REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2950144
05/03/19 08:11 PM
05/03/19 08:11 PM
92122 Online content OP
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Online Content OP
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta

Go big and you will regret it.

Can you explain specifically why you think I'd regret it?

Having it shorter to fit a steep dumpy 2' beachbreak wave could be about the only reason to ride it really short. Otherwise, why not enjoy a little more built in speed and wave catching ability when the surf is slower / mushy.

Remember, I'm barely what I'd consider an intermediate surfer, but just like the maneuverability and surfing style of short boards. That said it's been tough to build skills if I cant catch a lot of waves or am forced to learn by taking a tiny board out in bigger / punchy surf to be repeatedly flogged.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2950171
05/03/19 09:32 PM
05/03/19 09:32 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
at the end of the day you have to size your boards so the boards work for you and not against you. only you can figure out what that means for you.

that said, it has been my personal experience that i get the best overall performance out of any board that is going to fulfill some level of grovel function in my quiver by going as short as possible. this is why being 5'7" and around 160-165 or so i have a 5'0" von sol rayzer and a 5'3" stamps banjo.

i remember around '06 or so when the quad fish trend blew up and was super popular i was riding a 5'8" fish - a 5'8"!? that is ridiculously oversized for me.

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2950177
05/03/19 09:44 PM
05/03/19 09:44 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Keep in mind you're mostly getting advice from more experienced surfers, so grain of salt and all that.

Sizing may come down to this: is improving your surfing to the point that you can do some HP-ish maneuvers something you aspire to? If yes, you should try out a more 'properly' sized board IMO and put in the work on your wave catching and speed generation. If you're fine with just cruising stick with what works for you there.

This is probably not the board you'll want to ride in bigger/punchy surf no matter how you size it.

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2950221
05/04/19 01:07 AM
05/04/19 01:07 AM
C
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status
crotchgrab  Offline
Nep status
C

Originally Posted by 92122
Originally Posted by casa_mugrienta

Go big and you will regret it.

Can you explain specifically why you think I'd regret it?

Having it shorter to fit a steep dumpy 2' beachbreak wave could be about the only reason to ride it really short. Otherwise, why not enjoy a little more built in speed and wave catching ability when the surf is slower / mushy.

Remember, I'm barely what I'd consider an intermediate surfer, but just like the maneuverability and surfing style of short boards. That said it's been tough to build skills if I cant catch a lot of waves or am forced to learn by taking a tiny board out in bigger / punchy surf to be repeatedly flogged.

That's a great, honest assessment. If I were in your shoes and wanting to maximize performance with ease of everything else, I'd get a slightly over-sized Von Sol Shadow. It's not Rusty but it's the board that came to mind when I thought about what you were trying to achieve. They are exceptional boards at various sizes. I've tried 3 different sizes by chance and they ALL worked.

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2950892
05/06/19 05:28 PM
05/06/19 05:28 PM
San Diego
D
delmartian Offline
Grom
delmartian  Offline
Grom
D

San Diego
A bunch of shapers were offering a free demo of their boards at 15th Street in Del Mar on Sunday morning (since they were all in town for the boardroom show, I guess). I've always ridden a shortboard, so figured I'd use the opportunity to experiment with something mid-length and see if that was something I could see myself surfing one day when the waves are very small and powerless.

Zen Surfboards was there with a pretty cool looking quiver of alt looking boards including a few mid-lengths. I don't know anything about them, but talked to the guy and took out a 7'4" mid-length. Keep in mind 15th street is a straight up logger wave (very flat faced) and waves were probably 2-3ft that day (with long lulls). And with the demo going on, there were probably 15 logs sitting out back trying to pick off the set waves.

It only took me about 2 waves to realize that mid-lengths and longboards are just not for me. Sure it had crazy glide on a knee high, mushy wave that I caught, but that's not really the kinda fun I would wake up early for. That thing was just way to slow at reacting to my input for turning.

So I took that board back and grabbed a fish from him instead. That thing was really big (5'9") and felt like it was about 10 liters over what I'm normally used to surfing when I was paddling out and duck diving. So I had pretty low expectations, but again, I was shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of loggers so figured I might as well try something with a lot of float and glide.

I ended up having an absolute blast. I don't know what model of fish it was, but it had a very dramatic down slope as the deck approached the rail line. So even though it was thick and wide, the rails were nicely thinned out and the tail was even more so. I caught some really fun set waves going left (my backhand) and was able to high-line all the way across the reef, making sections with ease. It felt a bit weird when I tried pumping the board, but then I quickly realized you don't need to. With that much board and the twin fins, I could just glide along and let the board make all the speed for me. I was also surprised that it turned really well for me. Cut backs felt pretty normal and I didn't have to nurse my turns like I thought I would due to so much volume.

Anyway, after that experience, I could easily see myself getting a board like that in case I end up surfing a longboard break. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for small punchy breach breaks, but sometimes it's pretty darn fun to just relax and glide along with some down the line surfing on gentle, long peeling waves. You, know, something for CA summers.

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2951064
05/06/19 11:00 PM
05/06/19 11:00 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ChaseTMP  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

S. Redondo
I can see how that vid of Nate can evoke the word "groveling", but Lowers has much more push at that size than what I feel in the South Bay at comparable size. I didn't think there's anything remarkable that showcased the board's stated (by many) magic in that video. Yes, I think he was surfing well, but I don't think he'd be Huntington-hopping on his favorite HPSB in those waves.

The CI demo truck was at my local shop (E.T. Surf) week before last. We had super fun windswell waves the 29th and 30th and I really didn't want to get off my Fever. Despite being able to read a forecast, I grabbed a 5'8 Neck Beard Spine-Tek on 4/1 which I only had for a day. Of course there was nothing close to what I'd consider paddling out for during the 24 hours and brought the board back the next day unridden. The waves remained flat (and still are) through the end of the demo.

I'm thinking about Awayco'ing the HS Misc. once I see the E. Santa Barbara winds scheduled to go 25+ knots. South swells are not what I get very excited about around here, as they're usually only good for a few pumps and a quick hit (at least where I surf in the summer non-windswell days, at MB Pier). This has been an awful Spring for windswell, which is usually the best season for those around here.

I've been eyeing the Stacey Bullet Twin, but can't find one to demo. Anyone ridden one? I'd love to hear some feedback on that, the Misc. and the NB2 for sub-waist high waves in true weak beachbreak. Anything above that size and I'm on my Fever. After a failed demo on a JS Black Baron (too sticky and surprisingly not that fast), the E.T. shop guys who have seen me surf, just said to get the NB2, but I'm still pining for a twin (or 2+1).

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: delmartian] #2951395
05/07/19 10:42 PM
05/07/19 10:42 PM
92122 Online content OP
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Online Content OP
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted by delmartian
A bunch of shapers were offering a free demo of their boards at 15th Street in Del Mar on Sunday morning...

Zen Surfboards was there with a pretty cool looking quiver of alt looking boards...... grabbed a fish from him instead....

I ended up having an absolute blast. I don't know what model of fish it was, but it had a very dramatic down slope as the deck approached the rail line. So even though it was thick and wide, the rails were nicely thinned out and the tail was even more so. I caught some really fun set waves going left (my backhand) and was able to high-line all the way across the reef, making sections with ease. It felt a bit weird when I tried pumping the board, but then I quickly realized you don't need to. With that much board and the twin fins, I could just glide along and let the board make all the speed for me. I was also surprised that it turned really well for me. Cut backs felt pretty normal and I didn't have to nurse my turns like I thought I would due to so much volume.

Anyway, after that experience, I could easily see myself getting a board like that in case I end up surfing a longboard break. Probably wouldn't be my first choice for small punchy breach breaks, but sometimes it's pretty darn fun to just relax and glide along with some down the line surfing on gentle, long peeling waves. You, know, something for CA summers.

Zen has quite a few classed as Fish / Twins. Curious which one you rode. I can picture it being fun at small 15th street.

https://zensurfboards.com/surfboards/

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2951418
05/08/19 12:54 AM
05/08/19 12:54 AM
92122 Online content OP
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Online Content OP
Billy Hamilton status

Re: CA. Summer Boards [Re: 92122] #2951426
05/08/19 01:23 AM