REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2915098 - 02/18/19 12:24 PM Cipro side effects and recovery
shiver_me_timbers Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Gig Harbor
I was prescribed a 14 day course of Cipro by my primary physician and he told me there was a chance of Achilles tendon stiffness.

10 days into it, while walking the dog on a gravel beach (with shoes on, this is the PNW in winter) both my Achilles started hurting something fierce. I've also felt nerves tingling in toes and fingertips, some other pain in my foot (presumably tendons). Also the stomach issues and mental effects have been noticeable.

Has anyone dealt with this? How long was your recovery from being on the drug? I stopped taking the drug yesterday after the tendon problem. I'm pretty pissed that my doctor didn't give me much guidance with this. I know Cipro is prescribed in lots of areas that surfers travel. Be weary of it and try to find something else. I'll never touch that stuff again.

#2915103 - 02/18/19 12:32 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status

look it up. lots of horror stories. sorry I can't say something more encouraging.

I would refuse to take cipro

I will refuse to take any ant-biotic if I can

also, prednisone is a no

lot's of others.....

#2915107 - 02/18/19 12:39 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
Phil Edwards status

yeah, I've looked it up and watched a couple hours of horror stories on YouTube. I didn't sleep well last night. I'm usually pretty diligent about researching this stuff but this time I let my guard down. Fugging pissed.

#2915110 - 02/18/19 12:55 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
rts265 Offline
Miki Dora status

I had a horrible experience with a root canal/amoxicillin/prednisone

my health was effed for over a year

I recovered

you'll get better. you have to...

#2915115 - 02/18/19 01:01 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Rotting away on the 405
Can you call the office for guidance? Curious to what they say.

Sorry about your trouble though, definitely is shitty.

If anything, this should be a PSA for anyone who demands antibiotics (/thinks antibiotics will do anything) for their cold or other viral illnessthey are not without adverse effects. Im not saying this is you BTW, but have seen antibiotics mentioned on here and of course in real life.

#2915161 - 02/18/19 01:33 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
Phil Edwards status

This was for prostatitis. Or at least that's what the diagnosis was after he roughed up my back door. drowning

After 10 days I'm still feeling some symptoms, so I think the doctor missed the mark completely. Urologist visit is next on the list, but of course they're closed for President's Day. rock

#2915208 - 02/18/19 02:16 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: shiver_me_timbers
This was for prostatitis. Or at least that's what the diagnosis was after he roughed up my back door. drowning

After 10 days I'm still feeling some symptoms, so I think the doctor missed the mark completely. Urologist visit is next on the list, but of course they're closed for President's Day. rock

Re: back door so me saying shitty was a little more apt than I originally thought monkey

Re: still feeling symptoms probably not uncommon but Im not a doctor

Re: Doctor missing the mark also not uncommon, but the human body and medicine are very complex with a lot more gray than black and white. Things are often treated based on most likely illness with presenting signs/symptoms. When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras

#2915324 - 02/18/19 04:36 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
I was prescribed Cipro once (ironically for prostatitis as well).

Took my first dose around 5pm one night and by 10pm I was having heart palpitations and my left arm went numb. Thought I was going to have a heart attack.

Haven't taken it since and I avoid any antibiotic in the same family. Doctor switched my over to doxycycline and I did much better on that.

I now try half a dose of just about everything prior to taking a full dose just in case I have another reaction like the one above.

#2915462 - 02/18/19 08:13 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
Phil Edwards status

Holy hell, JKB, that's scary. I looked on the package and its made by Bayer (just purchased Monsanto). Bastards are trying to kill us any way they can.

#2915499 - 02/18/19 09:14 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Damn that sucks. I had prostatitis when I was 24. Probably the most miserable thing I've ever gone through. Barely peed for 4 days, puked a lot, then finally got a catheter for 10 days. I don't remember what he gave me but I don't recall it affecting me negatively. I will say that to this day my plumbing isn't the same down there. I fear for this happening again cause it's no fun.

What was/is the cause?

Good luck smile

#2915551 - 02/18/19 11:29 PM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
Phil Edwards status

The cause of the prostatitis could be many different things, from a tight psoas muscle to sinusitis (seriously!) to e coli contamination, or calcified deposits in the prostate. There is a ton of info at Prostate.net

For me, I had noticed my pee flow diminishing for a while, but especially the last few months. Then our trip to Whistler I got a bad sinus infection but didn't let that stop my vacation, and after the trip I was starting to have pain right around my pubic bone. I went to urgent care just to be safe, then saw my physician two days later because it was still bugging me a little bit. So I don't know exactly what's happening. I need to meet with a urologist because the physician just fingers my ass and throws dangerous drugs down my throat.

#2915566 - 02/19/19 12:43 AM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: shiver_me_timbers
the physician just fingers my ass and throws dangerous drugs down my throat.

Autoprax might like a referral. shrug

#2915568 - 02/19/19 12:53 AM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: shiver_me_timbers]
silentbutdeadly Offline
Duke status

Loc: Tower 13
Yeah I guess they need to run the course of whatever it is to treat it to see if it goes away before doing something else?

#2915578 - 02/19/19 03:23 AM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: silentbutdeadly]
tacos Offline
Michael Peterson status

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly
Yeah I guess they need to run the course of whatever it is to treat it to see if it goes away before doing something else?

Unfortunately wait and see what happens (lots of waiting) is a big part of medicine that isnt quite sexy enough for Greys Anatomy, House, etc. Also doesnt bode well with patient satisfaction scores.

#2915650 - 02/19/19 11:13 AM Re: Cipro side effects and recovery [Re: silentbutdeadly]
Phil Edwards status

Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

There are warnings with Cipro saying if one feels side effects to stop taking it. I stopped taking it on Sunday, 10 days in. Avoid this stuff like the plague. I am hobbling around the house, probably going to order a boot to wear until the tendons heal (pun!). So pissed.

As for the 'ol prostate, things seem to have calmed down but I still have some pain if my belt digs into my midsection. Maybe I'll start wearing suspenders like the hipsters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32