REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: GromsDad] #2896369
01/10/19 04:38 PM
01/10/19 04:38 PM
Petak Island
C
casa_mugrienta Offline
Duke status
casa_mugrienta  Offline
Duke status
C

Petak Island
Originally Posted By: GromsDad
Originally Posted By: hal9000
It's incredible how many parents pimp their kids out to the "industry". One thing that amazes me about surfing is how so many people can't just do it for fun, they have to also try to be part of the "industry".

Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive grom-surfing. My personal favorite aspect is the parent run social media platforms run by parents trying to create a brand for their micro-grom with inciteful posts on Insta and fakebook that the grom clearly could never have actually written.

From the instagram of a 7 year old stupergrom:

"SO stoked to have had the privilege to attend Rip Curl's GromKook Challenge!!!! SO awesome to hang with such an AMAZING group of young surfers!!!! And shout out to Banzai Bowls for all the goodies!!! You guys ROCK!"

Q: Secret aspiration?
A: Buy Pezman's mag and turn it into a piece of crap.
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer] #2896394
01/10/19 05:14 PM
01/10/19 05:14 PM
San Luis Obispo
R
RemyXO Offline
Michael Peterson status
RemyXO  Offline
Michael Peterson status
R

San Luis Obispo
!!!, !!!, !!, !!!!!!!!!!

Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: casa_mugrienta] #2896470
01/10/19 07:34 PM
01/10/19 07:34 PM
West of the Atlantic. East of...
G
GromsDad Online content
Duke status
GromsDad  Online Content
Duke status
G

West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta
It's incredible how many parents pimp their kids out to the "industry". One thing that amazes me about surfing is how so many people can't just do it for fun, they have to also try to be part of the "industry".

Welcome to the wonderful world of competitive grom-surfing. My personal favorite aspect is the parent run social media platforms run by parents trying to create a brand for their micro-grom with inciteful posts on Insta and fakebook that the grom clearly could never have actually written.

"SO stoked to have had the privilege to attend Rip Curl's GromKook Challenge!!!! SO awesome to hang with such an AMAZING group of young surfers!!!! And shout out to Banzai Bowls for all the goodies!!! You guys ROCK!"

Yep. That's how the game is played.

“I always thank God I didn't go to film school because I would have learned that I couldn't be doing what I've been doing already.” - Bruce Brown,
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: CCKeith] #2896483
01/10/19 08:19 PM
01/10/19 08:19 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Originally Posted By: CCKeith
Originally Posted By: QuadFin
Why sad? She obivously have some skill. And to make high level in sports, must start at young age. Look at Chloe Kim. Start very young age, competition, and now set for life with gold medal, easy life, lots of money.

This girl already surf ulu, kauai, northshore, traveling world. Exciting I wish I had as a kid.

It is state of society in that ads help make followers. But in a way always been like that. Famous people make movie ticket sales, even before internet. Band sells tshirts and goods at concert.

and we wonder why they're so entitled. i hope one of these groms burns you and blows a fart in your face during his bottom turn.

Why do you think they're all entitled?

Some are. Some aren't. Some will be pros, some won't. Some parents over-do it, some do it just for fun.

Doesn't seem like that big a deal.

I sense there's a lot of jealousy towards little kids who already surf better than most adults.

Bock you
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: GromsDad] #2896485
01/10/19 08:22 PM
01/10/19 08:22 PM
S
StuAzole Offline
Tom Curren status
StuAzole  Offline
Tom Curren status
S

Originally Posted By: casa_mugrienta

Yep. That's how the game is played.

You're right. Kids have sponsors etc. and this is how the game's played. It is what it is.

I will say that at a certain point, other kids get tired of seeing the self-promotion. My youngest has stopped following even some of his best friends because every post was a commercial. Your little buddy in NJ might be the worst of them all shrug

Bock you
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: Muscles] #2896497
01/10/19 08:55 PM
01/10/19 08:55 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
Originally Posted By: Muscles
The worst are the guys on Instagram who are mid to late 20's and are still holding on to the dream. They list some third rate no name sponsors in their profile and post clips of them "ripping". If you're not on a major contract at that point, it is probably not going to happen.

Haha, I've got a few friends in this category. Some even into their late 30's. They do collect checks, but it seems so silly.

Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: Clayster] #2896506
01/10/19 09:09 PM
01/10/19 09:09 PM
Urbana, Illinois
H
hal9000 Offline
Tom Curren status
hal9000  Offline
Tom Curren status
H

Urbana, Illinois
Originally Posted By: Clayster
If the surf industry had any decency, it would come up with development programs for kids that at least allow them to go to school through high school. Instead, they all drop out, are home schooled, all in the hope that they make it to the tour, and can stay there. It's horrible. I bet none of the surfers on the WSL actually attended and graduated from a high school.

Pro surfers may be the most poorly educated--and socially maladjusted-- of all professional athletes.

This x 1 million.

"I'm sorry, Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer] #2896516
01/10/19 09:23 PM
01/10/19 09:23 PM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!
For some reason I remember that my Mom+Dad were stocked
when I got good enough to get sponsored 4 decades ago. Sooo much cheaper to have+use some great new surf~gear, or for free even. I mean surfboards were expensive back then, $120.00 for a new custom board from Pacific West, so when Con Surfshop gave a young me+JP, Dexter, Van Dusen+Sicner a free new trade~in hand-shaped board by Bill Urbany or Mike Olivares, we took it, ya know!?! You would have too, yep, yep, yep...

Surely each + every 1 of you who are parents
do not like paying full retail for lil' Juniors surf equipment, right?
Nope, nope, nope...
wave2

Last edited by RWVBWL; 01/10/19 11:45 PM.
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer] #2896803
01/11/19 05:23 PM
01/11/19 05:23 PM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii
I'm running a google ad campaign for a client and sorting through searched terms for ad placements, I just saw a bunch of searches for "boost son's instagram" and "grow daughters instagram" LOL

Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: hal9000] #2896820
01/11/19 05:55 PM
01/11/19 05:55 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content
Duke status
S

Tower 13
If the surf industry had any decency, it would come up with development programs for kids that at least allow them to go to school through high school. Instead, they all drop out, are home schooled, all in the hope that they make it to the tour, and can stay there. It's horrible. I bet none of the surfers on the WSL actually attended and graduated from a high school.

Pro surfers may be the most poorly educated--and socially maladjusted-- of all professional athletes.

This x 1 million.

I think this is what bothers many people including myself. It scares me that my kids won't be able to afford to live in SD unless they are at least in the upper middle class or higher pay scale. What are these kids going to have to fall back on? I'm proficient at hashtagging?

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: silentbutdeadly] #2896833
01/11/19 06:27 PM
01/11/19 06:27 PM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

I think this is what bothers many people including myself. It scares me that my kids won't be able to afford to live in SD unless they are at least in the upper middle class or higher pay scale. What are these kids going to have to fall back on? I'm proficient at hashtagging?

My Mom,
after I graduated Venice High, got re~married.
When the rent for house I grew up from age 13 onward to an adult was raised to $1,000.00 a month, well she+her new dude, her last husband, a machinist, had to move in~land to cheaper Culver City. My Mom+real Dad never could afford the down payment for an L.A. house, even waaay back in the '60's, '70's, '80's.

You got kids?
I don't, so take this from the eldest of my siblings with a grain of salt~water,
ya know?

Try to buy a house, condo, some kinda property.
And make sure your inheritance sheee~it is in order.
Pre~nup too if ya get re~married, so your ol' house, where the kids grew up,
still belongs to them, not your newest most recent wife. Oh ya, get some decent life insurance in case you die before you plan on doin' so. Your kids will be appreciative...
wave2

Last edited by RWVBWL; 01/11/19 06:31 PM.
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: RWVBWL] #2896839
01/11/19 06:40 PM
01/11/19 06:40 PM
Tower 13
S
silentbutdeadly Online content
Duke status
silentbutdeadly  Online Content
Duke status
S

Tower 13
Originally Posted By: RWVBWL
Originally Posted By: silentbutdeadly

My Mom,
after I graduated Venice High, got re~married.
When the rent for house I grew up from age 13 onward to an adult was raised to $1,000.00 a month, well she+her new dude, her last husband, a machinist, had to move in~land to cheaper Culver City. My Mom+real Dad never could afford the down payment for an L.A. house, even waaay back in the '60's, '70's, '80's.

You got kids?
I don't, so take this from the eldest of my siblings with a grain of salt~water,
ya know?

Try to buy a house, condo, some kinda property.
And make sure your inheritance sheee~it is in order.
Pre~nup too if ya get re~married, so your ol' house, where the kids grew up,
still belongs to them, not your newest most recent wife. Oh ya, get some decent life insurance in case you die before you plan on doin' so. Your kids will be appreciative...
wave2

Funny you post this. My buddy's 3 bedroom 1 bath on Culver City is worth 1.3 million shocked

Yeah we do own but I can't see us in a position to give away anything at retirement age.

I did get supplemental life insurance so in case I go at least the wife can keep the house. If she leaves me I'm fucked... but who isn't?

"The size / dimensions don't matter. What does matter is that it's flammable. Because you should set it on fire and get a real surfboard" Witchipoo
Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer] #2896865
01/11/19 07:38 PM
01/11/19 07:38 PM
Los Angeles~California!
R
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status
RWVBWL  Offline
Nep status
R

Los Angeles~California!
^^^
Happiness in life!
wave2

Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: hal9000] #2896884
01/11/19 08:19 PM
01/11/19 08:19 PM
HI
N
noone Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
noone  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
N

HI

This x 1 million.

Motocross is just as bad, believe me. They start them on little 50's and the parents yell and scream at them around the track. The sport is a zillion times more expensive than surfing, too. Many of these kids don't go to school at all, some are home schooled. Try talking to a pro moto guy. Not the brightest either!

Re: Grom pro pimping! [Re: DerDer] #2896894
01/11/19 08:53 PM
01/11/19 08:53 PM
Palm Coast , Florida
G
Greg Griffin Offline
Duke status
Greg Griffin  Offline
Duke status
G

Palm Coast , Florida

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4