REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2913360 - 02/14/19 08:39 AM Pyzel Phantom struggles
thelodge Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Had the board in about 5 surfs, in waves in that 3-5' range, hollow conditions.
Board is very strange. Seems to be a dead spot when I go left, it "hesitates, or slows down" at points.
The board surfs better backside but feels stiff, surfs bigger then the board is.

I have tried AM Med Core fins, Reactor (k2.1) and AM med honeycomb. Reactor felt better but lost some drive. The AM honeycomb (orange ones) felt ok also. AM Med Air core way to stiff.

The board definitely feels like it can handle solid waves.

I will give it a few more surfs before unloading it.

The board is a 5'11. I'm 6'0 185ish. Been surfing for 30 years.

Fin issue? Need to get used to it more?

#2913368 - 02/14/19 09:07 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
retodd Offline
Duke status

2 things come to mind

First, the rocker and you just do not get along

Second, the fins were set with more toe in than what is desired. In my past experience I have had this happen . it surfs backside better because you go more top to bottom vs a linear approach from side ( amplifies the snow plow affect )

#2913370 - 02/14/19 09:13 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
richfs Offline
Grom

I havent ridden the Phantom, but that is *exactly* my impression of the ghost, which is supposedly of the same family as phantom.

Only difference it went worse on my backside than frontside.

hated the ghost.

#2913385 - 02/14/19 09:58 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
I have 2 ghosts and a phantom.

I got my first ghost like a year ago and I clicked with it right away.

The phantom I've had like 3-4 months and while I had some good sessions early on I also had some shockers. I think a bit of that was due to expectations. I was expecting it to grovel and skate over flat spots a bit better than it does but the reality is, while it has a deeper single concave through the midsection it's still the same rocker as the ghost which is meant for good waves with push.

It's weird that you say it feels like a bigger board. I'm 6'3" on a 6'1" (custom) and feel like another inch or two would be nice. Mine feels very lively and easy to throw around. I found right away that without some large and/or raked fins the board lacked drive. At 175lb. I'm liking am2's the best. Another thing I've found with both the ghost and phantom is, due to the forward outline and foam flow, the speed is found a little further forward on the board. The nose rocker looks low but it's not and once I started getting up over it a little more and really pushing off the whole rail for speed it really opened up the phantom for me. Still have to get that back foot over the pad for turns but I've been surfing baja points for the past few weeks mostly riding the phantom and I rarely feel like I'm lacking drive.

#2913392 - 02/14/19 10:14 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
thelodge Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Thank guys. Good feedback. I really want this board to work.

Aruka, I usually never do well with large am (feels like I can't turn them) but will give them a try before I sell.

Maybe the AM Med Air core was too stiff? The am core had drive but feels like I couldn't keep it loose and skatey.

AM MED fins are my go-to fin in most boards.

#2913400 - 02/14/19 10:41 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status

I agree with Aruka. I only have a ghost but love it. These boards go really well when you shuffle around more than most.

#2913408 - 02/14/19 11:05 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
thelodge Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Aruka,

AM2 in Fcs?

#2913413 - 02/14/19 11:15 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
sdsurfrat Offline
Michael Peterson status

Maybe try some real fiberglass fins... shrug

phuck those china 400% margins jewelry fins toilet

#2913424 - 02/14/19 11:45 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: PNW
Originally Posted By: thelodge
Thank guys. Good feedback. I really want this board to work.

Aruka, I usually never do well with large am (feels like I can't turn them) but will give them a try before I sell.

Maybe the AM Med Air core was too stiff? The am core had drive but feels like I couldn't keep it loose and skatey.

AM MED fins are my go-to fin in most boards.

It is puzzling that the board feels stiff with medium am's and yeah it doesn't seem like larger fins would help with that any. I would say for this whole "ghost family" of boards since they have a pretty smooth rocker and outline they are more carvey than slidey, if that makes any sense. Like, the phantom looks like it should break free and slide around pretty easily with that wider tail but with the continuous rocker and smooth outline it kinda just holds. For me that was what really made me fall in love with the ghost in my first good session was coming into a big bowl with speed and laying into it as hard as I could and the board just cut into the face and held all the way through the turn and didn't skip or stutter like I expected. The phantom has a lot wider tail but there is still a lot of hold on the rail which makes it pretty fun in big surf like couple feet overhead and punchy no problem. I have gotten better at creating speed on the phantom in small waves but it's still not a great groveler compared to my Stamps GX which has staged midsection rocker for better planing and a little hip in the outline to free up the tail. I don't bother with the phantom unless it's fairly decent surf usually chest+.

#2913425 - 02/14/19 11:45 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
Duffy Online   content
Phil Edwards status

Loc: Your moms house
Stock 511 is probably too big for you.

- The Wasp

#2913426 - 02/14/19 11:47 AM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Loc: cold
I'm exactly your size and medium fins lack drive. AM2 (Merrick Large) in Futures is my go to fin that always works. GAM (Merrick large) in FCS2

Edited by trevorbc (02/14/19 11:50 AM)

#2913439 - 02/14/19 12:07 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
thelodge Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

At 6'0 185 lbs? I'm from NJ and use it in a 5 mill for the winter.

#2913445 - 02/14/19 12:14 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Yea man. I'm 6'0 185 and in Maine so same wetsuit deal, surfing 30 plus years too. Medium fins are too small in my opinion unless the waves are very good or you are willing to put in the time to make a board work no matter what. AM2 all the way.

Edited by trevorbc (02/14/19 12:14 PM)

#2913447 - 02/14/19 12:17 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: trevorbc]
trevorbc Offline
Billy Hamilton status

If that doesn't work then as Retodd said, you may just not click with that rocker. I've felt this way about the DHD DX1 and Lost V2.

#2913448 - 02/14/19 12:18 PM Re: Pyzel Phantom struggles [Re: thelodge]
sozzle Offline
Billy Hamilton status

i used to hate my phantom but i love it now, took me 3-4 months to get it to work consistently but i'm glad i kept it, using large mayhems on the sides and a wct/2.1 rear, i'm 155lbs on a stocko 5'7" in full 5mm winter kit.

you do need to shuffle around a bit for sure to get the most out of it unless the waves are really good but i can get it grooving even in smaller weak shit now as long as i make sure to stay tight in the pocket,

i haven't had a board that comes out of turns like the phantom does for a long long time.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 >