REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: jkb] #2917683
02/23/19 12:25 AM
02/23/19 12:25 AM
S
slopokecr Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
slopokecr  Offline OP
Billy Hamilton status
S

Originally Posted By: jkb
It's interesting to hear that sanding is one of the hardest (and most important) jobs in board building when you simultaneously hear that it is an "entry level" position at a glass shop. thought

Was thinking the same. There are so many opportunities to mess a board up. The more hands that touch the board the more chance for mistakes and incompetence

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: jkb] #2917818
02/23/19 10:11 AM
02/23/19 10:11 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

It's interesting to hear that sanding is one of the hardest (and most important) jobs in board building when you simultaneously hear that it is an "entry level" position at a glass shop. thought

its the shittest job, no one at the top of the food chain wants to do it. dusty, sweaty, itchy.

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: slopokecr] #2917843
02/23/19 02:01 PM
02/23/19 02:01 PM
C
chrisp510 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
chrisp510  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
C

Glassing.
Including sanding.

I am 25ish boards deep.

It's all totally doable though. Tons of info here and on Swaylocks.
Every conceivable mess-up has been discussed 100 times.

Keep it simple to start.
Once you're comfortable then you can start adding other variables.

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: slopokecr] #2918043
02/23/19 06:37 PM
02/23/19 06:37 PM
Oahu
B
Bud Offline
Nep status
Bud  Offline
Nep status
B

Oahu
It's all good when everything comes together. Nowadays I really look forward to putting a skin on my shapes. The hard part for me is getting things done to where I think it's 'good enough'

AKA Bud808
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: toddo] #2918057
02/23/19 06:59 PM
02/23/19 06:59 PM
Oahu
B
Bud Offline
Nep status
Bud  Offline
Nep status
B

Oahu
Originally Posted By: toddo

its the shittest job, no one at the top of the food chain wants to do it. dusty, sweaty, itchy.

As a backyarder, the sanding segment of board building is not the best part of the whole deal to me either. It's almost like it's the last couple hours of work separating/keeping you from enjoying your creation. I have the luxury to do the low grits/rough part of sanding outside in the wind, then move inside my shed for the higher grits to finish it. It really shouldn't be itchy unless you are sanding fiberglass for some reason.

AKA Bud808
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: Bud] #2918291
02/24/19 01:16 PM
02/24/19 01:16 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: Bud
It really shouldn't be itchy unless you are sanding fiberglass for some reason.

This ^^^^^^^^^. Making fins can get itchy but sanding boards really shouldn't. A nice tight lam job and you should barely be sanding into any of the cloth. Boat work where you are really sanding glass or installing insulation in a house......now you're talking itchy.......if you've ever done either you know what I'm talking about. Sanding laps and hot coats.......not so much.

Like most tasks, having the right tools for the job make all the difference in the world. I wasn't a big fan of sanding boards either until I invested in the right sanding pads for the job. At minimum you should have a Medium and a Soft flexpad on a variable speed sander. Its easy when you have the right tools and have a few boards under your belt using them.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: slopokecr] #2918338
02/24/19 04:11 PM
02/24/19 04:11 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County

Shaping is easier to fake with close tolerance blanks. But a good board is hard.

Simple e-glass, no tint , and GAS Fusion on fins, so it's the shapers problem. Is medium hard.

Artsy gassing is harder.

Composite, vacuum bagging glassing is a whole nother thing.

This board is about as hard as it gets for glassing.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
That is why I hate them for their stupidity. They were so close to greatness and squandered it.
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2934578&page=3
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: GromsDad] #2918343
02/24/19 04:17 PM
02/24/19 04:17 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted By: GromsDad

This ^^^^^^^^^. Making fins can get itchy but sanding boards really shouldn't. A nice tight lam job and you should barely be sanding into any of the cloth. Boat work where you are really sanding glass or installing insulation in a house......now you're talking itchy.......if you've ever done either you know what I'm talking about. Sanding laps and hot coats.......not so much.

Like most tasks, having the right tools for the job make all the difference in the world. I wasn't a big fan of sanding boards either until I invested in the right sanding pads for the job. At minimum you should have a Medium and a Soft flexpad on a variable speed sander. Its easy when you have the right tools and have a few boards under your belt using them.

This, and if you can pick up on eBay a Porter Cable 505 half sheet finishing sander.
Use the disk polisher first, and then follow each grit with the 505 at the same grit as the polisher. It gets rid of all the scratches/ swirls that the disk polisher makes

That is why I hate them for their stupidity. They were so close to greatness and squandered it.
https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2934578&page=3
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: GromsDad] #2918366
02/24/19 04:57 PM
02/24/19 04:57 PM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

My first job out of high school was at a custom boat builder (Dencho Marine, Dennis Choate was also a respected surfboard shaper). I had been making surfboards throughout my high school years so I had experience glassing. Well, my first job at my first job was to crawl to the very back of a 40 foot racing sailboat and glass a "man overboard tube" onto the transom. This was in the summer and the boat was sitting in the sun in Long Beach California. There was a tiny space behind the last bulkhead with no ventilation except the hole I was about to close. I would guesstimate the temp was about 120 degrees. I had to work upside down with resin dripping down my arms. Later in the day I had to crawl back into the hole and sand the edges of the glass. I think Dennis was testing me to see if I was really willing to work. Pure hell. If you work with boats you will have an idea.

Sanding surfboards is a walk in the park.

I actually found a photo online of a choate 40's transom and man overboard tube.

p.s. While doing a search of "Choate 40". I found a listing of the first boat I did wood work on. Held value pretty good considering it's 40 years old-

https://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/70084

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: slopokecr] #2918373
02/24/19 05:08 PM
02/24/19 05:08 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

Not related but related my uncle has a beach house in Rosario with fiberglass outdoor furniture. You will itch and get a rash sitting on those fuckers

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: rts265] #2918438
02/24/19 08:11 PM
02/24/19 08:11 PM
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: rts265
Not related but related my uncle has a beach house in Rosario with fiberglass outdoor furniture. You will itch and get a rash sitting on those fuckers

My first boat as a teenager was a fiberglass Sears Gamefisher. Same thing. You could actually see the fibers glistening in the sun on the surface.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: patrolman] #2918439
02/24/19 08:13 PM
02/24/19 08:13 PM
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: patrolman

My first job out of high school was at a custom boat builder (Dencho Marine, Dennis Choate was also a respected surfboard shaper). I had been making surfboards throughout my high school years so I had experience glassing. Well, my first job at my first job was to crawl to the very back of a 40 foot racing sailboat and glass a "man overboard tube" onto the transom. This was in the summer and the boat was sitting in the sun in Long Beach California. There was a tiny space behind the last bulkhead with no ventilation except the hole I was about to close. I would guesstimate the temp was about 120 degrees. I had to work upside down with resin dripping down my arms. Later in the day I had to crawl back into the hole and sand the edges of the glass. I think Dennis was testing me to see if I was really willing to work. Pure hell. If you work with boats you will have an idea.

I actually found a photo online of a choate 40's transom and man overboard tube.

p.s. While doing a search of "Choate 40". I found a listing of the first boat I did wood work on. Held value pretty good considering it's 40 years old-

What is a man overboard tube? Google wasn't much help.

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: slopokecr] #2918440
02/24/19 08:15 PM
02/24/19 08:15 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Offline
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Offline
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
No gel coat, and loose, non woven fiber

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: GromsDad] #2918536
02/25/19 02:22 AM
02/25/19 02:22 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

Originally Posted By: patrolman

What is a man overboard tube? Google wasn't much help.

Horseshoe life ring mounted on the stern pulpit. When you throw it overboard it pulls the pole out of the tube. The pole serves to locate crew member when there is swell/waves.

I remember being told not to get piss on the whistle when peeing off the transom.

Re: Backyard/DIY guys: Whats harder, shaping or glassing? [Re: Bud] #2918597
02/25/19 05:12 AM
02/25/19 05:12 AM
T
toddo Offline
Nep status
toddo  Offline
Nep status
T

epoxy dust makes my fingers and toes itchy. not talking a full body rash or anything. but enough to be annoying.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3