No Saving Face

It’s perhaps the most ghoulish thing ever uttered aloud by anyone. Worse, it comes from a sitting governor and licensed pediatric neurologist. Democrat Virginia Governor Ralph Northam - when asked whether he supported pending legislation permitting final trimester abortions, including after the baby is born and independent of the mother – said this:

“If a mother is in labor, I can tell you exactly what would happen. The infant would be delivered. The infant would be kept comfortable. The infant would be resuscitated if that’s what the mother and the family desired, and then a discussion would ensue between the physicians and the mother.”

One would think this an untenable position in a country where eighty percent of those polled oppose such barbarism, including sixty-eight percent of this who identify as “pro-choice.” Still, the Governor and his party seemed to weather, rather, ignore the righteous public outrage.

Not a week later one would have to believe Governor Northam would surely meet his political Waterloo when it was discovered on his medical school yearbook page a photo of two people - one in full blackface standing next to another in a KKK uniform.

Setting aside Northam’s initial statement taking full responsibility for the photo from thirty-five years ago the day it became public. Setting aside less than twenty-four hours later entirely denying his participation in the picture. Setting aside his claim he had never seen or even heard about the picture until he found out about it just as you and I had. How very Obama him.

Yes, setting all that aside, surely Governor Northam’s fortunes couldn’t get worse. Surely he’d stand down, right? Nope. Not only did he not stand down, he wanted to moonwalk. No joke.

In an episode right out of a “Curb Your Enthusiasm” episode, Ralph Northam explained in his first public press conference after the photo became public he knew the photo couldn’t be him. BECAUSE HE’S DONE BLACKFACE BEFORE, he readily confessed. In a Michael Jackson impersonation contest. Where he put on just “a little shoe polish” to color his skin because, as we all know, shoe polish is tough to get off your skin after performing in black face. (Yes, he said these things.)

And the reason he knows it’s not him in his yearbook? Easy! He remembers his blackface episodes vividly and that picture just didn’t ring a bell for him.

If you’ve not choked or done a comedic spit take yet, hang on. There’s more.

A member of the media thought it would be cute to ask Northam, in light of this newly discovered Michael Jackson impression, if he could still moonwalk. Now, this might seem inappropriate given the nature of the subject of the press conference. You might expect a governor in the midst of a race scandal to scold a journalist for such a tone-deaf question.

Not Ralph Northam.

The Governor smiled and began to survey the floor space around his podium as he clearly considered fulfilling the request. The First Lady of Virginia – apparently the only dignified human being in the Governor’s mansion – quickly interrupted off-mic to say, “in appropriate circumstances.” Governor Northam, seemingly disappointed he’d been thwarted in showing off his dance moves repeated, “My wife says in appropriate circumstances.”

What a killjoy, huh?

Northam’s personal and political dumpster fire wouldn’t be the last Virginians would endure this month. Days later, the second in command in Virginia, Lt. Governor Fairfax was accused of sexual assault by two different women. And the third in line to the Governor, Virginia Attorney General Herring came forward to admit he, too, had worn blackface.

Amazingly, all three Democrats are remaining defiant. They’re going nowhere.

As for Northam, in an attempt to rehabilitate his image, he granted an interview with CBS’ Gayle King in which they explored his racial (ahem) blind spots. As Northam urged “healing" – whatever that means – he pondered:

“We are now at the 400-year anniversary — just 90 miles from here in 1619. The first indentured servants from Africa landed on our shores in Old Point Comfort, what we call now Fort Monroe, and while—,”

That’s when Gayle King cut him off. “Also known as slavery.”

“Yes,” Northam confirmed.

Who talks that way about slavery? “Indentured servants landed on our shores?” That sounds kind of genteel, romantic, and dignified doesn’t it? Kind of like Morgan Freeman in “Driving Miss Daisy” meets “Gilligan’s Island.” Not ideal, but not terrible. Kind of sweet, almost.

In fact, it was terrible. Slavery was not “indentured servitude,” nor did slaves “land” here as if on a voyage of their choosing. People who speak as Northam speaks about slavery still refer to the Civil War as “the war of Northern aggression” and refer to Lincoln as a dictator.

Point blank, the Democrat governor of Virginia is a bigot. Worse – and shockingly there is a worse - he endorses the flagrant murder of infant children after their birth. Convenient for the Governor the occurrence of abortions by black women leads other races in Virginia. Two birds with one stone I guess, right Governor?

The Democrats, historically, are the party of institutional racism and political segregation. They have historically been the party that embraces death and rejects protecting innocent life.

The Democrats own Ralph Northam and no one who opposes them in Virginia or across the country should ever let them forget it. The race card they’ve long weaponized against others must no longer be tolerated, nor does it have legitimacy when they play it.

Not even if they moonwalk.

Column by Chris Stigall

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,