REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Gong review thread. #2916689
02/21/19 08:53 AM
02/21/19 08:53 AM
Nar
C
Clamsmasha Online content OP
Gerry Lopez status
Clamsmasha  Online Content OP
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
As mentioned in the other thread, my mate ordered a 3 wing setup from Gong.
M, L , XL with (I think a 70mm and 80mm mast).

Most of this will be a comparison between the Gofoil Kai, Iwa, 200 24 mast set I have.
Ill add increments as I ride all the wings, different boards etc. sorry no pics right now, but Ill try to get some comparison shots to upload when I can.

The M is a bit bigger than the Kai. Not by much
The L is a bit bigger than the Iwa. Not by much
The XL is about the same as the 200.

The finish is nice, actually nicer and more precise than my Gofoil....Im not sure how old mine is, but the Maliko stab looked like it was drawn by crayon until I cleaned it up.
They come in a nice carry case.
The wings are a bit heavier than Gofoil.
The wings are a bit Flatter than Gofoil. NOT MALIKO 160 FLAT, but a bit less anhedral.
They arent copies of the Gofoil in outline or profile, but are quite similar in most respects.

I only rode the XL today. Board was a 40 choad I shaped. First up I surfed my M200 on a nice light 44 of my construction. Wave was a 2 wedge with whitewash takeoffs. Easy wave especially for 2fors. Had fun.

Strapped on the XL and repeated.

Gong was lifty, maybe a tad faster (Id say def faster than the og Maliko stab). I needed to move it further up in the boxes compared to the 200.

It didnt roll over as easily as the 200 (not by much) but it did yaw more easily with the flatter wing etc. minor adjustment to technique on my part and it was all good.

I got a nice pump run on it, and it did every thing it shouldve done.

So far so good! A bargain for the price.

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2917271
02/22/19 06:37 AM
02/22/19 06:37 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Thanks for the first thoughts. Post more thoughts as they come up.

What would you make of this review off seabreeze now that you've ridden one.

I have the naish' large and the 80 - very different beasts the gong is not as smooth - maybe just size - it feels every bubble in the surf where the Nash cuts thru . It's still a lot of fun tho and can carve nicely. It is slower but not excessively so.

EDIT: Oh and would you go L & XL or L & XXL? for prone and learning to downwind?

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Hdip] #2917299
02/22/19 12:00 PM
02/22/19 12:00 PM
Nar
C
Gerry Lopez status
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
Its not really a fair comparison as the Gong L is close to the Naish XL in size. Hes gone up an entire size, Im not sure what he expected, or if hes ridden the bigger Naish but it isnt apples and apples. The difference in lift and wing loading is pretty major when you add 4-500cm2.

As for which wings....I dont know if you want to stretch the budget any more, but I would go with 3 wings, probably M, L, XL. Otherwise L, XL. I think that would have you fully covered unless you surf bigger juicier stuff.

Im not a downwinder, but its on the list. My friends around here are really accomplished at it though (Sup and prone), and they never really needed or liked the M280 which is close to the XXL. They used the M200/Kai stab. All of these guys swapped the Gofoil M200 for the Axis 102 and modified tail stabs. I think that is mostly due to the Maliko stab being really bad.

Some people do start on the huge wings though, but they seem to outgrow them quickly.

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2958357
05/23/19 11:19 PM
05/23/19 11:19 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Oh you have a gong thread. That's why I couldn't find your review in the best foils thread.

Long term reviews of the Gong? My buddy is at the stage where he needs to buy his own gear.

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2958375
05/23/19 11:45 PM
05/23/19 11:45 PM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

I think the wings looks like more the GF Maliko160.

What is the weight ?

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2958431
05/24/19 02:38 AM
05/24/19 02:38 AM
Nar
C
Gerry Lopez status
Gerry Lopez status
C

Nar
The weights are all broken down on the site, but they are heavier than my GF setup. Not too bad, and they fly just fine.

The wings are similar to GF in outline, but have slightly different foil cross sections...not as round on the leading edge. I felt they were a bit less draggy than the bigger GF wings, but I’ve done some major surgery on my stabs, so maybe not so much now....

Not really like the M160, but less overall anhedral than the standard GF wings. A bit more area than the corresponding GF wings. Been a while since I rode the Gong, but the difference meant it was more stable in roll, and more lively in yaw.

The Gong are not as “reef-proof” as my GF. The mix of glass and carbon in the Gong wing is less resilient especially when the wing/stab gets raked over the sharp rock we have here. My mate has messed up the edges on his stab pretty bad, but it’s nothing you can’t fix with a sanding block. The GF is pretty much unbreakable in my experience........none of this would really matter if we weren’t foiling super marginal reefs though.

The Gong has a small issue with the mast slopping around a bit. It’s been done in-depth on Seabreeze, but silver tape fixed it right up.

I still think the Gong is good value. It surfs great, it’s cheap and has a full compliment of wings. Will be great if they run some high-aspect wings too, like all the other kids.

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2958442
05/24/19 03:24 AM
05/24/19 03:24 AM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

Good, report, yes it is a good value for sure, no doubt.

I'm not a big fan of the brand for different reasons but one thing for sure is that Patrice the owner is reactive so it should not take too long before he offers a hight aspect wings.

Re: Gong review thread. [Re: Clamsmasha] #2958461
05/24/19 04:26 AM
05/24/19 04:26 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Offline
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Nice update clam. Thanks