REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: MrDobalina] #2895743
01/09/19 12:21 AM
01/09/19 12:21 AM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: MrDobalina
Originally Posted By: Random Guy
A lot of California has great weather for homeless living. Ever try being homeless in New York in February ? No, because it’s too f*cking cold!
How about Florida in August?
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Outdoors all day every day
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

I read recently that the homeless population by city was
1. NYC
2. LA
3 Seattle
4 SD
5 San Jose

Shocking to me, and probably shocking to those that eat up the Anti SF hype.

Not shocking? All major tech hubs

round up the homeless on the east coast and give them a one way bus ticket to to LA. that's what an uber driver was ranting to me about one time.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: MrDobalina] #2895744
01/09/19 12:29 AM
01/09/19 12:29 AM
San Francisco, CA
M
Mr Doof Offline
Duke status
Mr Doof  Offline
Duke status
M

San Francisco, CA
Originally Posted By: Mr Doof
Originally Posted By: NDG80
Commuting stresses me out more than paying too much for rent. I walk to work now and it’s pricelss to me.

This is why I chose to buy in San Francisco than the East Bay.

Great minds think alike! cheers

I wish I could buy in SF.
I'm struggling to keep our rent controlled apartment now that our roommate has left.

Yeah, I know that scenario....happened to me too.

So, I moved in with sweetie-pie rather than deal with another set of roommate(s).

My rent cost tripled with that move, so I said, "Hey we could live frugally and buy a place and maybe just pay another $200 each that what we are both paying now.....what do you think?"

Enter the 30-year rent control plan and matching diet of a whole lot of potatoes, brussel sprouts, 3-day old bread, and a new found appreciate for dear old dad's cheap beer.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: stu dog] #2895764
01/09/19 01:03 AM
01/09/19 01:03 AM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

Originally Posted By: stu dog
A lot of California has great weather for homeless living. Ever try being homeless in New York in February ? No, because it’s too f*cking cold!
How about Florida in August?
Hell no!
But Los Angeles ?
Outdoors all day every day
Just sayin is all
cowabunga
rg

I read recently that the homeless population by city was
1. NYC
2. LA
3 Seattle
4 SD
5 San Jose

Shocking to me, and probably shocking to those that eat up the Anti SF hype.

Not shocking? All major tech hubs

round up the homeless on the east coast and give them a one way bus ticket to to LA. that's what an uber driver was ranting to me about one time.

I’m pretty sure Giuliani put them all on a train to DC a few years ago
Unfortunately for the nyc homeless, he wasn’t going to spring for a cross country Amtrak ticket.
cowabunga
rg

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Mr Doof] #2895767
01/09/19 01:05 AM
01/09/19 01:05 AM
R
Random Guy Offline
Duke status
Random Guy  Offline
Duke status
R

Commuting stresses me out more than paying too much for rent. I walk to work now and it’s pricelss to me.

I wish I could buy in SF.
I'm struggling to keep our rent controlled apartment now that our roommate has left.

Yeah, I know that scenario....happened to me too.

So, I moved in with sweetie-pie rather than deal with another set of roommate(s).

My rent cost tripled with that move, so I said, "Hey we could live frugally and buy a place and maybe just pay another $200 each that what we are both paying now.....what do you think?"

Enter the 30-year rent control plan and matching diet of a whole lot of potatoes, brussel sprouts, 3-day old bread, and a new found appreciate for dear old dad's cheap beer.

Hey, you also got a pretty awesome citrus supply out of that deal too!
cowabunga
rg

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Random Guy] #2895782
01/09/19 01:32 AM
01/09/19 01:32 AM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Mr Doof] #2895800
01/09/19 02:55 AM
01/09/19 02:55 AM
LA
N
NDG80 Offline
Gerry Lopez status
NDG80  Offline
Gerry Lopez status
N

LA

Yea wish I could buy in proper LA. Its looking like renting for two more years than probably buy a 2 bedroom condo maybe over in miracle mile which would be a 10 minute commute. Congrats on locking something down in SF.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: NDG80] #2895850
01/09/19 11:14 AM
01/09/19 11:14 AM
P
PPK96754 Offline
Michael Peterson status
PPK96754  Offline
Michael Peterson status
P

I truly did for decades. But you guy's keeps fugging the wife and spawning kids. Line ups are crowded now and it's mayhem in Anaheim along the river.

Spawner unite! dancing

It's just you, and your ability to paddle and surf - catching & riding waves is all on you, period ~ ~ ~ MitchellC
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: stu dog] #2896019
01/09/19 05:28 PM
01/09/19 05:28 PM
Orange County
L
littlewave Offline
Michael Peterson status
littlewave  Offline
Michael Peterson status
L

Orange County

Goodbye Apple Pan. bawling

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: littlewave] #2896028
01/09/19 05:50 PM
01/09/19 05:50 PM
S
SBSteve Offline
Miki Dora status
SBSteve  Offline
Miki Dora status
S

Originally Posted By: littlewave

Mom used to take me there once a week when I was a kid. Loved the hickory burger. cookin
Haven't been to that area in decades, probably wouldn't recognize it.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: SBSteve] #2896032
01/09/19 06:00 PM
01/09/19 06:00 PM
CA
S
stu dog Online content
Duke status
stu dog  Online Content
Duke status
S

CA
Originally Posted By: SBSteve
Originally Posted By: littlewave

Mom used to take me there once a week when I was a kid. Loved the hickory burger. cookin
Haven't been to that area in decades, probably wouldn't recognize it.

Pico hasn't changed much. except for the big ass building near the rail line, which I don't know what's going into there. but Norms is gone. I'm sure Google is going to change the exterior of the mall. Bought in '09 around there. was blown away when I had my place reappraised this year.

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: GDaddy] #2896064
01/09/19 07:27 PM
01/09/19 07:27 PM
LBNY
S
subway Offline
Phil Edwards status
subway  Offline
Phil Edwards status
S

LBNY
word. i could have afforded a decent (relatively speaking) apartment in many Manhattan neighborhoods within a 15 minute walk or short subway ride to my office. but i chose to buy way out on Long Beach, and commute 2.5 hours R/T every day to live at the beach.

positives outweigh the commute, and not just for surf. and luckily my commute is on a comfortable train, where time isn't really wasted. it's reading, working, getting pummeled at scrabble by Kento etc. I even do head space meditations sometimes.

Being in a car 2.5 hours a day? i don't think i could do it. if that were the case, i would probably have gone with the overpriced, undersized place within walking distance

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: subway] #2896706
01/11/19 06:07 AM
01/11/19 06:07 AM
K
ko25ok Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
ko25ok  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
K

Originally Posted By: subway
word. i could have afforded a decent (relatively speaking) apartment in many Manhattan neighborhoods within a 15 minute walk or short subway ride to my office. but i chose to buy way out on Long Beach, and commute 2.5 hours R/T every day to live at the beach.

positives outweigh the commute, and not just for surf. and luckily my commute is on a comfortable train, where time isn't really wasted. it's reading, working, getting pummeled at scrabble by Kento etc. I even do head space meditations sometimes.

Being in a car 2.5 hours a day? i don't think i could do it. if that were the case, i would probably have gone with the overpriced, undersized place within walking distance

Commuting by train is much much different than a car. I could handle a train. No effing way I could ever deal with a long commute by car

Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: Random Guy] #2896709
01/11/19 06:23 AM
01/11/19 06:23 AM
Honolulu, Hawaii
R
Racer1 Offline
Phil Edwards status
Racer1  Offline
Phil Edwards status
R

Honolulu, Hawaii

I’m pretty sure Giuliani put them all on a train to DC a few years ago

I was going to say, DC should be on that list. Was there in September and it is very much in your face. Up there with Seattle and SF. Not quite LA though.

Last edited by Racer1; 01/11/19 06:24 AM.
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: ko25ok] #2896761
01/11/19 02:50 PM
01/11/19 02:50 PM
HB, CA
I
ifallalot Online sick
Duke status
ifallalot  Online Sick
Duke status
I

HB, CA
Originally Posted By: ko25ok
Originally Posted By: subway

Commuting by train is much much different than a car. I could handle a train. No effing way I could ever deal with a long commute by car

I'm the exact opposite. I'd much rather have my own personal space rather than share it with people.

My entire existence is a failed gotcha
Re: Do you love L.A as much as I do? [Re: MrDobalina] #2896784
01/11/19 04:35 PM
01/11/19 04:35 PM
F
Fritzo Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
Fritzo  Offline
Legend (inyourownmind)
F

I may have an in-law available in April. On 48th Ave & LIncoln.

Our economies and housing need to be thought of as an ecosystem, one that just needs re-balancing.

The tech industry is a base-economy in CA, meaning it's a net positive, an exporter or service, and importer of wealth.

That brings more money and opportunity to every industry, real estate, architecture, entertainment etc... So regardless of what industry you're involved with, there should theoretically be an opportunity here, unless of course, the industries are expanding so quickly that the local housing market can't handle the sheer number of those seeking to capitalize on the opportunity.

Nobody is to blame, particularly when the gain in wealth occurred so quickly. It's now 10 years from 2009, what municipality could reasonably be expected to adjust so quickly?

Moving somewhere more affordable means going somewhere with less opportunity, so I don't blame people from trying to stick it out where the better opportunity lies. It also just so happens that this area has better weather and amenities too.

I manage and sell apartment buildings. Those 6% fees and 2.5% commissions look frankly $htyy in Iowa.

Creating housing and adapting to changing economies and demographics takes time. A boom like the last ten years is going to create winners and losers and there is very little our systems are able to do about it in sufficient time.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32