REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2912092 - 02/11/19 04:54 PM Surf hat recommendation
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

In my advancing years parts of my body are rebelling against my favorite activity- surfing.

I've found that lately the "head flick" to get the hair out of my face is causing all kind of neck problems. It's to the point where it causes tingling and numbness in my hand. In the winter I wear a hood (for that other creeping ailment- surfer's ear), but I think I need something for the summer. One of the things I feel lucky for is a full head of hair and I keep it kind of long so I need something.

Anybody here use a hat, one that doesn't get in the way and doesn't too kooky?

#2912102 - 02/11/19 05:12 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: north of the bridge
I don't have a surf hat recommendation, but that won't stop we from giving unsolicited advice monkey

I'm guessing it is more than just the head flick causing your neck issues. Might want to see a Dr.

Are you doing anything to strengthen your neck? Assuming you don't have some nasty neck thing (though numbness sounds nasty to me shrug ) maybe try laying on your back and doing 50 "yes" motions with your head slightly elevated off the ground and 25 "no" motions

Edited by the janitor (02/11/19 05:16 PM)
Edit Reason: forgot unsolicited advice

#2912104 - 02/11/19 05:16 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
i have a patagonia hat; haven't used it in a long time but it works well. use a string to attach it to your wetsuit though as it can fall off and disappear.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2912106 - 02/11/19 05:18 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
sussle Offline
Michael Peterson status

up to about chest high or so, i just wear a baseball hat, for the opposite reason - no hair, want to limit exposure to the sun, plus glare reduction for morning sessions on the EC. my SO brings me microfiber hats from Brazil, cheap, dries almost instantly. however, over chest high, they do become too much trouble to hang on to...

i lose a hat every couple of years, but i have two red ones, which i will never wear anywhere else, and don't care if i lose them.

#2912113 - 02/11/19 05:38 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
Patagonia one works well.

#2912120 - 02/11/19 05:51 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
Waxfoot Offline
Grom

Wear a normal trucker cap with a piece of string attached to the back, and connect to your rashie if you must.

You feel like you want to hold on to your hair, because you're blessed with a full head of it... which to me means you have some sense of pride and self-worth and I don't think you're ready for one of those hats.

Guys who wear those hats, are the same guys who wear Crocs shoes 'because they're so comfortable' (pretty sure they're a US thing as well... those big plastic polio shoe looking things), and surf a 6.8' egg (or alternatively, a massively over sized Slater designs Omni). It's a slippery slope towards wearing two pairs of glasses, one on your eyes and the other around your neck ... at which point in your life, you've totally given up on the sex.

Edited by Waxfoot (02/11/19 06:33 PM)

#2912129 - 02/11/19 06:29 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
You have hair? Damn.

Id go with a headband.

- The Wasp

#2912134 - 02/11/19 06:58 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
keenfish Offline
Duke status

Loc: Trona

Just go for the EL Guapo and you don't even need to put on sunscreen.

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax

#2912135 - 02/11/19 07:05 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
Topeslide Offline
Grom

I had a hair problem, so I cut my hair. By the way, women do not dig man buns. I guess it is true like in the song, Vanity Kills.
I wear a nylon trucker hat in the Summer if I am out later since I hate the sun in my eyes.

#2912157 - 02/11/19 07:53 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
pagey Online   content
Grom

This is the best one I've found. Stays on and the bill flips up.

https://surfmunkey.com/?id=12

#2912158 - 02/11/19 07:55 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
oneula Offline
Michael Peterson status

I bought one of these
https://surfmunkey.com/
helps to flip it up when paddling out to duckdive and flip it down when you are outside sitting in the sun

I don't like the hat's that cover your ears like the dakine one you might as well use a gath

as for buckets
the ripcurl, patagonia, fcs and creatures are good. I like the creatures bucket.
My brother uses buckets as do allot of others
Keith uses a trucker style after getting melanoma.
my classmate uses these hinano camo buckets whenever he goes to indo

You can have the munkey hat if you want it just let me know I've been out of action for years now with these shoulders.
Hard to surf if you can't paddle.

In high school we'd steal and use our waterpolo hats and surf in our speedo's like that picture. Of course, I was 140lbs back then from polo. Not a beast like that guy who looks more like our coach who played in the olympic us team

Edited by oneula (02/11/19 07:58 PM)

#2912169 - 02/11/19 08:25 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Wait, so the bill flips up?

For reals?

- The Wasp

#2912206 - 02/11/19 09:31 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
pagey Online   content
Grom

Yep. A little velcro patch keeps the bill up until you want to pull it down. I just leave it up.

#2912207 - 02/11/19 09:31 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
000 Offline
Duke status

short hair is good.

#2912409 - 02/12/19 12:20 PM Re: Surf hat recommendation [Re: patrolman]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Ok.... to answer a few comments-

I've been to the MD. I was complaining b=about my shoulder. He referred me to a physical therapist. In the course of my treatment the PT determined the tingling in my hand was from my neck. So, I do have a few neck excercises but they don't seem to help much...my shoulder still hurts too...fvcking getting old sucks...

I don't have a man bun, but I do prefer to keep my hair longer. I'm a child of the 60's and 70's and getting my hair cut back then was like punishment. Also, if it was up to my wife I would look like "Wind in His Hair" from the movie "Dances with Wolves." She likes long hair. In fact maybe that's the answer. Grow it really long so I could just tie it into a pony tail. There's always a certain point when it's intolerable for me though..

In meantime I wear the hood. Maybe it will stay cold all summer.

I am totally vain so maybe the headband suggestion. Or a bandana....with an eye patch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32