REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2908197
02/04/19 01:43 AM
02/04/19 01:43 AM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

Hdip is right, Malibu Surfrider can be a good foil spot in winter when it is super small (1-2ft) hight tide (but still it is shallow...), there is almost nobody there surfing and if it does on a foil you actually surf inside far away form the crowd.

And just like said grendale95 everybody agrees we don't want to foil on crowded spots, but the beauty of foiling is that the best time you have foiing is when the waves are not good for surfing anyway.

I would say the best spots to learn are San Onofre (it is worth driving there even for L.A), Mondos at Ventura is also a good spot. Bolsa Chica if it is small is ok.

So far I see foilers really respectfull and ''smart'' (even if I wish everybody should use a leash...).

Personaly I don't foil if the waves are good enought for surfing and if I really want to foil then I'm looking for the worst wave I can find, exactly the opposite as I would do for surfing.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2908234
02/04/19 03:53 AM
02/04/19 03:53 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
How is trails at San o for foiling? My kids might like camping there and I could foil. Is dog patch or whatever the foil spot at San o is that much better and worth the hassle to get in there?

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Hdip] #2908249
02/04/19 04:35 AM
02/04/19 04:35 AM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

The best with Sano is that it is always good for foiling no matter the tide, but I would say mid tide is best. The wave is world class for foiling. This is exactly what you want for foiling, easy take off then you ride the swell, no steep section, the wave dies then reforms and goes for ever.

Trail is fun for foiling but not as good as Sano.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2908258
02/04/19 05:13 AM
02/04/19 05:13 AM
SJC
G
grendel95 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
grendel95  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
G

SJC
Trails is very hit or miss for surfing in general and the camping is nearly as bad with the train tracks yards from your campsite.

Better to camp at San Clemente state park and hop over to San O.

Parking is a little bit of a hassle due to the popularity of Sano now and it can be tough to get a parking spot in the south end of the lot because the SUP crowd is relegated to that area.

Vivat Grendel!
Instagram: @mighty_surf hat
Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2909569
02/06/19 07:12 PM
02/06/19 07:12 PM
J
juandesooka Offline
Grom
juandesooka  Offline
Grom
J

This thread highlights that we should be considering a ban on surfboards in traditional foil spots. Haha, I jest.

Seems to me that foiling is now taking on much of the hate that SUP got years ago, just now it's "Blame Kai" instead of "Blame Laird". But I think foiling is probably overall safer to others than SUP, despite the high speed sword/guillotine below us. The reason being foiling is really, really hard to learn, takes mega commitment to even get intermediate at it. Whereas SUP is so popular because of how easy it is. It may take someone years to get half decent on a shortboard, but you can catch waves on a SUP literally your first session. So it's all too easy for the lineup to be full of SUPs who can technically surf but really have no idea about safety or etiquette.

From what I've seen, foiling attracts an older demographic (expensive toys), maybe more thoughtful (nerdy techies) and hopefully more self-aware (willing to doggedly pursue this challenge). That reduces the likelihood of them being complete idiots in a crowded surfing line up. However, there's still the risk of the idiot factor ... and the bans at Bondi and in France show what will happen if these foils are considered a danger to others.

Similar to what's happened in the kiting community, the key to avoiding bans is self-policing. If you see people doing dumb s**t that threatens access, have to call them on it. That includes online: these instragram warriors with videos of them weaving around surfers, that's not smart.

Signed, Mr. Bob Loblaw

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: juandesooka] #2909585
02/06/19 07:21 PM
02/06/19 07:21 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA

I'm back. So this guy (gregfoil?) was out by himself for awhile, then 3 longboarders joined him. Shall we do a who rode it better test?

This shows how foils and regular boards can be at the same break, but riding completely different waves. That's why the foil is fun. You're looking at waves in a whole new way. (lefts at 1st point for example) It's learning a new sport all over again. You cover 3 times the distance and are going fast pretty much the whole time. It's also very hard which makes for a fun challenge.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating foils at crowded breaks, I am against that. I'm just saying that they can be in the same lineup with people on occasion and no one will die. Sometimes a foil is just the right tool for the job.

Last edited by Hdip; 02/06/19 07:40 PM. Reason: Pulled the clip.
Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2909616
02/06/19 08:08 PM
02/06/19 08:08 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
that's rad. he went left, right, right

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Hdip] #2909764
02/07/19 01:23 AM
02/07/19 01:23 AM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

Originally Posted By: Hdip
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GOn4dGMg7DE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I'm back. So this guy (gregfoil?) was out by himself for awhile, then 3 longboarders joined him. Shall we do a who rode it better test?

This shows how foils and regular boards can be at the same break, but riding completely different waves. That's why the foil is fun. You're looking at waves in a whole new way. (lefts at 1st point for example) It's learning a new sport all over again. You cover 3 times the distance and are going fast pretty much the whole time. It's also very hard which makes for a fun challenge.

Disclaimer: I am not advocating foils at crowded breaks, I am against that. I'm just saying that they can be in the same lineup with people on occasion and no one will die. Sometimes a foil is just the right tool for the job.

Yep that is me, I foiled for 2h while the 3 guys stayed 20 minutes, that means everything.
One of the guy is a long time Malibu life guard, he was really interested about foiling and super nice !
Be smart, show good etiquette, don't be stupid or too greedy and at the end everybody will be happy. But I guess it is gonna be hard to foil during summer time, I actually will be back to France and even at my local break which is really good for foiling and where I've been surfing for more than 30 years I still don't foil much during summer time, too crowded.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2909801
02/07/19 03:07 AM
02/07/19 03:07 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Nice. I really wanted to go today but didnt get work done. Possibly tomorrow for a short session if I can get there before the tide switch.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2909802
02/07/19 03:12 AM
02/07/19 03:12 AM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Whoops phone double post.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Kaser1] #2915634
02/19/19 03:32 PM
02/19/19 03:32 PM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

Can't post photo, don't know why so there is the link to my FB page
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=3&theater

I had the best dw conditions I have ever seen in Malibu. I broke my paddle but fortunatly I wasn't too far from the finish and I was able to catch some bumps but the board was too wide and too big for prone.

Anyway, I think dw is really under estimaded in this area, I see many kite but no OC, no SUP and SUP foil.
The runs are actually pretty safe because it is close to the shore.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: gregfoil] #2915639
02/19/19 03:49 PM
02/19/19 03:49 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Your link doesn't work either greg. I am dying to do a downwind run actually. I wanted to do it kiting but gave up on kiting before we got around to it. I will get to it foiling eventually. Just not sure on what kind of board to use as I only have my prone 4'6".

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Hdip] #2915643
02/19/19 03:52 PM
02/19/19 03:52 PM
Malibu, CA
H
Hdip Online content
Michael Peterson status
Hdip  Online Content
Michael Peterson status
H

Malibu, CA
Edit: Wrong thread.

Re: LA/OC/SD Foilers [Re: Hdip] #2915666
02/19/19 04:24 PM
02/19/19 04:24 PM
G
gregfoil Offline
Grom
gregfoil  Offline
Grom
G

Originally Posted By: Hdip
Your link doesn't work either greg. I am dying to do a downwind run actually. I wanted to do it kiting but gave up on kiting before we got around to it. I will get to it foiling eventually. Just not sure on what kind of board to use as I only have my prone 4'6".

I designed a 5'6 x 18 prone special foil dw, I should get it soon. I will let you know how it works.

Page 2 of 2 1 2