REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
in the news #2911709
02/11/19 12:43 AM
02/11/19 12:43 AM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Oneula made the news yesterday. again for all the wrong reasons

Oneula

Our families built beach houses on the stake of land going back to the 1930's, Then Campbell Estate sold out to Haseko and being leasehold land we all got kicked out, If the families had been allowed to stay and places like the Lions and Del Monte Cannery were allow to keep their employee parks, I don't think allot of the desecration would have been allowed. Just like when the military abandoned Barber's Point to the state and what's become of that pristine piece of land.

The main people complaining are those who moved in to their million dollar oceanpoint properties fronting that piece of beach.

I was blessed to have grown up here when this place was a slow moving sugarcane town at the end of a long spooky drive. Where we all knew each other from one thing or another be it school or sports.And people took pride in where they live and how they live.

Pretty much all gone these days

Funny how "Ewa Beach" used to be after you passed the sign welcoming you to it where as its now pretty much from Renton Road to Kapolei. Used to be Ewa then Ewa Beach then Puuloa the further you went down the two lane road called FT Weaver. Now no one knows what those places mean and their purpose.

waSUPcuz? shaka ala n da mooleh bulls..
Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2911773
02/11/19 03:37 AM
02/11/19 03:37 AM
Los Angeles, CA
J
Jeepnkal Offline
Grom
Jeepnkal  Offline
Grom
J

Los Angeles, CA
I grew up in Ewa Beach, went to Ilima intermediate and Campbell HS. My family still live in the house i grew up in.

As far as i am concerned there have always been people living at Hau Bush. And i dont mean a surfer living in a van, im talking families with small children. Me and my friends would surf and fish from Ewa Beach park to Lots, all the way up to Hau Bush, but one thing we knew was to leave when it got dark. Lots of people would go there to do drugs and drink when the sun went down. I always felt bad for the families that lived there because they had to put up with that stuff all night.

When i was in middle school my friends dad lost his job, then loss their rental house and they had to move into a tent on the beach. After two weeks my parents had my friend and his sister move in with us because it wasnt safe for them there and it was a long way to school. After a couple of years their mom got back on her feet and was able to get a place in Waipahu and they eventually moved in with her.

The good 'ol days.

Last edited by Jeepnkal; 02/11/19 03:38 AM.
Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2911777
02/11/19 04:01 AM
02/11/19 04:01 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Learned to surf at Haubush in the 90's and yeah I can remember homeless there even back then. Also, yes, you bailed at sunset cause some shady characters would start to show up. Bummer cause I have fond memories of surfing there on glassy days or North winds. Waves can be very fun.

Re: in the news [Re: Jeepnkal] #2911779
02/11/19 04:04 AM
02/11/19 04:04 AM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Originally Posted By: Jeepnkal
I grew up in Ewa Beach, went to Ilima intermediate and Campbell HS. My family still live in the house i grew up in.

As far as i am concerned there have always been people living at Hau Bush. And i dont mean a surfer living in a van, im talking families with small children. Me and my friends would surf and fish from Ewa Beach park to Lots, all the way up to Hau Bush, but one thing we knew was to leave when it got dark. Lots of people would go there to do drugs and drink when the sun went down. I always felt bad for the families that lived there because they had to put up with that stuff all night.

When i was in middle school my friends dad lost his job, then loss their rental house and they had to move into a tent on the beach. After two weeks my parents had my friend and his sister move in with us because it wasnt safe for them there and it was a long way to school. After a couple of years their mom got back on her feet and was able to get a place in Waipahu and they eventually moved in with her.

The good 'ol days.

so you know about all the houses that used to be there on both sides at the beginning of the old dirt road, The baseball park where the real "haubush" used to grow, the campgrounds and Ewa Brand chicken farm after that. Those were all family, friends and classmates we grew up at. First real job was shoveling chicken poop from under the hen houses and mixing it with baugass from the sugar mill to make fertilizer for the families. One of my first shapers lived in a quonson hut across my grand uncle's beach house (the red one fronting SC). If you lived there you pobably knew my calabash uncle Ted and Joey's house the last one that eventually had to go.

They burnt down and bulldozed everything flat after they sold to a soon to be bankrupt Haseko which gave way for the various encampments for decades. The "haubush" of today was nothing but grassy sand dunes with hidden pillboxes from WW2 called "sandtracks" back then and pretty much the worst place to surf on the whole coast. Now its the "beach" we all are left with to "enjoy".

There's allot of history there its sad that only the bad ever makes the news.

I still surf there when I can (little these days because of poor health)
and as bad as it got
it was always home and there are always friends I can see and share the surf with
sitting in the lineup and looking out towards diamondhead and the madness of the high rises I always felt blessed to have grown up there no matter how bad the surf the constant 20mph sideshore and the sharks.

its home and will always be home to me till the end

Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2911784
02/11/19 04:32 AM
02/11/19 04:32 AM
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Good late afternoon Oneula!
I dig reading of yours, all thee other old timer stories too
that most will never hear of, so keep on keepin' on, sharing too!!!

Never went to your beach, so it's bitchin' to read of it.
1st time I ever went to thee North Shore, I was 16. '78/79. 1 single fin board.
Foodland was not there yet, a local family there still had a lil' front yard garden.
Would catch thee bus to Haleiwa to go cash my poor~boy travelers checks at IGA, so wanted
some Pizza Bobs, but it was PB+J, usually. You could buy alcohol if aged 18. I would walk from where
I stayed at a friend of my Mom's friends pad across from Rubber Duckies/3 Tables to where~ever,
surf, walk back, eat, do it again, for a month, this young white~boy, was stocked to not be sitting
in class at Venice High School, and instead respectfully ride waves in your home~land back then!
Funny how the surf mags would beee~itch about the NS crowds then, hahaha...
Like I asked, please, you who are Thee Elders, keep your local stories comin',
we won't be here for~ever. Nor might National Enquirers erBB!
F**k!!!
wave2
jam_on

PS ~ Speaking of Hawaii:

Any new news?

Quote:

This rapidly intensifying, fast-moving storm will likely generate waves reaching 40 to 60 feet, which could come very near the Hawaiian Islands -- especially the northern shores.

The National Weather Service in Honolulu says these waves could cause unprecedented coastal flooding to north and west facing shores late Saturday and Sunday. ~snip~

Unprecedented? Yikes...
Link: Hawaii braces for storm that could bring waves up to 60 feet

Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2911819
02/11/19 11:39 AM
02/11/19 11:39 AM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
Big shot of Craig Inouye at the begining .

His Management put Russ K. Makaha out of business .

4 World Championships , largest Japan order in Hawaii - never filled , saying you only give them so much socrazy etc .

Re: in the news [Re: RWVBWL] #2911835
02/11/19 01:37 PM
02/11/19 01:37 PM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Originally Posted By: RWVBWL
Good late afternoon Oneula!
I dig reading of yours, all thee other old timer stories too
that most will never hear of, so keep on keepin' on, sharing too!!!

Never went to your beach, so it's bitchin' to read of it.
1st time I ever went to thee North Shore, I was 16. '78/79. 1 single fin board.
Foodland was not there yet, a local family there still had a lil' front yard garden.
Would catch thee bus to Haleiwa to go cash my poor~boy travelers checks at IGA, so wanted
some Pizza Bobs, but it was PB+J, usually. You could buy alcohol if aged 18. I would walk from where
I stayed at a friend of my Mom's friends pad across from Rubber Duckies/3 Tables to where~ever,
surf, walk back, eat, do it again, for a month, this young white~boy, was stocked to not be sitting
in class at Venice High School, and instead respectfully ride waves in your home~land back then!
Funny how the surf mags would beee~itch about the NS crowds then, hahaha...
Like I asked, please, you who are Thee Elders, keep your local stories comin',
we won't be here for~ever. Nor might National Enquirers erBB!
F**k!!!
wave2
jam_on

PS ~ Speaking of Hawaii:
<iframe src="https://abcnews.go.com/video/embed?id=60964439" width="640" height="360" scrolling="no" style="border:none;" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Any new news?

Quote:

This rapidly intensifying, fast-moving storm will likely generate waves reaching 40 to 60 feet, which could come very near the Hawaiian Islands -- especially the northern shores.

The National Weather Service in Honolulu says these waves could cause unprecedented coastal flooding to north and west facing shores late Saturday and Sunday. ~snip~

Unprecedented? Yikes...
Link: Hawaii braces for storm that could bring waves up to 60 feet

Yup
I had the benefit of surfing country at the start of the mess
surfed northshore pretty hard almost every weekend driving up from ewa beach from 71-73 while in school and then shipped off to Seattle in 74 for a 15 year stint away from surfing and the mess it became. That was a trip during the gas crisis.

We used to camp over the weekend in the bushes at puena park and the bushes from kammieland and kammie's market
surf from dawn to dark. Saw all the characters from mean old butch at pipe to "da mayor" earl dahlin at alii.

By time I came back in 1990 it was a different world including my own home town.
when the types of drugs changed from pakalolo and hashish to meth and crack everything went downhill and we became one of the crime hometowns of oahu. Cops used to park just at the entrance of the town and catch all the car thieves coming home with their new 5-finger reward. They used to do sweeps every now and then and have to bring in buses to haul everyone to jail.

Still it's home
There's still tons of good people here that you never read about

Just saw a classmate in the latest edition of Honolulu Magazine, He's Kekoa Bacalso's father and the oldest tenured worker at the post office's main terminal annex. His family lived two blocks from the beach on Papipi and they were all great surfers back in the day.

Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2911879
02/11/19 04:50 PM
02/11/19 04:50 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida
My friend Kelly Main
He made boards with Tiger at this house up Pupukea in 1970

I started coming to Hawaii in 1963 , Kauai and Oahu

Seen a few changes

These Kaiser Jeeps were the main rental in the early 60's

Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2911901
02/11/19 05:43 PM
02/11/19 05:43 PM
O
oneula Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
oneula  Offline OP
Michael Peterson status
O

Tiger, BK and Terry Fitz were my surf hero's back then this was about sunset, lani's and big drivey turns off the bottom.
some of my friends mimic'd the casual gerry/rory head flick limp wrist cool style and some the reno/bertlemann okole sitting on the board low center of gravity style. some even idolized jock's switch stance style like my brother did.

for me it was always about the late J bottom turn and going as fast and far as you could style be dammed.
probably ruined in my surfing for the long term especially after the trifin/thruster came about and the staged turn and pumping versus full rail carving became the norm

when all you had was a thick highly profiled single fin you really had to work your board with your footwork moving forward and back to generate momentum. Ben's sting and the thruster that followed allowed surfers to just stay on the tail and work the board from there to generate speed kind of like cheating.
I always believed that the best training was learning to manhandle a big and heavy 10-11 footer tanker to really try and hotdog it to build up your leg and core muscles so that when you moved down to your high performance potato ship it felt like a potato chip you could throw around. We used to use our uncle's beach boy boards which were built for guys 250-300 and in their 40s-50s. Kind of like surfing country allot and then surfing anywhere on the south shore it feels like you are playing versus surviving.

But that's the past
all you can do is reminice
it's all pau now
different times, different culture

Last edited by oneula; 02/11/19 05:44 PM.

Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2912073
02/11/19 09:13 PM
02/11/19 09:13 PM
O
OBSurvivor Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
OBSurvivor  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

Last edited by OBSurvivor; 02/12/19 01:13 AM.
Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2912080
02/11/19 09:38 PM
02/11/19 09:38 PM
O
OBSurvivor Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
OBSurvivor  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
O

Originally Posted By: oneula

But that's the past
all you can do is reminice
it's all pau now
different times, different culture

This quote so heavy . Major feels shaka

Re: in the news [Re: oneula] #2912136
02/12/19 12:09 AM
02/12/19 12:09 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Offline
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
Always dig your posts Oneula. Thanks for sharing.

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32