REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Pyzel Phantom Review #2825878
07/25/18 08:13 PM
07/25/18 08:13 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
This one looks really good. I like it when he rides a slightly longer board. The Fireball Fish looked too short under his feet, IMO. This one was sized perfect.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2825895
07/25/18 08:51 PM
07/25/18 08:51 PM
in da hood next to paradise
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Looked great as a quad. Only so so as a truster. Air17x looked better as a thruster than phantom as thruster

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: Havoc4k] #2825911
07/25/18 09:43 PM
07/25/18 09:43 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: Havoc4k
Looked great as a quad. Only so so as a truster. Air17x looked better as a thruster than phantom as thruster

Definitely looked best as a quad. I wish Noel would try more a more upright thruster template from time to time. The upright rear quads he rode really helped the board pivot nicely.

Legal Disclaimer: jkb's posts are written by his Posting Agent, whose views and opinions do not necessarily represent those of jkb.
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2825918
07/25/18 09:50 PM
07/25/18 09:50 PM
Big Asian Island
Z
ZeeHawk Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ZeeHawk  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Z

Big Asian Island
I think that's the first time you could really feel the stoke Noel had for a board beyond saying he liked it. He just sold a bunch of Pyzels!

Dogs are forever in the pushup position
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2826097
07/26/18 10:51 AM
07/26/18 10:51 AM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: jkb
This one looks really good. I like it when he rides a slightly longer board. The Fireball Fish looked too short under his feet, IMO. This one was sized perfect.
... .

Yes I also think the Phantom looks longer. Boards of HPSB length produce that accentuated arcing whip off the top which the judges love. However "looks" is the operative word - the boards are near as dammit the same length: 5' 6 1/2" for Fireball and 5' 7" for Phantom. So there is more than just a length difference going on there.

To compare Phantom and Fireball is not entirely fair in my books. Fireball is what I call a novelty shape whereas Phantom is somewhere in between a stubby shortboard/every day driver. As novelty boards go I thought the Fireball looked very good, as I was saying on this thread https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2813583#Post2813583

Noel Salas is what I consider to be an elite surfer who knows what size board works for him. Despite what others say I don't think he rides too low a volume - I see no evidence of bogging in his reviews. I wouldn't attempt to ride his weight to volume ratios, but then I'm not an elite surfer.

Of course longer boards look better to the judges, but some of the boards he is reviewing are "stubbies" - the point of them is not to look best in competition, but to have more fun in average waves. My own experiences of the stubby thruster is that I can more easily hit the lip multiple times, maybe not as satisfying as that perfect arcing off the lip, but in average conditions it can produce more fun - looking good does enter into the scene, I'm not being judged. I don't mean to stifle discussion - its all good. I'm just offering my opinion

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: Havoc4k] #2826103
07/26/18 12:54 PM
07/26/18 12:54 PM
santa cruz
A
averagejoe Offline
Miki Dora status
averagejoe  Offline
Miki Dora status
A

santa cruz
I rode my buddy's phantom as a tri fin a few times and really liked it
really fast
kind of the best small wave tri fin I can remember riding

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: Mr J] #2826176
07/26/18 05:14 PM
07/26/18 05:14 PM
Oceansuck
J
jkb Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
jkb  Offline OP
Phil Edwards status
J

Oceansuck
Originally Posted By: Mr J
Originally Posted By: jkb
... .

Yes I also think the Phantom looks longer. Boards of HPSB length produce that accentuated arcing whip off the top which the judges love. However "looks" is the operative word - the boards are near as dammit the same length: 5' 6 1/2" for Fireball and 5' 7" for Phantom. So there is more than just a length difference going on there.

To compare Phantom and Fireball is not entirely fair in my books. Fireball is what I call a novelty shape whereas Phantom is somewhere in between a stubby shortboard/every day driver. As novelty boards go I thought the Fireball looked very good, as I was saying on this thread https://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2813583#Post2813583

Noel Salas is what I consider to be an elite surfer who knows what size board works for him. Despite what others say I don't think he rides too low a volume - I see no evidence of bogging in his reviews. I wouldn't attempt to ride his weight to volume ratios, but then I'm not an elite surfer.

Of course longer boards look better to the judges, but some of the boards he is reviewing are "stubbies" - the point of them is not to look best in competition, but to have more fun in average waves. My own experiences of the stubby thruster is that I can more easily hit the lip multiple times, maybe not as satisfying as that perfect arcing off the lip, but in average conditions it can produce more fun - looking good does enter into the scene, I'm not being judged. I don't mean to stifle discussion - its all good. I'm just offering my opinion

Yeah, you're right. Not much difference in length (and width) between those two. The fireball fish looked shorter to me. Not sure why.

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2826204
07/26/18 06:24 PM
07/26/18 06:24 PM
D
daave Offline
Nep status
daave  Offline
Nep status
D

I think a swallow pushes your pad/stance up ever so slightly. Not sure if this is accurate or not but I've always felt it...

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: daave] #2826224
07/26/18 06:54 PM
07/26/18 06:54 PM
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted By: daave
I think a swallow pushes your pad/stance up ever so slightly. Not sure if this is accurate or not but I've always felt it...

ya i ve defly noticed this.

The postings of this user are merely opinion and are posted by the users posting agent who may have different opinions than that of the user
�I think the USA "made in america" board builders "marketing" gimmick falls more inline with a cult than the firewire following� -deforest
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2826232
07/26/18 07:12 PM
07/26/18 07:12 PM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
Part of the problem with my subscorcher2. Stupid leash plug placement.

Anyone order a phantom? Trying to mull over where I want it to fit in the quiver. Thinking something like 60 x 19 1/4 x 2 5/16 to end up around mid 28L ballpark.

Boards in the quiver nearby range are GX squash at 510 x 19 1/2 x 2 5/16 @28.4L and GX round tail at 61 x 19 x 2 5/16 @28.7L.

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: Havoc4k] #2826234
07/26/18 07:36 PM
07/26/18 07:36 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

Hmmmm, maybe... but for how often you're standing on the front of your pad I don't think it makes a difference. In general people put the cutout on the bottom of the pad around the leash plug, and I dont think shapers are putting leash plugs further up on swallow tail boards compared to others. shrug

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: 92122] #2826444
07/27/18 03:49 AM
07/27/18 03:49 AM
H
Havoc4k Offline
Billy Hamilton status
Havoc4k  Offline
Billy Hamilton status
H

Originally Posted By: 92122

Hmmmm, maybe... but for how often you're standing on the front of your pad I don't think it makes a difference. In general people put the cutout on the bottom of the pad around the leash plug, and I dont think shapers are putting leash plugs further up on swallow tail boards compared to others. shrug

foot moves around a lot. swallowtail sinks easier from same position from tip of tail as squash. look at how far up the leash plugs r on those fishes.

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2897319
01/12/19 09:23 PM
01/12/19 09:23 PM
Beast Coast
C
ciscojaws Offline
Michael Peterson status
ciscojaws  Offline
Michael Peterson status
C

Beast Coast
Those of you who have a Phantom - further review? Anyone running it as a quad?

I’m just here to drink some beer and ride high volume boards.
Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2897360
01/13/19 02:06 AM
01/13/19 02:06 AM
PNW
A
Aruka Online content
Miki Dora status
Aruka  Online Content
Miki Dora status
A

PNW
I have one.

XTR 6'1 x 19 3/4" x 2 7/16" 30.4L

Squarsh tail.

It's been somewhat hit or miss but when the conditions are right I really like it. It's not a great groveler, it wants some decent waves to come alive. I think the description made me think it would be better in mushy or smaller waves but to me it feels like a little too much rocker for crap surf. Despite the wider outline and deeper concave it still has more of a good wave curve to it compared to something like the Stamps GX so it doesn't quite have the low end that the GX does. Good waist to overhead waves and it feels great. Really good on rail like the Ghost but with a bit more built in speed. Easier to throw around and get the tail free.

I've got probably 15 or so long sessions on it. Tried a bunch of dif fin sets and settled on the NVS AM2's in G10 thrusters as the favorites so far. Unlike the Ghost this board feels like it needs some large fins to keep the tail planted.

I ran some different quad sets and actually liked it more than expected. Not usually a fan of squash tails as quads. It had a bit more drive and better low end and still had some good pivot but I dunno, just been riding thrusters more lately and digging the control off the bottom and release off the top.

If I could do it over I'd go an inch longer.

Re: Pyzel Phantom Review [Re: jkb] #2897442
01/13/19 01:18 PM
01/13/19 01:18 PM
S
SharkBoy Offline
Miki Dora status
SharkBoy  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

what sizes does Salas ride of the Ghost, phantom and gremlin?

Considering these as a three board quiver for my new house in portugal smile
me 5'8" 165-170

Like a blind man at an orgie, I was gonna have to feel my way around.
Page 1 of 2 1 2