REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2904328 - 01/26/19 05:45 PM Honolua Bay Surfline Sizing
Illuster Offline
Grom

Hey folks!
Heading to Maui next week and its my first time. Im going to be around Honolua Bay most of the time.
Im a pretty experience and knowledgeable surfer but I wanted to check if any of you know how accurate Surfline is forecasting Honolua Bay. I need to decide what quiver I bring.
Ill bring my Pyzalien as my to go board, from 3-7/8 ft (not Hawaiian), then either my StepUp in case Ill head up to Hookipa or if Honolua ever gets over 7ft. Or Ill bring a puddle jumper for soma small wave action along the Westside wherever theres a fun wave. I wanna keep it to 2 boards.
Surfline reports 4-5 most of the time but the forecasts is algorithm based so maybe theres someone who can give a bit of inside for waves sizes in that area. Id appreciate it a LOT!

Thanks !
Dennis

#2909282 - 02/05/19 11:50 PM Re: Honolua Bay Surfline Sizing [Re: Illuster]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Ive never surfed outside Hanalei, the bowl or whatever, but every time Ive been and surfed Pine Trees or Waikokos they have been pretty accurate. In my experience they are often conservative, but occasionally get it wrong. After all, they are forecast most of these spots by looking at Cams, right?

Surfline calls it by wave face height which I agree with 100% because that is what I have to get over, under, or pitched off of mad

#2910824 - 02/08/19 02:52 PM Re: Honolua Bay Surfline Sizing [Re: 92122]
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status

There are no Cams for Hanalei Bay anymore nor the Hanalei Pier since the big flood in April of 2018.
4 - 6 feet will be fun for Honolua, but when moving up to 6 - 8 feet, I hope you took a pintail for speed for getting by the Cave.

#2912126 - 02/11/19 06:25 PM Re: Honolua Bay Surfline Sizing [Re: 92122]
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Orange County
Originally Posted By: 92122
Ive never surfed outside Hanalei, the bowl or whatever, but every time Ive been and surfed Pine Trees or Waikokos they have been pretty accurate. In my experience they are often conservative, but occasionally get it wrong. After all, they are forecast most of these spots by looking at Cams, right?

Surfline calls it by wave face height which I agree with 100% because that is what I have to get over, under, or pitched off of mad
pokestick Honolua...

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32