REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: FecalFace] #2913482
02/14/19 06:09 PM
02/14/19 06:09 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: FecalFace
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Originally Posted By: Autoprax

My lemon tree is off the hook right now. Too many lemons.

Time to make lemoncello.

I give it away for holiday gifts.

Love limoncello.

So what's the process? Maybe Harry was onto something with fermentation?

My recipe:

20 lemons from my front yard
3-4 cups of sugar in 5 cups of water...depends on how sweet you like things
Two bottles of decent vodka

Get the vegetable peeler and take the skin off the lemons. Just the yellow part, not the white pith.
Put shaved skin in glass container, pour on a bottle of booze.
Cover container, wait 30 days.
Put sugar in water, boil 10 minutes.
Pour hot sugar water on lemon peels and add 2nd bottle of hootch.
Cover and wait 30 days.
Strain through coffee filter into clean bottles.

I don't appreciate the "creamsicle" style lemoncello, but if you do, don't use fat free milk product. Add it slowly so that the ethanol content keeps the milkfat disolved...too much milk, you get clumps, and that can taste ok, but looks/feels icky.

Lots of ways to use it, from icy cold shots, to a few drips added to a martini, to spooning in a little to Sunday morning waffles, to a teaspoon in a tall glass of soda water on a hot day.

PS
Squish the juice of the 20 lemons and there is your vitamin C for the next week.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 02/14/19 06:17 PM.
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: sussle] #2913487
02/14/19 06:16 PM
02/14/19 06:16 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: sussle
Originally Posted By: hal9000
Certain fruits produced in certain states are trash. California blueberries, for example. I wouldn't feed them to a goat.

There are a few blueberry farms up around Chico that get cold enough and on good acidic soil to make pretty good blueberries.

But yeah, I know what you are getting at with regards to blueberries...best ones I ever had were up in the NW. Same with a lot of other berries. Mmm, Olallieberries.
huckleberries....never even seen them outside of Idaho, but man are they good. Idaho locals guard huckleberry patch locations like surfers do with spots.

There are "secret" patches on the sides of most volcanoes in the Cascades. One of the better ones that I know of is right on the Pacific Crest Trail just north of the burn area near 10 U 658442.0 m E by 4354470 m N. No stepping in bear poop.

Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000] #2913535
02/14/19 08:09 PM
02/14/19 08:09 PM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Online content OP
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Online Content OP
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
I've never had a huckleberry. Do they taste like blueberries? I'll put a wild blackberry above any other berry. A beach plum is pretty damn good too.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000] #2913550
02/14/19 09:13 PM
02/14/19 09:13 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
The huckleberries I am familiar with taste better than all but the best blueberries. Commercial blueberries can be over-watered and that dilutes the taste and makes the flesh too soft.

More detail on both here.

See that reddish ground cover, huckleberries galore. Just keep an eye out for the nearly hibernating bear looking to pack in a few more calories.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 02/14/19 09:15 PM.
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000] #2913597
02/14/19 10:17 PM
02/14/19 10:17 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Mr Doof] #2913646
02/14/19 11:17 PM
02/14/19 11:17 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Online happy
Duke status
FecalFace  Online Happy
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted By: Autoprax

My lemon tree is off the hook right now. Too many lemons.

Time to make lemoncello.

I give it away for holiday gifts.

Love limoncello.

So what's the process? Maybe Harry was onto something with fermentation?

My recipe:

20 lemons from my front yard
3-4 cups of sugar in 5 cups of water...depends on how sweet you like things
Two bottles of decent vodka

Get the vegetable peeler and take the skin off the lemons. Just the yellow part, not the white pith.
Put shaved skin in glass container, pour on a bottle of booze.
Cover container, wait 30 days.
Put sugar in water, boil 10 minutes.
Pour hot sugar water on lemon peels and add 2nd bottle of hootch.
Cover and wait 30 days.
Strain through coffee filter into clean bottles.

I don't appreciate the "creamsicle" style lemoncello, but if you do, don't use fat free milk product. Add it slowly so that the ethanol content keeps the milkfat disolved...too much milk, you get clumps, and that can taste ok, but looks/feels icky.

Lots of ways to use it, from icy cold shots, to a few drips added to a martini, to spooning in a little to Sunday morning waffles, to a teaspoon in a tall glass of soda water on a hot day.

PS
Squish the juice of the 20 lemons and there is your vitamin C for the next week.

Nice, thanks Mr.Doof.

When you store it for 30 days, I presume you don't refrigerate it?

I'm weary about adding too much sugar because the sweet limes are not tart at all, sugar would make it even sweeter.

The recipes I found online are basically just putting lemon peels in the vodka drunk but I like your recipe better. cheers

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000] #2913655
02/14/19 11:34 PM
02/14/19 11:34 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Correct, not refrigerated.

I am unsure how the Persian Lime peel tastes. I can't think there is much sweetness in it. No putting any juice in the mix.....just make lemonade from the fruit squishings and let the shaved skin soak.

Half of the use of the sugar is to add viscosity and mouthfeel to the resulting beverage, the other is to cut the bitterness of the lemon oil in the peel, and the third 1/2 is for preservation laugh

My recipe isn't much different from "soak the skins you shaved off the lemon in vodka", but really, there is a time element to it (don't store in sunlight or a hot room either, make sure the container is airtight, etc) and a process element to it that makes for a better product. But if you use cheap likker, well, just don't. Am a fan of Skyy or Tito's. Don't go extra super premium, but no going cheap.

I like it best in a tall glass over ice with fizzy water and mint from the garden on those warm summer nights (that we rarely have).

Last edited by Mr Doof; 02/14/19 11:36 PM.
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Mr Doof] #2913687
02/15/19 01:12 AM
02/15/19 01:12 AM
your mom
F
FecalFace Online happy
Duke status
FecalFace  Online Happy
Duke status
F

your mom
Tito's for sure.

I read somewhere that they recommend blanching the citrus skins couple of times to get rid of the bitterness but I'm sure that would also kill the flavor.

I also found out that I mistakenly called it "Persian Lime" which apparently refers to Bearss lime. It's confusing.

Wish I had more lemons and bearss limes, those trees are not producing much this year.

I'll report how it goes. smile2 drunk

"The real enemy are the (gun) manufactures of your toys and the NRA. They play on your fear to steal your money." - ifallalot / 2014
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000] #2913845
02/15/19 11:56 AM
02/15/19 11:56 AM
D
Derrik Offline
Grom
Derrik  Offline
Grom
D

Many of you are fired up and ready to start the moment you learn about the ketogenic diet. This is especially grand if youre newly diagnosed. Now is the time to jump in and make the most impact. Hit
it with all youve got! The step-by-step guidelines in this book and other resources noted here will get you started down the right road

Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: hal9000] #2913909
02/15/19 04:17 PM
02/15/19 04:17 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
I made it a day and then drank a beer.

Just one.

Did that take me out of ketosis?

A threat response is a potent trigger for motivated reasoning.

"People who are right a lot listen a lot, and they change their mind a lot. . . . . They wake up and reanalyze things and change their mind. If you don't change your mind frequently, you're going to be wrong a lot."
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Derrik] #2914118
02/15/19 06:36 PM
02/15/19 06:36 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach
Originally Posted By: Derrik
Many of you are fired up and ready to start the moment you learn about the ketogenic diet. This is especially grand if youre newly diagnosed. Now is the time to jump in and make the most impact. Hit
it with all youve got! The step-by-step guidelines in this book and other resources noted here will get you started down the right road

Cool bro, you gotta podcast? shaka

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Derrik] #2914194
02/15/19 07:46 PM
02/15/19 07:46 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Online happy
Duke status
FecalFace  Online Happy
Duke status
F

your mom

Have you tried DMT?

Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: FecalFace] #2914200
02/15/19 07:52 PM
02/15/19 07:52 PM
A Beach
G
grapedrink Offline
Phil Edwards status
grapedrink  Offline
Phil Edwards status
G

A Beach

Have you tried DMT?

roflmao

You forgot it was STOLEN?!
Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: Mr Doof] #2914225
02/15/19 09:00 PM
02/15/19 09:00 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Online happy
Duke status
FecalFace  Online Happy
Duke status
F

your mom
It's happening. smile2

shocked

Re: Can we talk about the keto diet? [Re: FecalFace] #2914324
02/16/19 02:13 AM
02/16/19 02:13 AM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
Grew up with preserved lemon peel as one of many choices at the crackseed store. This is how we would do it, others had different ways. Get sterilized glass jar and lid. Hot water would get the wax off if there was any, just rinse well if no wax. Pack in jar with layers of salt, layers of lemons. Roll/flip every couple days for week then let sit about 6 weeks. Use the rind for sucking on when throat is sore. Or chop up on chicken or fish. Made a chimichurri like thing as well. Save the leftover salt as well for use. shrug

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Page 46 of 47 1 2 44 45 46 47

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32