REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913459
02/14/19 05:40 PM
02/14/19 05:40 PM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
That's weird. I clicked with my Phantom straight away but it is a little bit different than the stock ones. Narrower and thicker.

One thing that surprised me, however, is that it didn't go well with my standard fins (FT2) which is usual because that's a very neutral template and usually doesn't get in the way of boards.

I use the board with large JW fins which I like but can be hit or miss for me but strangely seems to work in the Phantom in any conditions. Even though the tail doesn't seem overly wide, it seemed to respond much better to larger, more racked fins.

At 6'0 185, I'm surprised to hear that you're riding medium fins. If you have any large fins, I'd give them a try. Otherwise, maybe it's just not the board for you.

What do you usually ride?

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913461
02/14/19 05:43 PM
02/14/19 05:43 PM
San Diego
D
delmartian Offline
Grom
delmartian  Offline
Grom
D

San Diego
Maybe your Phantom is too small then :-)

It's been my go-to board since October and has worked very nicely for me. I feel like it has plenty of speed even in smaller waves as long as you are actively using your legs and rail to keep your momentum up. Probably not the best board for just pointing and cruising.

I agree with Aruka, though, about finding the speed a bit more forward. My natural tendency from years of snowboarding is to put a bit more weight than I should on the front foot when trying to pump the board and go faster. That seems to work well with this board and then I can lean back on the tail pad when I have all that speed and hammer a hard turn with no trouble. But I can imagine that maybe this board wouldn't click with someone who is used to having slightly more weight on their back foot while working a board rail to rail in order to generate speed.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913495
02/14/19 06:33 PM
02/14/19 06:33 PM
T
thelodge Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
thelodge  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

My 5'10 Roberts Meat Cleaver with Roberts med fins went well. My CI Fred Rubble with AM Med fins went very well.

I have also always used the AM Med or Future WCT or Roberts Med.

The Phantom has drive just doesn't feel smooth and on my frontside it has dead spots.

I'm a pretty good surfer (without tooting m own horn).

Will try with bigger AM fins.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913706
02/15/19 01:45 AM
02/15/19 01:45 AM
W
Waxfoot Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Waxfoot  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
W

177cm and 83KG (nearly 40, fit, surfing since 14 y/o, front footed surfer)
(Ill let you do the conversion to freedom units)

I bought a stock 5.10 Phantom, and its the board by which all other boards will be measured by. Simply put, I feel its the best board I have had in years. My famiys been criticising me for boards revolving in and out of my quiver, and Ive had some hits and some misses. Over all, theres been initial froth over a new shooter, but not long after Id pick on something I didnt like. This is obviously reflective of me being a shit surfer, but then again, most of us are shit. The Phantom however, I cannot fault.

It has enough* speed, and I love the way it feels when I pump and work the rails. Takeoffs are easier (presumably because of the wider point forward), and it whips off the top with ease. I think Stab put it best here, where they mention that its just a board that lets you surf to your capability without any weirdness
https://stabmag.com/hardware/joyride-an-honest-review-of-the-pyzel-phantom-surfboard-test/

Only tried it thus far with Large aircore FCS2 AM fins, and would certainly recommend trying out bigger fins to drive you through the flat spots you mention. Have you tried it as a quad yet Noel Salsa seems to have loved that set up more than the thruster, and it certainly seemed better in the comparative footage.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913818
02/15/19 08:42 AM
02/15/19 08:42 AM
S
shaheeb Offline
Grom
shaheeb  Offline
Grom
S

this boart felt really smooth imo, bigger fins for sure at your size.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913825
02/15/19 09:35 AM
02/15/19 09:35 AM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted By: thelodge
Had the board in about 5 surfs, in waves in that 3-5' range, hollow conditions.
Board is very strange. Seems to be a dead spot when I go left, it "hesitates, or slows down" at points.
The board surfs better backside but feels stiff, surfs bigger then the board is.

I have tried AM Med Core fins, Reactor (k2.1) and AM med honeycomb. Reactor felt better but lost some drive. The AM honeycomb (orange ones) felt ok also. AM Med Air core way to stiff.

The board definitely feels like it can handle solid waves.

I will give it a few more surfs before unloading it.

The board is a 5'11. I'm 6'0 185ish. Been surfing for 30 years.

Fin issue? Need to get used to it more?

interesting, your exact issue with dead spot and tougher backside is a problem i've found with boards that were meant to be smaller, but i got them bigger .

Back in the day when I was riding 6'0 x18 1/4 2 1/4, i wanted something for mushier surf. The AM flyer was sort of new and the description seemed fitting. go 1 inch shorter, 1/4" wider. But i thought I could go bigger anyways. Went with only slider wider dims and a little longer and found a twitchy driveless board that got hung up a lot. And it was a boat by comparison.
then I tried one that was the same volume as my sb that was 1 inch shorter and 1/4 inch wider, and voila, magic.

exactly the same thing happened with the RNF from lost. I'm wondering, if your board is too big, or if your fins are too small for your board

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: Waxfoot] #2913854
02/15/19 01:53 PM
02/15/19 01:53 PM
D
daave Online content
Nep status
daave  Online Content
Nep status
D

Same experience for me (roughly same size/set up too). Freaking love it. I'm 170-175 and AM large seems perfect in the board. I've generally used medium fins in my past too. You can try a smaller/more upright center fin if needed for more looseness.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913862
02/15/19 02:41 PM
02/15/19 02:41 PM
T
thelodge Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
thelodge  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

Thanks for the input. I feel if I get the fins right and get more used it the board is going to go mental. The board also has a lot of lift...

Going to try with the bigger AM fins. Also, for the heck of it I'm going to try it as a quad since Noel Salas looked so fast and smooth on it when he did the review. I'm not a quad guy but I'm interested.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913864
02/15/19 02:46 PM
02/15/19 02:46 PM
T
thelodge Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
thelodge  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

On sizing it, Pyzel website says to order about your height. I went an inch shorter to 5'11 (I'm 6').

Most of my other HP shortboards run between 30-31L. The Phantom I have is 31L, figured it would help in the NJ winters with all the rubber and moving water on big swells we get.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2913868
02/15/19 02:52 PM
02/15/19 02:52 PM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I think your sizing is pretty good.

I only rode mine as a quad once and the waves were crap but I did get a few fast slashes on it that felt good. Been meaning to try it as a quad again, maybe next sesh.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: retodd] #2914201
02/15/19 07:53 PM
02/15/19 07:53 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted By: retodd
2 things come to mind

First, the rocker and you just do not get along

Second, the fins were set with more toe in than what is desired. In my past experience I have had this happen . it surfs backside better because you go more top to bottom vs a linear approach from side ( amplifies the snow plow affect )

Retodd's on it. Board is in a different rocker family. Adding tail rocker to what you are used to can make a board feel like it doesn't have drive. The Meat Cleaver and FR have less tail rocker with op's surfing over the years tuned to less. Generating speed is a different dance step. Slows down as it should when you become more neutral and then more rear weighted. That's the result of more than low tail rocker. Backside gets ass weight over rail+tail easier and then speeds up face or stalls comfortably. Put more pressure on rear toe side for front side to push tail through turn and generate speed, slow down rearward weight shift. Surfing less tail rocker you learn to surf neutral or more front footed and subtle rear weight creates what is perceived as positive reaction. Board being shorter than you are tail, the tail rocker is more sensitive than if it was longer. With more tail rocker rearward weight is creating a perception of a negative reaction because you're not expecting the result and you are probably trying to or expecting to generate speed and turn in the same manner as previous.

Instead of trying to pump for speed try to look for speed in sections and glide through them Once once you learn to get to those spots without much motion then you can learn to pump to them in the way the different rockers require it. A different way of surfing for you. If you don't feel comfortable to where it starts to feel natural then going back to a design you previously liked is the better call.

I ride my Roberts Turbo Diesel in Outer Banks and it has similar approach like Phantom/Ghost. I had similar experience of adjustment due to riding Black Punt many years which in similar rocker vein as FR. I surf a lot but still rather surf familiar rockers making the boards I like better than rolling dice on other rockers in the same waves I ride all the time. I have boards with more tail rocker for steep bigger days. You may only want to ride the Phantom on steepest days with very few flat spots and have something with less rocker for fatter days if you can wrap your head around it.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2914202
02/15/19 07:57 PM
02/15/19 07:57 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
Originally Posted By: thelodge
Thanks for the input. I feel if I get the fins right and get more used it the board is going to go mental. The board also has a lot of lift...

Going to try with the bigger AM fins. Also, for the heck of it I'm going to try it as a quad since Noel Salas looked so fast and smooth on it when he did the review. I'm not a quad guy but I'm interested.

Quads will give you more drive and compensate for the loss of drive from the additional tail rocker. Or you can go with bigger fins to help you generate speed as more fin will be working. Once they start to feel tight then you can downsize to your normal fins or go to your regular center. If they still feel tight then go to normal fins since you're now used to the board. If those too loose then find a set in between. Or go quad.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2914245
02/15/19 10:13 PM
02/15/19 10:13 PM
T
thelodge Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
thelodge  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

wow. Good stuff surfwhere. I use Roberts Dream Catcher is the real solid surf here. I love Roberts boards and I'm looking to pick up the Bio Diesel in the future.

Good info.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2914675
02/17/19 11:41 AM
02/17/19 11:41 AM
T
thelodge Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
thelodge  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
T

Phantom Update.

Friend let me borrow old set of Large AM fiberglass fins (the old blue ones). Waves were only waist to chest high and clean with punch The board went so smooth frontside, felt much much better, no dead spots. I couldn't believe the bigger fins worked, you guys were all right. I never surfed large fins in all my years of surfing, only med.

I will see how the board goes backside on the next swell and if that works will pick up a large set of AM fins performance core. Was even thinking of trying it with a MED AM center fin to see if it really loosens it up but still maintaining the drive.

I did try it with a quad but it was terrible, but i'm not a quad guy to begin with.

Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge] #2914678
02/17/19 11:48 AM
02/17/19 11:48 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
"I did try it with a quad but it was terrible, but i'm not a quad guy to begin with."

4 fins , Twins and Thrusters all work great with the right fins .

You would be a "Quad Guy " if you had good help in finning the board .

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7