REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917436
02/22/19 05:28 PM
02/22/19 05:28 PM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: Duffy
They will sell you a Fever by filming their pros riding a bunch of boards that are a Fever in name only.

I mean, we know this happens all the time but has it ever been so blatant?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1B0YAybl7g

Im not saying these boards are all Fevers but what evidence do you see in that video that they arent?

Stock dims on the website don't match stock dims in the video.

+

A board ridden 2 inches shorter than your height is not going to perform the same ridden 3 inches longer than your height.

Parker is 5'7 and riding a 5'10.
Pat is 6'1 and riding a 5'10.

Lol

There's something going on there.

I think custom dims with the same rocker, bottom contours and outline is still a fever. And from the video I cant tell.

As for height recommendations, those are recomendations. and they are based on stock (non-custom) dims for a broad range.

Again, Im not saying that CI is always honest about what boards pros are riding. Ive held in my hands a couple of Kellys Fred Rubble boards and they arent what was being offered OTR. For one thing they had single concave.

I'm not singling out CI because everyone does this.

I'm just saying this was a bit of a marketing goof on their part.

Changing the concave of a board, shaving off 1/4 inch of width, or in this case, using 5 more inches of rail, means to me some serious differences in performance.

Harsh bro...

A model is a model. Doesn't mean it has to be exactly the same board to board. You can do the exact same things as the pros, pick a model and customize it to your liking.

You should see my lost orders. I customize the shit out of models. As an example, my last lost driver order looked like this: 6'0 x 19 1/8 x ??? 31L, Team file??? KA file??? team light.

Board is insane. It's still a driver but doesn't look or feel exactly like a driver you would find on the rack at a surf shop. Don't hate... create!!!

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917445
02/22/19 05:38 PM
02/22/19 05:38 PM
Santa Barbara
S
Scott Ando Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Scott Ando  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

Santa Barbara

Lol

Please don't tell me surfers and board building have devolved to the point where custom boards are considered conspiracy theory?

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: Scott Ando] #2917459
02/22/19 05:48 PM
02/22/19 05:48 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: Scott Ando

Lol

Please don't tell me surfers and board building have devolved to the point where custom boards are considered conspiracy theory?

No, but the question should be asked - when does a board stop becoming a model?

I'm just speaking based on personal experience:

Shaving 1/4 inch of dims
Changing concaves
Tweaking rocker

Have done this with 3 different boards. All came out to be quite different boards...

I'm not trying to be harsh here and apparently I've come off that way - sorry for that - I'm just saying those are some serious differences.

I think most people would like to see guys riding stock boards, at least for the sake of marketing the product, as a lot of people analyze a board's performance before buying and use these videos to do so.

Last edited by casa_mugrienta; 02/22/19 07:26 PM. Reason: Added colon for greater clarity.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917472
02/22/19 05:55 PM
02/22/19 05:55 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Pretty wild that you could see from that video that they changed the concave and rocker. Wish I had your eye.

I for one would prefer to see surfers on the dimens they prefer. WGAF about stock dimensions?

Then again, I don't generally buy surfboards based on video of pros ripping on them shrug

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917486
02/22/19 06:23 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
You've gone from tweaking length in your first post to tweaking width, then concaves, then rocker in subsequent posts socrazy

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917488
Your moms house
D
Duffy Offline
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Offline
Phil Edwards status
D

Your moms house
So looking at CIs website the Fever dims go from

58 x 18 1/4 x 2 3/16

to

64 x 20 x 2 3/4.

You have no issue calling those two drastically different boards the same model but Conners slightly tweaked 511 is blatantly not?

No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn

- The Wasp
Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: jkb] #2917527
02/22/19 07:18 PM
02/22/19 07:18 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: jkb
You've gone from tweaking length in your first post to tweaking width, then concaves, then rocker in subsequent posts socrazy

The question I asked in the post you're referring to is when does a model stop becoming a model. That is all.

Everything you listed was stuff I've done personally. Sorry, I forgot the colon.

Duffy brought up concaves (as well as channels)
Video states tweaked widths from stock dims.
I noted Parker was riding a board 5 inches longer than Pat G, who is 5 inches taller than him.

I find it funny that in a place where 3/4 of people so deeply analyze surfboards and fret over the various aspects of surfboard design my observations RE: surfboard marketing are somehow considered retarded.

I'm not even going to go into the complaints about shapers getting the order wrong (ordered a roundtail, got a squash, ordered single got single to double, etc.). "Dude, it's still the same model."

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: bird.] #2917535
02/22/19 07:24 PM
02/22/19 07:24 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: bird.
Pretty wild that you could see from that video that they changed the concave and rocker. Wish I had your eye.

That was a generalization i.e. the various ways boards are different from stock.

Quote:

Then again, I don't generally buy surfboards based on video of pros ripping on them shrug

I don't either.

But, this forum salivates over Noel Salas and videos of new models get posted here an the regular.

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917585
02/22/19 08:20 PM
02/22/19 08:20 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ChaseTMP  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
C

S. Redondo
I was at the Stab In The Dark showing in Venice last night (where the Spine-Tek Fever is the winning board). I was standing next to Britt Merrick most the evening and overheard a conversation about how most of the CI team is really liking the rocker and how the volume is distributed through the board, but many of the team are tweaking certain dimensions and tail shapes, which is to be expected.

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: ChaseTMP] #2917589
02/22/19 08:27 PM
02/22/19 08:27 PM
cold
T
trevorbc Offline
Michael Peterson status
trevorbc  Offline
Michael Peterson status
T

cold
I think "model" is really based around rocker first.

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917637
02/22/19 10:36 PM
02/22/19 10:36 PM
R
ReyRey Offline
Grom
ReyRey  Offline
Grom
R

I agree, Fever is the best board I've ridden in the last 5+ years, I'm hoping for my Ghost to be the same in better conditions once I figure out the fins...etc

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917690
02/23/19 12:33 AM
02/23/19 12:33 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2917932
02/23/19 04:29 PM
02/23/19 04:29 PM
San Diego
T
TonyB Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
TonyB  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

San Diego
Are you shocked by the fact that marketing is slightly dishonest and that pros tweak the dims and the rocker of the stock models ? Really ?

You buy a rocker/foam distribution combo and you have to figure out the rest for yourself.

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: ciscojaws] #2918145
02/24/19 12:47 AM
02/24/19 12:47 AM
SOCAL
20W-50 and blood Offline
Duke status
20W-50 and blood  Offline
Duke status

SOCAL
Originally Posted By: ciscojaws
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
so sick broz!

Pretty much this.

The Rocketwide Twin and Neckbeard Twin they had on social media is the best thing they've come up with in a while.

links?

Re: Marketing the CI Fever... [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2918151
02/24/19 01:08 AM
02/24/19 01:08 AM
Australia
Z
Zander Offline
Nep status
Zander  Offline
Nep status
Z

Australia
I view this like race cars...for example BMW has an m3 that you can go buy at the dealer, and also a very heavily modified M3 that is used by professional race car drivers. Although the car is substantially changed BMW doesnt call if a different model because the bones of the car are still the same.

A modified Fever is still a fever as the model likely had the rocker and outline with rails, dimensions and other modifications to suit the rider or conditions.

You cant win with you guys. People here have complained lost has too many models and doesnt need to call something a new model when they change the tail. But now CI MAKES A MOD ON THE FEVER AND ITS NOT A FEVER?

A better way may be to think of boards by families, the flyer family, MBM family etc...and all the permutations are different models?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3