REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2910854 - 02/08/19 03:33 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: sozzle]
juandesooka Offline
Grom

The gong potential is pretty rad. I paid $800cdn+ for a chinese knock off 15 months ago, now can get a name brand with 3 wings for the same price. That opens things up a lot.

My friend is undecided, I gave him the following analogy:
If foils are like surfboards, then the Gong L would be like having an 7.6 egg ... an all rounder jack of all trades that works decently in most conditions. It will work fine as your single board in medium surf.
But if you prefer to surf a shortboard/longboard combo, to have a better tool for small wave days vs bigger wave days, then maybe you would want a M/XL foil combo. Can switch up to smaller wing when the waves are bigger.
And if you also want a SUP equivalent, so you can ride virtually any tiny wave or even chase fun when it's flat, then that's the XXL.

Seem around right? What's that expression, "he who dies with the most toys wins", not sure about the dying part, but I like the toys

#2910864 - 02/08/19 03:46 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: juandesooka]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
I've only ridden one foil and been at it for less than a year. Maybe some of the other guys with more wings under their belt can reply to clarify it. I'm 6'1" 185#.

My one wing is the Naish L which is similar to the gong M. I use that foil in everything from tiny 1 foot to overhead. It works in all those scenario's on a 4'8" prone board. The reason I want a slightly larger foil is to be able to pump back out to waves easier. My technique is getting better, but I imagine it is easier learn how to pump back out and connect more 2 for 1's on a larger foil.

I don't ever see myself on the Naish Medium as that would be for larger faster waves where I'd just get onto a normal surfboard instead.

The only reason to get the gong XXL for me would be to learn how to do downwind runs. I don't currently have a board for that so I'm not totally sold. Just very interested.

#2910923 - 02/08/19 04:39 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
juandesooka Offline
Grom

I have tried out a few wings now. Takuma V100 clone, replaced with a Slingshot Infinity 84 (like Gong XL), now also have a Slingshot H2 (similar to Gong M I suspect). I've also tried a Stringy prototype of his XL wing. I've only sup foil'ed so far, intend to progress to surf foil once it is dialed in. I am 5.9, 170#, and I wear 20lbs of rubber (5/4 hooded suit, booties, gloves)

The 84 wing gets onto the foil so easy that it's silly. I suspect you could flat water pump it for days once you have the technique down. The negative is that in punchier waves or bigger than waist to chest high, it becomes a handful to keep it in the water. Before someone chimes in about their top end with this wing, don't get me wrong, it is doable at higher speeds, but have to work at it. In contrast, the smaller H2/Stringy feel so nicely locked in at higher speeds. That size wing also works well for light wind kiting. I agree that a wing any smaller than that, it would be exceptionally challenging to surf foil, unless it was tow-in's in large waves.

#2911186 - 02/09/19 12:27 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
keoki Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Seem like GoFoils are still premium prices compared to all these other brands. Is their construction and durability worth it?

#2911207 - 02/09/19 12:56 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Main difference is GoFoil are all carbon. These cheaper foils are typically aluminum mast and fuselage. There are plenty of foils more expensive than GoFoil too.

#2911295 - 02/09/19 06:07 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
juandesooka Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Hdip
Main difference is GoFoil are all carbon. These cheaper foils are typically aluminum mast and fuselage. There are plenty of foils more expensive than GoFoil too.

Good point -- and if there's an all-carbon equivalent to Gong right now, I think it would be the Ke Nalu foils. At 50% off last year's stock, an all carbon foil for $700-800US is hard to beat.

But even beyond the carbon, GoFoil have kept their first mover advantage. Pretty much universally accepted as the pioneers, developing quality gear that can be trusted to work. I have full respect for that, even if I am personally not willing to buck up.

#2911460 - 02/10/19 12:00 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: juandesooka]
keoki Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Yea i have already sunk the cost into my GF IWA just being a cheap and envious when i see lower cost equipment out there.

#2911766 - 02/10/19 10:05 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
gregfoil Offline
Grom

Gofoil being all carbon, it makes a big difference compared to aluminiun.

I never rince my foil and I have no issue with corosion.

It is lightweight and strong.

#2912228 - 02/11/19 10:52 PM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: SJC
Went back to the Naish large today.

What a difference! Quick and lively after riding the XL the last couple days. Most of my waves I was cutting back to the power, as opposed to pumping to stay in the pocket. Kicked out of a couple to try and pump back out, not nearly as much glide as the XL. Also felt I could correct a lot better with the L when going over turbelence, I would usually get bucked off the XL.

Very interested to see where Naish goes with the next iteration of Large wing.

Started using the windspeed app, felt faster today but the app said top speeds were nearly the same.

Edited by grendel95 (02/11/19 10:54 PM)

#2912860 - 02/13/19 12:15 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

#2912864 - 02/13/19 12:32 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
gregfoil Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Hdip

That is my back up board I'm selling it to get a new one.

#2912869 - 02/13/19 12:47 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: gregfoil]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Nice. How is the bigger takuma concept. Theres a 610 on Craigslist. I was wondering if I could learn downwind foil (prone) on it. Im sort of off my gongfoil idea now though, so doubt Ill get a big downwind foil anytime soon. Waiting on clamsmashas review.

#2912872 - 02/13/19 01:06 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
gregfoil Offline
Grom

The 6'10 is a SUP 6'10 x 26 so too wide to prone paddle.

#2912875 - 02/13/19 01:37 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

#2912954 - 02/13/19 11:29 AM Re: Best foil for you. [Re: Hdip]
juandesooka Offline
Grom

Gregfoil: your board is tempting. I have a chunk of eps foam with the intention of a diy project, but yours probably works out cheaper and it works! If I was in SoCal, it would probably irresistible.

Hdip: did you get convinced otherwise about Gong? if so, what was the decider? The price is so tempting, but there's still not much first-hand reports and reviews online. I am fairly confident they work great, but that certainty would increase with a whole bunch of people chiming "I have this foil, I love it, and I rip on it". :-)

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >