REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman #2903461
01/25/19 02:14 AM
01/25/19 02:14 AM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Has anyone ever rented a car in Colima city or Tecoman or have any intel on doing so? Or is it better to use buses?
Planning to travel down into Michoacán

Last edited by JJJJS; 01/25/19 02:14 AM.

It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society.

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2903697
01/25/19 03:51 PM
01/25/19 03:51 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Originally Posted By: JJJJS
Has anyone ever rented a car in Colima city or Tecoman or have any intel on doing so? Or is it better to use buses?

Edgar (Real Hotel Pascuales) let us take some rando truck he had with Michigan plates down to Ticla one afternoon about ten years ago. We got stopped at the state border along Apiza and wound up getting back after dark; Edgar and the ding repair crew thought us and the truck was Michoa-gone.

It was a ton of fun day trip, surfing a soft North Florida style wave, a few hours with just my buddy, after days of wearing depth charges.

Personally, I check the forecast and commit to a spot and just use buses. If it's small, Pascuales. If it picks up, about 4 hours down to Caleta. Bus seems to leave Tecoman around 9-930. When I get tired of people hassling the takeoff (swell dropping) I head back to Tecoman.

I've walked in/out Nexpa, and done the wait on the side of 200 thing. I wouldn't do it with a woman. Horrendously isolated feeling. Unless you are on a penny pinch mission I'd get the taxi to/from Caleta, and wait for the bus out at the taxi stand by that restaurant; those people and especially the abuela lady running things were always very cool to me.

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2903842
01/25/19 06:18 PM
01/25/19 06:18 PM
Mexico
M
MANdingo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MANdingo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Mexico

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2903987
01/25/19 11:15 PM
01/25/19 11:15 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted By: Sharkbiscuit

Edgar (Real Hotel Pascuales) let us take some rando truck he had with Michigan plates down to Ticla one afternoon about ten years ago. We got stopped at the state border along Apiza and wound up getting back after dark; Edgar and the ding repair crew thought us and the truck was Michoa-gone.

It was a ton of fun day trip, surfing a soft North Florida style wave, a few hours with just my buddy, after days of wearing depth charges.

Personally, I check the forecast and commit to a spot and just use buses. If it's small, Pascuales. If it picks up, about 4 hours down to Caleta. Bus seems to leave Tecoman around 9-930. When I get tired of people hassling the takeoff (swell dropping) I head back to Tecoman.

I've walked in/out Nexpa, and done the wait on the side of 200 thing. I wouldn't do it with a woman. Horrendously isolated feeling. Unless you are on a penny pinch mission I'd get the taxi to/from Caleta, and wait for the bus out at the taxi stand by that restaurant; those people and especially the abuela lady running things were always very cool to me.

Thanks for the info I think I might end up using buses. Do you know the journey time between Tecoman and La Ticla? Also at Caleta are there any spots other than Nexpa?

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: MANdingo] #2903989
01/25/19 11:16 PM
01/25/19 11:16 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

I'm looking for more specific recommendations

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2904254
01/26/19 05:56 PM
01/26/19 05:56 PM
Mexico
M
MANdingo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MANdingo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Mexico
R U flying into Colima?

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: MANdingo] #2904296
01/26/19 08:04 PM
01/26/19 08:04 PM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted By: MANdingo
R U flying into Colima?

Yeah I will be. Current plan is to get a taxi into the city and then use buses to Tecoman and beyond. Do you think this is the best stratagem?

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2904310
01/26/19 09:10 PM
01/26/19 09:10 PM
Mexico
M
MANdingo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MANdingo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

Mexico
Personally I´d rather have a car to explore that coast. Buses are OK but getting out to Pascuales,Ticla and Nexpa will be a pain in the arse. There are lotsa other breaks on that coast that aren´t accessed by bus.Plus as mentioned above much mo betta staying in Caleta and driving for surfs around the area.

I have my own vehicles so I have never used them but these guys look ok

http://www.autorentacolima.com/

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2904609
01/27/19 07:27 PM
01/27/19 07:27 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach
Thanks for the info I think I might end up using buses. Do you know the journey time between Tecoman and La Ticla? Also at Caleta are there any spots other than Nexpa?

I think it's about 2-2.5 hours from Tecoman to La Ticla. If you don't feel like hoofing it in from 200 stop in La Placita instead and take a taxi.

Not sure about other spots in vicinity.

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: Sharkbiscuit] #2906328
01/31/19 12:43 AM
01/31/19 12:43 AM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

We got stopped at the state border along Apiza

Did that present any problems? I.e. do they inspect your vehicle or ask for bribes etc? I've driven in Mexico before but have never traversed state lines...

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: MANdingo] #2906329
01/31/19 12:47 AM
01/31/19 12:47 AM
J
JJJJS Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
JJJJS  Offline OP
Legend (inyourownmind)
J

Originally Posted By: MANdingo
Personally I´d rather have a car to explore that coast. Buses are OK but getting out to Pascuales,Ticla and Nexpa will be a pain in the arse. There are lotsa other breaks on that coast that aren´t accessed by bus.Plus as mentioned above much mo betta staying in Caleta and driving for surfs around the area.

I have my own vehicles so I have never used them but these guys look ok

http://www.autorentacolima.com/

Cheers, I'm taking the vehicular option more seriously now

~ Jiddu Krishnamurti
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2906611
01/31/19 03:28 PM
01/31/19 03:28 PM
Jacksonville Beach
S
Sharkbiscuit Offline
Phil Edwards status
Sharkbiscuit  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

Jacksonville Beach

We got stopped at the state border along Apiza

Did that present any problems? I.e. do they inspect your vehicle or ask for bribes etc? I've driven in Mexico before but have never traversed state lines...

Fine for us that one time, other than I shit myself and lost my Spanish so badly my non Spanish speaking friend had to tell me they were just asking my name. Then I snapped out of it and we were all good. No bribes. They might have inspected the truck, but it was empty; would take all of 30 seconds to look under the seats, in the glove, and find nothing.

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2906837
01/31/19 07:09 PM
01/31/19 07:09 PM
E
ElOgro Offline
Duke status
ElOgro  Offline
Duke status
E

You’ll probably get waved through any retén, they’re not looking for you. Buses get stopped too, as do taxis.

Occasionally at a retén there will be somebody they are looking for so if you suddenly hear a loud popping noise duck down as far as you can and haul ass.

"That's their respect for me... I got leid," Rabbit Kekai

"That's all it takes--one moment." Sponge
Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2914958
02/18/19 09:20 AM
02/18/19 09:20 AM
E
elma123345 Offline
Grom
elma123345  Offline
Grom
E

I dont have any experience to buy a car from Tecoman, but mostly I take a car on rent from Car Rental 8 Coupons, and I saw they are also giving car on rent in Tecoman, so if you urgently need must explore there.

Re: Renting a car in Colima City or Tecoman [Re: JJJJS] #2915287
02/18/19 08:42 PM
02/18/19 08:42 PM
C
cdes Online content
Nep status
cdes  Online Content
Nep status
C

We've rented an SUV and taken taxis from Colima to Pasquales/Ticla. Taxis are cheaper but you lose your ability to explore. Usually we'll check the swell size and go to either one or the other and stay for a while. I dont remember who we rented the SUV from, but it was a car rental place's personal vehicle. Took a while to get out of town. If you get in a taxi at least you can be on your way fairly quickly.

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32