REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2911458 - 02/10/19 11:58 AM Foil Board Reviews
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
Whatcha think?

Edited by Kaser1 (02/10/19 12:06 PM)

#2911462 - 02/10/19 12:05 PM Re: 2019 Slingshot High Roller [Re: Kaser1]
Kaser1 Offline

Edited by Kaser1 (02/10/19 12:06 PM)

#2911470 - 02/10/19 12:14 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Kaser1]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
Originally Posted By: Kaser1
Whatcha think?

#2911512 - 02/10/19 01:56 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Kaser1]
juandesooka Offline
Grom

The board looks pretty good, I bet it would ride great!

I am thinking of a DIY project and a basic surf foil looks about as simple as board building gets. I wonder how much performance comes from the tricky design features here: concave in the chines, double concave in the nose, the deep concave in the deck, step tail. EG versus the westcoastfoilclub type boards, which appear to be pretty simple straight lines, at least ogling the instagram posts. Thinking of the fishing lure companies: where most of the new designs each year are designed to catch fishermen more than about catching fish. ;-)

#2911528 - 02/10/19 02:09 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: juandesooka]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
The one thing I'd change about my WCFC board is I wish it had a wide squash tail instead of a round tail. Flat bottom, beveled rails, thick tail. Not much needed in these boards. Getting the bottom flat so that the mast comes off exactly perpendicular is probably the hardest part.

#2911537 - 02/10/19 02:35 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Hdip]
Kaser1 Offline

I can see the beveled rail and tail go away eventually. i think we'll see boards come back down to surface for spraying turns and foam banks. i've seen some first hand and online. this is the part of foiling that surfers miss i think. shrug

#2911539 - 02/10/19 02:39 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Kaser1]
Kaser1 Offline

#2911594 - 02/10/19 04:00 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Kaser1]
sozzle Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Originally Posted By: Kaser1

i was watching his vids earlier, interesting to see him on a 5'0" and shredding that hard, is the extra length a compromise to help catch unbroken swells paddling?

goes against the grain of the ultra ultra short trend?

#2911759 - 02/10/19 09:57 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Kaser1]
gregfoil Offline
Grom

I think board is a little bit underestimate, I think the key points are : weight and stiffness.
We are not just riding the foil, the board even up flying plays a huge role. We are connected to the foil with the mast and the mast is connected to the board.
I like the bevels, it makes the bord more forviven.

I would say also it is good to go custom, boards are small and easy to make. Some production boards can be good especially with a good construction but I like to go custom and work with locals.

I have my boards made by Brawner (shaper form San Clemente) it is actually my own files (shape3D)
He glass my boards super light and stiff yet strong/durable, and it makes a big difference regarding performance.
My 4'3 x 19.5, 34L is under 6Ibs with pads (kick and front). I hope to get it even lighter on the next one.
My sup is 6' x 26, 112L is 14.5Ibs with pads and front strap.

Surf foiling I like to 4'3 but I also like to ride longer board for bigger wave and waves that don't break, even during the turns you have a nice feeling with a longer board.

#2911790 - 02/10/19 11:44 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: gregfoil]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Nar
Originally Posted By: gregfoil
I think board is a little bit underestimate, I think the key points are : weight and stiffness.

We are not just riding the foil, the board even up flying plays a huge role. We are connected to the foil with the mast and the mast is connected to the board.

I totally agree. The inertia of the board is an enormous influence no matter what you are doing on the foil. The weight that is helpful for taming the beast when youre learning soon becomes a hinderance.. Im also aiming for 6lb or less @ 44

Also, concave deck....I wont go without it. I have a 40 with a rolled deck, little heavier than Id like. On top of not catching waves as easily it rolls around and causes a delay in turns as well as sucking energy when I pump. Concave decks just feel so much better

#2912001 - 02/11/19 02:24 PM Re: Foil Board Reviews [Re: Clamsmasha]
gregfoil Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Clamsmasha
Originally Posted By: gregfoil

I totally agree. The inertia of the board is an enormous influence no matter what you are doing on the foil. The weight that is helpful for taming the beast when youre learning soon becomes a hinderance.. Im also aiming for 6lb or less @ 44

Also, concave deck....I wont go without it. I have a 40 with a rolled deck, little heavier than Id like. On top of not catching waves as easily it rolls around and causes a delay in turns as well as sucking energy when I pump. Concave decks just feel so much better

Agree, my next two board (surf 4'3 and sup 5'11) have concave deck, it make the board stiffer and it is more comfortable/stable. I should get it next week !

Edited by gregfoil (02/11/19 02:25 PM)