REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2911136
02/09/19 03:01 PM
02/09/19 03:01 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Just buy a smaller car

This is not very hard

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: mundus] #2911172
02/09/19 05:04 PM
02/09/19 05:04 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: mundus
Just think how much cheaper it would be to drive with fuel economy standards?

Not if the car is more expensive in the first place in order to meet those standards

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: ifallalot] #2911195
02/09/19 05:42 PM
02/09/19 05:42 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted By: ifallalot

Not if the car is more expensive in the first place in order to meet those standards

Every new technology is expensive before it becomes cheap. Fuel efficient cars are abundant and cheap in Europe because necessity and market demand drove inovation and mass production.

But no, that's Utopia.

You guys are so determined to not only maintain the status quo but also drag the country back to the 19th century if possible.

As always, you will lose that battle but that will never stop you from trying because conservatards are inward thinking dummies by nature.

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: FecalFace] #2911198
02/09/19 05:49 PM
02/09/19 05:49 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: FecalFace

Every new technology is expensive before it becomes cheap. Fuel efficient cars are abundant and cheap in Europe because necessity and market demand drove inovation and mass production.

But no, that's Utopia.

You guys are so determined to not only maintain the status quo but also drag the country back to the 19th century if possible.

As always, you will lose that battle but that will never stop you from trying because conservatards are inward thinking dummies by nature.

You're fighting facts with feelings here. Nearly all of the same cars in Europe would be available here IF the car companies saw a market for them.

I say nearly because the government regulations you love so much PREVENT many of the diesel engines from being sold here. You know how many awesome small diesels there are?

We're starting to get close on electric cars where their pricing is equal to what someone would spend on a fuel car and fuel to operate it but its only even right now. Not to mention the lack of range on all of them except the high end, expensive cars

Stating facts is not trying to maintain the status quo nor dragging the country back to the 19th Century (it can be argued that's exactly what you want to do with your love of rail and streetcar networks). It is simply stating facts.

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: FecalFace] #2911235
02/09/19 07:12 PM
02/09/19 07:12 PM
Oceanside,CA
S
Surfdog Offline
Duke status
Surfdog  Offline
Duke status
S

Oceanside,CA

But no, that's Utopia.

$6-$7+ a gallon gas/diesel helps force those small euro-weeny cars on the general population (Norway is almost $8 a gallon). Many have no other choice, if they need a car to get around.

All that extra fuel cost is taxes and fees. And that's what the GND is all about.

Collecting more New $Green$ is the leftist Dem$ Deal. cookin

Surf 'em if you got 'em
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: Surfdog] #2911236
02/09/19 07:24 PM
02/09/19 07:24 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
Originally Posted By: Surfdog

But no, that's Utopia.

$6-$7+ a gallon gas/diesel helps force those small euro-weeny cars on the general population (Norway is almost $8 a gallon). Many have no other choice, if they need a car to get around.

All that extra fuel cost is taxes and fees. And that's what the GND is all about.

Collecting more New $Green$ is the leftist Dem$ Deal. cookin

Those "small euro weeny" cars smoke American manufacturers in just about everything but displacement gas guzzling.

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: ifallalot] #2911238
02/09/19 07:35 PM
02/09/19 07:35 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom

But no, that's Utopia.

You're fighting facts with feelings here. Nearly all of the same cars in Europe would be available here IF the car companies saw a market for them.

I say nearly because the government regulations you love so much PREVENT many of the diesel engines from being sold here. You know how many awesome small diesels there are?

We're starting to get close on electric cars where their pricing is equal to what someone would spend on a fuel car and fuel to operate it but its only even right now. Not to mention the lack of range on all of them except the high end, expensive cars

Stating facts is not trying to maintain the status quo nor dragging the country back to the 19th Century (it can be argued that's exactly what you want to do with your love of rail and streetcar networks). It is simply stating facts.

Sounds like feelings to me.

There's no market in the US for fuel efficient cars? Didn't you own a Prius? foreheadslap

Bitching about the electric car range while trying to impede their further development, not to mention your hatred for Elon Musk, seems contradictory.

Yes they're expensive, yes the range is not ideal but if you look where we were 5 years ago and where we are now you'd realize that if people had shiity attitudes towards progress like yours, you would see no Teslas on the road at all.

I asked you million times and never got an answer, what's your answer to future of transportation, considering that 1 person to a car is not a sustainable mode of transport in densely populated areas like Southern CA is becoming?

Let's hear it.

Public transportation technology, like cars, evolve and improve, it's not at all 19th century thing, unless you look only look at US public transport.

UTOPEA! foreheadslap

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2911240
02/09/19 07:43 PM
02/09/19 07:43 PM
your mom
F
FecalFace Offline
Duke status
FecalFace  Offline
Duke status
F

your mom
BTW, I know quite a few people who own Teslas and none of them complain about the range.
And they take a lot of long trips. There's nothing to it. Rapid charging stations everywhere.

It's 100% dummy conservative attitude, people who bitch about this kind of stuff and say it's not worth it, without looking at the facts.

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: FecalFace] #2911244
02/09/19 07:54 PM
02/09/19 07:54 PM
In Gods Country
C
CharmingSophisticate Offline
Duke status
CharmingSophisticate  Offline
Duke status
C

In Gods Country

But no, that's Utopia.

There's no market in the US for fuel efficient cars? Didn't you own a Prius? foreheadslap

Bitching about the electric car range while trying to impede their further development, not to mention your hatred for Elon Musk, seems contradictory.

Yes they're expensive, yes the range is not ideal but if you look where we were 5 years ago and where we are now you'd realize that if people had shiity attitudes towards progress like yours, you would see no Teslas on the road at all.

I asked you million times and never got an answer, what's your answer to future of transportation, considering that 1 person to a car is not a sustainable mode of transport in densely populated areas like Southern CA is becoming?

Let's hear it.

Public transportation technology, like cars, evolve and improve, it's not at all 19th century thing, unless you look only look at US public transport.

UTOPEA! foreheadslap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yc8SlAiyneg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

If the area of United States was about the size and topography of Washington and Oregon this might be something to think about.

Since our population density about the exact opposite of Japan, this idea is idiotic.

Why are "(re)progressives" so want to ram their stupid religion down other peoples throats?

"...now tell me that wasn't fun!" Capt. Jack Aubrey
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: FecalFace] #2911259
02/09/19 08:29 PM
02/09/19 08:29 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA

But no, that's Utopia.

Let's hear it.

UTOPEA! foreheadslap

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yc8SlAiyneg" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

And this is why I don't take the time to answer you seriously anymore. You instantly start to make up shit and whine. Who's trying to impede electric car development? Seriously, where do you come up with this shit?

I'll never answer your question about the future of transportation because it's based on a faulty premise of an incorrect assumption.

Have you taken say, the train and Metro combo down to a Padres game from NCSD? It takes twice as long and costs 4x as much.

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: FecalFace] #2911262
02/09/19 08:35 PM
02/09/19 08:35 PM
A
afoaf Offline
Duke status
afoaf  Offline
Duke status
A

high speed rail linking seattle, portland, Sac, SF, LA, SD, LV would be great.

training is so easy...quick on and off none of that airport stress.

I don't see how that is a religion, it's just a more efficient, affordable, and
pleasant way of traveling.

also, the voters seem to want it.

It’s like the GZA coming on after U-God
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: Duffy] #2911270
02/09/19 09:35 PM
02/09/19 09:35 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status
the janitor  Offline
T

north of the bridge
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Also, the EROI on photovoltaic solar panels is less than break even.

In other words it takes more energy to produce a solar panel than the panel will produce in its lifetime.

oh crap, is that still the case? I remember hearing that years ago and just assumed that they'd gotten efficient enough to surpass that level.

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2911272
02/09/19 09:40 PM
02/09/19 09:40 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
I don't see how that can be. If the economic lifespans of these setups have a break-even point then that means the savings have outweighed the costs. Even if it is 15 years down the line.

#sowhat
Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: GDaddy] #2911275
02/09/19 09:45 PM
02/09/19 09:45 PM
north of the bridge
T
the janitor Offline
the janitor  Offline
T

north of the bridge
I think the "e" in EROI is perhaps energy instead of economic?

Re: AOC: Building high speed rail so that air travel is no longer necessary in the next 10 years [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2911276
02/09/19 09:53 PM
02/09/19 09:53 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Dems want to create a market by taxing the snot out of average people just trying to go to work, school, etc

If its a better alternative people will vote with their wallets

Page 12 of 13 1 2 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32