REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. #2901679
01/21/19 02:48 PM
01/21/19 02:48 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline OP
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline OP
Duke status
C

Petak Island
https://www.pri.org/stories/2019-01-18/olympic-hopeful-senegal-hopes-inspire-more-black-women-surf

On a crisp winter morning at California’s Santa Monica State Beach, Khadjou Sambe is running through a warm-up drill with her surfing coach Rhonda Harper.

After the 23-year-old finishes her stretches, she moves slowly towards the water. It’s one of Sambe’s last days in the US. Her six-month visa is about to expire and she will head back to her home in Dakar, Senegal. Sambe has been training with Harper in California with the hopes of eventually competing in the 2020 Olympics, the first time that surfing will be part of the Summer Games.

For Sambe, the vibe at Santa Monica is a novelty, quite unlike her beach back home.

“[Here] you can see different surfers, different waves, different people,” Sambe says.

Yet at this world-famous beach, on this Sunday morning, Harper, Sambe and another young female surfer, Bhella Bell, are the only black women as far as the eye can see.

“It’s uncomfortable to come because it’s so white,” says Rhonda Harper, a longtime surfer, and founder of the organization Black Girls Surf.

As they lunge and stretch, the women laugh and joke amongst themselves. Harper says keeping it light helps defray the sense of isolation.

But Harper is tired of this. That’s why she is working with Sambe. Harper believes the only way to get more black women riding waves is to coach them and then help them travel to international surf contests where they will be seen. But black surfers on the professional circuit are rare despite the multicultural origins of the sport.

Surfing has long been part of Hawaiian and Polynesian cultures. It waned after missionaries arrived and effectively banned the sport, as part an effort to erase native culture. Historians say forms of surf riding were also present in parts of West Africa as far back as the 1800s and in northern Peru. But in the 1960s, famous films and television shows, such as "Endless Summer" and "Gidget," created perceptions that surfing is an all-white sport. In the US, segregation laws that blocked people of color from accessing public beaches perpetuated this image. Harper hopes to change this by helping more black women like Sambe become part of professional surfing.

Sambe’s path to surfing began as a small girl, using bits of broken boards to paddle the waves near her family’s home in Dakar. She was the only girl plunging into the rocky waters. Her cousins and uncles surfed frequently, but Sambe was constantly told the sport wasn’t for her.

“When I started surfing, many people told me to stop, people said this isn’t something for girls,” Sambe says. “But I didn’t listen, I continued.”

Her own parents disapproved of Sambe’s penchant for dashing into the ocean to catch waves. In her Muslim family, this was frowned upon and they tried to stop her. So, Sambe would sneak out.

“I would jump out of the window and when I got back I would say, no, I was here, I was napping,” she says.

Sambe broke other social norms too. She dropped out of school at 13, and she didn’t find herself a husband when she got older. Eventually, Sambe moved in with her grandmother who supported her desire to surf and follow her dreams.

“When people would say I shouldn’t continue with surfing, [my Granny] would say, ‘Go for it, do what you want,’” she recounts.

Sambe eventually found work at a foreign-owned surf camp in Dakar. This was where Harper spotted her in a picture on Facebook, holding a surfboard.

Harper, then a reporter and a surf contest judge, was increasingly appalled at how few black women surfers there were, especially at the professional level.

“Being frustrated with not seeing people that look like me, I decided to just create something for us [where] we could see ourselves,” she says.

In 2014, Harper and a colleague launched an international contest just for surfers of African descent. She scoured the internet to find women surfers around the world, and was overjoyed when she saw Sambe’s photo.

“We started looking through West Africa and I just happened on this camp called Malika Surf Camp and there was a black woman in these photos holding a surfboard,” Harper says. “Immediately I got excited. Alright, this is Senegal, let’s do this.”

When she saw Sambe surf, she knew Sambe had talent. Harper used social media to raise money and bring Sambe to California where she could coach her.

“Her style of surfing, her ability to read the waves, is second to none,” Harper says of Sambe’s surfing. “She surfs just as well as the men.”

According to Harper, the biggest hurdle for talented surfers like Sambe who want to surf professionally is having enough money to go to qualifying events around the world. An average surfer spends anywhere between $50,000 to $60,000 a year in travel, fees and equipment, Harper estimates.

“It is absolutely an elite sport and there needs to be a change,” she says.

But competing in these contests is key to Sambe’s dream to represent Senegal at the 2020 Olympics. For Sambe to qualify, she has to get herself to places like Japan and Peru to compete, which the Senegalese surfer can’t do on her own. So her coach, Harper, is now fundraising through GoFundMe and Facebook so that Sambe can travel to compete and earn the necessary points to be in contention.

While in California, Sambe’s training regimen includes finding waves up and down the California coast, from Santa Cruz beach in Northern California down to Venice and San Diego.

The only other black women she has surfed with have been through Harper’s organization, Black Girls Surf.

Harper says young women of color need more than just support and coaching to surf. She has found herself acting as security for her surfers who’ve been harassed out on the ocean by white surfers.

“I see the aggression before they go in,” Harper says. Her surfers often ask her to come in the water and surf with them. But she doesn’t, for one big reason, “I stay out of the water for their protection,” she says.

Harper says she has a “bird’s eye view” from the sand, which she loses when she's on a surfboard.

The world of surfing is known to be extremely territorial. Local surfers don’t like people from elsewhere crowding their surf breaks. But Harper says what black women surfers experience is beyond what’s known as localism.

“I’ve never seen someone harassed as much as Khadjou [is harassed] in the water,” Harper says. “It’s the microaggression, it’s the subtle cutting off. It’s the subtleness of the aggression. [But] some are overt [and] they will just run you right over.”

Harper calls it “Surfing While Black.”

Sambe has had to adjust to being treated aggressively in the water.

“In Santa Cruz, I get snaked a lot,” Sambe says. Getting snaked is when another surfer cuts in or jumps the queue of surfers waiting for a wave. “I wonder if it is because I am black. I wasn’t sure why they were doing it,” Sambe says.

Then, late last year when Sambe was surfing at Venice Beach in Southern California, a white surfer pulled the cord attaching Sambe’s friend’s ankle to her board, causing her to spill, she says.

Again, she wonders why it happened.

“We thought it was maybe because we were black.
We don’t know. In Senegal that doesn’t happen,” Sambe says.

That incident happened to be caught on camera by a video crew from NBC who was out that day shooting the black women surfers.

“The person who pulled the leash had talked to my colleague at the time and asked what [we] were shooting, my colleague responded, ‘We’re shooting with Black Girls Surf.’ [The surfer] said some, not-so endearing things. You know, called them a joke, and then a few moments later the leash pull happened,” says Jeff Mercado, with NBC and one of the reporters at Venice that day. “Once we added things together, we came to the conclusion that this wasn’t done on accident. This was very intentional, he had intent.”

Harper views localism as another form of colonialism.

“The beaches are being re-colonized by white males,”
she said. “The thing about localism that cracks me up is that you truly can’t say that you own this beach or this is your area. That’s public property.”

The Venice leash-pulling incident went viral, and Harper said she began to receive threats. People accused her of using the incident to slander surfing and profit from it, she says. This baffles Harper as it was her surfer who was the victim, but Harper now employs a security guard if she and her surfers go to Venice.

Harper’s preferred beach in Los Angeles is a spot at Santa Monica called Inkwell, where she and Sambe were training on Sunday morning.

“This was a segregated beach during the Jim Crow area, 200-square-foot, roped-off area for Negros only,” Harper says.

Inkwell was one of only two places blacks could go to the beach in Southern California, until the Civil Rights Act of 1964 outlawed segregation.

“So this is a historical beach,” she said, “[Inkwell] feels like home.”

After Sambe paddles out she doesn’t jump right into the fray of surfers catching waves. When she finally does, she rides it smoothly, causing Harper to thrust her fist in the air and declare, “Yes! That was good.”

Harper also has a critique of her surfer. “She didn’t switch stance,” Harper says. Something to work on, the coach notes.

From the tower right behind, a lifeguard comes out and approaches Harper.

Remy Smith, a captain with the Los Angeles County Fire Department Ocean Lifeguard Division, is also watching Sambe catch the wave and is impressed.

“I came out from my tower because I saw some African American females surfing, and you don’t see that very often, and it was pretty cool to see them ripping down the wave,” Smith says.

Smith himself is African American (and half Australian) and he says he doesn’t see many black women surfers.

He says part of the problem is that unlike when he was a kid, swimming isn’t taught in school anymore.

“Because of all the budget cutbacks, you have be a little bit more persistent or affluent to have access to those pools to learn how to swim,” Smith says.

He admires Sambe’s tenacity. He knows well what it is like to be the only person of color in the water.

While Sambe is hungry to surf in the Olympics, she also hopes other young black girls will see her riding a wave and feel like they too can get out there.

“It is so amazing that I am here training [with] Black Girls Surf,” she says. “I am here for my country, I am here for Africa, I am here for Black Girls Surf [to] represent black people.”

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901680
01/21/19 02:51 PM
01/21/19 02:51 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

I am sensitive to the struggles of oppressed, but this woman is straight up bitch.

Last edited by mundus; 01/21/19 03:12 PM.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901683
01/21/19 02:55 PM
01/21/19 02:55 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Good grief.

“This is a bad day for the news media. Let’s not kid ourselves,” Toobin said on CNN. “The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and they’re willing to lie to do it.”
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901695
01/21/19 03:19 PM
01/21/19 03:19 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Wasn't the "white male" Brazilian?

And what makes Harper qualified to "coach"?

No outsider has ever understood the surfing culture.

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901711
01/21/19 03:50 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

exactly - white when its convenient...

one thing surfing taught me is to not be a victim.....pssh. people aren't taking 'your' waves - you're not taking the wave!

lets see some footage of Khadjou surfing.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: ghostshaper] #2901712
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

A large percentage of Brazil's population are white males. Including the gentleman in question.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901714
01/21/19 03:51 PM
01/21/19 03:51 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

A large percentage of Brazil's population are white males. Including the gentleman in question.

so are a large % of Mexicans and other Latin American countries, but usually they are labeled brown.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901716
01/21/19 03:54 PM
01/21/19 03:54 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

If you suck at surfing, if you're in the way, if you're clueless, if you're an outsider and you paddle into a group of regulars you are going to have problems and its got nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin.

This entire incident with the brazilian wasn't about race. It was a collision of two idiots.

“This is a bad day for the news media. Let’s not kid ourselves,” Toobin said on CNN. “The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and they’re willing to lie to do it.”
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GromsDad] #2901717
01/21/19 03:57 PM
01/21/19 03:57 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
This thread needs an old Native American man beating a drum.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GromsDad] #2901719
01/21/19 03:58 PM
01/21/19 03:58 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
If you suck at surfing, if you're in the way, if you're clueless, if you're an outsider and you paddle into a group of regulars you are going to have problems and its got nothing to do with the color of anyone's skin.

This entire incident with the brazilian wasn't about race. It was a collision of two idiots.

I want to see the surfing. Is there video?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901724
01/21/19 04:01 PM
01/21/19 04:01 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

OMG click on the link

theres a picture of her doing a turn - doesn't look terrible

theres a picture of a 'white male' paddling in the foreground while she waits for a wave - painting it as malicious

these people are stirring stuff up for attention. this is totally ridiculous

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901726
01/21/19 04:02 PM
01/21/19 04:02 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

she didn't switch stance........

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901728
01/21/19 04:03 PM
01/21/19 04:03 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

her coach needs to correct her paddling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUZ89sXhpJY

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GWS] #2901730
01/21/19 04:05 PM
01/21/19 04:05 PM
Neck deep
H
HarryLopez Offline
Phil Edwards status
HarryLopez  Offline
Phil Edwards status
H

Neck deep
Originally Posted By: GWS
This thread needs an old Native American man beating a drum.

And more MAGA hats.

I knew my eggs was headed for dat big omelette in da sky!
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: rts265] #2901731
01/21/19 04:06 PM
01/21/19 04:06 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: rts265

so are a large % of Mexicans and other Latin American countries, but usually they are labeled brown.

There's an unusual phenomenon you can see in the US where you consider yourself white European in your country of origin but told you are brown in the US.

My Colombian brother in law (born here in the US) has always insisted he is brown, despite the family being whiter than white. Referring to himself as a person of color, oppressed, etc.

I always try to tell him STFU you're white, whiter than my white ass. He would shake his head and protest.

So I tell him, just wait til the family gets one of those DNA tests.

And they did.

And the test confirmed, white European as f*ck. hah Whiter than moi.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: rts265] #2901734
01/21/19 04:10 PM
01/21/19 04:10 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island

theres a picture of a 'white male' paddling in the foreground while she waits for a wave

The white male isn't wearing a wetsuit in the chilly January conditions of the South Bay.

Thus, it exhibits chestbeating toxic masculinity.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: rts265] #2901737
01/21/19 04:12 PM
01/21/19 04:12 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

her coach needs to correct her paddling

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUZ89sXhpJY

Oh good Lord. I've been surfing my whole life and if I paddled out at Steamer Lane I'd have ZERO expectations let alone if I were someone who hasn't yet figured out how to catch a wave. Photographs lie. Video can't hide the kookieness. They should go find an empty beach break for a couple of years until they figure out the basics.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GromsDad] #2901738
01/21/19 04:15 PM
01/21/19 04:15 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: rts265] #2901740
01/21/19 04:19 PM
01/21/19 04:19 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

This Olympic surfing deal is going to be interesting.
A kook teaching a Senegalese girl how to surf so she can participate in the 2020 games?
Ummmm... OK
Kind of like the Jamaican bobsled team or Eddie the Eagle.
It'll be entertaining to say the least. banghead
Kind' sick of the non-event at Venice Pier too.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901743
01/21/19 04:23 PM
01/21/19 04:23 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

I bet Ronda is getting paid out of this somehow.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901747
01/21/19 04:32 PM
01/21/19 04:32 PM
SF x Encinitas
B
bluengreen Offline
Grom
bluengreen  Offline
Grom
B

SF x Encinitas
Black people experience racism in all spaces, so it doesn't surprise me that this woman gets it in the water. That being said, she is one step above kook, so some of the aggression is probably due to that. If she ripped, it would probably only be the occasional racist asshole she has to deal with (or so thinks this white man).

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: bluengreen] #2901754
01/21/19 04:45 PM
01/21/19 04:45 PM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Originally Posted By: bluengreen
Black people experience racism in all spaces, so it doesn't surprise me that this woman gets it in the water. That being said, she is one step above kook, so some of the aggression is probably due to that. If she ripped, it would probably only be the occasional racist asshole she has to deal with (or so thinks this white man).

Agree with the above...have been surfing over 30 years...only have seen a black surfer at my local So. Cal spot a few times...NEVER a black female surfer.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: mundus] #2901756
01/21/19 04:46 PM
01/21/19 04:46 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Offline
Duke status
ifallalot  Offline
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: mundus
I bet Ronda is getting paid out of this somehow.

Soros dancing

MUELLER IS COMING batman
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901758
01/21/19 04:49 PM
01/21/19 04:49 PM
R
rts265 Online content
Miki Dora status
rts265  Online Content
Miki Dora status
R

surfing is the most unwelcoming activity, particularly in densely populated areas - up until now...

you had to be willing to fight just to walk to the sand - it really wasn't always that bad, but thats how it was

if there weren't people in the water, these people would be complaining that the ocean wasn't nice to them

BJJ/Judo where their policy is to smash any new person is more welcoming - you make it through that first beating they welcome you next class.

psssh.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: rts265] #2901760
01/21/19 04:55 PM
01/21/19 04:55 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

surfing is the most unwelcoming activity, particularly in densely populated areas - up until now...

you had to be willing to fight just to walk to the sand - it really wasn't always that bad, but thats how it was

if there weren't people in the water, these people would be complaining that the ocean wasn't nice to them

BJJ/Judo where their policy is to smash any new person is more welcoming - you make it through that first beating they welcome you next class.

psssh.
This is what the "surf coach" is missing, Surfers are generally selfish dicks who hate everybody else that surfs except them and their boys.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901761
01/21/19 04:58 PM
01/21/19 04:58 PM
TamaGringo
S
Scallywag Offline
Nep status
Scallywag  Offline
Nep status
S

TamaGringo

DON’T NAME SPOTS!
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Scallywag] #2901763
01/21/19 05:00 PM
01/21/19 05:00 PM
done
G
GWS Offline
Duke status
GWS  Offline
Duke status
G

done
Originally Posted By: Scallywag

roflmao

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901806
01/21/19 06:02 PM
01/21/19 06:02 PM
THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
C
Coat Hanger Online mad
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Online Mad
Tom Curren status
C

Does the article say if Khadjou is afraid of ghosts?

Does she have sex with her socks on?

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901811
01/21/19 06:08 PM
01/21/19 06:08 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Adult learners at the lower 15% of the learning curve are going to be at a critical disadvantage in any lineup that has more than 2 or 3 surfers.

The professional women get their waves on boards that might max out at 25 liters in volume. This coach has obviously never been there and will probably never get there. The surfer in the vid might be able to progress to boards that small someday, but there's no way it's happening by 2020.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GWS] #2901819
01/21/19 06:21 PM
01/21/19 06:21 PM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

Originally Posted By: GWS
Originally Posted By: Scallywag

roflmao

"I'm 21% victim."
roflmao

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2901822
01/21/19 06:27 PM
01/21/19 06:27 PM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal
Originally Posted By: GDaddy
Adult learners at the lower 15% of the learning curve are going to be at a critical disadvantage in any lineup that has more than 2 or 3 surfers.

The professional women get their waves on boards that might max out at 25 liters in volume. This coach has obviously never been there and will probably never get there. The surfer in the vid might be able to progress to boards that small someday, but there's no way it's happening by 2020.

Wondering what is a learning curve and where do you fall on this thing?

Also how many liters are you riding these days?

These markers you use are to be used to determine what validity your judgements have. Thanks in advance.

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: heelnipstr] #2901829
01/21/19 06:36 PM
01/21/19 06:36 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: heelnipstr

These markers you use are to be used to determine what validity your judgements have. Thanks in advance.

I'm not making the complaints this person is making or cracking wise about coaching an adult noob into competitive surfing. . I know where I am in the lineup and I'm just happy to be there and to get what I can get. As do most surfers. She's not being criticized for being a kook, she's being criticized for being clueless. And wrong.

For instance, i wouldn't even paddle a "shortboard" out in longboard conditions and then complain about being unable to get a wave from the longboarders. That's as clueless as it gets. I wouldn't pop up in Santa Cruz and complain about not getting a wave in a competitive lineup filled with locals who understand that wave way better than I ever will.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2901831
01/21/19 06:38 PM
01/21/19 06:38 PM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal

I'm not making the complaints this person is making or cracking wise about coaching an adult noob into competitive surfing. . I know where I am in the lineup and I'm just happy to be there and to get what I can get. As do most surfers. She's not being criticized for being a kook, she's being criticized for being clueless. And wrong.

For instance, i wouldn't even paddle a "shortboard" out in longboard conditions and then complain about being unable to get a wave from the longboarders. That's as clueless as it gets. I wouldn't pop up in Santa Cruz and complain about not getting a wave in a competitive lineup filled with locals who understand that wave way better than I ever will.

that's cool and all but we are looking for objective indicators here not opinions. Or in other words just answer the questions please.

If you see a Buddha in the road, ask which gender pronouns they prefer and then kill them.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2901832
01/21/19 06:39 PM
01/21/19 06:39 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island

I wonder what percent is racism and what percent Rhonda told her is racism?

I also find it interesting that the aggression is felt even before she enters the water.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901833
01/21/19 06:41 PM
01/21/19 06:41 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
I've got 25+ years on that coach and I surf smaller boards than she surfs.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: heelnipstr] #2901834
01/21/19 06:42 PM
01/21/19 06:42 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island

that's cool and all but we are looking for objective indicators here not opinions. Or in other words just answer the questions please.

"How many liters are you riding?"

lol

Funny how up until shaping machines came about # of liters was irrelevant.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2901835
01/21/19 06:43 PM
01/21/19 06:43 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
I've got 25+ years on that coach and I surf smaller boards than she surfs.

Dude, but how many liters are you on???????!

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: heelnipstr] #2901843
01/21/19 06:54 PM
01/21/19 06:54 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad

This is the only performance-style board I own at this point, and it's more of an alt-design. 6.2 x 20, about 37L. Then again, I'm over 60 so I've obviously got much smaller boards in my history. Even so, there's no way either of those women are getting a wave on a board this size.

And like I said, I'd never even open my mouth about being unable to compete for waves because I know better. Most surfers know better.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901872
01/21/19 07:19 PM
01/21/19 07:19 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

So being unable to catch 2 ft waves on a midlength is Olympic qualifying?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901873
01/21/19 07:20 PM
01/21/19 07:20 PM
B
BillyOcean Offline
Tom Curren status
BillyOcean  Offline
Tom Curren status
B

Also, I’ve never seen a surf coach before

Are most of them fat?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: BillyOcean] #2901880
01/21/19 07:25 PM
01/21/19 07:25 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

Are most of them fat?

Have you seen PT lately? He's 3rd trimester.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: BillyOcean] #2901891
01/21/19 07:45 PM
01/21/19 07:45 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: BillyOcean

Are most of them fat?

roflmao roflmao roflmao

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901892
01/21/19 07:47 PM
01/21/19 07:47 PM
Southern Tip, Norcal
H
heelnipstr Offline
Miki Dora status
heelnipstr  Offline
Miki Dora status
H

Southern Tip, Norcal

"How many liters are you riding?"

lol

Funny how up until shaping machines came about # of liters was irrelevant.

SoCal HPSB. around 32-34
And if someone would explain what this objective learning curve is I might be able to give some made up %tile.
But remember We are not competing here.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901897
01/21/19 07:54 PM
01/21/19 07:54 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
I handshape. And make my own fins. So I probably look at boards a bit differently than you do. Sue me.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2901907
01/21/19 08:27 PM
01/21/19 08:27 PM
Yosemite
O
Oakleys_N_Zinka Offline
Michael Peterson status
Oakleys_N_Zinka  Offline
Michael Peterson status
O

Yosemite
Microaggression gimme a break. Surfing is filled with tons of regular sized aggressions toward all people. This shit is just a term people use to validate their own cognitive distortions.

Nobody puts Bodhi in the corner.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Oakleys_N_Zinka] #2901915
01/21/19 08:49 PM
01/21/19 08:49 PM
SOC CA
R
Rickoray Offline
Tom Curren status
Rickoray  Offline
Tom Curren status
R

SOC CA
Keep your pig off the race track.

Black, White, Brown, Pink or Purple... LGBQTXYZ... that chick has ZERO chance of making the cut for the Olympics.

Stock-oray
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: bigsurfer67] #2902030
01/22/19 02:53 AM
01/22/19 02:53 AM
East of Malibu
W
Witchipoo Offline
Michael Peterson status
Witchipoo  Offline
Michael Peterson status
W

East of Malibu
Originally Posted By: bigsurfer67

...have been surfing over 30 years...only have seen a black surfer at my local So. Cal spot a few times...NEVER a black female surfer.

confused2 There are quite a few African-american regulars at the spots I used to surf. Some of them are women. I mean, people I used to see all the time, back when I used to surf. Last year. bawling

I am rooting for this African chick, can you imagine what it would take to go up against your entire culture? - but Rhonda strikes me as a self-promoting, attention-whoring scam artist.

. . . and your little dog, too!
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Witchipoo] #2902043
01/22/19 03:37 AM
01/22/19 03:37 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Originally Posted By: Witchipoo

...have been surfing over 30 years...only have seen a black surfer at my local So. Cal spot a few times...NEVER a black female surfer.

confused2 There are quite a few African-american regulars at the spots I used to surf. Some of them are women. I mean, people I used to see all the time, back when I used to surf. Last year. bawling

I am rooting for this African chick, can you imagine what it would take to go up against your entire culture? - but Rhonda strikes me as a self-promoting, attention-whoring scam artist.

Good to know there is some diversity there...rooting for her also & agree with you. Only pro level black rippers I've heard of are Buttons (RIP) who was half, and that Holder guy that rips Soupbowl in Barbados. Any other black rippers out there?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902044
01/22/19 03:43 AM
01/22/19 03:43 AM
P
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status
patrolman  Offline
Miki Dora status
P

I've been surfing 45 years and the only thing I would expect when I paddle out at the Lane is stink eye and drop ins....and maybe, if I was lucky, a few insiders....if the groms are feeling generous.

She's training for the olympics in...Santa Monica. roflmao I've never seen decent surf in SM despite having lived in LA County all my life. Someone should sponsor her for a go out at 12 foot Sunset (Beach not Boulevard). Maybe she'll give up surfing after that.

p.s. where I grew up there was one black kid who surfed (pretty good too). Ironically his name was Daryl White. I saw a guy who was his buddy back then and asked about him. He told me, "Daryl's a lawyer. His mom made him quite surfing because she thought surfers were lazy, pot smoking trash."

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: bigsurfer67] #2902055
01/22/19 04:56 AM
01/22/19 04:56 AM
C
Coat Hanger Online mad
Tom Curren status
Coat Hanger  Online Mad
Tom Curren status
C

Good to know there is some diversity there...rooting for her also & agree with you. Only pro level black rippers I've heard of are Buttons (RIP) who was half, and that Holder guy that rips Soupbowl in Barbados. Any other black rippers out there?

Mikey February seems to have it figured out.

Last edited by Coat Hanger; 01/22/19 05:00 AM.

Originally Posted By: StuAzole
The deference given to veterans is insane. They signed up, did their job and got paid for it. Fine.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2902059
01/22/19 05:23 AM
Your mom’s house
D
Duffy Online content
Phil Edwards status
Duffy  Online Content
Phil Edwards status
D

Your mom’s house
Quote:
This is the only performance-style board I own at this point, and it's more of an alt-design. 6.2 x 20, about 37L. Then again, I'm over 60 so I've obviously got much smaller boards in my history. Even so, there's no way either of those women are getting a wave on a board this size.

And like I said, I'd never even open my mouth about being unable to compete for waves because I know better. Most surfers know better.

If I ever see you, a 60 plus dude on that board, at my local break I’ll let you have any wave you want.

I’ll block for you. I’ll tell the whole lineup to stand down and give the field to you.

Over 60, on a short board....

Respect....

“No eternal reward will forgive us now for wasting the dawn”

- The Wasp
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902060
S
surfy1476 Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
surfy1476  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
S

There's an unusual phenomenon you can see in the US where you consider yourself white European in your country of origin but told you are brown in the US.

My Colombian brother in law (born here in the US) has always insisted he is brown, despite the family being whiter than white. Referring to himself as a person of color, oppressed, etc.

I always try to tell him STFU you're white, whiter than my white ass. He would shake his head and protest.

So I tell him, just wait til the family gets one of those DNA tests.

And they did.

And the test confirmed, white European as f*ck. hah Whiter than moi.

There are such thing as white Latinos. Mexico tends to be about 10% purebred euro. Brazil a little more, although they also include most Castizos as white. As far as “white there, brown here” goes... if you are brown you are brown. Just because some Latin Americans may be considered white in their home country compared to an Indio doesn’t mean you are white. Jesse mendes = white. Gabe Medina = mestizo.

As for the article, all I can say is: black fragility.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902061
01/22/19 05:32 AM
01/22/19 05:32 AM
Sunny Coast Qld Australia
R
Retropete Offline
Miki Dora status
Retropete  Offline
Miki Dora status
R

Sunny Coast Qld Australia
Just more clowns attempting to milk glory and $s out of surfing.
They managed to play the fiscally challenged, religion, gender and race cards in a single gripefest!

Caution: excessive Kool Aid consumption may lead to a bitter aftertaste!
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902067
01/22/19 06:30 AM
01/22/19 06:30 AM
Wrong side of the tracks Leuca...
M
MelesMeles Offline
Nep status
MelesMeles  Offline
Nep status
M

Wrong side of the tracks Leuca...
You guys forgot Maurice Cole and Marvin Foster.

Surfing and skateboarding are probably two of the most egalitarian sports there is. Minimal equipment and the only way to learn really is to get out and crash and burn until you get it. For surfing the only caveat is that you just need to get to the coast somehow, but plenty of people of all stripes manage to do that too with motivation.

These days you can find a ton of instructional YouTube videos to watch for free and there’s more used boards and wetsuits in circulation than any time in history.

In summary the only thing people really care about is whether you are a Kook or not. shark

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Coat Hanger] #2902069
01/22/19 06:41 AM
01/22/19 06:41 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Originally Posted By: Coat Hanger

Mikey February seems to have it figured out.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/p-YvFEtkJKQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Mikey February rips! Like his style!

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Witchipoo] #2902074
01/22/19 09:49 AM
01/22/19 09:49 AM
Lahaina
L
LelandCuz Offline
Nep status
LelandCuz  Offline
Nep status
L

Lahaina

It seems to me the main hurdles in the way of her dreams were religious and societal in her own country. How they decided that white guys in SoCal are the problem is beyond me. If Rhonda wants to create a black female Olympic surfer she needs to start with someone much younger or already much better cuz that woman is too old and fat to ever compete on the QS, let alone not embarrass herself at the Olympics. I see plenty black or blackish girls on Maui who are much better.

Last edited by LelandCuz; 01/22/19 09:51 AM.

Keep the Country country
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902087
01/22/19 12:17 PM
01/22/19 12:17 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

That lady couldn't win the Women's Division at a local level WSA contest unless is was one where no other women or groms moms signed up to surf the heat.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: bigsurfer67] #2902118
01/22/19 02:44 PM
01/22/19 02:44 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

The Wilmots, all of 'em.

Growing up in Santa Monica we had a black kid that kinda' was a mascot, his name was Dexter (RVBL probably knows who I'm talking about) God, we gave him a lot of $hit in a friendly way.
Any ways he ended up moving over to Maui and became an absolute ripper.
Can't forget Wayne S. either, last I saw him he was still hitting the Bay and Windmills in his 60's

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902134
01/22/19 03:21 PM
01/22/19 03:21 PM
M
mundus Offline
Miki Dora status
mundus  Offline
Miki Dora status
M

The whole thing is an attention seeking farce, and guess what? We are talking about it.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902137
01/22/19 03:24 PM
01/22/19 03:24 PM
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Hiya Old School SBSteve!
Dexter Green, Wayne Saunders...
PK would still give a shout~out to these boyz
a few years back as we'd shoot~thee~sheeee-it at Bay Street
when the sandbars formed after the rains...

Here's a lil' bit of Dexter, yea!
From the ghetto to paradise
http://www.angelfire.com/ca2/dtown/dextergreen.html
jam_on

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902139
01/22/19 03:25 PM
01/22/19 03:25 PM
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
A

buoys.

the onus is on the rider.

buoys dont last out there.

example: what happens to a buoy at Pipe?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902146
01/22/19 03:42 PM
01/22/19 03:42 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Thanks for that RWVBWL!
What a great write up. He looks the same as he did in his teens.
I saw Wayne at RJ's paddle-out last year, he looks great.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Duffy] #2902197
01/22/19 05:14 PM
01/22/19 05:14 PM
Location Location
Y
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status
youcantbeserious  Offline
Michael Peterson status
Y

Location Location
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:

If I ever see you, a 60 plus dude on that board, at my local break I’ll let you have any wave you want.

I’ll block for you. I’ll tell the whole lineup to stand down and give the field to you.

Respect....

Same. Good on you man, that ain't easy.

I've been banned from better websites than this one.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Duffy] #2902202
01/22/19 05:29 PM
01/22/19 05:29 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: Duffy
Quote:

Respect....

Meh - I would never ask and I have no interest in getting over on anyone anyway. I know my place in the lineup and I'm just happy to get a couple off to the side when I can. I've had my day and I was never more than a recreational surfer anyway.

And just to be clear, I only rarely surf that board and only under very specific conditions like a low tide dumping beach break where I need the additional rocker. I normally surf flatter and wider shapes, and when I have to paddle a lot I prefer more volume. My 5-10 mashup quad that I did a couple years back is actually way easier to surf, but then again that's at ~42L.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902213
01/22/19 05:46 PM
01/22/19 05:46 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
^^^ Innegra wrap in the glassing that I vacuum bagged on, and G-10 fins that I made myself, with a rout-in install - no fillet around the bases.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2902217
01/22/19 05:49 PM
01/22/19 05:49 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Going back to the original surfer, just from the few seconds in the original clip it looks like she has plenty of volume, it's just not a great shape for the conditions she's surfing in. A more eggy shape with the same length and volume would get her into way more waves in those conditions, so long as she could paddle to the right spot to catch the wave. And that's what she or anyone else at that skill level needs in order to progress - more waves.

And forget the thruster altogether at this point. MOST surfers of novice or even intermediate skill level will be unable to actively position and pump a thruster cluster well enough to make it work for them as well as a quad cluster will do. It should be illegal to sell a thruster set to a novice surfer. Almost any other fin setup will work better for them. When she can reliably get her rear foot over the rear fin to leverage the cluster then that's the time to move to a thruster, and not before.

Long story short, if the coach was at all knowledgable about surfing, teaching, or surfboards she'd keep a 2+1 or a quad egg in the 6-8 to 7-0 range on hand for her beginner surfers and have them working on the fundamentals Move that fin cluster way forward so the surfer would still have leverage on the fins even when their stance is a little too far forward. (IMO) Best if the fin cluster sizes are staggered and the board is foiled to trim and be surfed from that more foward position.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GDaddy] #2902221
01/22/19 05:54 PM
01/22/19 05:54 PM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA

That is a nice clean fin install.

applause

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Mr Doof] #2902231
01/22/19 06:16 PM
01/22/19 06:16 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof

That is a nice clean fin install.

applause

Kind of you to say. I do it differently than most people. I rout and install high density inserts into the blank before I even cut the template, then shape and glass as normal; and rout slots to install the full-length base of the fin *through* the glassjob and into the high density material. I don't hit stuff when I surf, but even if I did those fins will never break off.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902298
01/22/19 08:40 PM
01/22/19 08:40 PM
M
MrDobalina Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
MrDobalina  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
M

I acknowledge that the people of the article feel that the grander dominant culture is being reflected in the line up. I won't be another white dude telling a person of color, or a woman, or both, how they SHOULD feel or that they are wrong.

What I will say, is that the people in question are pretty kooky, so whatever they are feeling as far as intimidation goes, it is probably also valid in the sense that all people who are not good at the activity they participate in are intimidated when in the novice stage. Surfing itself has harbored the "stink eye, my wave, localism, looking down at beginners" vibe ever since it was co-opted by white males from indigenous cultures. Does that make it something to be exalted? Probably not. Have I done all of those things? Yes. Imagine if the same shit that we, as surfers, find acceptable and that others should just "understand" as a part of the culture, was present in Soccer, baseball, rock climbing, or any other activity. It starts to look pretty ludicrous. That being said, there are places that I would prefer to be somewhat exclusive, mostly for selfish, privileged reasons.

One could possibly argue that surfing has been hierarchical since its roots in Polynesia. I'm not certain of the history, but I know that some of the Polynesians that took part were allowed while others were not, but to pretend that this was a practice that was adopted, rather than instilled, would be silly.

TLDR: She ain't wrong, but she is pretty kooky.

Last edited by MrDobalina; 01/22/19 09:40 PM.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902302
01/22/19 08:45 PM
01/22/19 08:45 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Stink eye exists for good reasons and ought to be brought back for the same reasons that fighting exists in the NHL. The pussification of everything needs to stop.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902304
01/22/19 08:46 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Stink eye never left.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902305
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
the place in any line-up is earned; not given.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: obslop] #2902318
01/22/19 08:56 PM
01/22/19 08:56 PM
G
GromsDad Offline
Duke status
GromsDad  Offline
Duke status
G

Originally Posted By: obslop

These days people are entitled though. They got a participation trophy before and mommy told them they were special.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GromsDad] #2902321
01/22/19 08:59 PM
01/22/19 08:59 PM
san diego, CA
O
obslop Offline
Phil Edwards status
obslop  Offline
Phil Edwards status
O

san diego, CA
Originally Posted By: obslop

These days people are entitled though. They got a participation trophy before and mommy told them they were special.

once someone actually puts some time into surfing though (e.g., 10 of more years), the ways of the line-up start to be understood and it's all good. problems arise when those without that knowledge ignorantly assume that their perspective is correct (e.g., our coach and olympic hopeful).

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902325
01/22/19 09:02 PM
01/22/19 09:02 PM
T
Topeslide Offline
Grom
Topeslide  Offline
Grom
T

I look like a white male (half asian-upper half-I know what your filthy minds are thinking) and I experience what Ms Harper calls microagression, not all of the time but enough that I learned to ignore it and not ruin my session. It happens to everyone (kelly slater by gabriel medina), so get over it.
I paddle out mostly in the south bay but I have been burned by some African American regulars at First Point and Old Mans, but the first thought in my head is not that they are racist (when I look more Asian). Even at my local South Bay spots I see a few African Americans and they are scrapping out there with everyone. There is an older African American lady on a surf mat and all of the White Males give her maximum respect.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902327
01/22/19 09:07 PM
01/22/19 09:07 PM
Carlsbad
G
GDaddy Offline
Duke status
GDaddy  Offline
Duke status
G

Carlsbad
"The ocean is for everyone", says the swimmer who is treading water right where everyone needs to do their bottom turn. They're not wrong about the resource, but they sure are in the way.

#sowhat
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902359
01/22/19 10:13 PM
01/22/19 10:13 PM
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
92122  Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Leave it to Casa to put up a politically charged 6 page runner... applause2 roflmao

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902375
01/22/19 10:36 PM
01/22/19 10:36 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

black people are the same color as seals

which are eaten by racist great WHITE sharks....

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902489
01/23/19 03:18 AM
01/23/19 03:18 AM
T
Topeslide Offline
Grom
Topeslide  Offline
Grom
T

Was anyone else offended that Ms Harper called you a racist and is stereotyping?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: Topeslide] #2902497
01/23/19 03:51 AM
01/23/19 03:51 AM
Trona
K
keenfish Offline
Duke status
keenfish  Offline
Duke status
K

Trona
Originally Posted By: Topeslide
Was anyone else offended that Ms Harper called you a racist and is stereotyping?

I have never looked at a person and judged them or treated them differently by the color of their skin.

Ms. Harper on the other hand is doing exactly that so who is the racist here?

Pardon me while I leave this conversation to turn on the WET channel. Oh. wait.. my bad. I meant the BET channel.

¯\_(''/)_/¯

Kids! Throw them to the gorillas! ~Autoprax
Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: GromsDad] #2902499
01/23/19 03:58 AM
01/23/19 03:58 AM
LA
N
NDG80 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
NDG80  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

LA
Stink eye exists for good reasons and ought to be brought back for the same reasons that fighting exists in the NHL. The pussification of everything needs to stop.

Stinkeye and barking is still very much a thing around here. For or better or worse, now adays it never gets any further than that.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902507
01/23/19 04:30 AM
01/23/19 04:30 AM
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

I agree with lots of the view~points expressed here.
BUT that said, allow me to reverse the scenerio, ok?
Say that the line~ups have mostly black surfers out there,
and you, still in the beginner to intermediate stage of ability, wanna paddle out + ride some waves too. Think that you might not feel a lil' intimidated being a white surfer, maybe not knowing anyone else out there in the water either?

Yea, bet you would.
You're white, + probably don't believe me.
So go grab a basketball and hit up any public basketball court in an urban inner city. Be the only white dude there. Be curious to see if you get starred at, stink eyed, clowned, told to beat it like some surfers tell other surfers who just might also want to enjoy a public resource like ridin' waves...
jam_on

PS ~ In Sept. of '96,
I had to go to court for fighting on the sand at Venice Beach. This was the anniversary month of my 20th year of having learned how to surf at this same beach, of being a local. Prosecutors did not like localism, nor what they might interpret as being such, even waaay back then. Especially so for 1 very large, black female prosecutor who 1st had my case. You will learn quick that No One owns the waves that you, I, everyone else likes to ride. Go argue it with your attorney and The Court if ya do not believe me. Localism, stink eye, what~ever ya wanna call it, is just a form of modern day segregation: "YOU can't surf here, because, well I said so, + your board is the wrong length, brand, style, color, you're from a different town, you are a kook, etc, etc, on+on+on...
See ya.
wave2
RW

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902511
01/23/19 05:05 AM
01/23/19 05:05 AM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: RWVBWL
I agree with lots of the view~points expressed here.
BUT that said, allow me to reverse the scenerio, ok?
Say that the line~ups have mostly black surfers out there,
and you, still in the beginner to intermediate stage of ability, wanna paddle out + ride some waves too. Think that you might not feel a lil' intimidated being a white surfer, maybe not knowing anyone else out there in the water either?

That's not a reverse scenario, that's an invented scenario.

In Southern California - the location being referenced in the article - the lineup is somewhat diverse culturally/racially.

IMO - both in my observation and having been the obvious minority in the lineup before - outside Hawaii that racial shit does not exist in the lineup.

Quote:
Yea, bet you would.
You're white, + probably don't believe me.
So go grab a basketball and hit up any public basketball court in an urban inner city. Be the only white dude there. Be curious to see if you get starred at, stink eyed, clowned, told to beat it like some surfers tell other surfers who just might also want to enjoy a public resource like ridin' waves...
jam_on

I've spent a decent portion of my youth and parts of my 20s in the "urban inner city."
The "stink eye" you get in the African American 'hood as pretty much any lighter skinned group - white, Asian, mestizo - is serious shit. "What the fck you doin here, this ain't your part of town." "You're gonna get the fvck beat the f*ck out of you if you don't split. We ain't playin'." And they absolutely will.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902524
01/23/19 06:15 AM
01/23/19 06:15 AM
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Right on man, I bow down to your wisdom,
I mean if you say it is so, well it's gotta be true, right?
bowdown

So ah,
how many black surfers do you personally know? Know any from when times were grittier, '70's, '80's, pre~cell phone/cell camera dayz when fighting over a wave, local surf turf, maybe even the color of some~ones skin was happenin' more often back then due to the crowded conditions? If you know any black surfers, bet that they are probably not kooks nor beginning surfers, right, for from what I gather, you really don't like kooks or beginners, don't give 'em a tip or 2, even a wave, would ya agree? Please tell more about how black surfers should be, or how black beginners+kooks are supposed to behave, ok? See ya...

PS ~ 3rd grade, our Family moved to Inglewood, beginning of The '70's, lived there a year.
As 1 of the few white kids, a red haired freckled~faced kid catchin' the bus to a black elementary school right near The Forum, well I learned some things. Same too with growing up a surfer in Venice, a ghetto, in some parts, by the Sea. And so ah, I'm curious, where did you learn to surf at? Do you ever casually talk about race + what it was like for them to grow up surfin' in a white dominated surf culture here on Thee Mainland? Betcha The BSA's Ricky Blocker, Tony Corley, David Lansdowne, many others too could enlighten us all further if Surfer Magazine talked with 'em.

Have a look at this from Rick:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blacksurfing/with/4165028580/
there's people who might not surf as good as you do out there, still having fun!!!
wave2

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902526
01/23/19 06:26 AM
01/23/19 06:26 AM
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Betcha The BSA's Ricky Blocker, Tony Corley, David Lansdowne, many others too could enlighten us all further if Surfer Magazine talked with 'em.

Well, well, well, look~ie here!
It's 1983, Tom Curren is kickin' arse Down~Under,
and Surfer is gonna talk about
Black Surfers:
An Exclusive Report

I wonder if Black Surfing Association's Tony Corley got to talk of this below, in that interview:

F**kin' gnarly...

Link:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/blacksurfing/with/4165049350/
See ya.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902527
01/23/19 06:51 AM
01/23/19 06:51 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Great clip about Racism in Surfing here and the African-American experience...love to see people break stereotypes of any kind! Reading the comments...you can see what they have to overcome as black surfers...

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902530
01/23/19 08:07 AM
01/23/19 08:07 AM
B
bigsurfer67 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
bigsurfer67  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
B

Another Black surfer Mikey February...shattering stereotypes!! A ripper with style!

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902531
01/23/19 09:54 AM
01/23/19 09:54 AM
A
acnjusa Offline
Michael Peterson status
acnjusa  Offline
Michael Peterson status
A

next: blacks winning at the pool.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902543
01/23/19 01:15 PM
01/23/19 01:15 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Right on man, I bow down to your wisdom,
I mean if you say it is so, well it's gotta be true, right?
bowdown

No, if you say it's so It's gotta be true.

Quote:
So ah,
how many black surfers do you personally know? Know any from when times were grittier, '70's, '80's, pre~cell phone/cell camera dayz when fighting over a wave, local surf turf, maybe even the color of some~ones skin was happenin' more often back then due to the crowded conditions? If you know any black surfers, bet that they are probably not kooks nor beginning surfers, right, for from what I gather, you really don't like kooks or beginners, don't give 'em a tip or 2, even a wave, would ya agree? Please tell more about how black surfers should be, or how black beginners+kooks are supposed to behave, ok? See ya...

Speak English.

Also, we are talking about the present, not the events of 30 - 40+ years ago.

I regularly see black surfers at Trestles and Scripps and they appeared to be enjoying themselves unhindered. I did, however, surf with Elishama Beckford not too long ago and can his out of control behavior in the water needed to be hindered, quite badly.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: RWVBWL] #2902545
01/23/19 01:26 PM
01/23/19 01:26 PM
Petak Island
C
Duke status
Duke status
C

Petak Island

I wonder if Black Surfing Association's Tony Corley got to talk of this below, in that interview:

F**kin' gnarly...

Yes, indeed fckin gnarly.

The last time I saw Tony Corley he looked like he was pushing 60, that was probably 10 years ago, so he's what, probably 70 by now?

Which would make that little note, considering the tone and spelling, probably written sometime in the early 60s. Over half a century ago.

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2902976
01/24/19 12:50 AM
01/24/19 12:50 AM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

i often get assholes paddling out next to me when i am way down the beach all alone, like i prefer

and i wonder.... are they ruining my day just because i am half Polish?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: 000] #2903056
01/24/19 04:08 AM
01/24/19 04:08 AM
B
BrownFish Offline
Michael Peterson status
BrownFish  Offline
Michael Peterson status
B

Originally Posted By: 000
i often get assholes paddling out next to me when i am way down the beach all alone, like i prefer

Dude, why you gotta mention me all the time?

Re: Surf coach:"The beaches are being re-colonized by white males.”; employs security guards to surf California beaches:.. [Re: BrownFish] #2903912
01/25/19 08:28 PM
01/25/19 08:28 PM
000 Offline
Duke status
000  Offline
Duke status

Originally Posted By: BrownFish
Originally Posted By: 000

Dude, why you gotta mention me all the time?

only a "brown" fish would say that

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32