REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: brycor564] #2943331
04/17/19 07:52 PM
04/17/19 07:52 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't say that on the rail logos. I just emailed them about it.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: Racer1] #2943333
04/17/19 07:56 PM
04/17/19 07:56 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Originally Posted by Racer1
That's what I was thinking, but it doesn't say that on the rail logos. I just emailed them about it.

Let us know what they say. I just ordered a board with 8.C Team glassing last week so wondering how light it'll be. Don't need it to be as damp as PU, but I was hoping it'd be a little less chattery than a light EPS board. We shall see.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: bird.] #2943335
04/17/19 08:01 PM
04/17/19 08:01 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted by bird.

Let us know what they say. I just ordered a board with 8.C Team glassing last week so wondering how light it'll be. Don't need it to be as damp as PU, but I was hoping it'd be a little less chattery than a light EPS board. We shall see.

I'll let you know, but you might want to change it to regular 8.C. If I had a scale, I'd weigh the new one versus my old ones.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: bird.] #2943356
04/17/19 09:01 PM
04/17/19 09:01 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii

From Shey:

"We now have a new digital scale in the factory and after each step the board is weighed, to have accountability on weight per step.
That has made our boards a bit lighter then some of the previous batches and moving forward 8.C glassing should stay inline with your T patt, if the boards are comparable in size. "

I'm definitely switching to 8.0 from now on.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: rowjimmytour] #2943361
04/17/19 09:06 PM
04/17/19 09:06 PM
R
retodd Offline
Duke status
retodd  Offline
Duke status
R

Originally Posted by rowjimmytour
Originally Posted by retodd
I think pu pe will feel best but the xtr will win the durability challenge

If you are going custom anyways

Then it might be a toss up cause on your pu you can order all s cloth and a denser blank ( like a US blanks blue vs. an ultralight red ) also some pu guys use excellent quality glass shops like the lab , global , or Hawkenson

Sorry highjack but shrug how about xtr -VS- pu/epoxy w/ S glass I would go heavier but say 4/4 4 wave2

Depends but for the the sake of this topic we will say its a top quality glass shop and a shaper who is mindful of blank selection .

The pu / scloth epoxy lam will feel better and last longer .

Last edited by retodd; 04/17/19 09:08 PM. Reason: Me dumb dumb gramer
Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: Racer1] #2943362
04/17/19 09:07 PM
04/17/19 09:07 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA

From Shey:

"We now have a new digital scale in the factory and after each step the board is weighed, to have accountability on weight per step.
That has made our boards a bit lighter then some of the previous batches and moving forward 8.C glassing should stay inline with your T patt, if the boards are comparable in size. "

I'm definitely switching to 8.0 from now on.

Good info. Thanks for sharing shaka

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: bird.] #2943410
04/17/19 10:25 PM
04/17/19 10:25 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW

I got an 8.C Team Phantom like 4-5 months ago and it's pretty light but it's definitely not as light or chattery as a lightly glassed EPS build. I dig it and haven't noticed too much downside in bumpy conditions. Thinking of getting a Shadow or something similar soon and was planning on 8.C Team glass job for it. Keep us posted. Also, what'd ya order?

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: Aruka] #2943416
04/17/19 10:43 PM
04/17/19 10:43 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Originally Posted by Aruka

I got an 8.C Team Phantom like 4-5 months ago and it's pretty light but it's definitely not as light or chattery as a lightly glassed EPS build. I dig it and haven't noticed too much downside in bumpy conditions. Thinking of getting a Shadow or something similar soon and was planning on 8.C Team glass job for it. Keep us posted. Also, what'd ya order?

Good feedback. Thanks bruh. I'll stick with my original order and see how it goes.

Mine's going to be a Phantom too.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: bird.] #2943524
04/18/19 04:06 AM
04/18/19 04:06 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW

Mine's going to be a Phantom too.

Killer, can't wait to hear your feedback

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: brycor564] #2943587
04/18/19 02:36 PM
04/18/19 02:36 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
If I may ask Bird and Aruka....what is the motivation behind getting the 8.C Team glassing? Are you looking for a lighter board? A different flex? Both?

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: jkb] #2943628
04/18/19 04:23 PM
04/18/19 04:23 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Light weight was my main reason. Liking an EPS daily driver I've been riding for a while and wanted to see how XTR compared as a construction. Durability's not really a big factor for me.

Open to considering a change to my order if there's a case to be made that the heavier glassing's a better call.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: brycor564] #2943638
04/18/19 04:42 PM
04/18/19 04:42 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
What about the HD blue stringer or the parallel carbon to reduce weight (this is assuming you’re getting a wood stringer)?

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: jkb] #2943641
04/18/19 04:44 PM
04/18/19 04:44 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Originally Posted by jkb
What about the HD blue stringer or the parallel carbon to reduce weight (this is assuming you’re getting a wood stringer)?

Those just look too snappable to me (and $$$), plus I'm trying to maintain some continuity of feel with what I've got experience with (wood stringered PUPE and EPS.) shrug

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: brycor564] #2943646
04/18/19 04:51 PM
04/18/19 04:51 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Fair enough. Interested to hear how the team glassing goes.

Re: XTR or PU/Poly For Simi Step Up?l [Re: jkb] #2943651
04/18/19 05:02 PM
04/18/19 05:02 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Originally Posted by jkb
If I may ask Bird and Aruka....what is the motivation behind getting the 8.C Team glassing? Are you looking for a lighter board? A different flex? Both?

I had pretty much the same reasoning as Bird. I really like the liveliness and responsiveness of EPS in under head high surf. I also really like lightweight PU builds but I crush them so fast it and it kinda bums me out. I have a few fishy boards and a GX from Stamps that are all EPS and they all go really well for me. I already had a Ghost in 8.C that I liked and I wanted to see how a lighter weight XTR would compare. For me the 8.C team feels like something between a lightly glassed PU and an EPS build. I've ridden the crap out of my Phantom and it's holding up well, much better than a lightly glassed PU would. Might even be more durable than EPS. It does have some dents on the deck side of the nose from random bonks but the bottom is cherry and the footwells are still minimal. For grovelling I still like EPS but it was really nice when I was traveling this winter to be riding the XTR phantom daily and then hop on the XTR ghost when it got bigger and it felt like there was no transition as there sometimes is when switching between builds.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4