REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2906361 - 01/30/19 09:00 PM How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling?
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status

Loc: Kek Point
Are both legs used to generate speed?

If not seems like it would pull your body way out of alignment.

"Lots of trigger points up the pooper.
If they are causing the problem, realeasing them will help
I tried to talk my PT into doing it." -Autoprax

#2906431 - 01/31/19 12:08 AM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Kaser1 Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: Foiltown , Hawai'i
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
Are both legs used to generate speed?

If not seems like it would pull your body way out of alignment.

I'm getting both legs working almost equal. I'm not walking crooked at all.

#2906473 - 01/31/19 01:19 AM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Loc: Nar
I think its pretty balanced, maybe more than surfing.

One thing, as far as the whole core/back alignment thing goes....paddling a very short corky board with a big floating pendulum attached to the bottom is an epic workout. I feel better for it.

#2909490 - 02/06/19 01:04 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: Clamsmasha]
Moby_Dick Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: Dick from the Depths
I remember when bump skiing was all the rage. The constant pistoning of the knees/legs led to a lot of cripples inside of ten years. They're pretty much all limping around on titanium knees now. All that Huntington Hop/foil thing to drive the boards over flats is going to take a toll.

#2909500 - 02/06/19 01:13 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: Moby_Dick]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
It's kind of like doing jumping jacks at the end of every wave. Leg burners for sure. Not sure it's the same kind of impact as skiing bumps.

One guy out at 1st right now. I thought about going but didn't get enough work done. Now I'm jealous. He's getting some good pumps back out to sea.

#2909768 - 02/06/19 08:35 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: Moby_Dick]
liquidmedium Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: moku loa
Originally Posted By: Moby_Dick
I remember when bump skiing was all the rage. The constant pistoning of the knees/legs led to a lot of cripples inside of ten years. They're pretty much all limping around on titanium knees now. All that Huntington Hop/foil thing to drive the boards over flats is going to take a toll.

If youre talking about moguls as the bump skiing youre describing and comparing that in any way to the leg pumping from foiling, then youre dumb.

#2909803 - 02/06/19 10:13 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: liquidmedium]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Originally Posted By: liquidmedium
Originally Posted By: Moby_Dick

If youre talking about moguls as the bump skiing youre describing and comparing that in any way to the leg pumping from foiling, then youre dumb.

Lol, straight to the point!

Pretty much zero impact on knees from the pump. Its more like hanging from a bar and doing quick leg raises than anything.

#2910370 - 02/07/19 07:51 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: Clamsmasha]
juandesooka Offline
Grom

Originally Posted By: Clamsmasha
I think its pretty balanced, maybe more than surfing.

One thing, as far as the whole core/back alignment thing goes....paddling a very short corky board with a big floating pendulum attached to the bottom is an epic workout. I feel better for it.

Agreed, the fringe benefits of pursuing this wacky sport are a noticeable improvement in overall fitness. The obsessive 3-4+ hour sessions help with this, as do the exceptionally long paddle backs. So many more waves, so much more distance covered, than a typical surf session.

I haven't noticed any leg issues in surf/sup foiling, though I have in kite foiling, legs cramp up if stay in same stance too long.

A related health issue though for those doing the sup foil thing ... excessive paddling may lead to elbow tendonitis. Kiting, computer mousing, chainsawing all contribute to mine, but paddling is the worst. I've recently switched to a much lighter paddle and I think that has helped.

#2910394 - 02/07/19 09:21 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: Clamsmasha]
Hdip Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Malibu, CA
. Its more like hanging from a bar and doing quick leg raises than anything.

[/quote]

Thats the best explanation of how to pump than anything else Ive read. Surfed tiny waves today just to work on pumping. Had a few good runs. Even tried beach starts when the tide got to low. Thats hard.

#2910421 - 02/07/19 10:18 PM Re: How bad are the muscle imblances from foiling? [Re: Hdip]
Clamsmasha Offline
Gerry Lopez status

I have had a few shots at dock/rock starts and that just made feel stupid. I really want it though, it will open up downwinders for me.

Edited by Clamsmasha (02/07/19 10:22 PM)