:47 PM.

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2946976
04/26/19 10:00 PM
04/26/19 10:00 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge

My diet and lifestyle sucks, I'm a workaholic and have been doing 13-14 hours days for decades. Always first in and last out

I am not an expert by any means, but since it's the erBB I won't let that stop me...

If your diet sucks and you're doing 13-14 hour days it might be the case that you can dramatically improve how you feel by changing those two things first. Maybe design some sort of 20-30 day experiment to moderately modify your diet and work hours.

Something like cutting out some moderate portion of your diet (soda? candy? plate lunch every workday?) and leaving 2 hours earlier on Friday?

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2946981
04/26/19 10:18 PM
04/26/19 10:18 PM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Especially at Kaiser

My brother in law has 4 or 5 stents...don't know the specifics but it was pretty basic and he is doing fine. Recovery time was pretty quick from what I recall.

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2953301
05/13/19 04:13 AM
05/13/19 04:13 AM
THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
C
Coat Hanger Offline
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Offline
Tom Curren status
C

THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Especially at Kaiser

Recovery from stents...If you're cleared to poop your good to go.

Stents aren't for every condition. Some blockages are only going to be resolved with bypass surgery. The good news is that the recovery is normally great.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2963584
06/05/19 02:16 AM
06/05/19 02:16 AM
ex-pat Huntington Beach
S
SurfDoc Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfDoc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

ex-pat Huntington Beach
It's more complex than than. Depends on so many factors. What vessels, baseline health, lab values, age, etc. Trust your doctor?

Peace,
Surf Doc
Be safe, surf smart, know your limits! Check this: www.happyshark.com
Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2969014
06/17/19 02:58 AM
06/17/19 02:58 AM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

50% blockage just before the split in the left and 70% blockage just after the split in the following major in the left
the wanted to do a cabbage but I opted for stents for a quicker recovery

they are going from the groin since they went in from the wrist for the angiogram
will be on blood thinners for a year minimum

can't wait
I really want to get back into surfing before the end of the year. I might get a helmet

BTW I'm probably diabetic now too which doesn't help the heart thing
I'll probably need a cabbage later even if I go vegan

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2970270
06/19/19 03:28 PM
06/19/19 03:28 PM
SOCAL
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Offline
Duke status

SOCAL
left anterior descending? the widowmaker? the recovery isn't that bad....my dad's had it eight times. each time he came out immediately feeling better...except for the last which had other serious issues further complicating the matter. he once had a fourteen year run between ops...stayed active and was pretty damn functional

Re: angiogram/Angioplasty [Re: oneula] #2970316
06/19/19 04:14 PM
06/19/19 04:14 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

50% blockage just before the split in the left and 70% blockage just after the split in the following major in the left
the wanted to do a cabbage but I opted for stents for a quicker recovery

they are going from the groin since they went in from the wrist for the angiogram
will be on blood thinners for a year minimum

can't wait
I really want to get back into surfing before the end of the year. I might get a helmet

BTW I'm probably diabetic now too which doesn't help the heart thing
I'll probably need a cabbage later even if I go vegan

There are special stents for diabetics.

I had an angiogram/angioplasty done in Guadalajara, first class hospital and crew. Recovery time was quick. Lose weight bruddah. That’s your number one enemy.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32