REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2907601 - 02/02/19 11:12 AM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Duffy]
tedshred5 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)

Loc: SD
to piggyback off this question - what's up with these and why so cheap?
Info says flat bottom. Do the Surftech Barks have a hull bottom?

https://veslpaddleboards.com/paddle-boar...ripes-blue.html

#2907616 - 02/02/19 12:06 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: tedshred5]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Loc: Your moms house
Originally Posted By: tedshred5

Ultra shit quality.

- The Wasp

#2907619 - 02/02/19 12:13 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: tedshred5]
20W-50 and blood Online   mad
Duke status

Loc: SOCAL

don't know about the rest...but the commander ones definitely are rounded/hull bottoms

check your pm box

Edited by 20W-50 and blood (02/02/19 12:14 PM)

#2907621 - 02/02/19 12:16 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Duffy]
Zander Offline
Nep status

Loc: Australia
Originally Posted By: Duffy

Ultra shit quality.

The quality is probably ok but I wouldnt support anyone who blatantly scans and copies someone elses board and sells it on their own. There was a huge drama where jack bark showed the commander file over layed onto this and they were exactly the same.

As to the ghost carbon any surftech dealer or paddle shop can get them. Many of the guys I paddle with bought used ones but they took 1-2 months to find them.

#2907622 - 02/02/19 12:17 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: tedshred5]
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status

It's probably cheap because the design is slow and the materials suck. I know a few shapers that experiment with a little bit of concave on their hulls but not full flat bottoms like this. I cant imagine those cut through water like a good paddleboard should.

#2907691 - 02/02/19 04:10 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: crotchgrab]
Zander Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: crotchgrab

It's probably cheap because the design is slow and the materials suck. I know a few shapers that experiment with a little bit of concave on their hulls but not full flat bottoms like this. I cant imagine those cut through water like a good paddleboard should.

Concave is great on paddleboards. It really really helps with stability. Most Molokai boards actually have a rounded hull into a double concave

#2907729 - 02/02/19 06:56 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Zander]
crotchgrab Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: Zander
Originally Posted By: crotchgrab

Concave is great on paddleboards. It really really helps with stability. Most Molokai boards actually have a rounded hull into a double concave

Yeah, the concaves I see from some of those shapers look really good and i imagine allows you to go narrower with more stability.
Didnt know about the double concaves, though. very interesting.

#2907804 - 02/02/19 10:47 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: crotchgrab]
bsnyder Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Oceanside Ca.
I have a 12 prone paddle board Id sell. Scraping up some extra cash for upcoming Boardroomshow. Dont really want to sell it because it paddles really fast. Hit me up & Ill shoot ya a photo. Or go on my website. Its the silver colored one.

"Stay dusty my friend."

barrysnyderdesigns.com
@barrysnyderdesigns

#2907829 - 02/02/19 11:43 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Duffy]
njsurfer42 Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: shrouded in a 5/4
Dan Manns boards look pretty amazing

#2907989 - 02/03/19 11:01 AM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Duffy]
patrolman Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: Duffy
Originally Posted By: sh3
Agree 100% with Zander. Surftech Commander with the wide tail. At your weight, it's the optimal board. It really is exactly what Joe would shape you for a custom.

Volume is less important than on a surfboard, but if you've got too little it SUCKS. If you've got too much, and you're just looking to duff around on the thing, it's not as big a deal. If you do want to race, get the right one.

As for the ghost carbon construction, if you are lucky enough to find a used one, GET IT. It's way lighter than the normal ST construction and the board is perfect.

And Zander... do I know you? You're not Jebidiah with a Z, are you? Have you done any northern hemisphere races?

-ShShSh

So where can I go buy one of these things? Craigslist doesnt have shit....

Try eatonsurf.com

#2907991 - 02/03/19 11:05 AM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Duffy]
retodd Offline
Duke status

#2908002 - 02/03/19 11:29 AM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: retodd]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Yeah, might get that one. Id like a little more volume but maybe work with that one for a bit then give it to the wifey...

- The Wasp

#2908019 - 02/03/19 12:23 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: Duffy]
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Location Location
The Bark Commanders are great stock boards. I have one at home that I paddle and even though people always say I should be on a 14' board (I'm kinda big), I like the nimbleness of a stock board and I'm not racing, just trying to have fun and stay in shape.

#2908029 - 02/03/19 12:47 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: youcantbeserious]
Duffy Online   content
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious
The Bark Commanders are great stock boards. I have one at home that I paddle and even though people always say I should be on a 14' board (I'm kinda big), I like the nimbleness of a stock board and I'm not racing, just trying to have fun and stay in shape.

How much do you weigh?

- The Wasp

#2908058 - 02/03/19 02:22 PM Re: Prone Paddleboard Question [Re: youcantbeserious]
Zander Offline
Nep status

Originally Posted By: youcantbeserious

If you ever get a new board either get the new commander WT or go custom. In Australia people of all weights paddle 106, 120, or 180. The volume is dependent on the paddler size. For example DEEP ocean boards makes for paddlers that go up in 5kg increments ie: 55kg 60kg etc all the way up to 90kg. And 106 clubby boards are designed for some people that are 100+ kgs

The first stock bark I had was horrible to knee paddle and not stable at all. I didnt know there was different volumes and whatnot as their are no dims on the boards. I then custom ordered a JM built for my weight the thing was super easy to knee paddle. Now Im on the wide tail commander bark and weigh in the 180s and no worries for me on a stock board

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >