REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SharkBoy] #790850
06/05/12 12:16 PM
06/05/12 12:16 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
B
bjornfree Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
bjornfree  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
B

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
Quote:

i personally couldn't care where the board was made, if american or not. Nor do i savour the scent of 'fresh resin'

But, like oakfoils said, custom boards just work better for me.

The real bummer is how exploited surfing is. Sure we get webcasts, free videos, more info online etc etc, but there is hardly any habitable places left in the world that doesn't get crowded.

I liked the old days of buying a t-shirt to show my support of the local scene, but it's just like music. Most consumers have underdeveloped taste buds and they are the largest market, thus radio/tv is saturated with poop and we are seeing the same thing in surfing. Big brands make stuff that all looks alike, and 7s is under the hands of every happy novice who is treading water in the impact zone when I'm trying to take off.

The lack of respect to the rules, and sense of entitlement bugs me probably the most. Just a really obnoxious attitude. And I've probably attached the surftech/global surf industry rider to that attitude. Therefore, my irritation isn't directed at the products, rather the people that buy them.

I expatriated from the states about 7 year ago to another country that hardly had a surf scene. Now, there are like 6 surf travel agents, websites, camps, magazines, stores and they are all run by people with probably less than 5 years of surfing experience.

When I see their 7d short depth of field high shutter speed Marine Layer rip off vids with significantly worse surfing, I don't know whether or not to laugh or cry




Thanks for that Miki...

With this holier than thow post I suggest you should...

Were you not a floundering kook in the impact zone at one time... Get over yourself!


I've got my new horizons out to sea...
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: bjornfree] #790851
06/06/12 12:59 PM
06/06/12 12:59 PM
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,753
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
**
S

Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 3,753
Quote:

Quote:

i personally couldn't care where the board was made, if american or not. Nor do i savour the scent of 'fresh resin'

But, like oakfoils said, custom boards just work better for me.

The real bummer is how exploited surfing is. Sure we get webcasts, free videos, more info online etc etc, but there is hardly any habitable places left in the world that doesn't get crowded.

I liked the old days of buying a t-shirt to show my support of the local scene, but it's just like music. Most consumers have underdeveloped taste buds and they are the largest market, thus radio/tv is saturated with poop and we are seeing the same thing in surfing. Big brands make stuff that all looks alike, and 7s is under the hands of every happy novice who is treading water in the impact zone when I'm trying to take off.

The lack of respect to the rules, and sense of entitlement bugs me probably the most. Just a really obnoxious attitude. And I've probably attached the surftech/global surf industry rider to that attitude. Therefore, my irritation isn't directed at the products, rather the people that buy them.

I expatriated from the states about 7 year ago to another country that hardly had a surf scene. Now, there are like 6 surf travel agents, websites, camps, magazines, stores and they are all run by people with probably less than 5 years of surfing experience.

When I see their 7d short depth of field high shutter speed Marine Layer rip off vids with significantly worse surfing, I don't know whether or not to laugh or cry




Thanks for that Miki...

With this holier than thow post I suggest you should...

Were you not a floundering kook in the impact zone at one time... Get over yourself!




I didn't think I wrote with the tone that you perceived as holier than thou. I thought of it as more of an observation, which I don't think is untrue.
but that's cool, resort to name calling of someone you've never met before


Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SharkBoy] #790852
06/06/12 04:02 PM
06/06/12 04:02 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
B
bjornfree Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
bjornfree  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
B

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
Quote:


I didn't think I wrote with the tone that you perceived as holier than thou. I thought of it as more of an observation, which I don't think is untrue.
but that's cool, resort to name calling of someone you've never met before




Sorry Sharkboy, the lumping everyone on a 7S as a floundering novice with a sense of intitlement is what I have a problem with. I've surfed longer than you've been alive and yes I have a 7S superfish II which is a great board. I have customs also and not a big ST fan but I love the new version of the Superfish. It's a solid Poly and my favorite go to board. Like I said it's more of the sterotyping anyone with a GSI SF as a kook was the issue. Most folks that have never ridden one sure like to bash them. I'm sure I'll hear about it but that's OK...sorry again, you seem like a good guy, Brad


I've got my new horizons out to sea...
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: bjornfree] #790853
06/06/12 04:17 PM
06/06/12 04:17 PM
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,005
The OC Life
H
Havoc Offline
Tom Curren status
Havoc  Offline
Tom Curren status
**
H

Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 10,005
The OC Life
Quote:

and yes I have a 7S superfish II which is a great board.






"motions of rippage is initated by the hind leg"-Northern_Shores
"Lemme know. I got endson gas"-20W
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: Havoc] #790854
06/06/12 04:31 PM
06/06/12 04:31 PM
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 986
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
**
S

Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 986
Norf Cackalacka
Quote:

Quote:

and yes I have a 7S superfish II which is a great board.









7S.... really .... the emotions that I go through when I see one ....

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: surfwhere] #790855
06/06/12 06:09 PM
06/06/12 06:09 PM
Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,631
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
***
R

Joined: Jan 2006
Posts: 3,631
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I've heard bath salts will do that to you.
I can imagine Surfwhere paddling up to a hapless 7S rider and starting to gnaw on his ankle


Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: surfwhere] #790856
06/06/12 08:24 PM
06/06/12 08:24 PM
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,671
K
kellsmith Offline
Miki Dora status
kellsmith  Offline
Miki Dora status
***
K

Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4,671
that sequence made me crack up


The glide shall not be truncated shameonyou
- roy
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: surfwhere] #790857
06/06/12 09:55 PM
06/06/12 09:55 PM
Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
B
bjornfree Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
bjornfree  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
**
B

Joined: May 2011
Posts: 475
Quote:



7S.... really .... the emotions that I go through when I see one ....





It riles you to believe that I perceive the web you weave...from North Cakalaki you should know better. You do win thee "ONE HIP CAT AWARD" for your clever use of the icons.



7S superfish II rules suckkkaaas!



I've got my new horizons out to sea...
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #2911957
02/11/19 06:43 PM
02/11/19 06:43 PM
Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
J
JUtah Offline
Grom
JUtah  Offline
Grom
J

Joined: Jul 2018
Posts: 6
Originally Posted By: SLOsurfer
You know what I think is funny? When surftech paints stringers on their boards. The JC line does it, and I think the CI line does it...so funny.

It's like they KNOW surfers aren't fond of surftechs.

"Hey, Shane, do you think our customers might ride these if we paint stringers on them? That way they won't be so embarrassed to be seen in the water on one." - JC

"Oh, crap, they'll see me with a surftech. Good thing I have this painted-on stringer." - surftech owner

It's like camoflauge.





<img src="/forum/images/graemlins/socrazy.gif" alt="" />



I own a Surftech Soft-top. The reason I bought it is because these boards were the easiest to ride when I was learning in Costa Rica. They even allowed me to catch an overhead green face at the break, without worrying about injuring myself.

The purpose of the painted stringer, and other markings/inlays, is so beginners know where to stand on the board.

If/when I get better, I'll probably want a board custom-built for me. As a kook/beginner, this is a good board for me. Durable, forgiving, relatively safe.

I can understand experienced surfers not liking kooks/beginners in the water, especially on preferred breaks. But wasn't everyone a kook/beginner at some point? And don't we want them learning as quickly as possible if they're going to be out in the water?

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #2911984
02/11/19 07:11 PM
02/11/19 07:11 PM
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 690
C
cdes Offline
Nep status
cdes  Offline
Nep status
**
C

Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 690
Nope, we want it to be difficult and soul crushing so that only the most persistent and battle hardened prevail. Same reason we're not down with boogers. Only half joking.

Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: SLOsurfer] #2912389
02/12/19 04:48 PM
02/12/19 04:48 PM
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,958
N
Northern_Shores Offline
Michael Peterson status
Northern_Shores  Offline
Michael Peterson status
**
N

Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,958
I only ride pop-outs/non-poly boards.

The first Surftech are the best boards ever, though I have never owned one. Will buy one if I come across a model I like. I have a 10 year old surftech TL2 though. It doesn't have any pressure dents still. I messed the board up myslef by running it over with studded tires etc, but it's still great.

My other board is a Greg Webber China special smile Just bought it and it's great.
Got a used Coil yesterday for $200 and it looks like a souped-up popout to me. Probably a good board.

You haters will never see me on a poly. Broke my last one before xmas and I'm not ever getting that crap again.


"the quad setup hinders performance." - Havoc
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: Northern_Shores] #2912481
02/12/19 06:41 PM
02/12/19 06:41 PM
Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,225
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
**
J

Joined: Feb 2005
Posts: 6,225
Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: Northern_Shores
I only ride pop-outs/non-poly boards.

The first Surftech are the best boards ever, though I have never owned one. Will buy one if I come across a model I like. I have a 10 year old surftech TL2 though. It doesn't have any pressure dents still. I messed the board up myslef by running it over with studded tires etc, but it's still great.

My other board is a Greg Webber China special smile Just bought it and it's great.
Got a used Coil yesterday for $200 and it looks like a souped-up popout to me. Probably a good board.

You haters will never see me on a poly. Broke my last one before xmas and I'm not ever getting that crap again.


What will you be shaping your masterpieces out of?


Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Why Everyone Hates Surftech, and Pop-outs in General [Re: kellsmith] #2912543
02/12/19 07:56 PM
02/12/19 07:56 PM
Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,652
C
chrisp510 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
chrisp510  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
**
C

Joined: Dec 2008
Posts: 1,652
Originally Posted By: kellsmith
Quote:
Quote:
supporting arguement? i think he was off on a lot of his comments regarding non-pop-out epoxy construction but way more of his essay was spot on, imo. to be fair it was written a number of years ago and didnt mention epoxy glassed pu's at all.


always had a negative and condescending view of the surfing world, especially the shortboard shapers and designs. then goes on to go full bore S.U.P. popouts from china <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/foreheadslap.gif" alt="" /> guy's the definition of hypocrite

if that is true, wow. i spent like half hour reading his letter and agreeing with it. if he really does endorse china sups now ummm <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/socrazy.gif" alt="" /> <img src="/forum/images/graemlins/banghead.gif" alt="" />


Yep.
Total hypocrite

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9