REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: ghostshaper] #2895796
01/09/19 02:40 AM
01/09/19 02:40 AM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: ghostshaper

I'm not sensitized, but I read it was from glassers using acetone to clean up, just like they do w/ PE. I don't use acetone. I just use Gojo or any other pumice hand cleaner. The claim is that acetone is the solvent that carries the epoxy into your body and causes someone to become sensitized.

I was sensetised (symptoms were blistering rash from vapour alone). I never used acetone. Then I became de-sensetised - stopped for 6 months and restarted with a different epoxy, but I am probably very very vulnerable to re-sensetisation now and I broke out into a similar rash more recently from sanding the shine off a skateboard deck to put the griptape on.

Josh Dowling former FW tech expert and composite builder under his own name now sensetised and works in an epoxy free workshop. As a result of his epoxy sensetisation he can't touch polyurethane finish either.

Caramel Sea who posts here is sensetised.

You are doing the right thing, but don't take it for granted, some get sensetised after years of trouble free exposure.

There are anecdotal stories from boatbuilders who got cancer and blamed their polyester/styrene/acetone exposure, but not solid stats apparently. Its definitively bad, but as one of the builders on a recent podcasts said (I think part 4 of parmenter), the glassers of poly that he knows are still alive and kicking.

Last edited by Mr J; 01/09/19 02:41 AM.
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2896081
01/09/19 08:47 PM
01/09/19 08:47 PM
92122 Offline
Billy Hamilton status
92122  Offline
Billy Hamilton status

In many ways, I am all about good pricing, but tend to gravitate toward higher end products after doing the research.

That said, even though I don't surf that much (or that hard) I have no issues spending $700 - $800 on a quality board made in the U.S... and I don't see that changing, ever, unless I invest that amount in a board that doesn't last like I think it should.

"Success consists of going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm"
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2896282
01/10/19 07:56 AM
01/10/19 07:56 AM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
The GSI in the pic is EPS.

Posted a few days ago on the surtech Au Nz feed.

Link from instagram bio

https://l.instagram.com/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.shop-eat-surf.com%2F2019%2F01%2Fhaydenshapes-announces-new-global-distribution-partnership%2F&e=ATOiYjRyelEbHjyMTbvY_Dma09hsClMXwntoX34pSmIpezw_SSdP8b0a7lj4AIoc94Vlr4NVYiDaAsID

https://www.shop-eat-surf.com/2019/01/haydenshapes-announces-new-global-distribution-partnership/

key points:
1. HS to part company with GSI - amicably they say.
2. HS to team up with surf tech
3. Stock shapes to be built by Cobra
4. Haydenshapes Australia to build custom shapes

So maybe we will see some HS quality to come out of Asia.

Colan Australia manufacturer of composite fibres has liked the instagram post.

I would think that between the two of them surf tech and cobra must have more high end composite surfboard building experience and expertise than any other outfit in the world, so maybe a chance for Australian domestic builders to learn something about composite building from them.

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: Mr J] #2896290
01/10/19 11:16 AM
01/10/19 11:16 AM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
lifestyle corporation,GSI spin right round, ransom, surfboard sales light the world, much water, dream big sleep little, secret hippy stank, go soft young man, snake still make egg but been infertile like globally, more lightening bottle or bag, coxswain at bilge and helm, R. said it, he wait, boat still float to nirvana

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2897112
01/12/19 09:37 AM
01/12/19 09:37 AM
H
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

I was given a Firewire in LFT "tech" with a very slight crease from a mate of my brother.

It's got a couple of dings that I just taped over because I couldn't be bothered. These dings still leak just like any other EPS core boards I've had. It certainly ain't impervious to water.

Also, LFT is probably the furthest thing from a durable build IMO.

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: Hopeless] #2897147
01/12/19 02:26 PM
01/12/19 02:26 PM
Norf Cackalacka
S
surfwhere Offline
Gerry Lopez status
surfwhere  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
S

Norf Cackalacka
They use EPS not XPS

LFT is their lowest cost construction. Cheap black paper down center to give it a similar look to the competition who actually use carbon. That and other stuff also make room in the margin to pay KS for use of his name. Previous FW feels far from being as trendy as they once were. More flexy even more breaky but they're killing many birds with one stone.

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: Hopeless] #2897388
01/13/19 03:35 AM
01/13/19 03:35 AM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Hopeless
I was given a Firewire in LFT "tech" with a very slight crease from a mate of my brother.

It's got a couple of dings that I just taped over because I couldn't be bothered. These dings still leak just like any other EPS core boards I've had. It certainly ain't impervious to water.

Also, LFT is probably the furthest thing from a durable build IMO.

So does that mean that you put a hole through the outer glass and punctured the high density foam skin all the way through to the EPS? Bad water suckage would mean a noticeable increase in weight. Also evidence of absorption would be if left in a warm place water will be bubbling and trickling out of the ding. Or did you ding the rail area?

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2897755
01/14/19 10:13 AM
01/14/19 10:13 AM
H
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

Hi Mr J, there's a hole in the rail. It sucks and bubbles water just like all other EPS boards I've had over the years.

In a couple of other places the deck skin (which looks like PVC) is starting to separate from the foam beneath it - quite evident near the edges.

Also, the glass is EXTREMELY soft on the bottom. Doing the usual pushing the heel of your thumb into the board on the bottom - it almost completely gives way. Much softer than any other board I've tried

Last edited by Hopeless; 01/14/19 10:14 AM.
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: Hopeless] #2898413
01/15/19 08:58 AM
01/15/19 08:58 AM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
thanks for the description Hopeless. EPS and water suckage can be a real problem in a variety of builds. Sounds like there is no hull HD skin if it gives in to the thumb press test so easily. Is it an ex team board, or a normal retail offering?

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2898415
01/15/19 09:23 AM
01/15/19 09:23 AM
H
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

It's a normal retail board as far as I know. The skin is only on the deck and stops just shy of the rail as shown on the "technology" page for LFT here. It's on the interface between the edge of the deck skin and the rail - an obvious weak spot.

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: Hopeless] #2899011
01/16/19 07:57 AM
01/16/19 07:57 AM
Melbourne Australia
M
Mr J Offline
Nep status
Mr J  Offline
Nep status
M

Melbourne Australia
Originally Posted By: Hopeless
It's a normal retail board as far as I know. The skin is only on the deck and stops just shy of the rail as shown on the "technology" page for LFT here. It's on the interface between the edge of the deck skin and the rail - an obvious weak spot.

ah yes, no hull skin on LFT! For some reason quick search of firewire technology sent me https://firewiresurfboards.com/technology/helium and here https://firewiresurfboards.com/technology/linear-flex-technology which gives precious little detail, whereas the page you linked spells it out.

LFT has a 1.5 lb core which should leave enough in the weight budget for a strong epoxy composite lam - surftech's TLPC got a bullet proof build with a 1.5 lb core.

LFT says just "top sandwich cloth" whereas Helium and Timbertek specify "top and bottom deck sandwich cloth". So I take it that LFT deck is not a true sandwich, whereas Helium and Timbertek are.

On paper Helium looks a lot better - true sandwich with a very light density core of 0.8 which should leave plenty in the weight budget for a very strong epoxy composite shell. Balsa in the rails looks a vulnerability though - all pawlonia wood would be better.

Last edited by Mr J; 01/16/19 08:20 AM. Reason: changed my mind about the the LFT 1.5 core
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2899018
01/16/19 08:55 AM
01/16/19 08:55 AM
around san diego
S
sd_101 Offline
Michael Peterson status
sd_101  Offline
Michael Peterson status
S

around san diego
For reference, what is the foam density of styrofoam cups? What about coolers of yesteryear?

Serious question.

Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2899024
01/16/19 09:17 AM
01/16/19 09:17 AM
I
indodreams Offline
Nep status
indodreams  Offline
Nep status
I

IMHO in regard to FW as a guide in order

Feel as close as possible to PU/PE

LFT
Hellium
FST
Timbertek

In regard to durability

LFT
(then huge huge gap)
Hellium
Timbertek
FST

LFT is more that build for guys that would normally ride PU/PE personally i don't see the point the durability is not that different to a PU/PE board but your risk of a ding that sucks water is there, might as well just ride PU/PE.

All the other builds give much more durability, I've never had any issues with dings sucking water with FST, Timbertek, Hellium because the durability is such that to get an open ding you would need to smash it onto something very very hard even on rock jumps where I've banged my FST boards on rocks I've had trouble finding a scratch.

Only time I've had an open ding/crack has been with airline travel so I've quickly sealed it before surfing.

With PU/PE in the water you get a lot of dings and shatters from your body actually hitting your board, you foot, knee, head....Id say it could also happen with LFT but never happened to me with FST or Timbertech or even Helium.

Apart from airline travel second place i use to get my boards beaten up was in my car or rock jumps, both you can jump in the water with open dings/cracks without knowing, i don't get these dings anymore.

The EPS sucking water things at first was a concern or worry to me, but now its not even something i worry about, its just so rare its not worth thinking about.

LFT yeah different ball game though...

Last edited by indodreams; 01/16/19 09:22 AM.
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2899031
01/16/19 09:59 AM
01/16/19 09:59 AM
Lennox Head.
F
freeride76 Offline
Nep status
freeride76  Offline
Nep status
F

Lennox Head.
LFT feels nothing like pu/pe to ride.

All the sailors with their seasick mamas hear the sirens on the shore.
Re: Finally, a QUALITY Asian import surfboard [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2899048
01/16/19 11:02 AM
01/16/19 11:02 AM
H
Hopeless Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Hopeless  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
H

I agree. It feels like EPS (funny that).

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4