REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Boards for mexico #2898405
01/15/19 07:28 AM
01/15/19 07:28 AM
B
bergie Offline OP
Grom
bergie  Offline OP
Grom
B

Hey going to road trip Mexico March and April from pascuales to probably saline cruz or at least Escondido with a 2 weeks stop at la saladita with friends. I wonder which boards to bring in only bring 2 my all around 5'9 and debating about my 5'6 small wave (puddle jumper style) or a 6'0 round tail. Does it worth to bring a 6'0? How big does it get in those months? And no I won't ride Escondido or pascuales if big. More for la ticla nexpa Barra cruz ect. Any suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks

Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2901594
01/21/19 05:12 AM
01/21/19 05:12 AM
San Francisco
K
kool-aid Offline
Michael Peterson status
kool-aid  Offline
Michael Peterson status
K

San Francisco
Tough choice. Saladita, you're going to want a straight fish, if not a longboard, unless you plan on going to the ranch every day. Pasquales will have waves, puerto escondido will have waves. But if you're not planning on riding anything overhead at those places, then I'd just take your 5'6 and 5'9.

Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2903116
01/24/19 03:47 PM
01/24/19 03:47 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

For that time of year where youre talking about going Id recommend traveling with a stepup board.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2909044
02/05/19 07:59 PM
02/05/19 07:59 PM
B
bergie Offline OP
Grom
bergie  Offline OP
Grom
B

Thanks for the reply. Hows pascuales when smaller I heard it for experienced tube rider when on but what about other days does it get to only head and below more manageable? Is el paraiso north is more accessible to intermediate and can it be walked on the beach from pascuales?

Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2909167
02/05/19 10:49 PM
02/05/19 10:49 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: bergie
Thanks for the reply. Hows pascuales when smaller I heard it for experienced tube rider when on but what about other days does it get to only head and below more manageable? Is el paraiso north is more accessible to intermediate and can it be walked on the beach from pascuales?

You can ride a standard shortboard that you'd ride in chest-head high Florida or California at Pascuales when it's that size. Yes, it *can* get head high, inconsistent, and relaxing.

I've never surfed Paraiso; I am not sure if it just works every day or no. You could walk it, but anything that can get rashed on your legs/crotch I'd expect to be shredded and bloody - it's a long walk. The river can be forded easily enough; just mind the open wounds and face dunkings in the Tecoman Turd Tea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I second Ogro's recommendation. Even if you really don't intend to surf Pascuales once it's more than 2@12 seconds, to spend that much time in proper Mainland Mex, without a step up...there are other waves around that aren't as demanding as Pascuales, but still have swell speed, current, a real drop, with a real wall, calling for a real bottom turn. If you're not up for 1.5xOH at Pascuales, are you laying these alt grovel shapes over on rail at points and driving around sections? Or are you hung in the lip and falling to the flat and getting smashed, or chattering 150 yards down the line, out of control?

Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2909265
02/06/19 04:15 AM
02/06/19 04:15 AM
B
bergie Offline OP
Grom
bergie  Offline OP
Grom
B

Thanks sharkbiscuit.for the recommendation. Its a tough call my 5'9 isnt really grovel though its 19.25 x 2 7/16 stagaed rocker but good tail and nose kick. Like a fred rubble kinda board. Both my 5'9 and 6'0 have similar volumes. I should try to bring all of them

Last edited by bergie; 02/06/19 03:27 PM.
Re: Boards for mexico [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2909284
02/06/19 04:55 AM
02/06/19 04:55 AM
B
bergie Offline OP
Grom
bergie  Offline OP
Grom
B

Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit
Originally Posted By: bergie

You can ride a standard shortboard that you'd ride in chest-head high Florida or California at Pascuales when it's that size. Yes, it *can* get head high, inconsistent, and relaxing.

I've never surfed Paraiso; I am not sure if it just works every day or no. You could walk it, but anything that can get rashed on your legs/crotch I'd expect to be shredded and bloody - it's a long walk. The river can be forded easily enough; just mind the open wounds and face dunkings in the Tecoman Turd Tea.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I second Ogro's recommendation. Even if you really don't intend to surf Pascuales once it's more than 2@12 seconds, to spend that much time in proper Mainland Mex, without a step up...there are other waves around that aren't as demanding as Pascuales, but still have swell speed, current, a real drop, with a real wall, calling for a real bottom turn. If you're not up for 1.5xOH at Pascuales, are you laying these alt grovel shapes over on rail at points and driving around sections? Or are you hung in the lip and falling to the flat and getting smashed, or chattering 150 yards down the line, out of control?

Usually I feel pretty good on my 5'9 especially since it's has the volume for surfing with my 5/4 wetsuit so a bit more foam than I might need in bord short. I should be comfortable on those drop, I sure hope... 😲 is March April shoulder seasons? Usually more small days than big days, no lots of experience with barrels. Got to grow some balls.

Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2909357
02/06/19 03:22 PM
02/06/19 03:22 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
I dunno about March/April being shoulder seasons or not.

"Can you ask if she'll blow me too?" - Autoprax
Re: Boards for mexico [Re: bergie] #2911926
02/11/19 06:15 PM
02/11/19 06:15 PM
1whoknows Offline
Phil Edwards status
1whoknows  Offline
Phil Edwards status

Im thinking its not going to matter what boards you bring. Bring plenty of band-aids

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32