REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2900198 - 01/18/19 01:47 AM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
surfflexx Offline
Nep status

Loc: usa
Gromsdad, there are many exercises for shoulder rehab but to throw a bunch at you without a better understanding of the underlining issues that have causes your shoulder problems is just a shot in the dark. That said posture issues and repetitive overhead movements tend to be the culprits for surfers shoulders. Always good to have a Physical Therapist assess you to get you on the right path or the exercises you choose may either hurt you, hinder you, help you or they may be doing nothing at all. Good luck!

#2901445 - 01/20/19 04:46 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
GromsDad Online   content
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
This is interesting.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/W-HMcC8qxRM[/video]

Edited by GromsDad (01/20/19 04:48 PM)
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2901628 - 01/21/19 01:56 AM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
This is interesting.

[video:youtube]https://youtu.be/W-HMcC8qxRM[/video]

Wow. Revelation.

I surfed Saturday and in less than an hour was in pain.Shoulder to neck. I surfed for another hour because the waves were great and there was no crowd, but it was agony and ecstasy.

After surfing I was walking up the trail holding my board and I noticed the pain was completely gone. A short time later, sitting at the table eating breakfast ,I noticed I was in pain again (arm up on the table). So I stood up and walked around a bit and again the pain went away.

So what this MD is saying about the injury forcing the shoulder up and to exercise with weight pulling the shoulder down (holding my board) totally confirms what I was feeling.

Also confirms what the PT said about the tingling in my arm and hand being caused by impingment in the neck.

Going to watch that again.

Thanks Gromsdad.

#2901653 - 01/21/19 07:14 AM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
Duke status

After a year on this journey to get back to surfing pain free I realize that posture is a huge part of what caused all of this. That video also brings to mind a couple of years of bad problems I had in my mid 30s with pinched nerves in my neck that would flare up after a long session. A flare up would leave me in agony for a few days and up to two weeks of pain and muscle cramps in the muscles leading to my left shoulder and the muscles between my spine and left shoulder blade.

After 6 months of worsening shoulder pain to the point that it was becoming unbearable and to the point where I was convinced that I was going to need surgery I found a couple of stretching exercises that began the slow healing process. Realizing more and more as I work on getting better and now getting stronger that the real issue was rounded over shoulders and posture from sitting at a desk and driving a car. I find it very interesting that that video specifically mentioned getting your car seat upright with the steering wheel close. Being 6'1 I've always driven with the seat tilted back which forces me to tilt my heat forward and makes me reach for the wheel. Never thought of that but I'm going to try and correct it starting today.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2901783 - 01/21/19 12:31 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Makes me think about how I slouch on the couch in the evenings watching TV...

...and how I would take Advil after surfing for my sore shoulder (if you didn't watch the video- don't take NSAIDS as they inhibit the substance necessary to regenerate cartilage).

Also, heat not ice...I would ice.

#2901790 - 01/21/19 12:42 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
Duke status

Couldn't even estimate how many Advil (2 at a time) I took during the 6-months I was really hurting.

#2902792 - 01/23/19 03:56 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Couldn't even estimate how many Advil (2 at a time) I took during the 6-months I was really hurting.

Now you realize that was not the best thing to be doing. But yeah, it does dull the pain...

#2910596 - 02/08/19 10:15 AM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: casa_mugrienta]
Coat Hanger Offline
Rabbitt Bartholomew status

Loc: THE TERRORIST OF TERRAMAR
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
The last place someone with shoulder problems should probably be is doing typical upper body exercises in the gym.

Not true

#2910599 - 02/08/19 10:18 AM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: Mr J]
Coat Hanger Offline

Originally Posted By: Mr J
a physio said that usual dumbbell, barbell shoulder gym stuff is good coz it builds up the muscle and ligaments in the shoulders which helps protect. This sounds like what you are doing so is good.

The heavy duty stuff neglects the smaller rotator cuff muscles. The whole point of rotator cuff training is very light with high reps - almost doesn't feel like proper exercising. I like the elastic tubing ones best however I like the way this man explains how to isolate the rotator cuff muscles and avoid the bigger muscles such as delts taking over the exercise. Unlike the heavy stuff, rotator cuff can be exercised every day.

https://youtu.be/mvjQMoL246o

The muscles of the shoulder work in conjunction with and complimentary of each other. Why would you try and isolate the smaller weaker muscles (you can't) and ignore the larger and more powerful muscles? Why would you try (again, you can't) to create an imbalance in this necessary architecture?

#2910602 - 02/08/19 10:21 AM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
Coat Hanger Offline

From a recent seminar....

Its important to recognize that the model of health adopted by an individual or a practitioner ultimately guides how they interpret a given symptom, as well as what evaluation or treatment may then be pursued or offered. For example, consider the differences in diagnostic and treatment approach for the same symptom between a surgeon, a chiropractor, an acupuncturist, and a naturopath.

The traditional biomedical approach operates under three assumptions:
1. All symptoms (or illness) have a single underlying cause.
2. Disease (pathology) is always the single cause of symptoms.
3. Removal / attenuation of the pathology will result in a return to health.

Because these do not always hold true, this reductionist approach, while superficially appealing, is deeply flawed (see Wade et al. BMJ 2004)

Despite ongoing debate in the literature, weve come to like a more recent proposal by Huber et al. (2011) arguing that health is characterized by the ability to adapt and self-manage in the face of physical, emotional, and social challenges.

We like this definition due to the focus on human adaptability, resilience, and promoting self-efficacy (thereby minimizing dependence), while recognizing the role of biological, psychological, and social factors that may influence the experience & potential indications for specific treatment.

In short, we dont want you to NEED us for every single symptom, every transient ache/pain that arises in life. Our hope is to equip people with the knowledge and tools they need to self-manage as much as possible, and help guide the path as much or as little as needed towards desired goals.

#2910698 - 02/08/19 12:58 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
Wraptail Offline
Grom

Loc: Central Coast CA
Heres my 2 cents: anyone with issues should go to a friggin doctor to start and likely end up at a physical therapist.

For reference: I have arthritis in my hips, spine, had 2 disks replaced in my neck in August (could barely move right before, pain at 7-10 for a very long time.) I did everything else n going under the knife was only thing left to try. Im 47. This winter Ive been able to do 3+ hr sessions in heavy overhead ++ beach breaks in northern ca virtually pain free.

Go to a friggin doctor, if you dont like that one then go see another one. Same with PT. Dont wait, dont ask the Internet-which is like trying to get a black belt by watching YouTube videos... some guys insist on doing that type of thing. Dont be THAT guy.

#2910932 - 02/08/19 04:58 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: Coat Hanger]
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status

Originally Posted By: Coat Hanger
Originally Posted By: Mr J
a physio said that usual dumbbell, barbell shoulder gym stuff is good coz it builds up the muscle and ligaments in the shoulders which helps protect. This sounds like what you are doing so is good.

The heavy duty stuff neglects the smaller rotator cuff muscles. The whole point of rotator cuff training is very light with high reps - almost doesn't feel like proper exercising. I like the elastic tubing ones best however I like the way this man explains how to isolate the rotator cuff muscles and avoid the bigger muscles such as delts taking over the exercise. Unlike the heavy stuff, rotator cuff can be exercised every day.

https://youtu.be/mvjQMoL246o

The muscles of the shoulder work in conjunction with and complimentary of each other. Why would you try and isolate the smaller weaker muscles (you can't) and ignore the larger and more powerful muscles? Why would you try (again, you can't) to create an imbalance in this necessary architecture?

Because with enough repetitive motion, the larger muscles will take over for the smaller muscles, leading to imbalance. Working smaller muscles in the rotator cuff isn't creating an imbalance, it's working to fix/avoid one.

See e.g., swimmers.

#2910990 - 02/08/19 07:00 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
Coat Hanger Offline

Swimming doesnt isolate any of the shoulder or focus stress on the rotator cuff muscles. Trying to isolate the muscles of the rotator cuff is unsafe because you wind up loading the muscles that arent designed to carry load in that way.

When you use the shoulder joint in the way it was designed to be used, it is impossible to have muscle imbalances. Compound movements will always deliver the proper amount of stress to all the muscles in the shoulder group in the exact way the shoulder was designed to receive this stress.

Over use injuries of the shoulder are extremely common and are notoriously nagging. What are you going to do, not surf?

The best way to address a common case of shoulder tendinitis is to PROPERLY overhead press with a barbell, beginning with light weights and higher rep ranges, and increasing the weight while lowering the rep range over time. Once the subjective amount of relief is realized, begin to train your shoulders for strength because going through life like a weak female is only going to cause more issues.

#2910994 - 02/08/19 07:03 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
Coat Hanger Offline

BTW, muscle imbalances are bullshit. They simply dont happen unless you do something very specific to cause them.

#2910995 - 02/08/19 07:09 PM Re: Best shoulder therapy exercises? [Re: GromsDad]
flyinraptr Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Hacienda Iguana, Nicaragua
Good thread - i was dealing with shoulder issues all last season as well. Long story short - tried multiple therapies related to my shoulder that would provide some short term relief - but after a couple surf sessions the issues/pain would return. After doing some research - found some interesting articles on secondary pain - whereas issues with shoulder pain could be originating from the neck. So started incorporating some basic neck exercises to strengthen my neck. I had been previously informed by a chiropractor that i had a lot of scar tissue in my neck/shoulders (from a car accident over a decade ago). When i started doing the basic neck exercises i could literally hear the scar tissue crunching and breaking up. I was at the point where i was considering wearing a compression shoulder sleeve while surfing - after about a month of doing the neck strengthening exercises on a daily basis - i've noticed a huge difference with pain relief and range of motion - to the point of not needing the compression sleeve and noticing a lot more power/flexibility with paddling. Interestingly - a swell hit and i spent a lot of time in the water and stopped doing the daily routine for 3 or 4 days and lo and behold the shoulder pain returned - albeit not as severe. So for me to stay in the water - doing the basic neck exercises combined with static/yoga stretches etc - have to be part of my everyday routine. Looking back as i think about it - what is the most vulnerable part of your body when getting significantly pounded on a wave - to me has to be the neck. In fact - my shoulder issues began after doing a face plant on an OH sized wave - where i didn't get my arms in front me in time. I remember feeling an electrical shock from my neck all the way down my arm. So i think it makes sense to work on strengthening the neck muscles and so far i'm seeing some positive results.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32