REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: mundus] #2911011
02/09/19 12:54 AM
02/09/19 12:54 AM
In Gods Country
C
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status
CharmingSophisticate  Offline
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Originally Posted By: mundus
Originally Posted By: BillyOcean
Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Where does it say no more cars and no more heaters?

So I take it you’re a GND aficionado

100% renewable fuel ( no nukes!) in 12 yrs

How do you do dat without taking everyone’s cars?

Most people buy a car every 10 yrs

You won’t replace the fleet w/o confiscation

Heat: renewables have blackouts

Tell people in Chicago when it’s -20 that there’s no heat that day because the wind dn’t blow and the sun dn’t shiiiine

The blues songs write themselves
Billy clutching the pearls then wetting the bed.
Devastating.

"...now tell me that wasn't fun!" Capt. Jack Aubrey
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: GDaddy] #2911018
02/09/19 01:16 AM
02/09/19 01:16 AM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
The 17% indicates to people who are highly motivated on the subject, which will obviously be a smaller subset of the people who take the "97% concensus" at their word.

I think it would be an interesting question to ask people if they'd be willing to pay $6/gallon for gas if it would reduce our exposure to climate change by, let's say, 20%. Not that paying $6/gallon would do anything of the sort, but just the act of quantifying their concerns would be interesting regardless of the answer.

Wouldn't you like to see a measure of how motivated people really are on the subject?

Oh sorry my mistake, I didnt realize 17% of 1500 highly motivated people spoke for the country.

roflmao roflmao

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: mundus] #2911022
02/09/19 01:22 AM
02/09/19 01:22 AM
B
BillyOcean Offline OP
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: sizzld1
Where does it say no more cars and no more heaters?

So I take it you’re a GND aficionado

100% renewable fuel ( no nukes!) in 12 yrs

How do you do dat without taking everyone’s cars?

Most people buy a car every 10 yrs

You won’t replace the fleet w/o confiscation

Heat: renewables have blackouts

Tell people in Chicago when it’s -20 that there’s no heat that day because the wind dn’t blow and the sun dn’t shiiiine

The blues songs write themselves
Billy clutching the pearls then wetting the bed.

You want me to be wrong so bad buuuuuut you know i have a point

I dont hate you man

Step into reality!

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: manbearpig] #2911024
02/09/19 01:28 AM
02/09/19 01:28 AM
In Gods Country
C
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status
CharmingSophisticate  Offline
Duke status
C

In Gods Country
Originally Posted By: manbearpig
The 17% indicates to people who are highly motivated on the subject, which will obviously be a smaller subset of the people who take the "97% concensus" at their word.

I think it would be an interesting question to ask people if they'd be willing to pay $6/gallon for gas if it would reduce our exposure to climate change by, let's say, 20%. Not that paying $6/gallon would do anything of the sort, but just the act of quantifying their concerns would be interesting regardless of the answer.

Wouldn't you like to see a measure of how motivated people really are on the subject?

Oh sorry my mistake, I didnt realize 17% of 1500 highly motivated people spoke for the country.

roflmao roflmao
Are you acting like a dingaling or do really just not get it?

"...now tell me that wasn't fun!" Capt. Jack Aubrey
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: StuAzole] #2911047
02/09/19 04:11 AM
02/09/19 04:11 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: StuAzole
Originally Posted By: ifallalot
Do dems really think the average person wants to upend their entire life to solve this shit?

They don't care about the average person or the average person's life. They know what is best and they will force everyone to do so

For the children

Force them to do what?

But why not look at it like people do God? Would you rather believe and be wrong or not believe and be wrong? In other words, what's the downside for mankind if you try to cut down on global human impacts? What's the downside if you don't?

And now you're assuming I'm a climate denier too? You're really off your game

Try again.

Clamping down on 4% of the world's population when places like India and China exist amounts to nothing more than large-scale virtue signaling.

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: BillyOcean] #2911049
02/09/19 04:14 AM
02/09/19 04:14 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Green New Deal / Collective Suicide

wave2

The whole proposal is pure comedy

Quote:
Ban affordable energy. GND calls for the elimination of all fossil fuel energy production, the lifeblood of American industry and life, which includes not only all oil but also natural gas one of the cheapest sources of American energy, and one of the reasons the United States has been able to lead the world in carbon-emissions reduction.

Eliminate nuclear energy. The GND also calls for eliminating all nuclear power, one of the only productive and somewhat affordable clean energy sources available to us, in 11 years. This move would purge around 20 percent of American energy generation so you can rely on intermittent wind for your energy needs.

Eliminate 99 percent of cars. To be fair, under the GND, everyone will need to retrofit their cars with Flintstones-style foot holes or pedals for cycling. The authors state that the GND would like to replace every combustion-engine vehicle trucks, airplanes, boats, and 99 percent of cars within ten years. Charging stations for electric vehicles will be built everywhere, though how power plants will provide the energy needed to charge them is a mystery.

Gut and rebuild every building in America. Markey and Cortez want to retrofit every building in America with state of the art energy efficiency. I repeat, every building in America. That includes every home, factory, and apartment building, which will all need, for starters, to have their entire working heating and cooling systems ripped out and replaced withwell, with whatever technology Democrats are going invent in their committee hearings, I guess.

Eliminate air travel. GND calls for building out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary. Good luck Hawaii! Californias high-speed boondoggle is already in $100 billion dollars of debt, and looks to be one of the states biggest fiscal disasters ever. Amtrak runs billions of dollars in the red (though, as well see, trains that run on fossil fuels will also be phased out). Imagine growing that business model out to every state in America?

A government-guaranteed job. The bill promises the United States government will provide every single American with a job that includes a family-sustaining wage, family and medical leave, vacations, and a pension. You can imagine that those left in the private sector would be funding these through some unspecified massive taxation. On the bright side, when youre foraging for food, your savings will be worthless.

Free education for life. GND promises free college or trade schools for every American

A salubrious diet. The GND promises the government will provide healthy food to every American (because there are no beans or lettuce in your local supermarket, I guess).

A house. The GND promises that the government will provide, safe, affordable, adequate housing for every American citizen. I call dibs on an affordable Adams Morgan townhouse. Thank you, Ocasio-Cortez.

Free money. The GND aims to provide, and I am not making this up, economic security for all who are unable or unwilling to work. Just to reiterate: if youre unwilling to work, the rest of us will have your back.

Bonus insanity: Ban meat. Ocasio-Cortez admits that we cant get zero emissions in 10 years because we arent sure that well be able to fully get rid of farting cows and airplanes that fast. The only way to get rid of farting cows is to get rid of beef.

http://thefederalist.com/2019/02/07/ten-most-insane-requirements-green-new-deal/

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: GDaddy] #2911051
02/09/19 04:19 AM
02/09/19 04:19 AM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

Looks like 42% wouldn't be willing to pay even $1 more on a monthly energy bill, let along $4 extra per gallon of gas

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/15/climate-change-money-survey/

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: BillyOcean] #2911057
02/09/19 04:50 AM
02/09/19 04:50 AM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Online sleepy
Duke status
GDaddy  Online Sleepy
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
I think there's a huge difference between asking people if they like puppies in the abstract vs asking them if they want to adopt 6 of them today.

I like puppies, and I might even adopt a couple over the next few years. But you're going to have to assert a shtload of coercion on me if you intend to require me to adopt a half dozen of them at the same time.

#sowhat
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: GDaddy] #2911066
02/09/19 05:29 AM
02/09/19 05:29 AM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: GDaddy] #2911104
02/09/19 12:25 PM
02/09/19 12:25 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline OP
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
B

I think there's a huge difference between asking people if they like puppies in the abstract vs asking them if they want to adopt 6 of them today.

I like puppies, and I might even adopt a couple over the next few years. But you're going to have to assert a shtload of coercion on me if you intend to require me to adopt a half dozen of them at the same time.

Exactly

The typical dumbass dem, like our friends here, just wants the government to do something maybe, like, to corporations

Problem solved amigo!

No cost to them!

tomato

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: BillyOcean] #2911109
02/09/19 12:51 PM
02/09/19 12:51 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Why are you mischaracterizing the wants of others, B?

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: BillyOcean] #2911110
02/09/19 12:52 PM
02/09/19 12:52 PM
M
mundus Offline
Phil Edwards status
mundus  Offline
Phil Edwards status
M

Exactly

The typical dumbass dem, like our friends here, just wants “the government” to “do something” maybe, like, “to corporations”

Problem solved amigo!

No cost to them!

tomato
You really are a fooking idiot, the whole thing is a trial balloon to get things going in the right direction and you just can't help wetting the bed over it,

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: BillyOcean] #2911113
02/09/19 01:25 PM
02/09/19 01:25 PM
Vagina Point
A
Autoprax Offline
Duke status
Autoprax  Offline
Duke status
A

Vagina Point
Did you anti green guys think the oil lobby tries to stifle innovation of alternative fuel sources?

Do you think they try to undermine the consensus in the scientific field that humans are affecting the climate negatively?

incompetence is preferable to malice.
Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: Autoprax] #2911122
02/09/19 02:00 PM
02/09/19 02:00 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline OP
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
B

Originally Posted By: Autoprax
Did you anti green guys think the oil lobby tries to stifle innovation of alternative fuel sources?

Do you think they try to undermine the consensus in the scientific field that humans are affecting the climate negatively?

Yes, its a big conspiracy

Theyve managed to trick everybody into wanting cars and electricity

Re: How big of a problem is climate change and other enviro-religion panicky things to the average person? [Re: mundus] #2911123
02/09/19 02:01 PM
02/09/19 02:01 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline OP
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline OP
Tom Curren status
B

Exactly

The typical dumbass dem, like our friends here, just wants “the government” to “do something” maybe, like, “to corporations”

Problem solved amigo!

No cost to them!

tomato
You really are a fooking idiot, the whole thing is a trial balloon to get things going in the right direction and you just can't help wetting the bed over it,

Are you going to give up your car?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32