REMINDER: Siteowner has no obligation to monitor the Forums. However, Siteowner reserves the right to review the Materials submitted to or posted on the Forums, and remove, delete, redact or otherwise modify such Materials, in its sole discretion and for any reason whatsoever, at any time and from time to time, without notice or further obligation to you. Siteowner has no obligation to display or post any Materials provided by you. Siteowner reserves the right to disclose, at any time and from time to time, any information or Materials that Siteowner deems necessary or appropriate to satisfy any applicable law, regulation, contract obligation, legal or dispute process or government request. To further read the rules and terms of agreement of this Forum, click here.

Topic Options
#2896850 - 01/11/19 01:57 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
stu dog Online   content
Duke status

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Witchipoo
I knew I could count on you guys for practical advice. I'm doing PT, but with my insurance and other fuckery going on I can only get in once in a while. I'm doing the exercises they give me, but there's definitely something going on with my left rotator cuff. A tear or something. And I have numbness in my hands and tingling sensations shooting down my left arm. I'm on medication that causes some nasty side effects, including numbness and tingling and bone loss, so there's that too.\

might be the upper back, not the neck. my dad had the numbness in hands, tingling etc. it got so back his legs started becoming weak too. his hands weren't too functional. he got a splint kind of thing in his spine, can't remember exactly the procedure. after about a month the numbness when away and his legs gained strength back. maybe don't need something radical as surgery, but either a chiropractor or acupuncture in the back?

#2896888 - 01/11/19 03:35 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
el_calvo Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: NE
I knew I could count on you guys for practical advice. I'm doing PT, but with my insurance and other fuckery going on I can only get in once in a while. I'm doing the exercises they give me, but there's definitely something going on with my left rotator cuff. A tear or something. And I have numbness in my hands and tingling sensations shooting down my left arm. I'm on medication that causes some nasty side effects, including numbness and tingling and bone loss, so there's that too.

If you don't have an accurate diagnosis, the PT you are receiving could be doing more harm than good.

"there's definitely something going on with my left rotator cuff. A tear or something. And I have numbness in my hands and tingling sensations shooting down my left arm."

You need to know what the something is.

There is probably a really good orthopedic surgeon in your area who specializes in sports/work injuries of this type. It doesn't cost any more to see the best guy rather than the run of the mill doctor who is convenient.

Physical Therapists can be great but you need to know exactly what is happening for them to give you the help you need.

#2896896 - 01/11/19 03:59 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
patrolman Offline
Miki Dora status

I don't know much about the cuffs but I think they just have expiration dates.

Mine are starting to go bad and I've been going to a physical therapist for months now. Not much improvement, although the screaming pain I had is gone.

I am almost 60. I have a friend who is ten years older than me. Many years ago he gave me some good advice-

IF YOU WANT TO SURF FOR A LONG TIME, DON'T SURF FOR A LONG TIME.

Meaning, if you want to surf into old age, don't do three and four hour sessions. He claims the damage you do gets exponentially worse the longer you surf. If you're getting sore and you keep surfing you're doing damage.

I used to have what I call the "two hour alarm" where my shoulders would start hurting after two hours. Now it's really a one hour alarm but I try to ignore it and go for an hour and a half, especially now that there are decent waves. Of course I'm stupid like that. I should just catch five good ones and get out.

#2896906 - 01/11/19 04:29 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
WarrenC Offline
Michael Peterson status

I'm left handed and tore my left rotator (not that it matters but tearing your dominant arm just adds to the misery)
hurt so bad I didn't surf for quite some time, I simply couldn't paddle
one thing that has helped me is body surfing... put the fins on and get in the water and move around... swim.. its made a world of difference
there are many great recs posted here..
but as its been said a thousand times.. water time, there is nothing like it... start on the boogie... get in.. because you'll be forced to swim eventually.. highly rec swim fins as the pain rises in your shoulder you can push w your legs more to recover and get back on top of the water
yes you can do laps in a pool.. but being in the ocean rather than a pool also helps with your emotional state (as most of us know)

one hell of a story you have, congratulations

#2896908 - 01/11/19 04:32 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
92122 Offline
Gerry Lopez status

Honestly, just try it for where you are at right now... SO much more comfortable, and you can get covered on a 2 foot day again and again... You'll need swim fins for sure.

#2896910 - 01/11/19 04:54 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: brukuns]
GromsDad Online   content
Duke status

Loc: West of the Atlantic. East of...
Originally Posted By: brukuns
Originally Posted By: Duffy

This! Also, squeezing a medicine ball for for about 30 seconds, and repeat a few times. The internal rotation really helped me with a shoulder tendinitis I had.

Tell me more about this squeezing medicine ball thing. Struggling with shoulders still.
This is a bad day for the news media. Lets not kid ourselves, Toobin said on CNN. The larger message that a lot of people are going to take from this story is that the news media are a bunch of leftist liars who are dying to get the president, and theyre willing to lie to do it.

#2896914 - 01/11/19 05:05 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Random Guy Offline
Duke status

Ill attend this pity party
Hopefully you can get a diagnosis of the cause so you can be sure that the PT youre doing is the right PT and you get back in the water as quick as possible

To be honest, and not to minimize the disappointment youre experiencing, when I read the title of the post, I was thinking it was something way worse.
Hang in there
You will surf again!
cowabunga
rg

#2896945 - 01/11/19 06:27 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
SlicedFeet Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: Swarm Diego
I knew I could count on you guys for practical advice. I'm doing PT, but with my insurance and other fuckery going on I can only get in once in a while. I'm doing the exercises they give me, but there's definitely something going on with my left rotator cuff. A tear or something. And I have numbness in my hands and tingling sensations shooting down my left arm. I'm on medication that causes some nasty side effects, including numbness and tingling and bone loss, so there's that too.

Oh,
I experienced the same thing with numbness in the pinky and ring finger too with shoulder pain especially while surfing. It then later went into the middle finger and index, just on one side/arm. Ive had a bunch of MRIs for other issues, but what the MRI shows is happening is that the tightening of the Cervical Spine, C6, C7 around those nerves is occuring. Some may call it bone spurs or arthritus. Those nerves in the C6, C7, run from your neck, in the shoulder blade area to your fingers. The spine is shrinking around the nerve cords and thus inflamation and pain.

First was to knock out the inflamation. Prednisoe (steriod) for a few days, then 800mg Motrin. It worked for me. Then it was into PT with a bunch of specific excerices. It has really helped. No pain while paddleing or surfing.

******Follow Oceans# advice below...get an MRI (and go through the hoops first to get one) and go from there.

Edited by SlicedFeet (01/11/19 07:51 PM)

#2896979 - 01/11/19 07:27 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
ocean7847 Offline
Miki Dora status

Loc: the Injured Reserve
I don't know your insurance situation, but I do know that an erBB diagnosis and recommendation of PT exercises - while entirely well-meaning - is likely not the route you want to go. Wrong exercises can exacerbate it.

I strongly suggest pushing for an MRI through your insurance. They may require an x-ray, or exhaustion of PT first, but ultimately it should be something you can get done. Once you have a competent physician examine the MRI, you'll have a better idea what may be going wrong.

This coming from a guy who has had one shoulder worked on and the second coming up for a clean up in the future. I grew up doing literally all heavy shoulder-impact sports and have probably the mileage of a 70 year old. Our major joints simply wear down with enough use.

Anyway, chin up! I haven't surfed in two months - though its knee related - but you'll be back at it.

#2897045 - 01/11/19 09:54 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Central Cal
Sponging is an option. Kneeboarding might be a better option.

Consider it a transitional period.

ocean can attest.

#2897048 - 01/11/19 10:02 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
youcantbeserious Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Location Location
I've blown both of mine, multiple times. I have fvcked up shoulders.

First off, rest until they don't hurt. Bottom line. Then make this your life:

https://www.orthoinfo.org/globalassets/pdfs/2017-rehab_shoulder.pdf

You can come back. It worked for me. But the bottom line is this -- once you mess up your rotator cuffs, it is either surgery or you have to pack on the muscle to keep those things place. So... pack on the muscle.

You have a lot of surf years left in you Witchipoo. Never give up.

#2897077 - 01/11/19 11:42 PM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Leaverite Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Central Cal
You actually seem to be compatible. Kneeboardingwise.

#2897104 - 01/12/19 01:09 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
ringer Offline
Tom Curren status

Loc: Huntington Beach, California
Hi Witchi---

I don't have any advice, other than to get out into the ocean sometimes, on a bodyboard or otherwise. It'll make ya feel better. Stay strong.

#2897109 - 01/12/19 03:32 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
Retropete Offline
Michael Peterson status

Loc: Sunny Coast Qld Australia
I saw a post where someone with rotator cuff issues was able to continue surfing by knee paddling boards rather than prone paddling them. How do you feel about longboarding? I'm guessing not so fond.
Bodyboarding or paipos can be fun too.

#2897111 - 01/12/19 04:15 AM Re: Please Attend My Pity Party [Re: Witchipoo]
RWVBWL Offline
Nep status

jam_on

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Groundswell, Nameless60, r32