REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: afoaf] #2910200
02/07/19 07:50 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: afoaf
it is not necessary for me to drive to the store

I can ride my bike

I can walk

however, walking and riding my bike have not replaced driving

do you really think wagon train is a comparable analogy to high speed rail?

if you want to keep it contemporary, you could acknowledge that people
still drive vehicles cross country.

A comparable analogy is rail from a century or a century and a half ago. Personal vehicles is not comparable either

MUELLER IS COMING batman
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: rice] #2910201
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: rice
Originally Posted By: Kento

The only way it will work is if it cheaper than gas and faster than driving.

Make gas $10/gallon. smile2

I'll bet it would take a higher tax than that to bring passenger rail anywhere near feasible in Calif.

The thing about bus and air travel is that those companies can already break even or clear a profit. That'll never happen with rail anywhere outside of the northeast corridor.

#sowhat
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: ifallalot] #2910202
02/07/19 07:51 PM
in the bathroom
M
manbearpig Offline
Tom Curren status
manbearpig  Offline
Tom Curren status
M

in the bathroom
afoafs point is spot on foreheadslap

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: StuAzole] #2910203
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar
Originally Posted By: StuAzole

That's one way to do it.

Better yet, a large percentage of non-customer service jobs (fast-food workers, bellhops, etc.) could easily be done by telecommuting. Why more companies don't encourage this is beyond me. Increased productivity (by a LONG shot), less distractions, less overhead (no need to lease office space), less pollution, etc. etc. Plus, for those with kids in school, after-school programs, sports, etc., it makes it so much easier so you don't have to drive back and forth to pick them up from one place, drop them off somewhere else, while trying to race to and from work.

Now all that unused office space? Sounds like an opportunity to ease the housing crisis.

Which brings us back to the "just work closer to home" argument everyone thinks is so impossible. If you don't want to commute, work where you live, or go live where you work. Easy.

I take it you are being sarcastic.

Nothing is obscene provided it is done in bad taste.

Russ Meyer
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: rice] #2910205
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

That's genius!

Price fixing always works!

MUELLER IS COMING batman
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: Kento] #2910206
02/07/19 07:52 PM
02/07/19 07:52 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

100% not. Commuting happens because you don't want to work and live in the same place. It's a choice.

Bock you
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: ifallalot] #2910209
02/07/19 07:54 PM
02/07/19 07:54 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Originally Posted By: ifallalot

That's genius!

It's not price fixing, its social engineering. No different than heavy taxes on smokes.

Bock you
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: StuAzole] #2910211
02/07/19 07:56 PM
02/07/19 07:56 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

That's genius!

It's not price fixing, its social engineering. No different than heavy taxes on smokes.

Also idiotic

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/03/cigarette-smuggling-new-york-_n_5041823.html

https://money.cnn.com/2013/01/10/news/companies/cigarette-tax-new-york/index.html

https://publicintegrity.org/health/big-tobaccos-new-york-black-market/

"I CAN'T BREATHE"

MUELLER IS COMING batman
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: StuAzole] #2910213
02/07/19 07:59 PM
02/07/19 07:59 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar
100% not. Commuting happens because you don't want to work and live in the same place. It's a choice.

Can't afford to live where I work and there are no jobs where I live, especially since what I do is pretty specialized.

Telecommuting would solve this problem quite well, wouldn't it? Most people could literally work where they live.

Russ Meyer
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: ifallalot] #2910217
02/07/19 08:05 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

That's genius!

Also idiotic

https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/04/03/cigarette-smuggling-new-york-_n_5041823.html

https://money.cnn.com/2013/01/10/news/companies/cigarette-tax-new-york/index.html

https://publicintegrity.org/health/big-tobaccos-new-york-black-market/

"I CAN'T BREATHE"

Oh my, some people breaking the law means it isn't working!

I'd like to see a similar black market for gas.

Bock you
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: Kento] #2910218
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Can't afford to live where I work and there are no jobs where I live, especially since what I do is pretty specialized.

Telecommuting would solve this problem quite well, wouldn't it? Most people could literally work where they live.

What do you mean you can't afford to live where you work?

Bock you
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: StuAzole] #2910221
02/07/19 08:15 PM
02/07/19 08:15 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar

What do you mean you can't afford to live where you work?

Housing prices, both purchase or rent, are prohibitively expensive. Especially considering I am the sole earner in the family until my kids are old enough.

There's also the fact that I greatly dislike urban centers and the traffic/crowds/shit associated with them.

Russ Meyer
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: Kento] #2910227
02/07/19 08:24 PM
02/07/19 08:24 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Housing prices, both purchase or rent, are prohibitively expensive. Especially considering I am the sole earner in the family until my kids are old enough.

There's also the fact that I greatly dislike urban centers and the traffic/crowds/shit associated with them.

Nah, you're still being vague. Can you afford no place near your work, or just no place that's similarly comfortable? I highly doubt you can't afford any place to live there.

That you dislike urban centers is immaterial to whether you "can" live near where you work. You're making a choice - suburban house and a long drive over urban living with no commute. Would you make the same choice if gas was $10 or $15/gallon?

Bock you
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: StuAzole] #2910233
02/07/19 08:37 PM
02/07/19 08:37 PM
The Bar
K
Kento Online content
Duke status
Kento  Online Content
Duke status
K

The Bar

Nah, you're still being vague. Can you afford no place near your work, or just no place that's similarly comfortable? I highly doubt you can't afford any place to live there.

That you dislike urban centers is immaterial to whether you "can" live near where you work. You're making a choice - suburban house and a long drive over urban living with no commute. Would you make the same choice if gas was $10 or $15/gallon?

There is very little I can afford where I work which would not be a massive down-grade from where I live. Yes, I can afford a one-bedroom apartment with a third the square footage (although it would be only slightly less than my current mortgage) near where I work but with a family of 4, it would not be feasible at all. If it was just me, sure, but with a family of 4? Not a chance.

I am not the only one in this situation at all. In fact, I am better off than most. What about people who are only making, say, $40K/year? They can probably afford a public storage container in Irvine but that's about it. Even 600 ft2 studios go for almost $2K/month. They're commuting from Inland Empire; no other way around it.

If gas got that expensive, still would probably be worth driving in as it would be cheaper than living where I worked.

You do raise an interesting point. Let's say gas does go that high. I think it would be fair at that point to write off gas receipts and automotive wear and tear as a business-related expense. thought

Russ Meyer
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2910236
02/07/19 08:39 PM
02/07/19 08:39 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
T

north of the bridge
this seems totally feasible:

"A guaranteed job "with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations and retirement security" for every American"

I seem to recall hearing that before somewhere...

Page 3 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 12 13

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32