REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Carbon boards [Re: surfbum00] #2899578
01/17/19 03:01 AM
01/17/19 03:01 AM
B
bvendley Offline
Grom
bvendley  Offline
Grom
B

I've got a carbon micro light and one of the newer white bi-ax cloth boards. Both are stringer-less, shaped by Manny and vacuum bagged by JT.
I'm a fan but forgive me, I'm relatively new at surfing, these boards probably represent my 12-15th boards. I'm not so confident I'm picking up on all the flex characteristics quite yet.
The microlight I have is relatively thin/foiled and to me, feels great. I find that the board excels in small waves with a little chop, reminds me of how a well dampened snowboard handles crusty conditions. I feel like the board helps smooth me out? But maybe that's in my head.
The newer bi-ax board I have is also relatively thin but also has a concave deck. This board has a bit more flex or rebound I should say because the center of the board is thinned out; creating a sort of parabolic stringer effect with the rails.This is subtle, but if anything I think this board is more dampened/calm than my other boards. Maybe it's the shape not the construction, I don't know. I've only surfed this board 7-8 times but so far I love it.
Manny says the bi-ax is super strong and is roughly equivalent in strength to 2x6ounce on both top and bottom but with much better flex. It's too early to say but so far, I agree. I'm pretty heavy footed and both boards are still pristine.
All of my other boards are poly, my take away is that I probably wouldn't wan't a stringer-less carbon microlight/bi-ax as a step up but for everything under head high I think you'll be stoked.
The white bi-ax is very white but up close you can see some cloth layers/lines and occasionally you get some dark speckles/spots. I was told that one cant see the spots until glassing so sometimes you get none, sometimes you 3-4. I'll try to take some pics in the morning and share but from a distance it just looks like a new white stringer-less poly board.

Re: Carbon boards [Re: surfbum00] #2899616
01/17/19 05:07 AM
01/17/19 05:07 AM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content
Duke status
S

Tower 13
I want something in this construction. I've been more than impressed feeling them up in person.

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Carbon boards [Re: surfbum00] #2900294
01/18/19 04:07 PM
01/18/19 04:07 PM
Santa Cruz/UK/Florida
T
twinzerfan Offline
Billy Hamilton status
twinzerfan  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
T

Santa Cruz/UK/Florida
It's the vacuum bagging that makes them light, as you know. Justin has the dialed.

Carbon fiber is the same weight as any other cloth - you order it 4 os, 6oz, 10 oz whatever you want. The weight is the same as e glass. What give you the weight loss is lower density core, and no excess resin because the bag squeezes it out. You could get a super light 4/4//4 poly/pu if you bagged it too.

Sorry if i'm being pedantic, but it bugs me when people say that "carbon is light, or epoxy that." There's a lot more too it.

By the way, I would love to get a board done in Justin's craft. They're gorgeous. Also Drew at Inspired does some crazy layups as well.

Re: Carbon boards [Re: surfbum00] #2900723
01/19/19 04:03 AM
01/19/19 04:03 AM
G
ghostshaper Offline
Miki Dora status
ghostshaper  Offline
Miki Dora status
G

View this post on Instagram

The word devastated comes to mind

A post shared by Tony Harris (@_n.4.s_) on

Organized competition is entirely peripheral to surfing qua surfing. People surf for love. - William Finnegan
Re: Carbon boards [Re: ghostshaper] #2900735
01/19/19 04:18 AM
01/19/19 04:18 AM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
Booooooooooo

NOT THAT KIND
Re: Carbon boards [Re: need 4 speed] #2900749
01/19/19 04:35 AM
01/19/19 04:35 AM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Damn cabron!

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Carbon boards [Re: twinzerfan] #2901049
01/19/19 09:11 PM
01/19/19 09:11 PM
X
xmesa Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
xmesa  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
X

Originally Posted By: twinzerfan
It's the vacuum bagging that makes them light, as you know. Justin has the dialed.

Carbon fiber is the same weight as any other cloth - you order it 4 os, 6oz, 10 oz whatever you want. The weight is the same as e glass. What give you the weight loss is lower density core, and no excess resin because the bag squeezes it out. You could get a super light 4/4//4 poly/pu if you bagged it too.

good point... although im pretty sure carbon cloth has different properties at different weights than other cloth, so being able to use a lighter cloth (that theoretically is stronger at the same weight) would also contribute to a lighter finished product. (and it seems like a more dent-resistant product)

Re: Carbon boards [Re: xmesa] #2901063
01/19/19 09:58 PM
01/19/19 09:58 PM
SoCal
N
need 4 speed Offline
Miki Dora status
need 4 speed  Offline
Miki Dora status
N

SoCal
Very dent resistant in my experience (carbon)

NOT THAT KIND
Re: Carbon boards [Re: xmesa] #2901081
01/20/19 12:03 AM
01/20/19 12:03 AM
Santa Cruz/UK/Florida
T
twinzerfan Offline
Billy Hamilton status
twinzerfan  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
T

Santa Cruz/UK/Florida
Originally Posted By: xmesa

good point... although im pretty sure carbon cloth has different properties at different weights than other cloth, so being able to use a lighter cloth (that theoretically is stronger at the same weight) would also contribute to a lighter finished product. (and it seems like a more dent-resistant product)

also very true

I think it's also important to point out that carbon fiber is strong in tensile strength - as in it does not stretch. Things like kevlar are stronger in compression, hence their use in bullet proof things.

Most guys doing composite work, including surfboards are placing the materials where they can best use their inherent properties. I've never really understood the carbon fiber deck only boards, due to the desk needing to be strong in compression, not tensile/elongation. Something like kevlar would be better. But, there's ways around everything...

Re: Carbon boards [Re: twinzerfan] #2902758
01/23/19 07:46 PM
01/23/19 07:46 PM
N
nagual Offline
Grom
nagual  Offline
Grom
N

Originally Posted By: twinzerfan
Originally Posted By: xmesa

also very true

I think it's also important to point out that carbon fiber is strong in tensile strength - as in it does not stretch. Things like kevlar are stronger in compression, hence their use in bullet proof things.

Most guys doing composite work, including surfboards are placing the materials where they can best use their inherent properties. I've never really understood the carbon fiber deck only boards, due to the desk needing to be strong in compression, not tensile/elongation. Something like kevlar would be better. But, there's ways around everything...

its a bit completely other way around. carbon, kevlar ( or other brandmark aramid) and also glass are excellent in tension, in particular as a non woven straight fiber (tape or UD)
the main difference is in compression where carbon is the best by far, then glass and kevlar is not working in compression at all.
\
there is possibility to make a hybrid layup like glass bottom and carbon deck and it makes some sence, but I prefere much more balanced layups. I also creased ultralight boards on the bottom while duckdiving, so some UD carbon both sides prevents buckling in compression...

its also difficult to compare glass and carbon as carbon filaments are lighter so the 6 oz carbon cloth is thicker and taking more resin even when bagged than 6oz glass.

Page 2 of 2 1 2