REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914825
02/17/19 07:58 PM
02/17/19 07:58 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
How’d that work out in Wisconsin GDaddy?

Btw, I still think chasing Amazon away was a bad idea.

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
"I used to do drugs. I still do, but I used to, too." - Mitch Hedberg
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914826
02/17/19 08:01 PM
02/17/19 08:01 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
If the real beef was with gentrification and the net effect of more poor people out from neighborhoods all over town then I think that's a valid point of discussion, and one that I'd actually agree with and support. But that's a completely different discussion from tax revenues.

#sowhat
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: sizzld1] #2914827
02/17/19 08:04 PM
02/17/19 08:04 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
How’d that work out in Wisconsin GDaddy?

Btw, I still think chasing Amazon away was a bad idea.

I'm not getting your reference. Did WI offer businesses incentives to relocate there?

#sowhat
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914829
02/17/19 08:09 PM
02/17/19 08:09 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Yeah, at Trump’s direction. Foxconn took billions, promised thousands of jobs, and now it appears they will deliver nothing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloombe...ll-has-foxconn-

"I love it when people who are supposed to be surfers.....posting on a surfing forum.....don't know the difference between stoke and stock." - GromsDad
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: Coat Hanger] #2914830
02/17/19 08:11 PM
02/17/19 08:11 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
T

north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: Coat Hanger
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Answer my question and I’ll answer yours.

Your question; "So companies like amazon should run by a completely different set of rules than everyone else?" didn't make any sense so I simply asked for clarification......therefore I asked "What rules would you like them to be run by?"

It just seems to me that you don't understand how any of this works. I'll try to simplify it for you. Amazon is such a desirable company to have in a region that governments were in a bidding war to entice them to build their new East Coast facility in their state or city. Those on the west coast may not have been aware of this and how the process went. States, cities and counties (mostly democrat run by the way) were all submitting proposals to Amazon in the hopes that Amazon would provide a major economic and tax revenue windfall. Amazon selected NY but now has changed its mind......now the facility will be built elsewhere and NY will miss out on BILLIONS in tax revenue to their coffers not to mention an estimated 25,000 new good paying jobs.

Government should have to offer a penny of taxpayer money for any business. You contradict your own ramblings with your harping on this issue. There are far better places to allocate that money which is exactly what cortez’s point is.

Good news. They didn't.

I don't know the details on this, was Amazon essentially trying to get the same sort of deal that NFL teams want when they try to get public financing for a new stadium/complex?

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914836
02/17/19 08:51 PM
02/17/19 08:51 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Manbear still clearly doesn't understand the situation............

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: sizzld1] #2914838
02/17/19 09:00 PM
02/17/19 09:00 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Yeah, at Trump’s direction. Foxconn took billions, promised thousands of jobs, and now it appears they will deliver nothing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bloombe...ll-has-foxconn-

Ah, got it. So the parallels is that there are "direct incentives" and tax breaks being offered in exchange for the promise of additional employment and spending; the actual revenues (and presumably the taxation that would go with those revenues) being far less than promised.

So does this amount to the point that instead of getting 90% of $10B the state's now only going to get 90% of 3B? I mean, isn't that how taxation works - whatever the rate of taxation involved, the proceeds will be based on the amount of revenues that are actually generated?

Obviously a subsidy would involve external money actually being added to the venture, so that part of it functions entirely differently. But i had not heard that NY was actually adding money to the Amazon deal.

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914843
02/17/19 09:17 PM
02/17/19 09:17 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
No. My only point is that things don’t always go as rosy as promised. Wisconsin is getting majorly fvcked. The Amazon situation is different, as I acknowledged.

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: the janitor] #2914850
02/17/19 10:05 PM
02/17/19 10:05 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Online content
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: the janitor
Originally Posted By: Coat Hanger
Answer my question and I’ll answer yours.

Your question; "So companies like amazon should run by a completely different set of rules than everyone else?" didn't make any sense so I simply asked for clarification......therefore I asked "What rules would you like them to be run by?"

It just seems to me that you don't understand how any of this works. I'll try to simplify it for you. Amazon is such a desirable company to have in a region that governments were in a bidding war to entice them to build their new East Coast facility in their state or city. Those on the west coast may not have been aware of this and how the process went. States, cities and counties (mostly democrat run by the way) were all submitting proposals to Amazon in the hopes that Amazon would provide a major economic and tax revenue windfall. Amazon selected NY but now has changed its mind......now the facility will be built elsewhere and NY will miss out on BILLIONS in tax revenue to their coffers not to mention an estimated 25,000 new good paying jobs.

Government should have to offer a penny of taxpayer money for any business. You contradict your own ramblings with your harping on this issue. There are far better places to allocate that money which is exactly what cortez’s point is.

Good news. They didn't.

I don't know the details on this, was Amazon essentially trying to get the same sort of deal that NFL teams want when they try to get public financing for a new stadium/complex?

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/11/16/18098589/amazon-hq2-nyc-queens-long-island-city-explained

Quote:
The agreement comes with a number of incentives: Specifically, Amazon will receive $897 million from the city’s Relocation and Employment Assistance Program (REAP) and $386 million from the Industrial & Commercial Abatement Program (ICAP). It will receive an additional $505 million in a capital grant and $1.2 billion in “Excelsior” credits if its job creation goals are met. That brings the total amount of public funds granted to $2.988 billion—in other words, the city and state will pay Amazon $48,000 per job.

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: ifallalot] #2914851
02/17/19 10:15 PM
02/17/19 10:15 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Originally Posted By: FecalFace
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Are they living by different rules than any other business? Or are they just doing the write-offs that everyone seems to think are ok?

We can argue what the tax code should and shouldn't be all day long, but in the context of what the tax code actually is, Amazon is just doing what every other business does

“Write-offs”, you think that’s what Bezos is doing? roflmao

I see you still don’t understand the difference between tax money funding corporations and expenditure write-offs.

No, you just don't want to admit your own hypocrisy.

roflmao

Says the guy who hates the government while the nanny corporation that pays for his healthcare is subsidized by the government.

Tax-exempt municipal bonds are reserved for public-use projects such as bridges, water systems, and other infrastructure.

Not for fvcking billionaire NFL owners sponging enormous amounts of money from taxpayers through crony capitalist schemes and tax loopholes.

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: GromsDad] #2914864
02/17/19 10:55 PM
02/17/19 10:55 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Manbear still clearly doesn't understand the situation............

roflmao roflmao you are a joke. Everything you stated can exist without gubermint handouts, which you claim to hate.

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914874
02/17/19 11:34 PM
02/17/19 11:34 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

These special deals undermine the rule of law

Tax law is law

If rich companies can negotiate lower taxes, why not rich individuals?

It’s BS

One law for everyone or anarchy

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914876
02/17/19 11:40 PM
02/17/19 11:40 PM
Here
S
sizzld1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
sizzld1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Here
Just read that Amazon paid $0 in Federal taxes on something like $12 billion in profits and that its effective state tax rate amounted to about 2%. Good thing Trump passed massive tax cuts to make sure they aren’t crushed by taxes. dancing

What tax rate did you guys pay this year?

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: frvcvs] #2914878
02/17/19 11:49 PM
02/17/19 11:49 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Flat tax, fire everybody in the IRS, done

Re: If 29yr old AOC is so stupid and unqualified [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2914880
02/17/19 11:53 PM
02/17/19 11:53 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
the janitor  Offline
T

north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted By: the janitor

https://ny.curbed.com/2018/11/16/18098589/amazon-hq2-nyc-queens-long-island-city-explained

Quote:
The agreement comes with a number of incentives: Specifically, Amazon will receive $897 million from the city’s Relocation and Employment Assistance Program (REAP) and $386 million from the Industrial & Commercial Abatement Program (ICAP). It will receive an additional $505 million in a capital grant and $1.2 billion in “Excelsior” credits if its job creation goals are met. That brings the total amount of public funds granted to $2.988 billion—in other words, the city and state will pay Amazon $48,000 per job.

Ahh, thanks! So not too different I guess.

Weird move and timing overall, this feels more like the sort of thing a massively successful company would pull in the middle of a deep recession.

Page 12 of 14 1 2 10 11 12 13 14

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32