REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: GDaddy] #2915182
02/18/19 06:55 PM
02/18/19 06:55 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Yes, but now we know for sure the story was bogus.

Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: bird.] #2915183
02/18/19 06:57 PM
02/18/19 06:57 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Well, more sure than we were a week ago.

Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: bird.] #2915213
02/18/19 07:20 PM
02/18/19 07:20 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: bird.
Any opinion piece that actually argues "that it was immoral to even critically consider the veracity of the victim's story in the first place" was not worth your time.

It's good to consider opposing POVs and opinions, but not dumb ones.

Sorry bird, you keep poo-pooing what Casa, myself, and others say about the prevailing POV of Leftist ilk, yet the proof keeps coming. This is how people think. Its not from some obscure internet corner

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: ifallalot] #2915218
02/18/19 07:23 PM
02/18/19 07:23 PM
LA
B
bird. Offline
Phil Edwards status
bird.  Offline
Phil Edwards status
B

LA
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Any opinion piece that actually argues "that it was immoral to even critically consider the veracity of the victim's story in the first place" was not worth your time.

Sorry bird, you keep poo-pooing what Casa, myself, and others say about the prevailing POV of Leftist ilk, yet the proof keeps coming. This is how people think. Its not from some obscure internet corner

I disagree that this is as big a deal as you make it out to be. Perhaps if the Democratic party goes full Trump and selects an incompetent buffoon and pusher of stupid opinions as its standard bearer I will come around to your line of thinking on this.

Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2915219
02/18/19 07:24 PM
02/18/19 07:24 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

This issue is trippy.

The only place I read about it was here.

A guy made up a story and subsequently got busted for it.

He's clearly unwell (and apparently out of work).

I know I should be OUTRAGED, but I don't know why.

Bock you
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2915221
02/18/19 07:25 PM
02/18/19 07:25 PM
Lovetron
N
Norm' Offline
Duke status
Norm'  Offline
Duke status
N

Lovetron
Rooting?

"The Wright brothers decide to make themselves a flying machine. You fools! You idiots! Whats your problem? everyone shouted, That will never work because plywood weighs more than air! To which the Wright brothers responded, No, it doesnt. The Wright brothers were dreamers."
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: ifallalot] #2915269
02/18/19 08:20 PM
02/18/19 08:20 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Originally Posted By: ifallalot

Frvcvs is the only example I can think of. Literally everyone else in here was quick to note that this story seemed off. If not, where are all the Squidley/Von Hanger style threads with three sentence long titles about the "violent racist right" or whatever those morons spew on here constantly? From everything I've seen, the mainstream media also took a cautious approach to this story....unless your complaining that they reported on it at all.

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: GDaddy] #2915515
02/19/19 02:37 AM
02/19/19 02:37 AM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

Originally Posted By: GDaddy
Do you consider every opinion piece you read or watch to be "not dumb"? I doubt that.

You can't know an opinion is dumb prior to seeing/hearing it. Now to be sure, I sometimes don't get very far into some of these articles or vids before deciding its something I've heard before, but sometimes a rationale or explanation crops up that makes some sense. Even if not in the direction the author intended.

I have read several pro Trump opinion pieces. Touche.

Still, you often frame your opposition as if all Democrats are FecalFace. I think you'd be less likely to make that mistake if you considered fewer bad opinions.

Well, whenever a comment is made that "nobody is saying that" it's only sometimes true. Meanwhile, we did have a shtload of people from sides of the controversy who prematurely committed to their opinions.

we had shitloads, eh!?

beyond frvcvs....who?

should be easy if there were oodles and oodles of them

damn. using courier font. that is fooking aggressive man.
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: afoaf] #2915520
02/19/19 02:45 AM
02/19/19 02:45 AM
In Gods Country
C
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status
CharmingSophisticate  Offline
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Originally Posted By: afoaf
Do you consider every opinion piece you read or watch to be "not dumb"? I doubt that.

You can't know an opinion is dumb prior to seeing/hearing it. Now to be sure, I sometimes don't get very far into some of these articles or vids before deciding its something I've heard before, but sometimes a rationale or explanation crops up that makes some sense. Even if not in the direction the author intended.

Still, you often frame your opposition as if all Democrats are FecalFace. I think you'd be less likely to make that mistake if you considered fewer bad opinions.

Well, whenever a comment is made that "nobody is saying that" it's only sometimes true. Meanwhile, we did have a shtload of people from sides of the controversy who prematurely committed to their opinions.

we had shitloads, eh!?

beyond frvcvs....who?

How many Shitloads = 1 Oodle?

"...now tell me that wasn't fun!" Capt. Jack Aubrey
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2915521
02/19/19 02:51 AM
02/19/19 02:51 AM
U
Uberkuque Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Uberkuque  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
U

The media reports the news based on the info available at the time. As the information involves, so does the news. Thats what happened here it was reported by Smollet, and the media reported it consistent w his allegations. When more info came to light that Smollet possibly orchestrated it, it was reported as such.

Thats how news gathering and news reporting works. Any insinuation that it was deliberately mis-reported for political ends is just:

DUMB

Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: Coat Hanger] #2915534
02/19/19 03:27 AM
02/19/19 03:27 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
If we get a progressive president the retards on the far right are going to be all wackadooble too.

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: Autoprax] #2915540
02/19/19 03:36 AM
02/19/19 03:36 AM
In Gods Country
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Originally Posted By: Autoprax
If we get a progressive president the retards on the far right are going to be all wackadooble too.
We just had one, dingleberry.

Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: afoaf] #2915541
02/19/19 03:40 AM
02/19/19 03:40 AM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: afoaf

we had shitloads, eh!?

beyond frvcvs....who?

I wasn't referring only to the people on this thread.

I trust you saw how many politicians and theater kids and talking heads in the media who straight out committed to one side or the other on this story right from the outset?

Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: CharmingSophisticate] #2915550
02/19/19 04:26 AM
02/19/19 04:26 AM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Originally Posted By: CharmingSophisticate

Exactly,

See bold

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Why Was A Free and Independent Media Rooting For a Hate Crime and Subsequent Narrative? [Re: Autoprax] #2915553
02/19/19 04:37 AM
02/19/19 04:37 AM
In Gods Country
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Originally Posted By: CharmingSophisticate

Exactly,

See bold
I saw that the first time daddio, thus my response.

What I should have said the first time: You've lost this argument based on the facts of the case, coming back with ol' "everybody does it" crap is unbecoming, not to mention boring.

You're better than this, I can feel it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32