REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
Page 250 of 250 < 1 2 ... 248 249 250
View All Topics Index
#2907064 - 01/31/19 09:26 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: jkb]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: jkb
Hopefully I figured it out how to make this play.

Caught a fun one on the GMM2 the other day.

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="a/dzSsRNH"><a href="//imgur.com/dzSsRNH"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ripping.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2907070 - 01/31/19 09:44 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB]
J_D_J Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: The OC
Good one, jkb.

Deforest, that hydroshort looks very good under your feet based on the pictures you're posting. Seems like a keeper.

#2907087 - 01/31/19 11:15 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: obslop]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: Oceanslide
Originally Posted By: deforest
Dam JKB! shocked Those are some clean turns! That first bottom turn into that turn is insane!

Check out this little turn I got on the Hydroshort yesterday.

For reference, I'm pretty sure deforest surfed the same general area I did yesterday as I saw him pull up before I paddled out.
The waves seriously sucked, even on a longboard, so for him to generate enough speed on anything
coming in to throw that bucket is noteworthy.
It was pretty crappy. I got lucky on this wave.

#2907088 - 01/31/19 11:16 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: J_D_J]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: J_D_J
Good one, jkb.

Deforest, that hydroshort looks very good under your feet based on the pictures you're posting. Seems like a keeper.
its definitely a keeper. Took a little adjusting from the Cymatic but its sick!!

#2907093 - 01/31/19 11:34 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB]
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: san diego, CA
was tuesday now that i think of it; really small. same two dudes out the back were out there.
Just a man and his will to survive

#2907111 - 02/01/19 12:36 AM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: obslop]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: obslop
was tuesday now that i think of it; really small. same two dudes out the back were out there.
yes. Same two dudes on long boards were at the same spot Tuesday and Wednesday. This wave was a left I picked off one of those guys. He went right and I took the left.

#2907125 - 02/01/19 01:48 AM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest]
ZeeHawk Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Big Asian Island
Loving the Hydroshort. It has a wider tail and feels shorter, like the wide point is center. The squash felt like the wide point was forward. Both awesome boards, but the pintail turns on a dime if you get on the tail.

Love that tail. Kind of like a wider Omni tail. I had an Omni and the tail was amazing (tight arcs and hold) but I have big feet so overall it was too narrow. HS could be worth looking into. BTW is yours a HS standard or wide?

#2911399 - 02/10/19 08:00 AM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Sorry Zee I think my Hydroshort is a wide version. smile

Hey JKB (or anyone that has ridden an El-Tomo), what are your thoughts on the El-Tomo as a quad instead of just a dual fin? I remember we discussed the dual fin not really providing enough fin to push from on a bottom turn. You think adding rear trailer fins would help?

#2911672 - 02/10/19 06:15 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: VaB]
sh3 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Question: Isn't the El Tomo a twin & wide version of a V4, made for more grovelly (is this a real word?) waves?

#2911913 - 02/11/19 12:56 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: deforest]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck

Hey JKB (or anyone that has ridden an El-Tomo), what are your thoughts on the El-Tomo as a quad instead of just a dual fin? I remember we discussed the dual fin not really providing enough fin to push from on a bottom turn. You think adding rear trailer fins would help?

I saw that XTR was offering El Tomo's with a quad set-up as well.

I think I'd probably like it better that way but I'm not really a quad guy either, unless it's barreling.

Sounds intriguing though.

#2911917 - 02/11/19 01:02 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: sh3]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: sh3
Question: Isn't the El Tomo a twin & wide version of a V4, made for more grovelly (is this a real word?) waves?

This is my understanding. The El Tomo definitely has a lower entry rocker than the V4 and the outline obviously has some adjustments to it, but I still didn't like it in smaller, grovelly conditions. It definitely likes some push and I felt it worked best in chest high waves and up.

#2912030 - 02/11/19 03:04 PM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: jkb]
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: San Diego, CA
I was intrigued by the El Tomo when it was released, but everything I read/heard made it sound like not a very versatile design and as you describe... only really for certain days at certain spots. And I have other boards I can ride for those conditions. So I resisted the urge. I get the impression that it was perhaps meant to be one of those FirewireJapan-only limited releases, but maybe it was too niche for even that.

I'm still waiting to hear some feedback on an OB1 and how close it surfs to a Cymatic.

#2912255 - 02/12/19 12:16 AM Re: Tomo MPH [Re: Oeste858]
deforest Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: jkb

I saw that XTR was offering El Tomo's with a quad set-up as well.

I think I'd probably like it better that way but I'm not really a quad guy either, unless it's barreling.

Sounds intriguing though.
Yeah, I remember you saying how you like that center fin to push off of.

I love quads so I was curious as to your thoughts! I think its a faster setup than a thruster and is a little more loose (although thrusters can loosen up a board as well but in a different way). I thought making the El Tomo as a quad was a great idea. It actually makes me want to revisit that board now. I had your teal el Tomo at the harbor on a mushy day with the Akila Aipa fins and it went incredibly well. It felt really fast and pivoty on flat faced waves. But if you wanted to do a really sharp turn you had to use a lot of rail or the board would slide out. I think a quad set up might solve that problem.

Originally Posted By: Oeste858

I'm still waiting to hear some feedback on an OB1 and how close it surfs to a Cymatic.

OB1 is my next board for sure!!! Maybe a couple months and Ill have some feedback on that one! I personally think its the Vader reborn with channels and a new nose!!

Page 250 of 250 < 1 2 ... 248 249 250