REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 168 of 169 1 2 166 167 168 169
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto] #2904729
01/28/19 03:19 AM
01/28/19 03:19 AM
C
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto Offline
Michael Peterson status
Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Originally Posted By: Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto
Originally Posted By: Shorepoint
Hey Cheeto. Are you using the Custom Pros (with the donut seal) or the Customs (with a regular fused-edge cuff)? The Custom Pro let's in less water from flushes with the donut seal. The Custom will let in more since the cuff isn't as tight (but the boot is easier to put on). If you think there is a leak, fill the boots with water and squeeze at the cuff. See if any water or air bubbles are leaking out anywhere. If so hit that spot with a dab of neoprene cement to seal it. Shoot me an e-mail at: jamie@soliteboots.com if you have any questions. Good idea on the hiking. These boots are made for sensitivity on the board, so if you have to do a lot of hiking, best to hike in something else if you want to make the soles last as long as possible.

Custom Pros. I think the left boot has a leak right around the ball of the foot, where the green grip patch meets the bottom rubber. It hasn't been bad enough for me to bother fixing it - they're still plenty warm and let in as much water as any other boot seems to. Also, the boots are a lot better for hiking now that they have some scuffs and wax on the bottom - no more slipping problems. It was just that first session.

I also bit the bullet and bought a custom 7till8 suit this year. It's pretty sweet and I will be buying another one. Fit is perfect, after one alteration, and the whole process was fairly quick. The 4/3 I got is a great beachbreak suit but isn't quite warm enough with a lot of sitting or a ton of wind. The last two days with 53-54 degree water have left me cold after 2-3+ hour sessions, especially today in the long lulls. I'm going to order a 5/4 for some of our colder water breaks up here, especially for spring/summer where the water will hit the high 40s. I am finding myself more susceptible to cold in general lately; I think if I had bought this suit 2 or 3 years ago I might be perfectly comfortable in it down to 50 or so.

Updates on both products.

SOLITE: My first pair of Solite boots broke after a winter of use: the attachment points that the strap connect to frayed, and one snapped. Jamie at Solite took care of me, and the new version of the Custom Pros have redesigned attachment points. This is very unlikely to be a problem in the future. These are the best booties I have ever worn, and I will continue to buy them for cold water needs.

7till8: Durability is disappointing. My 4/3 is leaky and the seams are failing after a year of mild use. The 5/4 is still fine, although the seam on the key pocket looks like it's failing after ~9 months. At the price point, I would think twice about buying another, although the custom fit probably makes it worthwhile.

all i ever wanted in life was a consistent 6-10 foot righthand barrel
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Ch-ch-ch-cheeeeeto] #2904860
01/28/19 05:17 PM
01/28/19 05:17 PM
Del Mar, CA
S
sdhobbs Offline
Grom
sdhobbs  Offline
Grom
S

Del Mar, CA
I picked up a Matuse Scipio 3mm backzip during their Black Friday sale. Expensive suit, even on sale, but I was tired of being cold and my buddy recommended. 1st time trying out their suits, I've always worn O'neill due to their fit. I've had several high end 3/2 O'neills and i've always been cold, plus they don't last. This Matuse suit is in a different league, warmer, lighter, better fit, no flushing, pretty much all of their marketing sales pitch about the suit i've found to be true. The geoprene material doesn't absorb water, suit is just as light wet as it is dry vs my O'neills which are noticeably heavier when wet.
Highlights for me are:
geoprene material - warm, silky, light, stretchy
neck gasket - neck area is a thinner material that creates a great seal, no flushing
inner lining - torso area is lined with smoothie material, feels buttery, blocks wind, retains body heat

Last edited by sdhobbs; 01/28/19 05:38 PM.
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: sdhobbs] #2905696
01/30/19 03:53 AM
01/30/19 03:53 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
7till8 is having a moving sale. Got this in my email.

We're moving to new offices next month.
Our entire Ready Made collection will be on sale for an epic price.

- $100 for 3/2mm Fullsuit
- $105 for 4/3mm Fullsuit

Saturday
February 9th
12:00pm- 5:00 pm

14710 S. Maple Ave
Gardena, CA 90248

All sale prices only valid for in-person sales on 2/9.
First Come First Serve. Final Sale.

Our Ready-Made Wetsuits are made with our Boost material and include free seam repair.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: sdhobbs] #2905929
01/30/19 04:53 PM
01/30/19 04:53 PM
San Diego, CA
O
Oeste858 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Oeste858  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: sdhobbs
This Matuse suit is in a different league, warmer, lighter, better fit, no flushing, pretty much all of their marketing sales pitch about the suit i've found to be true.

Good to hear. I see so many of them around San Diego, and always wondered what the hype was about for such a premium price. I got a Dante 2mm s/s full on their Black Friday sale too and was impressed by the construction, but only got a chance to wear it once before the water got too cold. Looking forward to testing it out this spring.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2911073
02/09/19 06:20 AM
02/09/19 06:20 AM
M
maybe Offline
Nep status
maybe  Offline
Nep status
M

How are the wetsuits from Joel Tudor's new company... "Moon Wetsuits" ??

https://moonwetsuits.com/product/full-2/

"MOON FULLSUITS
$680.00

Designed by Joel Tudor in California. Made in Japan with proudly with Premium Japanese rubber."

Good lord... guessing his Vans contract and his man-humping studio in Solana Beach aren't paying enough to raise a family in Del Mar. Gonna pass on this one. All the best dude.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: maybe] #2911081
02/09/19 07:23 AM
02/09/19 07:23 AM
B
Bman76 Offline
Nep status
Bman76  Offline
Nep status
B

Originally Posted By: maybe

"MOON FULLSUITS
$680.00

Designed by Joel Tudor in California. Made in Japan with proudly with Premium Japanese rubber."

Good lord... guessing his Vans contract and his man-humping studio in Solana Beach aren't paying enough to raise a family in Del Mar. Gonna pass on this one. All the best dude.

How are the wetsuits? Surly. Self entitled. Keen to criticise better surfers and shapers on instagram. Really enjoy being pissed in.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: Bman76] #2911094
02/09/19 10:15 AM
02/09/19 10:15 AM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Originally Posted By: Bman76
Originally Posted By: maybe

"MOON FULLSUITS
$680.00

How are the wetsuits? Surly. Self entitled. Keen to criticise better surfers and shapers on instagram. Really enjoy being pissed in.

Could be the only wetsuit you've ever owned that you take it off and then piss on it! Take that Tudor!

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2911347
02/10/19 03:31 AM
02/10/19 03:31 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
So I went to 7till8's moving sale today. $100 for a 3/2. $105 for a 4/3. I already have a 4/3 but it's my only suit right now. The readymade collection is standard neoprene though, not yamamoto.

I'm 6'1" and 185#. Needessentials size L is slightly to short on my arms and legs but fits good everywhere else. Xcel LT is slightly to long in the upper torso, but fits well everywhere else.

The suit's seem well made, but 7till8's cut is weird. My buddy told me while I was driving there. I saw it in a review and I heard other guys who were trying on suits today say the same thing. There's extra space in the crotch. The wetsuit's sag a bit. I wonder if that panel between your legs is cut bigger than other brands. I tried on the LT and it was a definite no go. Way to baggy in the butt and between legs. The L was acceptable for the price, but still a weird cut. I'm wondering if it's partly because the thighs are cut tight so you can't pull the wetsuit all the way up when it's brand new and you're trying it on dry in a warehouse. Trying on a 2 MM short sleeve I made sure to pull it inside out and get it all the way up my legs. It seemed to be a bit better. I'll update this when I get them in the water in a few months. I walked out with a 3/2 full, 2 mm short arm full and a pullover jacket.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2911481
02/10/19 06:00 PM
02/10/19 06:00 PM
S
shitbird Offline
Grom
shitbird  Offline
Grom
S

I also bought one. 3/2 chest zip. Thanks for the tip Hdip. I've got one session in with it. I would agree with it being cut weird. Lots of space in the crotch and the suit bunches up under my armpits a little bit. Tight in the thighs and legs but I kind of like that. Also the suit feels well sealed around the neck, although in my opinion the zipper feels a little chunky when taking the suit on and off. I am 5'10" x 150 lbs and bought a medium. Also tried the back zip and did not like how it fit at all. Felt like it was strangling me.

For reference, my last three suits have been a Feral 3/2, and two Xcel Drylocks. I felt like both of those suits fit much better, but for $100 bucks the 7till8 is great. Fairly warm but nothing special. My only real beef with the suit is the strange cut.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2911867
02/11/19 04:00 PM
02/11/19 04:00 PM
S. Redondo
C
ChaseTMP Offline
Grom
ChaseTMP  Offline
Grom
C

S. Redondo
I was kicking myself for not going to the 7till8 sale, thinking they were Yamamoto's material for $100 - $105. Hearing that they weren't makes me feel a bit better. Still a good deal though. I work not to far from their Gardena location, but just couldn't get motivated to drive 10 miles inland for the 6th day in row.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2911914
02/11/19 05:58 PM
02/11/19 05:58 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

I wished I had a hood on yesterday. It was windy in the afternoon in SF. Not exceptionally cold, though

Considering a new hooded 4/3. The only hooded suit I have is an older 5/4/3 Body Glove Prime and it's pretty restrictive.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: MrDobalina] #2911951
02/11/19 06:39 PM
02/11/19 06:39 PM
N
nightfly Offline
Michael Peterson status
nightfly  Offline
Michael Peterson status
N

Xcel Drylock 4/3 hooded is a great suit.

Best wetsuit purchase I've ever made. Much less restrictive than a 5/4 but provides pretty good warmth until the water temps get below 50.

I've worn mine on cold fall days where the water temp is still in the 60s but the air temp is in the 30s with a stiff north wind, down to more regular late fall days with water temps in the high 40s and air temps about the same. I will wear mine as long as I can into the winter and take it out as soon as it's feasible in the spring.

Originally Posted By: MrDobalina
I wished I had a hood on yesterday. It was windy in the afternoon in SF. Not exceptionally cold, though

Considering a new hooded 4/3. The only hooded suit I have is an older 5/4/3 Body Glove Prime and it's pretty restrictive.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2925553
03/09/19 08:06 PM
03/09/19 08:06 PM
Innzid
M
Maz Offline
Gerry Lopez status
Maz  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
M

Innzid
Finally got a good 3/2.

Xcel Infiniti TDC. My previous Xcels have been a 4/3 Drylock; very warm, but loose neck flushed like crazy.
Axis 3/2, which was flimsy and cold.

This one fits so well. I'm 6'1 x 175 and got an MT. Perfect.

Feels warm and snug. Very happy so far.

Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2927263
03/13/19 08:51 PM
03/13/19 08:51 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Has anyone checked Adelio?

The pics of the interior liner make them look like they are similar to the older Patagonia's, but I don't know.

Adelio 4/3

Last edited by MrDobalina; 03/13/19 08:52 PM.
Re: The Great Unbiased Wetsuit Review Thread [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2933429
03/25/19 05:35 PM
03/25/19 05:35 PM
C
cdes Offline
Nep status
cdes  Offline
Nep status
C

Got an Isurus Shield 2.2 this weekend for 30% off. Ive been wearing Matuse wetsuits for a while. I kept picking up vintage models on the cheap, so I had a few of them in rotation and the latest model was around 2013. Anyway Ive only had 2 surfs on the Isurus so its hard to say how long it will hold up, but so far it feels pretty damn great. A little snug putting it on, but not restrictive at all once there. The shoulders in particular feel nice and free.

Page 168 of 169 1 2 166 167 168 169