REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: PPK96754] #2925617
03/10/19 12:46 AM
03/10/19 12:46 AM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Online content
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted By: PPK96754
Originally Posted By: everysurfr
There is absolutely no way to site mix colored concrete, and achieve a uniform color. It's just not going to happen. Next step, get the jack hammers!

I beg to differ. Deb & her 1st husband, ( me, being the 2nd ) got the cement truck drivers to add the "color" (black) into the trucks on the job site. They were paid handsomely for the extra time & clean up to each truck that participated. Front door entryway, hallway, bathroom & both upstairs bedrooms are colored in black cement.

you are absolutely correct. You can add color into a mixing trucks it sits in the driveway.. That's actually how they do it at the plant. All the ingredients are dry added into the truck, and then water is added as the dry ingredients are loaded and rotated in the drum.

Mr. Doof's contractor was planning on site mixing in a trailer mixer, 1/8 yard at a time. That is what I meant by site mix.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: everysurfr] #2925659
03/10/19 04:41 AM
03/10/19 04:41 AM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
Agree. Dad had a masonry/drywall business in the 808 since 72'. Grew up around it and worked in it for many years. Batching in the truck or the plant will be the closest thing to consistent you might get. Really hard to match a buyers color cause the reality is nature/chemistry has it's own way.

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2925796
03/10/19 04:27 PM
03/10/19 04:27 PM
hulling, mostly...
S
SurfFuerte Offline
Michael Peterson status
SurfFuerte  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

hulling, mostly...
the more i know about home maintenance/improvements, the more i trust in DIY.

roscoe jones
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2925844
03/10/19 05:32 PM
03/10/19 05:32 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Here's a story I was just told by a perspective client.

The guy has a house in the Montecito flood area. The crawlspace was filled with mud, and the water level went up about a foot inside the house. He hired one of the larger local contractors to dig him out. The contractor charged him $250,000 to pull up the flooring to expose the framing and dirt below, and dig him out. It's now been 14 months since the flood. For several reasons, the owner fired the contractor.

I got a call to help him put it all back together, but with the owner being the "contractor".

I politely declined. My reasoning was for less than that same $250, 000 we could have demolished the house, and built a new house to the point where he was at. A gutted house with exposed framing and an open floor down to the dirt.

I didn't want to be part of it when the lawyers came around. That, and when I said he needed an engineer to design some of the missing pieces, and get a permit, his response was just go do it without.

When you ask most contractors, "Did you build that?" They will say yes. But the truth is that they hired subcontractors to do the job. The work will turn out as well as the lowest bid subcontractors would do.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2928007
03/14/19 10:38 PM
03/14/19 10:38 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Sweetie-pie got a call the other day from CSLB.

Asking if we are happy with how things are progressing and if we want to drop the complaint.

She told them that we are happy that they have resumed work, but we don't want to drop the complaint because
1 everything isn't done,

2 there has never been any discussion regarding the alleged fraud (which we think is pretty well documented in our submission),

3 no plan to close up the unauthorized/out of scope exploratory "work" aka holes in the exterior,

4 discussion of cost recovery for work paid for based on illegal statements (they do not hold a pest control licences so they cannot recommend work based on 'you have termites behind that stucco we need to fix'),

5 and other things, like not obtaining a permit for structural work on the front bay window

CSLB rep said it would take 60 days to review/investigate fully.

Sweetie-pie said, "Fine, continue."

Front window work (sans permit) continued through yesterday.....at least now the main window doesn't sit wonky/put of true in the jams any more, and the gaps on the side windows are less than a quarter inch.

Pour still scheduled for this Saturday.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: everysurfr] #2928011
03/14/19 10:41 PM
03/14/19 10:41 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA

I didn't want to be part of it when the lawyers came around. That, and when I said he needed an engineer to design some of the missing pieces, and get a permit, his response was just go do it without.

Don't owners realize that properly permitted repair work makes a home more valuable when it comes time to sell?

It is like when people buy a car and don't ask to see the title....due diligence pays dividends!

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2928032
03/14/19 11:28 PM
03/14/19 11:28 PM
S
sussle Offline
Michael Peterson status
sussle  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

Don't owners realize that properly permitted repair work makes a home more valuable when it comes time to sell?

It is like when people buy a car and don't ask to see the title....due diligence pays dividends!
no chit.

here in coastal SE NC, houses are built on 12 foot pilings...but the neighborhood is full of houses with unpermitted living space on the ground floor. not only worthless in terms of adding value, it's actually a liability when the time comes to sell because it's not living space if it's not permitted.

ideologically vacant
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2928124
03/15/19 05:11 AM
03/15/19 05:11 AM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
What!?! I have to wait 8 weeks for approval? And pay them how much money!?!

I just reply with don't you want somebody watching to see if I screw up? If they still insist, i politely decline the work. I also explain that i have a good reputation with all the inspectors, and im not about to throw that away by getting caught.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2928134
03/15/19 06:32 AM
03/15/19 06:32 AM
K
ko25ok Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ko25ok  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

How do people end up paying 250k to someone like that? Did they do no research on their project or ask around at all?

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: ko25ok] #2928579
03/16/19 04:09 AM
03/16/19 04:09 AM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted By: ko25ok
How do people end up paying 250k to someone like that? Did they do no research on their project or ask around at all?

The Contractor is one of the bigger companies in Santa Barbara. They built a reputation over the years as a good company. When the disaster hit, they swooped into action. They aggressively chased the work. They had signs in front of dozens of homes with "Locals helping Locals" signs.

The recent workings of the company have changed quite a bit. The founder is no longer active, and management is running the business as a pure profit driven machine. They hire unqualified but well spoken supervisors. Pretty faces who give confidence but don't have the knowledge. There is a high turn over of these guys. Trial by fire on the client's dime. They charge by the hour for these "managers"

So after the disaster, the Insurance company writes a big check, and the company gets to work. Lots of bodies, spinning their wheels. A big invoice gets paid, before the client realizes at this pace, they will never be able to finish the job.

It will take a decade or so for the word to get around to no longer trust their reputation. By that time, the money will be gone, the principals will be retired, and the company will fade away.

Another thing that keeps it going is that the customer doesn't know they were fleeced. There are hundreds of corners that can get cut, that won't show up for years. For example, I can paint your cabinets. 2 or 4 coats looks the same, but 4 coats will last decades longer. Same with the paint. $25 a gallon paint looks the same as $45 a gallon paint for the first six months to the trained eye. 2 years to the untrained eye. 4 years down the line, the $25 a gallon will look like shit to everyone. Which is better for the client? Pay an extra $500 in materials today, and have it look new for a decade. Which is better for the contractor? Save the $500 today, and get a repaint job in 5 years for $4,000.

Personally, I hate this shit. That's why, more than a few times, I've offered knowledge for free to anyone who asks. And no, I'm not trying to get more business. I've already got too much of that to keep me from surfing.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: ko25ok] #2928580
03/16/19 04:41 AM
03/16/19 04:41 AM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: ko25ok
This thread is making me nervous because I am about to hire a contractor to do some work next year.

U should b nervous. Chances are ur gonna get fleeced.

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2929174
03/17/19 11:43 PM
03/17/19 11:43 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Well? How did the stairs go?

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: everysurfr] #2929434
03/18/19 05:41 PM
03/18/19 05:41 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
7:30 AM Saturday was the start of the single monolithic pour.

About 5 yards of cement from a cement truck to a pumper then to the forms.

A fair bit of silicon carbide then smoothed into the top for traction and that particular midnight sparkle look that you get outside on the sidewalk in front of the Pacific Stock Exchange building in the lovely Financial District here in town.

And another development...the contractor wanted to know if we still needed to get a permit/inspection for the front bay window. We said 'Of course". (what we didn't say is that is their failure to obtain this at the start of the project was one of the reasons we reported you guys especially since the sign contract says they will pull all permits needed for the projects.)

Anyway, once the cement was poured and starting to cure to concrete, packed up the vehicle, and went for a surf in the sunny, offshore, wonky waves. The cool water tells me the permanent spring summer winds are just about to kick into gear.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2934089
03/26/19 05:25 PM
03/26/19 05:25 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
More follow-up.

Unsure of next move.

Still need:

1 Stucco work
2 Painting
3 Repair of 'exploratory' openings made in other parts of the exterior walls.

Oh, they obtained a permit, retroactively, for work done on the front window.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2934183
03/26/19 08:15 PM
03/26/19 08:15 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
That's why I hate the CSLB. All your aggravation, and all they do is write him a letter, that says next time he better be good, or maybe they will get mad at him.

Remember that stucco isn't waterproof. Only the waterproofing behind is. Windows are especially notorious for leaking and rot.

California blend paints mainly suck. Dunn Edwards Aristoshield is good for woodwork.

Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32