REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: ocean7847] #2913790
02/15/19 06:14 AM
02/15/19 06:14 AM
C
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto Offline
Michael Peterson status
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Originally Posted By: ocean7847
Yes, but in a totally different context. They can pressure people who have something to lose. Not sure if you situation involves the right elements...

Like Ocean, I have gotten the CSLB involved in a totally different context. They decided not to bother doing anything about our commercial construction fraud complaint because there was an active lawsuit, which they took to mean they didn't need to bother finding any facts through the administrative process. Waste of our time.

...if you're in $140K at this point, it's probably lawyer time.

all i ever wanted in life was a consistent 6-10 foot righthand barrel
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2913791
02/15/19 06:16 AM
02/15/19 06:16 AM
Central Cal
L
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status
Leaverite  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Central Cal
If it goes to court, sounds like it might. It all ends up on who presents the best case. Right or wrong.

Who sways the jury. Have you retained a good lawyer at this point? This can be the make it or break it.

Yes it can be costly. But you need to weigh the cost factor of retaining an attorney to what you you would spend to pick up the pieces left behind by your current contractor. And a good attorney could get you a settlement from your current contractor. A whole new, evil world.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Leaverite] #2913881
02/15/19 03:15 PM
02/15/19 03:15 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
everysurfr Online content
Michael Peterson status
everysurfr  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
The current contractor would need to have assets for you to recover.

Worst case is you spend $50,000 to the lawyer, to win a $20,000 judgement to omly collect on the contractors $7,000 bond.

*** You are ignoring this user ***
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: everysurfr] #2914237
02/15/19 09:38 PM
02/15/19 09:38 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: everysurfr
The current contractor would need to have assets for you to recover.

Worst case is you spend $50,000 to the lawyer, to win a $20,000 judgement to omly collect on the contractors $7,000 bond.

Exactly.

Right now, they've been reported. We let that play out before we do anything next. Lawyers are last resort (I am a fan of escalation rather just start out with thermonuclear bombs).

They continue to do work, but the thing is, it looks like they are repeating work already done.

What I mean by that is, for example, the contract stated 5/8" plywood on outer wall.

When they put in the plywood, I got out the measuring tape one morning when the company heads were there and showed then that 1/2 was installed. Then they said they'd put 1/2" on the inside wall, and I looked at them wonderingly...how can two 1/2" pieces being cheaper than one 5/8" and the plans and permit say just one 5/8" is required? A week later they put in the 1/2" plywood on the inside wall to compliment the 1/2" on the outside wall. I figure that is now 1" plywood on both sides of teh studs, so that should be better than just one sheet of 5/8" on the outside, right?

Then yesterday I came home to find that the 1/2" plywood on the inside is now gone completely.

It was dumping rain at the time so i didn't check if they put 5/8 up on the outside.

Also, it appears they removed/replaced a new vertical support beam they put in last week...this week old one was laying next to the scaffolding when I came home last night. The new one looks better and sits flush where the other one was poorly installed.

The project really needs their foreman onsite to watch the workers rather than just give them 1/2 hr instructions then take off so work is not repeated....do it right and do it once.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: LogHauler] #2914239
02/15/19 09:47 PM
02/15/19 09:47 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: LogHauler
These type of scenerios always make me wonder; how did the customer go about choosing their contractor?

Did they simply choose the lowest bid? Did they ask questions about specific costs? Were potential change orders discussed in advance? Did the contractor point out possible problem areas, (that might get uncovered), during work?

I'm not a contractor but I do some DIY stuff. Every time I take on a DIY home project, something else comes up that needs attention BEFORE I finish. EVERY TIME! It's best to expect problems and have a game plan for how they will be handled in advance. If you wait until after, your contractor has you by the balls.

I'm not saying that you didn't do these things. I'm just giving my 2 cents

We did not go with the cheapest bid nor did we pay another contractor $5000 just to get a bid (this fee would go towards the project if we choose them).

We looked 3 yrs for a good contractor...the licensed and bonded ones were all busy doing soft story retrofits and says to get back to them in a year, and when we did call of few of those back, they told us to call back in another year.....

We got a number of referrals, but most of them were unlicensed 'handyman", so nope, and the others never called back or wouldn't provide a fixed start and end date or wouldn't pull permits ("It is just a govt scam that costs you more.")

It appears there is a few reasons why Home Depot exists and right now, in my current frame of mine, it is because no one cares more about your home and doing a good job at a fair price than the owner of said home.

Oh, and I had figured in a cost overrun of 25% above original contract and an extra month of time from the get go. Over both.....

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2914252
02/15/19 10:33 PM
02/15/19 10:33 PM
L
LogHauler Online content
Legend (inyourownmind)
LogHauler  Online Content
Legend (inyourownmind)
L

Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

It appears there is a few reasons why Home Depot exists and right now, in my current frame of mine, it is because no one cares more about your home and doing a good job at a fair price than the owner of said home.

Indeed!

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2914262
02/15/19 11:33 PM
02/15/19 11:33 PM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
I sent u a p.m.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2917541
02/22/19 07:26 PM
02/22/19 07:26 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Update

1. Got contact letter/information from our case worker at CSLB this Monday past. In the letter they say they have been in contact with the contractor.

2. Got email from contractor by Wednesday and some answers to questions we had previously put in writing to our contractors (and had previously not got an answer back)

3. Contractor had removed the 1/2 inch plywood on the house side of the 'stairs-to be' and put in 3/4 inch ply. Contractor removed the 1/2 inch plywood on exterior side of the stairs-to-be (the plywood had been screwed into the new risers (that had been installed back in November) in January

4. Thursday we had a SF city inspector come by to check out stair progress. inspector asked about front window work (no permit pulled) and asked about "exploratory" stucco removal elsewhere (which was done without consent of owners). Contractor declined to say much more than "We aren't doing any work there." (these points are a primary driver of the complaint)

5. Thursday contractor installed 5/8 plywood on the exterior side of the stairs-to-be. Also handed Sweetie-pie color samples of concrete....she said they were nowhere close to slate and just looked like old freeway concrete. [We had given contractor back in October instructions on the concrete stairs, both color and finish. If 1 is white, 5 is perfect grey, and 10 is black, we want 9, and we want those silicon carbine flakes embedded in it, just like the sidewalk on Montgomery in front of the old stock exchange..Midnight Sparkle I think it was called back in the day.] She repeated our design wishes and pointed out the contract where is says just that.

6. During lunch, I get to draft response to contractor about pulling permit for the front window work we had...they didn't pull one despite removing the window by sawing out, replacing some dry rot beams, then reinstalling it (poorly at that). Here is what SF building code says " DO I NEED A BUILDING PERMIT TO REPLACE WINDOWS? ALL replacement windows that are visible from a street or other public right-of-way require Planning Department review.

So, since there is some movement where there had been none, so far it is looking like the CSLB move is a good one.

Now to report them to the Pest Control board for unlicensed pest reporting and remediation. No half court press for us.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2922574
03/04/19 06:30 PM
03/04/19 06:30 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
The on-going saga has a new wrinkle: a break-in this Saturday morning past.

Bix the Cat gave us the alarm....woke both of us up

When I got downstairs, the side door was pushed in, door jam splintered. No one around.

Go up stairs, call police...not a 911 call. Then call construction company.

Police show up, we discuss matters. Construction company rep shows, we discuss matters.

Nothing appears stolen....none of our stuff, none of their stuff.

They broke their 1/4 inch screwdriver shaft in the successful prying of the door, half of it was on the ground along with the some plastic from the handle.

Neighbor from across the street shows up, he might have something on his security cam.

The other neighbor, Joe-the-retired-cop comes over to talk.

I need to talk to the neighbor up the street and see if they got anything on their camera.

Sweetie-pie and I spend rest of the day rebuilding the door frame and put in new security features. We had just reinforced our doors a few months ago because we know homes undergoing long term work become targets for crime.

PS
Just got copy of video surveillance from the neighbor across the street. Looks like the driver of a white newish hatchback Accord sedan had two accomplices. Not good enough to catch the plate though. 5:11 AM through 5:16 AM. Can see their flashlights play over the scaffolding, the rebar on the steps, and by the door they got through. Not super helpful in IDing them, but provides time and get-a-way car. I'll see if I can post up a screen grab of it....can't post the whole vid though.

PPS
Another inspection is sceduled for today. Gotta inspect the rebar installation this time. I will point out that this is the 2nd time they have built the rebar steps. On Tuesday they were done, then Wednesday, they had the engineer out, then removed all the rebar steps, then Thursday through Saturday, they rebuilt the rebar steps. If it passes inspection today, they build the forms next then do then pour, then a final inspection.

Last edited by Mr Doof; 03/04/19 06:33 PM.
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2922583
03/04/19 06:35 PM
03/04/19 06:35 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Dang Mr. Doof. That's nerve wracking. Glad it wasn't more serious.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2922595
03/04/19 06:40 PM
03/04/19 06:40 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge
do the new security features include a claymore mine or are you going with the traditional punji sticks?

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: the janitor] #2922647
03/04/19 07:11 PM
03/04/19 07:11 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
We (meaning a contractor) are about to start work on both upstairs bathrooms, and this thread gives me anxiety

He has years of straight "A"s on Angies list, and 36 years of complaint-free history. But, you never know.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2922675
03/04/19 07:26 PM
03/04/19 07:26 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
There are any number of statistics that show homes undergoing repair/maintenance suffer a higher than average break-in rate.

The fact that we were in bed sleeping until our cat woke us while they were breaking with tools in bumps this up to felony category.

I suppose that had I to jumped up the moment Bix first started meowing and grabbed the ceremonial sword off the wall and run down the stairs to the garage, things may have been a little more entertaining to report.

The officer who showed up more or less confirmed the nature of the break-in "They were probably not expecting anyone to be home with the scaffolding up like this but may have heard your cat and then your movement and when they knew the house wasn't empty left."

On a side note, the old VCR next to the drill press in our box-of-things-to-take-to-Goodwill was in prime view of them if they had gone a few steps in...guess thieves are getting picky. laugh

Last edited by Mr Doof; 03/04/19 07:26 PM.
Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2922954
03/05/19 03:51 AM
03/05/19 03:51 AM
Santa Barbara County
E
Michael Peterson status
Michael Peterson status
E

Santa Barbara County
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
The on-going saga has a new wrinkle: a break-in this Saturday morning past.

Bix the Cat gave us the alarm....woke both of us up

When I got downstairs, the side door was pushed in, door jam splintered. No one around.

Go up stairs, call police...not a 911 call. Then call construction company.

Police show up, we discuss matters. Construction company rep shows, we discuss matters.

Nothing appears stolen....none of our stuff, none of their stuff.

They broke their 1/4 inch screwdriver shaft in the successful prying of the door, half of it was on the ground along with the some plastic from the handle.

Neighbor from across the street shows up, he might have something on his security cam.

The other neighbor, Joe-the-retired-cop comes over to talk.

I need to talk to the neighbor up the street and see if they got anything on their camera.

Sweetie-pie and I spend rest of the day rebuilding the door frame and put in new security features. We had just reinforced our doors a few months ago because we know homes undergoing long term work become targets for crime.

PS
Just got copy of video surveillance from the neighbor across the street. Looks like the driver of a white newish hatchback Accord sedan had two accomplices. Not good enough to catch the plate though. 5:11 AM through 5:16 AM. Can see their flashlights play over the scaffolding, the rebar on the steps, and by the door they got through. Not super helpful in IDing them, but provides time and get-a-way car. I'll see if I can post up a screen grab of it....can't post the whole vid though.

PPS
Another inspection is sceduled for today. Gotta inspect the rebar installation this time. I will point out that this is the 2nd time they have built the rebar steps. On Tuesday they were done, then Wednesday, they had the engineer out, then removed all the rebar steps, then Thursday through Saturday, they rebuilt the rebar steps. If it passes inspection today, they build the forms next then do then pour, then a final inspection.

Unless I'm missing something in the design, it is customary to set the forms , then set the steel afterwards. The bottom of the footing needs to be free of all loose dirt. Also the stair footings should go at least a foot and a half into competent undisturbed soil. Otherwise you get settling. A house footing goes much deeper, and is the soil engineers call.

Re: Anyone ever report a contractor to CSLB [Re: Mr Doof] #2923201
03/05/19 05:51 PM
03/05/19 05:51 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline OP
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline OP
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
They are building the forms this morning.

When I let the first worker in at 6:50 AM, I asked about the inspection that was supposed to have taken place yesterday. He said, "It must have happened...the cement guy is here today."

At 7:30 when the project manager showed up, I talked to him.

"The inspection is should be tomorrow or the day after. Trying to pin it down."

When asked about the color of the concrete to be poured and if he had cleared the color (chroma actually, not color) with Sweetie-pie, he said that he had and it would be "slate". To be clear I said, "If 1 is white, and 10 is black, we want a 9, and that corresponds to 'slate', right?" He confirmed it was.

When asked if the form building should be done by end of day, he said, "Yes, today, but maybe a little tomorrow before the inspection."

Sigh, already a little drift in 10 minutes of talk.

By the way, the new stairs, which replace 1930 brick and mortar over wood frame stairs, were supposed to be completed with a single pour (from a cement truck) over rebar and wood forms on properly supported wood ramp and top/bottom landings. Now, it appears they are going to mix it onsite and do a series of pours. More drift.

Oh, one last thing, the footing at the bottom goes into a 2 foot deep trench which already has a cage of rebar that has been drilled/bolted/epoxied into the existing foundation and the new foundation they poured in late Nov. 2018.

Page 2 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32