REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2909902 - 02/07/19 07:42 AM Tavarua- selling the wife
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status

Loc: LBNY
So I'm selling my wife to pay for a trip to Tavarua. she's in her 40's, still a babe, and currently training for her yoga and pilates instruction certs. Handy in a pinch when you can't get a slot at your local studio

laugh but seriously. I'm about to book a week in late May on that fabled island. I've told her all about it and she is on board with the whole Fiji thing, the small private island resort experience, i assured her that the island has basically every tropical island activity you could ever want, even for non surfers.

There is no REAL dilemma here. She's not going to say no to it, and obviously i can (and would) just go myself with zero guilt. But for any of you guys that have been, can you feed me a few nuggets or anecdotes of positive experiences for non-surfing spouses? so I can really sell her on the idea? Becasue i also was realsitic with her that yes, i will be surfing for 4-8 hours a day, sometimes at an offshore reef that requires a boat ride to and fro. And I want her to really be excited, and not just "going on another surf trip somewhere beautiful with her husband"

And she actually HAS done plenty of surfing, but still very much a total beginner. From what i gather Tavarua has little inside-the-reef beginner friendly zones? And would it be likely that even with the limited amount of guests on-island at any given point, there will probably be other non surfing spouses to hang with, go snorkeling, do yoga, etc? Or will she literally just have to entertain herself for hours on end whilst I'm out surfing?

Talk about luxury problems. But it's my 40th birthday that month (and also our anniversary and HER birthday in the same month) and dammit, i want to go to Tavarua. And I would love to tell her that the erBB's collective experience declares that she will enjoy her week there as much as I will.

#2909905 - 02/07/19 08:46 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
Big_Ups Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Hotel Coral Essex
No help, but stocked for ya. shaka

#2909919 - 02/07/19 09:35 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
OneWorldEd Offline

Michael Peterson status

Loc: Murrica
I've not been to Tavi but Namotu lefts is a pretty forgiving - and fun as hell wave. I'd try to set up a sesh or two out there with the wife. I think you can surf out there now that the whole place is basically opened up for surfing by the Fijian gov't. Swimming pools at Namotu is a good right and surely easier than Restaurants, but it can still be pretty fast and steep. Still, if she's a regular foot it's super fun on a log.

#2909920 - 02/07/19 09:35 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
b.r. Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Leucadia
while you are off surfing the boatmen who have the day off will keep her entertained!
when we went, i was on the boat every morning at the crack of dawn and back by the time the wife and kids were eating breakfast, then all sorts of fun things to do, snorkle, fish, paddle board around the island, push the wife into waves at kiddy land, run out to the sand bar for a picnic, run across to namotu, rent a helicopter for an hour and tour the islands (baller like you should do this), hang out with the Fijian people and realize they are the kindest people you may ever meet, eat like a champ Xno drinks for you , drink kava on Fiji night (don't forget to bring a bunch of Kava leaves for the chief) and then hang out with the fijians playing guitar, singing, and drinking more kava behind the restaurant until late into the evening. play ping pong for high stakes, get a massage, walk around the island, try to become friends with Roseman, get barreled, get worked, meet the doctor and get your feet put back together, get tricked by the staff with all sorts of pranks, go up on the observation deck in the middle of the night and ___ you know.. watch sea turtles lay eggs, watch the male staff freak out when a huge sea snake comes up on the deck and then one of the ladies comes and grabs it and throws it back out to sea, have a friend propose to his wife and then get married by a neighboring islands chief/ priest two days later and all the women sing the most beautiful songs you've ever heard, party party party, surf surf surf and then be sad when the last day comes and realize you may never be back there again....
p.s. if you need a guide i'm available...

#2909926 - 02/07/19 10:05 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: b.r.]
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status

B.R. bringing the knowledge!!! I'm just going to copy, paste and email this to my wife, and then book my trip smile

Sorry "Our" trip grin

#2909929 - 02/07/19 10:17 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
Drumsurf Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Beach
Weve had several friends/families go recently. The wives were not surfers and have all raved about it about it. My wife is now sold on the idea. We are going for my 50th in 2020.

Youre wife will love it.

#2909951 - 02/07/19 11:22 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
Boneroni Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Goleta
Originally Posted By: subway
Tavarua- selling the wife

Dude, I'm sure the waves are insane, and it's pricey, but not worth selling your wife for grin2

Originally Posted By: HarryLopez
I guess the ocean is always ready to kill someone for free. laugh

#2909971 - 02/07/19 11:40 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
kdropin Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: LI,NY/ TI,NC
out of curiosity what does a tavarua trip run money wise.. i'm sure it matters where you're flying from.. i'm east coast usa

Edited by kdropin (02/07/19 11:40 AM)

#2909972 - 02/07/19 11:42 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: b.r.]
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status

Loc: San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: b.r.
while you are off surfing the boatmen who have the day off will keep her entertained!
when we went, i was on the boat every morning at the crack of dawn and back by the time the wife and kids were eating breakfast, then all sorts of fun things to do, snorkle, fish, paddle board around the island, push the wife into waves at kiddy land, run out to the sand bar for a picnic, run across to namotu, rent a helicopter for an hour and tour the islands (baller like you should do this), hang out with the Fijian people and realize they are the kindest people you may ever meet, eat like a champ Xno drinks for you , drink kava on Fiji night (don't forget to bring a bunch of Kava leaves for the chief) and then hang out with the fijians playing guitar, singing, and drinking more kava behind the restaurant until late into the evening. play ping pong for high stakes, get a massage, walk around the island, try to become friends with Roseman, get barreled, get worked, meet the doctor and get your feet put back together, get tricked by the staff with all sorts of pranks, go up on the observation deck in the middle of the night and ___ you know.. watch sea turtles lay eggs, watch the male staff freak out when a huge sea snake comes up on the deck and then one of the ladies comes and grabs it and throws it back out to sea, have a friend propose to his wife and then get married by a neighboring islands chief/ priest two days later and all the women sing the most beautiful songs you've ever heard, party party party, surf surf surf and then be sad when the last day comes and realize you may never be back there again....
p.s. if you need a guide i'm available...

Just when I had convinced myself that spartan, simple trips are all I needed in this life of mine.......

#2909974 - 02/07/19 11:44 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
TangTonic Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

I'm curious on price too! 10 year anniversary coming in 2021 and this sounds like a great way to celebrate! She surfs but not a hard charger.

#2909979 - 02/07/19 11:50 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
Truth Offline
Miki Dora status

STOCKED!

#2909983 - 02/07/19 11:52 AM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: TangTonic]
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status

2019 rate: $4,000 per person for the week. Literally includes everything except airfare, booze, and tip(s)

Airfare from JFK- $1250 R/T per person. business class is a whopping $6K each. even i don't roll that hard. I'll spring for the extra legroom seats though lol

So that aint cheap, but talk about trip of a lifetime. And I inked a deal last night around 5:25 PM that will pay for the entire thing, so it's time to carpe the diem

#2910018 - 02/07/19 12:16 PM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
Drumsurf Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Beach
Stocked indeed. Isn't there a lower rate for non surfers?

#2910026 - 02/07/19 12:24 PM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: Drumsurf]
rowjimmytour Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Rbeach
Originally Posted By: Drumsurf
Weve had several friends/families go recently. The wives were not surfers and have all raved about it about it. My wife is now sold on the idea. We are going for my 50th in 2020.

Youre wife will love it.

Stocked I turn 50 in 2020 as well but need to hit lottery for this trip. I was thinking Northshore trip staying at Sunset since I have never been in dead of winter with swell drowning

#2910041 - 02/07/19 12:34 PM Re: Tavarua- selling the wife [Re: subway]
jkb Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Oceansuck
Stocked! My wife and I have a trip booked to Namotu in September. We've been to Fiji once before, but we were on the main island and there wasn't a lot of surfing/beach activities involved. More lounging by the pool and going into town type stuff.

Looking forward to hearing what you thought.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32