REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 250 of 260 1 2 248 249 250 251 252 259 260
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: jkb] #2907064
02/01/19 02:26 AM
02/01/19 02:26 AM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: jkb
Hopefully I figured it out how to make this play.

Caught a fun one on the GMM2 the other day.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/dzSsRNH"><a href="//imgur.com/dzSsRNH"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ripping.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2907070
02/01/19 02:44 AM
02/01/19 02:44 AM
The OC
J
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status
J_D_J  Offline
Michael Peterson status
J

The OC
Good one, jkb.

Deforest, that hydroshort looks very good under your feet based on the pictures you're posting. Seems like a keeper.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: obslop] #2907087
02/01/19 04:15 AM
02/01/19 04:15 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: Oceanslide
Originally Posted By: deforest
Dam JKB! shocked Those are some clean turns! That first bottom turn into that turn is insane!

Check out this little turn I got on the Hydroshort yesterday.

For reference, I'm pretty sure deforest surfed the same general area I did yesterday as I saw him pull up before I paddled out.
The waves seriously sucked, even on a longboard, so for him to generate enough speed on anything
coming in to throw that bucket is noteworthy.
It was pretty crappy. I got lucky on this wave.

Instagram: @deforestcooper
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: J_D_J] #2907088
02/01/19 04:16 AM
02/01/19 04:16 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: J_D_J
Good one, jkb.

Deforest, that hydroshort looks very good under your feet based on the pictures you're posting. Seems like a keeper.
its definitely a keeper. Took a little adjusting from the Cymatic but its sick!!

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2907093
02/01/19 04:34 AM
02/01/19 04:34 AM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
was tuesday now that i think of it; really small. same two dudes out the back were out there.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: obslop] #2907111
02/01/19 05:36 AM
02/01/19 05:36 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: obslop
was tuesday now that i think of it; really small. same two dudes out the back were out there.
yes. Same two dudes on long boards were at the same spot Tuesday and Wednesday. This wave was a left I picked off one of those guys. He went right and I took the left.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest] #2907125
02/01/19 06:48 AM
02/01/19 06:48 AM
Big Asian Island
Z
ZeeHawk Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ZeeHawk  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Z

Big Asian Island
Loving the Hydroshort. It has a wider tail and feels shorter, like the wide point is center. The squash felt like the wide point was forward. Both awesome boards, but the pintail turns on a dime if you get on the tail.

Love that tail. Kind of like a wider Omni tail. I had an Omni and the tail was amazing (tight arcs and hold) but I have big feet so overall it was too narrow. HS could be worth looking into. BTW is yours a HS standard or wide?

Dogs are forever in the pushup position
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2911399
02/10/19 01:00 PM
02/10/19 01:00 PM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Sorry Zee I think my Hydroshort is a wide version. smile

Hey JKB (or anyone that has ridden an El-Tomo), what are your thoughts on the El-Tomo as a quad instead of just a dual fin? I remember we discussed the dual fin not really providing enough fin to push from on a bottom turn. You think adding rear trailer fins would help?

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2911672
02/10/19 11:15 PM
02/10/19 11:15 PM
S
sh3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sh3  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Question: Isn't the El Tomo a twin & wide version of a V4, made for more grovelly (is this a real word?) waves?

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest] #2911913
02/11/19 05:56 PM
02/11/19 05:56 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck

Hey JKB (or anyone that has ridden an El-Tomo), what are your thoughts on the El-Tomo as a quad instead of just a dual fin? I remember we discussed the dual fin not really providing enough fin to push from on a bottom turn. You think adding rear trailer fins would help?

I saw that XTR was offering El Tomo's with a quad set-up as well.

I think I'd probably like it better that way but I'm not really a quad guy either, unless it's barreling.

Sounds intriguing though.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2911917
02/11/19 06:02 PM
02/11/19 06:02 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: sh3
Question: Isn't the El Tomo a twin & wide version of a V4, made for more grovelly (is this a real word?) waves?

This is my understanding. The El Tomo definitely has a lower entry rocker than the V4 and the outline obviously has some adjustments to it, but I still didn't like it in smaller, grovelly conditions. It definitely likes some push and I felt it worked best in chest high waves and up.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Tomo MPH [Re: jkb] #2912030
02/11/19 08:04 PM
02/11/19 08:04 PM
San Diego, CA
O
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Oeste858  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

San Diego, CA
I was intrigued by the El Tomo when it was released, but everything I read/heard made it sound like not a very versatile design and as you describe... only really for certain days at certain spots. And I have other boards I can ride for those conditions. So I resisted the urge. I get the impression that it was perhaps meant to be one of those FirewireJapan-only limited releases, but maybe it was too niche for even that.

I'm still waiting to hear some feedback on an OB1 and how close it surfs to a Cymatic.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Oeste858] #2912255
02/12/19 05:16 AM
02/12/19 05:16 AM
California
D
deforest Offline
Nep status
deforest  Offline
Nep status
D

California
Originally Posted By: jkb

I saw that XTR was offering El Tomo's with a quad set-up as well.

I think I'd probably like it better that way but I'm not really a quad guy either, unless it's barreling.

Sounds intriguing though.
Yeah, I remember you saying how you like that center fin to push off of.

I love quads so I was curious as to your thoughts! I think its a faster setup than a thruster and is a little more loose (although thrusters can loosen up a board as well but in a different way). I thought making the El Tomo as a quad was a great idea. It actually makes me want to revisit that board now. I had your teal el Tomo at the harbor on a mushy day with the Akila Aipa fins and it went incredibly well. It felt really fast and pivoty on flat faced waves. But if you wanted to do a really sharp turn you had to use a lot of rail or the board would slide out. I think a quad set up might solve that problem.

Originally Posted By: Oeste858

I'm still waiting to hear some feedback on an OB1 and how close it surfs to a Cymatic.

OB1 is my next board for sure!!! Maybe a couple months and Ill have some feedback on that one! I personally think its the Vader reborn with channels and a new nose!!

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB] #2914601
02/16/19 11:30 PM
02/16/19 11:30 PM
S
sh3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
sh3  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

A TALE OF THREE TAILS
As told by ne'er do well, ShShSh

V-4 step up, Cybersim fish, Pysko round nose

I dig Tomos shortboards a lot. Freaking love them, myself.

I recently got a Psyko, which is the double wing pin tail version of a V4. Rocker, foil, fin set-up? All the same. Just a different tail.

V-4 tail detail

Psyko tail detail

Cybersim tail detail

So heres what Ive found when comparing my V-4 to my Psyko, and for sh!ts & giggles also comparing those to my Cybersim. Mind you, this is just my experience. Your mileage will probably differ, Im just giving you my 2 cents.

The V-4 has the split twin tip style swallow. It holds much better down the line, and allows you to draw out your carves more. This means it turns slower than the Psyko with that triple wing pin (think long carve versus short slash], so it has a tendency to maintain speed OUT of the turn. This makes the Psyko a much better board for beach breaks and top to bottom grinding waves, whereas the V-4 excel at point breaks and down the line spots. I live in Santa Barbara, the land of point breaks and down the line spots.

The V-4 has a more forgiving feel that I dig. For this old man, its better at closing out waves (floaters, airs, lip hits) because of the wider platform. It just works for me. The Pysko is f-ing fast and quick, incredible for barrels, but Ive turned out of some waves because its such a short/abrupt turning radius for what Im expecting. I've also sunk the tail numerous times on closing maneuvers. #leadfoot Ive used the Psyko 3x now, so its not like ive got scads of experience on the Psyko versus the V-4 design Ive used for years. It has been great at the Pit which is a beach break and at an unnamed barreling spot, but it's totally different than my V4; this admittedly surprised me given how similar the two are.

The Cybersim has a wide fat squash. No channels. Its fast as lightening but with a more relaxed rocker so not as good at late drops or rounder waves. Soft waves? Its like cheating. I love it beyond words. Any kind of soft wave? Unless its so pathetic only a log will work, Im on the Cybersim.

All my boards are 19 wide. The V-4 step up pictured is 30 liters (have a new V-4 round nose coming and CANNOT WAIT FOR IT!), the Psyko is 29 liters, and the Cybersim is 30.5 liters.

Final notes:
1. V-4: Get it for point breaks and down the line waves. Good at barrels & late drops, better at long drawn out carves.
2. Psyko: Get it for beach breaks and rifling fast down the line waves. GREAT at barrels and late drops, better at quick & short radius slashes/lip hits.
3. Cybersim: Get it for everything else under head high.

Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3] #2914855
02/17/19 10:38 PM
02/17/19 10:38 PM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

applause2 cheers Sh3

just out of curiosity, what sort of shapes were you riding before you went Tomo? do you ever get back on more standard shapes?

Last edited by SharkBoy; 02/17/19 10:39 PM.

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Page 250 of 260 1 2 248 249 250 251 252 259 260